Image ImageImage Image

The coaching search and our image

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

The coaching search and our image 

Post#1 » by AAU Teammate » Mon Jun 9, 2008 6:48 pm

Commentators have been saying that the D'Antoni/Collins thing was embarassing for the Bulls org. I believe there's a David Schuster blog saying that we're a league laughingstock.

Why? I don't get it.

It's not like we announced a coach who turned us down (as was the case before the Dick Jauron hire). We never concluded our coaching search either time. There was just all kinds of reporting indicating that we had.

Basically, D'Antoni wanted to coach for the Knicks so badly that we werent really an option. That is entirely his right. He didnt want an owner to press him on certain things, and that mattered so much to him that he went to the worst shape franchise around.

Collins said no, then yes, then no. If anything that reflects poorly on him. It's our job to think hard about who we want to coach. It's not a true candidate's job to take weeks wondering if he really wants to do it!
bullguy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#2 » by bullguy » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:53 pm

Maybe because Chicago is a huge market, but every offseason the bulls seem to be in some sort of debacle, that goes to the national media.

I think reinsdorf runs this team like it is in Kansas City and he has a hard time making payroll, when the fact is he has made an absolute fortune for himself and the other shareholders off of this team.

The bulls handle contract talks worse than any other team in professional sports In my opinion. Even Skiles extension was a fiasco. Just wait for Gordon and Deng this summer it will be gut wrenching reading Paxsons comments on those negotiations.

It will be a repeat of Curry and Chandler from a couple of years ago.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#3 » by Dieselbound&Down » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:55 pm

agree with the OP. The team image is of no concern and makes no difference to what the team will do with the rest of the summer.
cark
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#4 » by cark » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:17 pm

The search process is only a temporary PR embarrassment that will be forgotten soon enough. Ultimately, what matters are results. But because we won't have those for quite a while, this is what gets discussed, for the time being.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#5 » by RyGuy24 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:21 pm

I can give a rats ass about our "public image".
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
derf
Starter

Post#6 » by derf » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:23 pm

cark wrote:The search process is only a temporary PR embarrassment that will be forgotten soon enough. Ultimately, what matters are results. But because we won't have those for quite a while, this is what gets discussed, for the time being.

It is all part of a pattern and if you can't see it by now there is little chance anyone can explain it to you.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Grand Champ » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:11 pm

derf wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is all part of a pattern and if you can't see it by now there is little chance anyone can explain it to you.

Since that "pattern" has yielded my two favorite teams 7 championships in my lifetime, I'll take it. The Bulls are nowhere near the laughingstock the Bears or Blackhawks are.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#8 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:12 pm

derf wrote:It is all part of a pattern and if you can't see it by now there is little chance anyone can explain it to you.

Ooooooohhhh...
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
ericwill
Junior

Post#9 » by ericwill » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:14 pm

I wrote a long blog about how terrible it was to hire Collins, but now I wish that we would have hired Collins. I don't even remember Del Negro being a coach on the floor. He just waited for the open shot in the corner all the time.

I wish they would have waited until the end of the finals and taken a closer look at one of the assistants from the Celtics or Lakers
I am the Don of NBA Knowledge!
derf
Starter

Post#10 » by derf » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:30 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ooooooohhhh...

Agree or disagree? Do you think the Bulls front office has performed well during our 6mo search for a permanant head coach.

The Skiles firing? the Boylan fiasco? the D'antoni negotiatians, The Collins Chronicles all culminating in the hiring of a guy with zero head coaching experience, and really almost zero coaching experience overall.

I look for, it to be a 3 year 5 mil deal. Whaddy think Magilla? A B C D or F on the way this was handled?

Me? I'd give 'em a D. I don't care so much what the league thinks but I have concern for the direction of this teams fortunes.
Jay Mariotti
Banned User

Post#11 » by Jay Mariotti » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:39 pm

We are a joke in the face of the national media!
AAU Teammate
RealGM

Post#12 » by AAU Teammate » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:40 pm

RyGuy24 wrote:I can give a rats ass about our "public image".

while i dont think this should be considered a PR blunder, i'd caution you to always have that take

for instance, the Bears thing w/ "hiring" McGinnis before Jauron..... i mean that does hurt you

do FAs want to play for an org like that? Garnett made comments at the end of the dynasty that he would never sign with Chicago under Jerry Krause.

Those things can get bad. This can be a place they start.... it's just my opinion that this particular situation isnt a case of that.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Grand Champ » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:41 pm

Jay Mariotti wrote:We are a joke in the face of the national media!

No, just you and Woody Paige...
lou4gehrig
Banned User

Post#14 » by lou4gehrig » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes, our image has been greatly ruined by this coaching search. That's important when hiring a new leader for your young players. How your image is maintained. Who gives a rats ass about image. If it takes 15 weeks and 20 candidates to hire the right fit for the players, then so be it. Why rush? To make pointless basketball beat writers happy?
AAU Teammate
RealGM

Post#15 » by AAU Teammate » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:43 pm

ericwill wrote: I don't even remember Del Negro being a coach on the floor. He just waited for the open shot in the corner all the time.

Sometimes the on-floor coaches make terrible coaches from the bench. There are a lot of components that go into it.
AAU Teammate
RealGM

Post#16 » by AAU Teammate » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:46 pm

lou4gehrig wrote:Yes, our image has been greatly ruined by this coaching search. That's important when hiring a new leader for your young players. How your image is maintained. Who gives a rats ass about image. If it takes 15 weeks and 20 candidates to hire the right fit for the players, then so be it. Why rush? To make pointless basketball beat writers happy?

We now have two posters who are opting not to give over a "rat's ass" over this. Zero rat ass giving.

Ah well. The team's image does matter. FAs tend to want to play certain places, and not in others. What management does builds that rep.

Again, KG refused to play for Krause. Once he says that, others will follow that mentality. These things build up. I know no one here wants a FA season like the one where everyone from Tim Duncan to Tim Thomas turned us down.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#17 » by Profound23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:47 pm

A few years ago, the Bucks hired Terry Porter over Terry Stotts. Porter took the team to the playoffs one year, then the next year the Bucks were plagued with injuries the team tanked and got the #1 pick (Andrew Bogut). The Bucks fired Porter (wrongfully IMO) and offered Flip Saunders and Doug Collins the job, both refused

Return to Chicago Bulls