Image ImageImage Image

Bears 6.0 - Nevermind, Bear witness to another elite defense

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , Michael Jackson, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, fleet

biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 2,070

Re: Bears 6.0 - Bear Witness to their 1st elite offense 

Post#281 » by biggestbullsfan » Thu May 23, 2024 4:16 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

What if Justin plays in preseason like Mitch did his first year in Buffalo against us. That would be interesting lol

I'm pretty sure JF will never fumble again because he ran around some cones and someone poked a stick at him.

Also, what's the point of sharing JF training videos anymore? We got plenty of those in the last few years. It didn't translate to much.

1. Justin playing better and winning the starting job in Pitt has implications on our Draft next year. So yes it matters.

2. If you don’t care for the content, ignore the post. Simple.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,691
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#282 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Thu May 23, 2024 1:29 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

What if Justin plays in preseason like Mitch did his first year in Buffalo against us. That would be interesting lol

I'm pretty sure JF will never fumble again because he ran around some cones and someone poked a stick at him.

Also, what's the point of sharing JF training videos anymore? We got plenty of those in the last few years. It didn't translate to much.

1. Justin playing better and winning the starting job in Pitt has implications on our Draft next year. So yes it matters.

1. Oh okay, you posted that video due to the 2025 draft implications. :roll:

2. Or you could refrain from posting non-Bears related videos in a Bears thread. I'm sure the Steelers have their own message board and possibly some Steelers fans that post there that may subsequently appreciate Steelers content.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,689

Post#283 » by dice » Thu May 23, 2024 4:30 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:I’d say given the info we have, we definitely had at least a 5th on the table. Since Poles acknowledged we had better offers. So taking a 6th to build up good karma among the team and future players is worth the trade down imo. If it’s a 4th then that’s more of a stretch. But i think you can still justify it. But a 3rd would be a bad move. But a team trading that much wouldn’t to play him i assume as well.

I think that's a pretty reasonable take.

Given he's a 4th if he wins the starting job for half the year, I think for the compensation to be absolutely better it would need to be a 5th that can turn into a 4th (or better). Maybe that was also out there. My guess is maybe we didn't absolutely maximize the value, but the gap was very minimal, and maybe the gap was minimal and also just conditional on him not meeting the minutes.

The other question is in what year was the "better" pick offer made? Let's say someone offered the Bears a 2024 4th. Perhaps the Bears were ok doing the conditional 6th that could become a 4th in 2025, which is perceived to be a much deeper draft, and the Bears figured they'd take a shot that Justin would supplant Russ sometime this year.

It's honestly just impossible to get too worked up about this "doing right by Justin" concept unless you know exactly what else was on the table. I'm sure they wanted to do right by Justin if possible, but obviously if someone had called and offered a 3rd or a 2nd for Justin, it's pretty likely Poles would have just accepted. It's easier to do a favor when all you're doing is juggling various late-round pick offers.

pundits were saying a 2nd was a sure thing and maybe a 1st. but if he had a 3rd or 4th on the table and sat around that's a significant mistake (talent level in those rounds is comparable to a 2nd). and that clearly happened

here were the approximate composite value returns for traded QBs:

5th fields/pickett
6th jones/howell
<7th wilson

it does seem that the thought that fields was significantly more valuable than those other guys who have performed similarly was off the mark
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,178

Post#284 » by molepharmer » Thu May 23, 2024 4:46 pm

I imagine this is about the draft process. Should be good but probably shorter than I'd like.
Read on Twitter
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,468

Post#285 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Thu May 23, 2024 5:28 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

2. Or you could refrain from posting non-Bears related videos in a Bears thread. I'm sure the Steelers have their own message board and possibly some Steelers fans that post there that may subsequently appreciate Steelers content.

Or even a separate Fields thread. Quarantine all that nonsense.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
dice
RealGM

Post#286 » by dice » Thu May 23, 2024 5:52 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
DropStep wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

To the people who were upset about only getting a potential 6th for Fields

Yeah, that's a tough calculus - those picks we missed out on are important. As we have asked regarding the Bulls - do the favors that the team does for players/agents ever come back around? I'd like to think they do, but I'm not sure.

The galling thing is to go so far above and beyond for Justin on the way out the door, and then see in the comments of every tweet and article - "Sorry the Bears screwed you, Justin" and "the Bears will pay for the way they treated Justin Fields." There's a lot of anger out there. I think they treated him more than fine, and so does Fields, apparently.

I thought the best thing would have been to start him next year, have Caleb hold a clipboard, and trade Fields halfway through the season when some contender finds themselves without a QB, but what do I know (nothing). There probably wouldn't have as much goodwill that way, but maybe Fields goes through the roof in those games, which would have been a great problem to have. The way the Bears did it is probably fine.

Having a front office can definitely play well into our favor for a few reasons. Jaylon Johnson signed to us on a team friendly contract where he probably could’ve gotten more elsewhere. TJ Edwards came to us extremely cheap and is probably our best free agent signing of this regime

can't imagine edwards took a discount to come to a rebuilding team

as for JJ, when you model the top dozen CB contracts vs. avg. PFF grade over prior 4 seasons, the expected contract for JJ would have been 7.48% of cap. he got 7.44. so on that basis it is a completely fair deal. but his situation is unique given his huge jump in performance last season:

54.9 rook
90.8 2023

68.2 avg.

the question is whether performance significantly above his average can be expected going forward. and i think the answer is an obvious yes, though he'll surely come back down to earth from last season. so in the end, yes, the bears got a pretty good deal. especially w/ only 3 years effectively guaranteed
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,630

Post#287 » by Jimako10 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Here we go.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,673

Post#288 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 pm

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

I will tell it to you the same way that it was told to me. It’s too soon to move on from the Justin Fields discussion…..
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#289 » by TheJordanRule » Thu May 23, 2024 6:53 pm

dice wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
DropStep wrote:
Yeah, that's a tough calculus - those picks we missed out on are important. As we have asked regarding the Bulls - do the favors that the team does for players/agents ever come back around? I'd like to think they do, but I'm not sure.

The galling thing is to go so far above and beyond for Justin on the way out the door, and then see in the comments of every tweet and article - "Sorry the Bears screwed you, Justin" and "the Bears will pay for the way they treated Justin Fields." There's a lot of anger out there. I think they treated him more than fine, and so does Fields, apparently.

I thought the best thing would have been to start him next year, have Caleb hold a clipboard, and trade Fields halfway through the season when some contender finds themselves without a QB, but what do I know (nothing). There probably wouldn't have as much goodwill that way, but maybe Fields goes through the roof in those games, which would have been a great problem to have. The way the Bears did it is probably fine.

Having a front office can definitely play well into our favor for a few reasons. Jaylon Johnson signed to us on a team friendly contract where he probably could’ve gotten more elsewhere. TJ Edwards came to us extremely cheap and is probably our best free agent signing of this regime

as for JJ, when you model the top dozen CB contracts vs. avg. PFF grade over prior 4 seasons, the expected contract for JJ would have been 7.48% of cap. he got 7.44. so on that basis it is a completely fair deal. but his situation is unique given his huge jump in performance last season:

54.9 rook
90.8 2023

68.2 avg.

the question is whether performance significantly above his average can be expected going forward. and i think the answer is an obvious yes, though he'll surely come back down to earth from last season. so in the end, yes, the bears got a pretty good deal. especially w/ only 3 years effectively guaranteed

How do you feel about the two guys who found answers in the 2nd half of last season, Dice-- Tremaine Edmunds and Tyrique Stevenson? Coming from having watched this defensive unit, and each of them, specifically, grow under this system last year, I'm expecting them at be the top of their games. Tyrique went from being picked on constantly in the first half, to experiencing so much success. I'd suggest that it's the type of growth that players typically sustain and build on going into Yr 2, Dice. Tremaine had a similar story, after he figured out how to utilize his skills within our scheme. We have 2 ass kicking LBs, and 3 ass kicking CBs if you include Kyler Gordon.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,103

Post#290 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu May 23, 2024 6:57 pm

Jimako10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Here we go.

