Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant

Moderators: tsherkin, nate33, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, rrravenred

Who you think is currently the better player?

Derrick Rose
14
36%
Kevin Durant
25
64%
 
Total votes: 39

Flash Reloaded
Banned User
Posts: 118
And1: 0
Joined: Aug 09, 2011

Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by Flash Reloaded » Sat Oct 8, 2011 7:32 pm

Who you got? Who do you think is currently the better player?

in b4 a bunch of useless advanced metrics.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 32,031
And1: 1,477
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 8, 2011 8:02 pm

I think Rose is the better player but Durant is more dependable in the playoffs at this point, just from experience alone most likely
asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com

Last article: The Terrence Ross extension decision, the Jae Crowder deal and the new upside signing in the NBA
kasino
Banned User
Posts: 7,259
And1: 20
Joined: Jan 30, 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#3 » by kasino » Sun Oct 9, 2011 2:50 am

i'll take Durant
User avatar
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 49,096
And1: 1,395
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#4 » by JordansBulls » Sun Oct 9, 2011 2:52 am

Rose no doubt. Led team to best record in the league without another allstar while Durant has only led a team to a 4th seed with another allstar on the team. Not to mention Rose made the playoffs each year in the league while with Durant the Sonics/Thunder were worse his rookie and sophomore years compared to the season before he came.
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
kasino
Banned User
Posts: 7,259
And1: 20
Joined: Jan 30, 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#5 » by kasino » Sun Oct 9, 2011 4:03 am

alot is based on conference
Flash Reloaded
Banned User
Posts: 118
And1: 0
Joined: Aug 09, 2011

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#6 » by Flash Reloaded » Sun Oct 9, 2011 4:59 am

kasino wrote:alot is based on conference

What? Bulls were 23-7 against the West.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
Posts: 17,236
And1: 371
Joined: Aug 25, 2002
Contact:

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#7 » by RoyceDa59 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:02 am

I would rather have Kevin Durant.
Don't you forget to be awesome
User avatar
Rapcity_11
RealGM
Posts: 10,346
And1: 2,187
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#8 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:09 am

Flash Reloaded wrote:

in b4 a bunch of useless advanced metrics.


Just because you don't understand them, doesn't mean you need to dismiss them...
fromthetop321
Rookie
Posts: 1,125
And1: 139
Joined: Sep 05, 2011
 

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#9 » by fromthetop321 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:11 am

Durant
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
Flash Reloaded
Banned User
Posts: 118
And1: 0
Joined: Aug 09, 2011

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#10 » by Flash Reloaded » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:12 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Flash Reloaded wrote:

in b4 a bunch of useless advanced metrics.


Just because you don't understand them, doesn't mean you need to dismiss them...

I'd rather not think Reggie Miller > Allen Iverson or Kevin Garnett being a top 10-12 player of all-time, thanks.
User avatar
Rapcity_11
RealGM
Posts: 10,346
And1: 2,187
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#11 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:17 am

Flash Reloaded wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Flash Reloaded wrote:

in b4 a bunch of useless advanced metrics.


Just because you don't understand them, doesn't mean you need to dismiss them...

I'd rather not think Reggie Miller > Allen Iverson or Kevin Garnett being a top 10-12 player of all-time, thanks.


That's not necessarily what advanced say. Just a certain way of interpreting them. A whole bunch of advanced stat user don't have Miller above AI or KG top 10.
AggO
Banned User
Posts: 8,600
And1: 479
Joined: Mar 14, 2006

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#12 » by AggO » Sun Oct 9, 2011 6:05 am

Rose fairly easily.


