Image ImageImage Image

PG: that’s gonna leave a Markkanen

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Re: PG: a win is a win and maybe a loss 

Post#61 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:29 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Shill wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:Markkanen playing well is literally the only win out of this one. Everything else, just closer to NBA Hell.

We were in NBA Hell the last two years.

This year we have young assets and avenues to get better.

Are they assets if no one will trade much of anything for them?

If they are helping you to win 2/3's of your games, they're assets to the Bulls!
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,520

Re: PG: that’s gonna leave a Markkanen 

Post#62 » by Ice Man » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 am

31 assists on 40 baskets. When Dunn is out, Fred runs team basketball. Full credit to Fred, a blowout win on the road with no Dunn, Miro just OK, LaVine nothing special. This team is bad for the tank but looks well coached.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#63 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 am

Ben wrote:
RememberLu wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:
Could be worse, we could be one Lebron James leaving Cleveland away from being irrelevant again. (How long do you think IT and Love will want to stay in Cleveland, if/when Lebron leaves town?)

Don't like RoLo/Holliday leading the charge, but I cannot hate a win.

Some days we look like we're one all-star level player away from contending

Absolutely not. Some days we look like we're one all-star level player away from being a regular playoff team that loses to the top tier teams year after year. Either we need to strike gold in the draft-- probably more than once-- or sign a superstar-level player, or maybe both. It's too hard to contend without that level of talent. I'm just re-stating what almost everyone here realizes, but after your post I felt it needed to be restated.

We are much better than I thought we would be at this point, which unfortunately is a very bad thing. The good things are that Dunn and Lauri have looked so much better than I thought they would be, that Lavine is back in action, and maybe-- MAYBE-- Niko's great play will bring a nice trade return. Everything else is unfortunate if you want to build a contender rather than return to NBA hell. I really do credit those who foresaw value in the Butler trade pieces, but that value isn't putting us in better position to contend unless we sign or draft a superstar or high-level all-star. The goal is not to become the Wizards.

It's not to be the Orlando Magic or Sacramento Kings either. Everyone thinks having high draft picks is an automatic ticket to the NBA finals in a few years time. Look at history- it just doesn't work out that way, except on rare occasions.

All we need is one free agent signing to put us right up there with the best teams in the east. And it's hard to imagine a star player on a lousy team not being excited at joining what we have building here in Chicago.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#64 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 am

Dresden wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Shill wrote:

We were in NBA Hell the last two years.

This year we have young assets and avenues to get better.

Are they assets if no one will trade much of anything for them?

If they are helping you to win 2/3's of your games, they're assets to the Bulls!

2/3's of our games? We're the 3rd best team in the East?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#65 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:34 am

Rerisen wrote:
kyrv wrote:The list of teams that bottom out and draft a top 3 pick superstar and win a title with that player continously on the team is really really short in recent decades. The amount of outrage (not from you, to be clear), does not seem to be warranted, given the stacked odds against sucking teams winning titles.

Every method is a really short list of title winners. But the one thing 85% or more of them all share is elite superstar talent. The frustration is really with that the Bulls aren't looking to get 1 single shot to pick where these players vast majority come from. And a lot of it is self-inflicted due to how they didn't totally dismantle superfluous pieces in the offseason.

After this year the Bulls will almost certainly get some degree better yet, and then it may be another 5-10 years before the next rebuild is executed before they'll get another similar chance. That would have been fine if they thought Dunn, Lavine, Lauri had that kind of talent so that it wasn't needed via the draft, but realistically do they?

Those "superfluous pieces" have us on a pace to win 50+ games.
tiffac
Starter
And1: 699

Post#66 » by tiffac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:41 am

AKfanatic wrote:
tiffac wrote:The Hawks is a tank done right. lol

And they’ll be lucky to get a young guy that shows as much promise as the Finnish Fundamental

If they can’t land a talent in this draft then they should disband lol
Manners Maketh Man
Dresden
RealGM

Post#67 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 am

Rerisen wrote:
kyrv wrote:The list of teams that bottom out and draft a top 3 pick superstar and win a title with that player continously on the team is really really short in recent decades. The amount of outrage (not from you, to be clear), does not seem to be warranted, given the stacked odds against sucking teams winning titles.

Every method is a really short list of title winners. But the one thing 85% or more of them all share is elite superstar talent. The frustration is really with that the Bulls aren't looking to get 1 single shot to pick where these players vast majority come from. And a lot of it is self-inflicted due to how they didn't totally dismantle superfluous pieces in the offseason.

After this year the Bulls will almost certainly get some degree better yet, and then it may be another 5-10 years before the next rebuild is executed before they'll get another similar chance. That would have been fine if they thought Dunn, Lavine, Lauri had that kind of talent so that it wasn't needed via the draft, but realistically do they?

Golden State's best player: 7th pick in the draft.
Cleveland's best player- acquired as free agent.
Boston's best player- (KG), acquired in trade.
San Antonio's best player- drafted #1 overall.
Miami's best player- acquired as FA.
Lakers best player(s)- acquired with 13th pick in the draft (Kobe), and as free agent (Shaq).
Dallas' best player- acquired with 9th pick in the draft.
Detroit's best player- hard to say, no real superstar on this team

So only San Antonio actually acquired it's superstar talent via being in the top spot in the draft. No other team has had a top pick in the draft, and had that player lead them to a title (Lebron with CLE, but he actually left town, before coming back).
3noD
Sixth Man
And1: 562

Post#68 » by 3noD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:44 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Dresden wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Are they assets if no one will trade much of anything for them?

Good question. Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Wiz better than us. Not sure about Miami, Milwaukee, Indiana...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
tiffac
Starter

Post#69 » by tiffac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 am

Dresden wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

Lakers best player(s)- acquired with 13th pick in the draft (Kobe), and as free agent (Shaq).

So only San Antonio actually acquired it's superstar talent via being in the top spot in the draft. No other team has had a top pick in the draft, and had that player lead them to a title (Lebron with CLE, but he actually left town, before coming back).

Wasn’t Kyrie number 1 draft pick? You gotta at least count him, he made the winning play.

I think all of the Pistons players were FA except for Prince (I could be wrong can’t remember)
Manners Maketh Man
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,844

Post#70 » by Ben » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 am

Dresden wrote:
Ben wrote:
RememberLu wrote:
Some days we look like we're one all-star level player away from contending

Absolutely not. Some days we look like we're one all-star level player away from being a regular playoff team that loses to the top tier teams year after year. Either we need to strike gold in the draft-- probably more than once-- or sign a superstar-level player, or maybe both. It's too hard to contend without that level of talent. I'm just re-stating what almost everyone here realizes, but after your post I felt it needed to be restated.

We are much better than I thought we would be at this point, which unfortunately is a very bad thing. The good things are that Dunn and Lauri have looked so much better than I thought they would be, that Lavine is back in action, and maybe-- MAYBE-- Niko's great play will bring a nice trade return. Everything else is unfortunate if you want to build a contender rather than return to NBA hell. I really do credit those who foresaw value in the Butler trade pieces, but that value isn't putting us in better position to contend unless we sign or draft a superstar or high-level all-star. The goal is not to become the Wizards.

It's not to be the Orlando Magic or Sacramento Kings either. Everyone thinks having high draft picks is an automatic ticket to the NBA finals in a few years time. Look at history- it just doesn't work out that way, except on rare occasions.

All we need is one free agent signing to put us right up there with the best teams in the east. And it's hard to imagine a star player on a lousy team not being excited at joining what we have building here in Chicago.

Look, friend, what you're saying is essentially the same argument that many people made against tanking. Contra those who seemed to think that a high draft pick or two (or three) guaranteed a full rebuild, many people pointed out that a bird in the hand might be better. I don't care to rehash that argument any more. And if it turns out that we sign a high-level all-star, I will be really happy along with everyone else. I just don't especially expect it. We're not getting LeBron or Durant. Don't see why Chris Paul would come here over his other options, and he's much older than our core anyway. DeMarcus Cousins? Unlikely, and unlikely to make us true contenders. Same for Paul George. When you talk about star players on lousy teams who might be excited to join the Bulls, you have to name names or it's just meaningless hype. A very good but not tremendous player is not going to have us competing with the Warriors and Rockets. Just won't happen.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios. It is what it is. We want the talent that we have now-- but we should want it in addition to top draft picks, not instead of that latter. Depending on free agency is a fool's errand and many of us on this board have been through it many times. ;-)
Dresden
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 am

IcemanGervin wrote:Bulls are going to demolish the low tier teams. I could see a legit run at the 8 seed. They are only going to lose to the elite of the elite and even then they hang in those games. Hoping for a tank at this point is futile.

That's how it's looking- we should win at least 3/4 of our games against teams in the east other than WAS, MIA, TOR, CLE and BOS. And among those, I think we'll win 50% against WAS, MIA, and possibly CLE. I see only TOR and BOS as teams we'd have real problems with in a playoff series. Provided we keep this up.

So if go into next year with the solid possibility of being a 3 or 4 seed in the East, it's really a waste to blow that up. Especially since we'll be better next year, as Lauri and Zach and Dunn and others improve, and we add a good player in the draft, and have Zach at full strength. People are really underestimating how good this team is. How many GM's would think about blowing up a 50-55 win team in order to turn it into a 25 win team so they could get a better draft pick?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#72 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Dresden wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Are they assets if no one will trade much of anything for them?

We are 15-8 since Niko returned.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#73 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 am

tiffac wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

Wasn’t Kyrie number 1 draft pick? You gotta at least count him, he made the winning play.

I think all of the Pistons players were FA except for Prince (I could be wrong can’t remember)

But Kyrie wasn't their best player- it was Lebron.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#74 » by Lexluthor » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 am

You could say the Bulls were in NBA Hell when they had Derrick Rose in his Early years. The 2011 Bulls got smoked by the Heat in the playoffs
tiffac
Starter

Post#75 » by tiffac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 am

Disregard, internet choking post :banghead:
Manners Maketh Man
Dresden
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 am

Ben wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Ben wrote:

Look, friend, what you're saying is essentially the same argument that many people made against tanking. Contra those who seemed to think that a high draft pick or two (or three) guaranteed a full rebuild, many people pointed out that a bird in the hand might be better. I don't care to rehash that argument any more. And if it turns out that we sign a high-level all-star, I will be really happy along with everyone else. I just don't especially expect it. We're not getting LeBron or Durant. Don't see why Chris Paul would come here over his other options, and he's much older than our core anyway. DeMarcus Cousins? Unlikely, and unlikely to make us true contenders. Same for Paul George. When you talk about star players on lousy teams who might be excited to join the Bulls, you have to name names or it's just meaningless hype. A very good but not tremendous player is not going to have us competing with the Warriors and Rockets. Just won't happen.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios. It is what it is. We want the talent that we have now-- but we should want it in addition to top draft picks, not instead of that latter. Depending on free agency is a fool's errand and many of us on this board have been through it many times. ;-)

Many of us have also been through having a high lottery pick many times before, too, and we see how seldom that worked out.
tiffac
Starter

Post#77 » by tiffac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 am

Dresden wrote:
tiffac wrote:
Dresden wrote:

But Kyrie wasn't their best player- it was Lebron.

Lebron wouldn’t have won without Kyrie and just look at the Cavs now. You gotta count him man, give credit where credit is due he is one of the best players on that team with Lebron. Like Shaq and Kobe in LA.
Manners Maketh Man
tiffac
Starter

Post#78 » by tiffac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 am

My stupid internet started choking on me while I was posting. Now my posts are all over the place.

3rd world problems :banghead:
Manners Maketh Man
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,901

Post#79 » by RSP83 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 am

I only watched the 4th quarter of tonight's game and partially the GSW game, so from the boxscore zach seems like he's struggling with his shot the last 2 games. Is it just rust?
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,844

Post#80 » by Ben » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 am

Dresden wrote:
Ben wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Many of us have also been through having a high lottery pick many times before, too, and we see how seldom that worked out.

So tell me what you're saying, OK? You're saying that critique has no place and all is for the best in this best of all possible worlds? Feels like I read that once, but it was in French and it was satire.

Return to Chicago Bulls