Image ImageImage Image

Chicago Bulls 18-19 Season Goal: Tank Again or Push for the Playoffs?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

What should the Bulls do next season?

Tank Again
50%
Push for the Playoffs
50%

Total votes: 135

ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Chicago Bulls 18-19 Season Goal: Tank Again or Push for the Playoffs? 

Post#1 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 pm

As the title suggests, should the Bulls tank once again or try to make a push for the playoffs next season? With no major free agency splashes likely happening and majority of the players returning as well as #6/#22 pick in their pocket, what would you like the Bulls to do?
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Re: Chicago Bulls 18-19 Season Goal: Tank Again or Push for the Playoffs? 

Post#2 » by RememberLu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 pm

We should make a push for the playoffs. Tanking is too hard with too many bad teams trying to do the same. The tanking thing is going to be addressed by the league as Silver seems to really want to curtail the practice. And the Bulls have too many decent players on the roster to tank properly. The trajectory of this team points up. You got another season of growth for Lauri, Dunn and LaVine coming back healthy. All will have the benefit of an offseason training regimen and going through pre-season in Fred's system. I just don't see how the Bulls have a hope of being as bad or worse next season than they were this year.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:07 pm

You don't make any FA additions and try to win with whom you have. Halfway through the season, you can evaluate whether you want to switch to tanking and limiting good player minutes based on the results.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#4 » by gardenofsound » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 pm

I think it really depends on who the Bulls draft and how the team plays to start the year. If the Bulls look like they have a real shot at the playoffs, then let them play it out. If you get into Feb/March and things are looking bleak, then throw in the towel and see what kind of pick you can get. It's worthwhile to remember that the changed lotto odds make even the 9th lotto slot have a 20% chance at a top 4 pick, while the 5th lotto slot has a 55.6% chance of moving down.

In short, tanking is no longer going to be a sure thing. Hell, the #1 lotto slot will have a 56% chance of landing the 4th pick or worse.

I regret that the Bulls didn't tank harder this past season when it would have really counted (and I'm not talking about March/April, I'm talking about December and January), but from here on out, I think the Bulls should play up to their potential, whatever that is until it becomes clear that they will not make the playoffs, at which point they can try to tank for a top 10 (as opposed to top 3) lottery spot.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#5 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Tank again. This team has nothing yet to suggest they can compete for a title.

If you're worried about the fact there is too much talent, don't. There isn't. This team was awful without Mirotic on the roster. Sit some guys. Draft 2 projects this year. If you draft MPJ, tell everyone that his back scares you and sit him for 6 months. The 76ers route.

I don't think think the Bulls have a top ten player on this roster. Keep doing this until you get one.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
TimHonks
Senior
And1: 293

Post#6 » by TimHonks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Try to be good with no major signings outside of Lavine (hopefully a good but not crazy contract) and see where you are at. Go for sneaking into playoffs if playing well, tank second half if not.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#7 » by AKfanatic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Neither....somewhere in the middle.

The goal should be to develop the youth they draft and the youth currently on the team. Don’t bring in more vets to help win, just play the young core and let them win and lose based on their own growth.

Try to shed guys that aren’t here long term and see where you land.

The odds are the Bull pick 8-14 next year, an injury here and there may increase lotto balls, an unexpected leap in play by a young guy could take away lotto balls but raise the team’s outlook overall.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#8 » by SfBull » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:You don't make any FA additions and try to win with whom you have. Halfway through the season, you can evaluate whether you want to switch to tanking and limiting good player minutes based on the results.

Yes, and it´s unlikely that playing with the complete roster the Bulls will be with 3-20 again so barring injuries or trades this group improved with the picks have all chances for a push for the playoffs.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#9 » by Tetlak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Guys, we're going to be bad for a long time. If we push for the playoffs, we are destined to be a .500 team for the forseeable future.

Rebuilds take many years. Look around the league.

However, I believe its almost guaranteed that the FO will push for the playoffs next season. They don't have what it takes to properly rebuild.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#10 » by RememberLu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm

We might be bad for a long time but I don't see us being bad enough to be in the tank sweepstakes. With another year of improvement and cohesion from our young players and the solid play of veterans like Lopez and Kilpatrick, I don't see how we don't challenge for the 8th seed in a weak east. Even if we are bad, we'd be in the 8th-12th range. Is that really worth suffering through another tank year?
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#11 » by PaKii94 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Lauri will lead us back to the promised land again
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#12 » by Nikola » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

After looking at the 2019 draft lottery odds I must say what are they thinking. I fail to see how this will prevent tanking at all. So instead of teams trying to be the worst they only will overly care to be in the bottom 4. It will not prevent much tanking at all.

I'm with the posters that say let the better of the young kids play and evaluate it at mid season. We won't be a bottom 4 team so tanking hard just doesn't make sense if it at all inhibits the growth of our longterm pieces.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Post#13 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 pm

As always, development of young players is more important than high-draft picks. The later means nothing without the former, therefore we should play and play to win while ensuring minutes for the young guys worth developing.

The biggest problem with our roster construction is too many guys who don't know how to play, I give young players i view as talented a pass (Markkanen, Dunn, LaVine [though less and less], Portis [see LaVine]). These players' development is hampered by playing alongside people who don't know how to play, we need more Holiday and Rolo's here, not less.

Play to win, no joke G-league lineups to close the year, whatever happens happens, #1 priority is playing the young guys in a properly run system.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#14 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm

dougthonus wrote:You don't make any FA additions and try to win with whom you have. Halfway through the season, you can evaluate whether you want to switch to tanking and limiting good player minutes based on the results.

This. You don't plan on tanking. If our young guys don't make a jump we don't make the playoffs and then you start selling vets to tank.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,068

Post#15 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Bulls need another top ten draft pick so, I'm against a playoff push.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#16 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:Bulls need another top ten draft pick so, I'm against a playoff push.

I think Bulls can do maybe 9th or 10th next year. That should be obtainable in some realistic scenario unless guy or two take huge step towards star player in development. Certainly out playoffs, I would say guaranteed. So I dont personally get playoff push. Even if we wanted that's simply not in realm of possibility unless we find next Simmons at #6.

So I think your wish will come true, 9th or 10th is still top ten pick. :wink: I personally dont wanna go through another year like last one. I am not interested in watching g-leaguers, unwatchable basketball at end of year and DNP's to get as high #6 again. So no tank again from me.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#17 » by khufure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 pm

push for the playoffs. if we suck then start tanking.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,620

Post#18 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 pm

This, plus maybe trade a veteran or two for peanuts if you can. Commit to the youth and whatever happens, happens.

You’ll either excel which will mean your youth exceeded expectations, or you will struggle and get another lottery pick.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#19 » by Dominator83 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:25 pm

We struggled to tank even with Dunn and Lavine missing a ton of games. This year we'll probably have a full squad plus the #6 incoming. Play the youth heavy minutes and let the cards fall where they may
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#20 » by Red8911 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Let the guys play and see where it goes. If they fail that means this team needs to rebuild from the rebuild lol but if let’s say they make the playoffs that means that guys like Dunn/Lavine/ Lauri and rest of team have gotten better and is worth going forward with. Again don’t tank let the players do what they can do and go from there.

Return to Chicago Bulls