Image ImageImage Image

Get Fernandez

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#21 » by TheSchmaranz » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:32 am

Well certainly he can't be better then Dragan Tarlac?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,915

Post#22 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:35 am

Well I think they all said pretty much the same thing. Rudy wont' be traded because Portland management is that high on him. Personally, I don't now if I'm so high on Rudy that I consider him a 'core' building block before seeing him play, but given the way Portland management is treating him their stance that he won't be traded is reasonable.

I would question how well he'll fit with Roy in the backcourt, but they could probably run as 2 combo guards without a pure point pretty easily and do well with their great size. It really just depends how well Rudy translates. You'd have to love having him for the next few years given the minimal financial commitment, of course if you don't play him a ton, he could bail on you back to Europe for 2-3x the money.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,086
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#23 » by Clint Eastwood » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:55 am

rBob Z28 wrote:I went to over to Portland's board to gauge their interest in this guy. They talk about Rudy as if he is a core building block. I even gave them a generous trade proposal but it was shot down and the thread was locked. There's some sensitive fans in Portland I'll tell ya. :crazy:

yes there are. i was run out for suggesting that lamarcus aldridge is not acceptable return for the number one pick this year. they are crazy over there.
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#24 » by AZ BLAZER » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:54 am

dougthonus wrote:Well I think they all said pretty much the same thing. Rudy wont' be traded because Portland management is that high on him. Personally, I don't now if I'm so high on Rudy that I consider him a 'core' building block before seeing him play, but given the way Portland management is treating him their stance that he won't be traded is reasonable.

I would question how well he'll fit with Roy in the backcourt, but they could probably run as 2 combo guards without a pure point pretty easily and do well with their great size. It really just depends how well Rudy translates. You'd have to love having him for the next few years given the minimal financial commitment, of course if you don't play him a ton, he could bail on you back to Europe for 2-3x the money.

Portland fans have seen plenty of Rudy. We have watched many of his ACB and ULEB Cup games on the net. We are pretty certain he is worth the wait. I guess if you had never seen an NCAA game you would not be sure about Rose or Beasley as well. Any college player actually.

Portland GM KP said that the only thing that would be better than Brandon Roy would be having two Brandon Roy's. That would be Rudy.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,086
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#25 » by Clint Eastwood » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:59 am

AZ BLAZER wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Portland fans have seen plenty of Rudy. We have watched many of his ACB and ULEB Cup games on the net. We are pretty certain he is worth the wait. I guess if you had never seen an NCAA game you would not be sure about Rose or Beasley as well. Any college player actually.

Portland GM KP said that the only thing that would be better than Brandon Roy would be having two Brandon Roy's. That would be Rudy.

with the best player ever from europe and greg oden and developing aldridge who is light years better than TT and brandon roy, this team likely will challenge or 72-10 record this year!

here is a quote from a moderator on that crazy blazers board.
"I'm gonna close this thread down as I really don't see where else it can go. The Blazers won't offer Rudy for anything less than Deng or Rose. And I seriously doubt the Bulls would be willing to S&T Deng to Portland along with Hinrich just to get their hands on Rudy"

:wavefinger:
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Walton'sBeard! » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:45 am

Granville Colter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

with the best player ever from europe and greg oden and developing aldridge who is light years better than TT and brandon roy, this team likely will challenge or 72-10 record this year!

Finally, someone who understands. But lets not be ridiculous, 61 wins is more realistic.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#27 » by DanTown8587 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:49 am

Walton'sBeard! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Finally, someone who understands. But lets not be ridiculous, 61 wins is more realistic.

No chance any team out West wins 60 games. The only team I could see doing that is LA and I really doubt they stay that healthy to do so. I mean, there are 10 teams that could win 50 games
LA Lakers, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, Denver, Golden State, Portland, Utah, Houston, New Orleans

then another 2 capable of 40
LA Clippers, Sacramento
Walton'sBeard!
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Walton'sBeard! » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:53 am

humor\
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,915

Post#29 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 10:45 am

It's a very different game. Regardless of what you've seen there doesn't necessarily mean he's going to come here and be great. Obviously, some of the great players have come over and then become outstanding NBA players as well though. Of course the same risks are evident in the NCAA as many great college players flop as well.

