Image ImageImage Image

KC Johnson: Bulls Coaching Decision Imminent

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,662
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#81 » by waffle » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:25 pm

Doofer wrote:
I would rather take a flyer on someone, give them a series of one year contracts and see what they can do.

I'd take a one year contract.......

But I can't think of a reason that a real prospective coach would...

How about you?

Cuz that is the only way they are going to sniff an NBA head coaching job?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,493

Post#82 » by coldfish » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:28 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Excellent post, it's true. All that matters is what you just wrote.

Ralph (I believe it was you), about a month ago I was arguing with you about Thibo and you were 180 degrees off from that position. You were pointing out how much a person has to learn about handling players in order to be a coach.
Christ almighty.

As if one year of sitting on the bench and tracking fouls would have given him some greater insight and given Pax more to evaluate.

I don't like Del Negro - but thats because of what I thought of him as a player.

But if he came into the interview, with a knowledge of our roster, a way to play, and a "philosophy" of coaching that was better than all of the other candidates - then I don't care if he was sweeping the floors last month. Hire him.

That's just spin. By your criteria, half the people on this board would be qualified to be head coach of the Bulls. A philosophy means nothing if you have no ability to implement it. If you ever worked with people, its a hard thing to do. I can't fathom how hard it is to get 20 year old multi millionaires on guaranteed deals to listen to you.

Beyond that, coaching an individual game is tough. Its easy to criticize in hindsight, but while the game is going on you have a million things being thrown at you. Fouls, match ups, time out situations, player time and energy level, game trends, etc. Managing those issues is a learned skill.
Bulls1983
Rookie
And1: 75

Post#83 » by Bulls1983 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:32 pm

IF only theory walked hand to hand with practice...
Jay Mariotti
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#84 » by Jay Mariotti » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:32 pm

The Chicago Bulls rehire Tim Floyd.

:lol:
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#85 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:40 pm

coldfish wrote:That's just spin. By your criteria, half the people on this board would be qualified to be head coach of the Bulls.

If the people on this board had 20+ years of Division I and NBA experience - I'd interview them.

And as for the spin comment - you can call it whatever the hell you like - whatever makes you feel good.

A philosophy means nothing if you have no ability to implement it. If you ever worked with people, its a hard thing to do. I can't fathom how hard it is to get 20 year old multi millionaires on guaranteed deals to listen to you.

Thankfully I'm an independently wealthy hermit whose only real interaction with people is through the interweb.

Beyond that, coaching an individual game is tough. Its easy to criticize in hindsight, but while the game is going on you have a million things being thrown at you. Fouls, match ups, time out situations, player time and energy level, game trends, etc. Managing those issues is a learned skill.

It sure is. And of the mentioned candidates only Casey has experience with it. So unless we hire him, we're dealing with an unknown.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#86 » by coldfish » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:43 pm

Magilla Gorilla wrote:
And as for the spin comment - you can call it whatever the hell you like - whatever makes you feel good.

Thankfully I'm an independently wealthy hermit whose only real interaction with people is through the interweb.

Great post.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#87 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:52 pm

Ralph (I believe it was you), about a month ago I was arguing with you about Thibo and you were 180 degrees off from that position. You were pointing out how much a person has to learn about handling players in order to be a coach

Yes which is why I wanted Collins, Avery and JVG, but are any of those guys being looked at or being hired?

Casey has Asst coaching experience, but I'd still consider him a inexperience HC. None of the guys that are left make it that we can't take a chance now.

You gotta look at what's available at the time and base your opinions on that.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#88 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:55 pm

i still want a former player, these seem to be the guys players respond best to.

but i am becoming more impressed with Thibedeau as Boston continues to roll. he'll be the biggest 'name' if they win the title so maybe, hopefully Paxson has been waiting on him this whole time.

the problem is if it goes 7 games that'll be 6/19 and that gives TT 7 days to decide if he wants the job and decide on the #1 draft pick.

if Boston does win TT has a lot of leverage if he wants to pit the Bulls vs Pistons in a bidding war. This guy is in the catbird seat right now.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#89 » by coldfish » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:13 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
the problem is if it goes 7 games that'll be 6/19 and that gives TT 7 days to decide if he wants the job and decide on the #1 draft pick.

Based on everything I am reading, the pick is Rose. I don't think that the coach will change that.
Bull Shak
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#90 » by Bull Shak » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:18 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:i still want a former player, these seem to be the guys players respond best to.

but i am becoming more impressed with Thibedeau as Boston continues to roll. he'll be the biggest 'name' if they win the title so maybe, hopefully Paxson has been waiting on him this whole time.

if Boston does win TT has a lot of leverage if he wants to pit the Bulls vs Pistons in a bidding war. This guy is in the catbird seat right now.

Paxson better not need a coach to make this choice, otherwise he probably shouldn't be the GM.
http://www.dabullz.com home to the Bulls' encyclopedia.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,093
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#91 » by Clint Eastwood » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:38 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:
Ralph (I believe it was you), about a month ago I was arguing with you about Thibo and you were 180 degrees off from that position. You were pointing out how much a person has to learn about handling players in order to be a coach

Yes which is why I wanted Collins, Avery and JVG, but are any of those guys being looked at or being hired?

Casey has Asst coaching experience, but I'd still consider him a inexperience HC. None of the guys that are left make it that we can't take a chance now.

You gotta look at what's available at the time and base your opinions on that.

ralph, i dont know why you and i had recent difficulties, your last 3 posts in this thread are spot on.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#92 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:43 pm

coldfish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Based on everything I am reading, the pick is Rose. I don't think that the coach will change that.

With Vinny's hiring, Paxson is now announcing it to the world.....
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb

Return to Chicago Bulls