Thats great news, our defense is sounding elite.
TheJordanRule
Veteran

Post#291 » by TheJordanRule » Thu May 23, 2024 7:12 pm

Fletcher Cox, anyone? I mean, there's plenty of juice in this guy's game left. We need a DL who can produce. He's still unsigned. Come to papa Fletcher!
NesimLE
Senior
And1: 232

Post#292 » by NesimLE » Thu May 23, 2024 7:45 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:Fletcher Cox, anyone? I mean, there's plenty of juice in this guy's game left. We need a DL who can produce. He's still unsigned. Come to papa Fletcher!

He's announced his retirement:

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-dt-fletcher-cox-announces-retirement-after-12-seasons
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,421

Post#293 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu May 23, 2024 7:53 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:

I will tell it to you the same way that it was told to me. It’s too soon to move on from the Justin Fields discussion…..

Agreed.

The Fields fanatics can post training camp videos of him dropping back against no one, or running through cone drills, things children are capable of doing.

And then we get to remind those fans how horrible he looked as a starting QB in the NFL, and how the entire league confirmed they don’t value him more than a conditional 6th rounder.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#294 » by patryk7754 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:56 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

Agreed.

The Fields fanatics can post training camp videos of him dropping back against no one, or running through cone drills, things children are capable of doing.

And then we get to remind those fans how horrible he looked as a starting QB in the NFL, and how the entire league confirmed they don’t value him more than a conditional 6th rounder.

The dude wanted to post a harmless video of a former bears player and someone he's a fan of and people want to start derailing the convo again. lmao.

but it'll be the Fields "fanatics" fault that the content on this board becomes unreadable again.
TheJordanRule
Veteran

Post#295 » by TheJordanRule » Thu May 23, 2024 8:02 pm

NesimLE wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Fletcher Cox, anyone? I mean, there's plenty of juice in this guy's game left. We need a DL who can produce. He's still unsigned. Come to papa Fletcher!

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-dt-fletcher-cox-announces-retirement-after-12-seasons

Damn. One of the few people in free agency who woulda made a difference on the DL. Who we gotta chase now? Calais Campbell? We desperately need a stopgap, productive vet.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#296 » by patryk7754 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:02 pm

NesimLE wrote:

Chris Wormley and Lawrence Guy would be my top choices if we added another DT

According to spotrac, we still have 22.8 in cap but idk if that accounts for all contracts. If the cap figure is accurate, I would like to add another DE and OL as well. Connor Williams would be great and I like Shaw Lawson for DE
dice
RealGM

Post#297 » by dice » Thu May 23, 2024 8:50 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
dice wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:

54.9 rook
90.8 2023

68.2 avg.

How do you feel about the two guys who found answers in the 2nd half of last season, Dice-- Tremaine Edmunds and Tyrique Stevenson? Coming from having watched this defensive unit, and each of them, specifically, grow under this system last year, I'm expecting them at be the top of their games. Tyrique went from being picked on constantly in the first half, to experiencing so much success. I'd suggest that it's the type of growth that players typically sustain and build on going into Yr 2, Dice. Tremaine had a similar story, after he figured out how to utilize his skills within our scheme. We have 2 ass kicking LBs, and 3 ass kicking CBs if you include Kyler Gordon.

i expect the D to be good, but there are a lot of up and down players and the line is dubious beyond sweat. so who knows
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 34,503

Post#298 » by fleet » Thu May 23, 2024 9:07 pm

CHGO reports that the Bears defense dominated today. Offense was offensive. Caleb held the ball. We’re done.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 34,503

Post#299 » by fleet » Thu May 23, 2024 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#300 » by patryk7754 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:42 pm

fleet wrote:CHGO reports that the Bears defense dominated today. Offense was offensive. Caleb held the ball. We’re done.

Not really surprising. Holding on to the ball for too long was one of his issues in college, so no biggie (yet). And it sounds like half of his offense wasn’t out there. It’ll take some time to coach that out of him

Return to Chicago Bulls