Good luck with that. I mean it's great if it turns out that way (for you), and I certainly can accept your stance that you want to wait and find out if that's the case. I personally think Rudy will be a good player in the NBA. Brandon Roy good? I'm not so sure about that, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Portland's management has certainly done a tremendous job recently. The team was on the rise so much already without even adding Rudy/Oden. If Oden/Aldridge don't become career injury risks it's easy to imagine Portland winning multiple titles down the road.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#30 » by jax98 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:09 pm

I've also seen Rudy play.

I have strong doubts that his game will translate into the NBA. Whenever he attacks the basket, it's not against 7-footers but players who top out at 6'9, and that's being generous.

I'm not saying it's written in stone, but there's a big risk that his slashing game will be limited in the NBA.

What will translate, is his shooting. He's got a quick jumper and nice release. So I expect him to become a spot-up shooter for most part in his first couple of seasons. But slashing and his ability to create off the drive might not translate as well as Blazers fan believe.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#31 » by AZ BLAZER » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:14 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:I've also seen Rudy play.

I have strong doubts that his game will translate into the NBA. Whenever he attacks the basket, it's not against 7-footers but players who top out at 6'9, and that's being generous.

I'm not saying it's written in stone, but there's a big risk that his slashing game will be limited in the NBA.

What will translate, is his shooting. He's got a quick jumper and nice release. So I expect him to become a spot-up shooter for most part in his first couple of seasons. But slashing and his ability to create off the drive might not translate as well as Blazers fan believe.

It has worked for Manu. People forget that Rudy has been a pro for seven years now. He is certainly ahead of college players in his development and ability to change his game to fit his teams needs. I think his biggest barrier to success early will be how well he speaks and understands English. The basketball stuff will be just another day at the job for Rudy.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#32 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:55 pm

Ha ha ha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....Portland is NOT THAT STUPID! :noway:

Why the hell would they do that!? :confused:

Rudy Fernandez might end up being their best player and I love Brandon Roy much less Aldridge (who the Bulls should have kept) and Greg Oden!

They are not that dumb. :noway:

A 6'6 point guard out West next to Roy with Oden/Pryzbilla/Aldridge behind them doing the heavy lifting, :lift: blocking shots, and hitting the offensive and defensive glass with putbacks!?

Please...

To hell with the Lakers...this team is gonna be awesome. If I am a vet SF I would die to go there next year and play with that group!

If they bring in the right veterans to mold that group, LOOK OUT!

RIP CITY WILL BE BACK! :clap:
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#33 » by suckfish » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:11 pm

The basketball stuff will be just another day at the job for Rudy.

Prepared to be shocked then. I'm not going to say he won't translate well, because I think he will. But it's not going to be as simple and straight forward as you think, although basketball is basketball, the games are different. It takes some getting used too.

He has some size issues, he is pretty skinny and needs to bulk up if he wants to be able to finish his drives to the bucket. Then there's his defense, he reads the lanes well and I think he will pick up some steals here and there, but he will probably get out muscled if he isn't get any stronger.

However he is a very good shooter, and he can break down defenses even if finishing may be questionable at the NBA level. He's quite 'herky jerky' like a lot of European guys, he's crafty and unpredictable.

I really hope he turns out nicely.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#34 » by jax98 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:12 pm

AZ BLAZER wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It has worked for Manu. People forget that Rudy has been a pro for seven years now. He is certainly ahead of college players in his development and ability to change his game to fit his teams needs. I think his biggest barrier to success early will be how well he speaks and understands English. The basketball stuff will be just another day at the job for Rudy.

'It worked for Manu'?

Do you even remember how he played his first two seasons? He had tremendous problems attacking the rim, and started to settle for jumpshots. He obviously improved this quite heavily, but that's no guarentee Fernandez will.

He may have been a pro for seven seasons already. Nocioni had been a pro for much longer, and he still can't grasp the simply idea of not doubling down on average penetrators.

I'm not saying Rudy will fail. I hope he won't, as I like him. But it's by no means a sure thing. Portland fans will be very disappointed if they believe he'll come in a be great right off the bat.
Manigault
Rookie

Post#35 » by Manigault » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:13 pm

A few points:

-Rudy Fernandez has the athletics Ginobili has, no doubt about it.
-Rudy Fernandez is a MUCH faster and better shooter, WAY better from the long range. I've always compared his game to Jeff Hornaceck with Ginobili athletics.
-He will be as good as Ginobili if, and only if, he has the same decision.
-Marc Gasol has been a brutal player this year. He won't be an all star, but hey he has beet a superb player this year, and no doubt about it, Marc and Rudy have been the best players in ACB by far, and both are legit NBA player.
-Marc Gasol is not an athletic freak, but he's bigger, stronger, smarter and with more skills back to the basket than many of the league starting centers. He won't have problems playing... center.
-In terms of speed, he's not the fluid runner Pau is, but he's faster than many centers in the league runing the court.
-Mostly Marc Gasol is basically a GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYER, and with a broken arm, and tied feet, better than any Memphis frontcourt player.

-Be aware, there are Marc Gasol haters in Spain, as there are some Rudy haters. But both have the chances to become good NBA players. MVP of ACB league... Luis Scola, Andr
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#36 » by suckfish » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:17 pm

But both have the chances to become good NBA players.

I don't think anybody is questioning that, but there's also a great chance that these guys don't pan out as well as some expect. I could go either way, I expect Rudy to be the better NBA player, and I expect Gasol to struggle (if he even comes over). Gasol isn't starter quality and never will IMO, then again I could be wrong.

Whatever happens, allow some time for the transitions to take place.
Manigault
Rookie

Post#37 » by Manigault » Sun Jun 8, 2008 7:35 pm

suckfish wrote:
But both have the chances to become good NBA players.

I don't think anybody is questioning that, but there's also a great chance that these guys don't pan out as well as some expect. I could go either way, I expect Rudy to be the better NBA player, and I expect Gasol to struggle (if he even comes over). Gasol isn't starter quality and never will IMO, then again I could be wrong.

Whatever happens, allow some time for the transitions to take place.

I think Rudy will be the best NBA player, BUT, you couldn't be surprised if Marc could become some kind of Krstic. And of course way better than some players like McCullogh, Pachulia, Brezec, etc.

We might just have diferents prespective or opinions.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#38 » by JeffJordan » Sun Jun 8, 2008 8:18 pm

I have heard that the Blazers plan on playing Roy at the PG position.

Roy, Fernandez, Webster/Outlaw, Aldridge and Oden

that is a scary lineup.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 130

Post#39 » by Butter » Sun Jun 8, 2008 9:02 pm

The Blazers are in a pretty tough spot right now regarding trading any players. There are several unusual factors that make any deal with the Blazers a little more difficult to be honest.

1) The Jermaine Oneal Factor: After trading Jermaine Oneal for Dale Davis the Blazers are gun shy about moving potential talent. IMO, from Paul Allen down to the average fan, we're scared to "give away" potential All-Stars. That might not be realistic, but that's probably why some Blazers fans overvalue their young talent.

2) Kevin Pritchard, the Blazers GM has used the analogy of baking a cake when refering to this young team. This is related to point number 1. I think they need a little more time before trading off the young players.

3) Rudy is someone that the entire organization is excited about. Moving him for Heinrich is just not going to happen. I like Kirk, and think he'd be a nice fit, but Rudy's not a player that the Blazers would offer for Heinrich.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#40 » by TyrusRose2425 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:35 pm

Just imagine if we had Rudy Fernandez and Portland would be this high on him. They probably would offer Aldridge or Roy for him.

Return to Chicago Bulls