I think Durant has to be one the number 1 overrated player here on realgm. Guys keep spewing all about his efficiency, ability to work without the ball, being "superior" to other scoring SFs like Melo, but honestly what exactly has this guy accomplished so far? He has no post game. Like Melo, he doesnt really make this teammates much better. He's an elite scorer like Melo and thats all about what both those guys can do.
User avatar
Rapcity_11
RealGM
Posts: 10,346
And1: 2,187
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#13 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 6:21 am

Leading the league in scoring on very high efficiency is awesome?
AggO
Banned User
Posts: 8,600
And1: 479
Joined: Mar 14, 2006

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#14 » by AggO » Sun Oct 9, 2011 6:34 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:Leading the league in scoring on very high efficiency is awesome?

Melo did more in his first 4 years than Durant has.
User avatar
Rapcity_11
RealGM
Posts: 10,346
And1: 2,187
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#15 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Oct 9, 2011 6:50 am

AggO wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:Leading the league in scoring on very high efficiency is awesome?

Melo did more in his first 4 years than Durant has.


Scoring less, less efficiently while playing worse defense? Is that what mean by more?

Or is it his playoff runs of 4, 5, 5 and 5 games?
User avatar
Sinant
Head Coach
Posts: 7,135
And1: 129
Joined: Aug 24, 2010

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#16 » by Sinant » Sun Oct 9, 2011 7:44 am

Flash Reloaded wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Flash Reloaded wrote:

in b4 a bunch of useless advanced metrics.


Just because you don't understand them, doesn't mean you need to dismiss them...

I'd rather not think Reggie Miller > Allen Iverson or Kevin Garnett being a top 10-12 player of all-time, thanks.


Oh hey DaPerception.
User avatar
Ryoga Hibiki
Analyst
Posts: 3,007
And1: 196
Joined: Nov 14, 2001
Location: Northern Italy

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#17 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun Oct 9, 2011 12:40 pm

We can argue about who's better, but who would really pick Rose today for his team if given the choice?
User avatar
wiff
Head Coach
Posts: 6,905
And1: 5
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Gettin da boot!

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#18 » by wiff » Sun Oct 9, 2011 5:49 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Rose no doubt. Led team to best record in the league without another allstar while Durant has only led a team to a 4th seed with another allstar on the team. Not to mention Rose made the playoffs each year in the league while with Durant the Sonics/Thunder were worse his rookie and sophomore years compared to the season before he came.


Rose being on a team that made the playoffs every year has absolutely nothing to do with Rose being a better player. All it means is that Rose was on a better "TEAM"

And if I'm not mistaken the 3 teams in front of the Thunder are responsible for winning 10 of the last 13 championships and were in the finals 13 out of the last 13 years. That's kind of a tough code to crack.

Still though team success doesn't define individual talent. And this is still Durant and it's not really that close.
User avatar
Mobby
Veteran
Posts: 2,683
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
Location: on the Flip Side
   

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#19 » by Mobby » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:20 am

Eh, Durant theoretically has the higher ceiling as a scorer with his height, but I think Rose affects the game more, and if I was beginning a franchise, I'd rather have a DRose playing the point, leading the team than a Durant needing someone to facilitate looks for him anyway.
Image
User avatar
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 49,096
And1: 1,395
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant 

Post#20 » by JordansBulls » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 pm

wiff wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Rose no doubt. Led team to best record in the league without another allstar while Durant has only led a team to a 4th seed with another allstar on the team. Not to mention Rose made the playoffs each year in the league while with Durant the Sonics/Thunder were worse his rookie and sophomore years compared to the season before he came.


Rose being on a team that made the playoffs every year has absolutely nothing to do with Rose being a better player. All it means is that Rose was on a better "TEAM"

And if I'm not mistaken the 3 teams in front of the Thunder are responsible for winning 10 of the last 13 championships and were in the finals 13 out of the last 13 years. That's kind of a tough code to crack.

Still though team success doesn't define individual talent. And this is still Durant and it's not really that close.


How does that apply here?

Rose was not on a better team. Sonics won more games the year before Durant came than the first two years he was there. Bulls missed the playoffs the year before Rose came and then made it each year he was there.
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons