ImageImageImageImageImage

Barclays Center/Fear Prokhorov Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Re: Ratner May Sell Nets (All Brooklyn Talk Here) 

Post#261 » by Birth of the Cool » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:58 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I didn't read the article, but Jay Z was a 10% owner, I wonder if he still is or if he sold his stake?

No way Jay-Z was 10% owner of the NJ Nets. Maybe 1 or 2 % stake in Ownership.
I don't see why he would sell his stake since there is some Cache for being a NBA Franchise 'Owner' and the possibility of the team moving to Brooklyn.

The Russia Ownership news if indeed finalized is really good news for pro-Brooklyn fans if true. If the Russian is putting up stake into the Brooklyn Project and not just the NBA Franchise then it is all but assured that there is now a owner with deep pockets that will guarantee this Brooklyn thing will happen.

Nets future seems quite bright from both financial & team views...2010 getting more interesting...
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#262 » by NetsForce » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jay Z's stake in the team was no more than 3% (based on what I have read in the past).
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,993

Post#263 » by Rich Rane » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 pm

My thoughts on this are plain an simple...as long as the guy's money and how he earns it is clean, it does not hurt to have an owner, whether foreign or not, who is a basketball fan and with deep pockets. Does this mean we're definitely going to get the guys we want? Absolutely not, but it does clear some doubts on Ratner not having the money to entice free agents, even with the cap space. Thorn and Kiki can get him more acquainted with the NBA's role players and which of the NBA's most popular stars are worth going after.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#264 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Congrats to Nets fans. Looks like this guy has the money to get this arena built and the Nets in Brooklyn. Can't wait to see this place built.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#265 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Congrats to Nets fans. Looks like this guy has the money to get this arena built and the Nets in Brooklyn. Can't wait to see this place built.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,483

Post#266 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Jay Z was/is a 10% owner of the Nets, he dropped 30 mill on them out of the 300 million dollar price they cost at last sale.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#267 » by Preludepunk27 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Brooklyn also has a large russian population. Within the asian/russian/quasi-latin (brook) flavor in this organization now, this makes Brooklyn such a solid location for the make up of this team. From everything I read this Russian dude is like Mark Cuban, just less outspoken...exactly what I want out of every pro-team owner lol.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#268 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Preludepunk27 wrote:Brooklyn also has a large russian population. Within the asian/russian/quasi-latin (brook) flavor in this organization now, this makes Brooklyn such a solid location for the make up of this team. From everything I read this Russian dude is like Mark Cuban, just less outspoken...exactly what I want out of every pro-team owner lol.

As someone who was never a huge fan of the Brooklyn move, this is really starting to look better and better everyday.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#269 » by @ndrew » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Rich Rane wrote:...as long as the guy's money and how he earns it is clean...

:D
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#270 » by Birth of the Cool » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Jay Z was/is a 10% owner of the Nets, he dropped 30 mill on them out of the 300 million dollar price they cost at last sale.

I just can't believe this.

Jay-Z has no real say/influence on decisions with the Nets organization. If he had 10% of Nets ownership I think his voice would be louder. Not that this source is reliable but his Wiki page states he REPORTEDLY paid $ 4.5 million for his share in Nets Ownership. Other articles I've read said 1.47% ownership. I swear I've also heard on TV his ownership % was around 2%.

I'd bet $$ that Jay-Z doesn't have 10% ownership...way too high.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,500

Post#271 » by Stone » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 pm

This could be the most important day in franchise history. This long nightmare roller coster ride looks like it coming to a stop. Can't put into words how happy I am were staying local. Lets get this done ASAP!
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#272 » by jerseyjac » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Rich Rane wrote:My thoughts on this are plain an simple...as long as the guy's money and how he earns it is clean, it does not hurt to have an owner, whether foreign or not, who is a basketball fan and with deep pockets. Does this mean we're definitely going to get the guys we want? Absolutely not, but it does clear some doubts on Ratner not having the money to entice free agents, even with the cap space. Thorn and Kiki can get him more acquainted with the NBA's role players and which of the NBA's most popular stars are worth going after.
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#273 » by theagent » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 pm

I wonder how JayZ feels about this???
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#274 » by Adam1221 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Umm I joined the army and I came home and I just found out about this.
Ladies and gentleman this team's best days are coming Prokorov knows and loves Basketball and has the money to back it up he turned Cska into a Euroipean powerhouse and I have no doubt he'll do the same for us.
Finally Thorn will have an owner that will back everything he does!
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#275 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Good luck with the Army dude.
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#276 » by Adam1221 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Good luck with the Army dude.

Thanks man.
Nets fan's rejoice!
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by jerseyjac » Thu Oct 1, 2009 11:18 am

SOUP
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: Nets playoffs next year, championship within 5 years? Lets do it Prokhy.

Re: Mikhail Prokhorov = $$$ = Brooklyn = Nets Future 

Post#278 » by SOUP » Fri Oct 2, 2009 7:11 pm

jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by jerseyjac » Sat Oct 3, 2009 2:11 pm

SOUP wrote:

Huh?

I was thinking the other day how many times the Nets have taken on a so-called rebuilding, from the Secaucus 7, to even before that...then I read an article a couple weeks back by Fred Kerber stating technically this is Thorn's 3rd rebuilding attempt (Kidd, Carter and the present)...If you've been a Nets fan for as long as I have...you go back to the 80s an Drazen/Coleman/Anderson...then some dreadful years of who cares...then came the mid 90s...Everyone wanted a Center and we got Sean Bradley (you know that story)...

Then the Nets buckle down and put a decent team together during three year stretch...but the fact is we all knew even back then, the Nets had no chance of winning a championship with that team...
June 24: Vancouver selects Benoit Benjamin in the expansion draft.
November 30: Nets trade Derrick Coleman, Sean Higgins and Rex Walters to Philadelphia for Shawn Bradley, Greg Graham and Tim Perry.

January 19: Nets trade Kenny Anderson and Gerald Glass to Charlotte for Kendall Gill and Khalid Reeves.
July 16: Nets trade Greg Graham to Seattle for Vincent Askew.
November 4: Nets trade Vincent Askew to Indiana for Reggie Williams.

February 17: Nets trade Shawn Bradley, Robert Pack, Ed O’Bannon and Khalid Reeves to Dallas for Jim Jackson, Chris Gatling, Sam Cassell, Eric Montross and George McCloud.
February 20: Nets trade George McCloud to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Joe Kleine and the Lakers 1997 1st round draft choice (Anthony Parker) and a conditional 2nd round pick.
June 27: Nets trade Eric Montross, Jim Jackson and the rights to 1997 draft picks Tim Thomas and Anthony Parker to Philadelphia for the rights to 1997 draft pick Keith Van Horn, Michael Cage, Lucious Harris and Don MacLean.

97-98 was good year for the Nets...

So fast forward to the Thorn years and you find yourself in a familiar position, but completely different scenario...the Nets have a potential owner who would be willing to spend beyond the luxury tax, Ratner is basically out of the picture beyond the pure real estate Brooklyn Arena details...other than given Ratner credit for the Brooklyn concept iteslf, flying to Moscow to sit down with Mikhail Prokhorov who would become the ultimtate majority owner ...we are now waiting on the below three key obstacles to go the Nets way:

• A hearing at the New York State Court of Appeals is scheduled for October 14 to review a challenge to a previous ruling that the state could use eminent domain in this case to seize land for use by a private developer for commercial purposes. This is a very contentious issue, and one that foes of the project have long pinned their hopes on.
• Prokhorov still needs to get approval from 75 percent of the NBA's owners. This is probably not a very big hurdle: Owners will want to expand brand appeal to the Russian market, which he hopes to do, and plus, foreign owners of teams are becoming increasingly common in other sports.
• Ratner is facing a December deadline to break ground. If he doesn't, he will lose access to financing from tax-free bonds. Because of this, the deal is conditional upon Ratner having financing for the arena project and control of all the land by the end of the year. If he doesn't swing these parts, the whole thing seems likely to fall through.

Remember, if everything goes as planned, we would have the financial power and the draw to put together a true championship team...probably better than the best Kidd year...
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#280 » by halfHAVOC » Wed Oct 7, 2009 11:46 pm

Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY

Return to Brooklyn Nets