UFC on FOX 25, Weidman vs Gastelum: Saturday 7/22

Moderator: lilfishi22

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

UFC on FOX 25, Weidman vs Gastelum: Saturday 7/22 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Didn't see a thread, this is the next event. This Saturday.

Chris Weidman vs Kelvin Gastelum
Dennis Bermudez vs Darrin Elkins
Patrick Cummins vs Gian Villante
Jimmie Rivera vs Thomas Almedia

Lyman Good vs EZDS
Rafael Natal vs Eryk Anders
Ryan LaFlare vs Alex Oliveira
Damian Grabowski vs Chase Sherman

Kyle Bochniak vs Jeremy Kennedy
Brian Kelleher vs Marion Vera
Tim Johnson vs Junior Albini
Shane Burgos vs Godofredo Pepey
Chris Wade vs Frankie Perez

Look for Gastelum to not make weight or fail pee test for weed
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC on FOX 25, Weidman vs Gastelum: Saturday 7/22 

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Man that's a terrible fox card. I really only care about the main event. I was actually pissed because I can't watch this but I didn't realize the card was this weak.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Patrick Cummins vs Gian Villante...it won't be on anyone's radar as a morbid fight but my guess is both those two dudes will be eating from a straw before they are 50.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#4 » by Susan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Like Riviera/Almedia a lot. Don't wanna see Weidman fight again.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#5 » by tjumper78 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

post-usada weidman hasnt looked good at all... kelvin probably tko's him in the 3rd round.
i love rivera vs almeida fight. rivera is a new jersey boy.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm not sure I think Weidman's skid is due to USADA. I mean you never know with any fighter ever, but I think to be fair you have to look at each fighter's context a little more.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#7 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

REDDzone wrote:I'm not sure I think Weidman's skid is due to USADA. I mean you never know with any fighter ever, but I think to be fair you have to look at each fighter's context a little more.

Colby Covington has called-out Weidman pretty specifically. That it's a known thing he was on the juice.

Also, Long Island. Not a surprise that a lifelong athlete and hard dude from Long Island might have gotten ahold of some steroids.

His testosterone was also remarkably low against Vitor, you might remember.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,869

Post#8 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 am

REDDzone wrote:Man that's a terrible fox card. I really only care about the main event. I was actually pissed because I can't watch this but I didn't realize the card was this weak.

Was surprised this was a Fox Card. Don't think it has gotten much push either.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#9 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Susan wrote:Like Riviera/Almedia a lot. Don't wanna see Weidman fight again.

I don't want to see Riviera or Almedia lose :( great matchup though. Surprised a lot of people are going with Almedia but if that means everyone is hopping back on the hype train, i'm all for it.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I'm not sure I think Weidman's skid is due to USADA. I mean you never know with any fighter ever, but I think to be fair you have to look at each fighter's context a little more.

Colby Covington has called-out Weidman pretty specifically. That it's a known thing he was on the juice.

Also, Long Island. Not a surprise that a lifelong athlete and hard dude from Long Island might have gotten ahold of some steroids.

His testosterone was also remarkably low against Vitor, you might remember.

Did you really just cite a South Florida ATT bro call out as evidence of PED usage???

Although to be fair, I'm sure Colby knows it when he sees it.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Look I'm actually not a Weidman fan and I have no idea if he's on PEDs or used to be or not. I'm just saying there are lots of guys who get accused of that for losing a few fights after USADA was implemented, but when we dive into the context a little more it doesn't always hold up.

He was neck and neck with Rockhold until he started throwing spinning sh*t and got blasted off his back and never recovered. I'm not making excuses for the loss but he was not performing subpar in that fight, he made a tactical error. He was having a competitive fight with Romero and got caught with a big knee that would have KOed anyone, again its not like he didn't look like himself out there, wrestling with Romero. He had the controversial stoppage vs Mousasi. We argued this at the time and I thought he was on the way to losing that fight regardless, but it was controversial enough to appeal.

He just hasn't had huge performance drop-offs a la Vitor and Hendricks (at least to my eyes), despite his record.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,869

Post#12 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:He just hasn't had huge performance drop-offs a la Vitor and Hendricks (at least to my eyes), despite his record.

And before he might have been ovverrated a bit due to beating old Brazilians.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:He just hasn't had huge performance drop-offs a la Vitor and Hendricks (at least to my eyes), despite his record.

And before he might have been ovverrated a bit due to beating old Brazilians.

I thought about making this point yesterday but decided to just leave it alone. That's the other funny part. "Weidman was 12-0 before USADA but 1-3 since!" Okay but he used to be fighting fools like Tom Lawlor and now he's fighting Yoel Romero lol.

Obviously that's facetious but Rockhold/Romero/Mousasi/Gastelum is pretty close to as hard as a run gets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#14 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:Look I'm actually not a Weidman fan and I have no idea if he's on PEDs or used to be or not. I'm just saying there are lots of guys who get accused of that for losing a few fights after USADA was implemented, but when we dive into the context a little more it doesn't always hold up.

He was neck and neck with Rockhold until he started throwing spinning sh*t and got blasted off his back and never recovered. I'm not making excuses for the loss but he was not performing subpar in that fight, he made a tactical error. He was having a competitive fight with Romero and got caught with a big knee that would have KOed anyone, again its not like he didn't look like himself out there, wrestling with Romero. He had the controversial stoppage vs Mousasi. We argued this at the time and I thought he was on the way to losing that fight regardless, but it was controversial enough to appeal.

He just hasn't had huge performance drop-offs a la Vitor and Hendricks (at least to my eyes), despite his record.

I dunno, I'm a pretty big Weidman fan, but in those last 3 fights, he looks completely and utterly gassed by the second round. He was so tired against Mousasi that he already looked rocked.

Lucky for him, Rockhold looked extra tired in their fight as well, but he certainly looked tired before he threw the spinning ****.

He's never been a Diaz in terms of cardio, but he looks done after the first round now, and just hangs in until he gets finished.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm really torn on this fight, because I'm afraid of what another loss might do to a guy as talented as Weidman, but I'd really like to see Gastelum continue his streak of busting up the big guys.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#16 » by GetBuLLish » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:27 am

That was absolutely amazing!!!!

Overall one of my favorite cards of all time.

Gastellum is young. He'll be back.
Susan
RealGM

Post#17 » by Susan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 am

Good for Chris!

But Jesus is Gastelum tiny for 185. Weidman really rag dolled him a few times.
Susan
RealGM

Post#18 » by Susan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 am

Weidman trying to go full Conor. Dude, you're the most naturally likeable guy around.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#19 » by BorkLazer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 am

Extremely impressive performance by Weidman. Very glad he got the win, it just keeps the MW division full of sharks at the 1 through 8 spots.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#20 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 am

Really high-level fighting in the fights I've seen so far. Almeida-Rivera was nuts. Non-stop, technical, talent, fiiiiirepower. Those left hooks from Rivera are nuts.
The main too.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts