Image ImageImage Image

Cousins Unfollows Pelicans on Instagram

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Re: Cousins Unfollows Pelicans on Instagram 

Post#21 » by kodo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 pm

There's a big opportunity cost with gambling on any recovering player, as we well know from both Rose & Lavine.

The opportunity cost is in games dedicated to being nothing more than rehab for your player.

You simply cannot really play games or even a season intending to truly play your best while a player is trying to come back from something this serious. The games & season end up as just rehabilitation games you write off. And you'll be writing off a year or two of games with something like an Achilles.

The real cost of Cousins isn't JR's money thrown at his contract (TBH, we have to spend that money on somebody, even if it's re-distributed to Felicio & Payne & the others). It's a year or two of using the regular season to get Cousins back in shape vs developing Lauri, pick #7, Dunn, Lavine, Nwaba, Bobby, etc..
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#22 » by Alcatraz17 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:personally, if the bulls drafted cousins , as far as reputation he would be.....jokim noah , not seen as a trouble maker, just someone who cares too much and who you hate to go against but would love to play with.

I have to strongly disagree with you. And you're selling Jo short. He was a leader here.

Cousins is a full sized child and an embarrassment to adults.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#23 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Nah Achilles and horrible attitude.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#24 » by GameBredAPBT » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 pm

His career is all but over. A big mobile dude like that won't ever look the same after something like a torn Achilles. He was overrated to begin with. Now, he shouldn't even be getting rated at all.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#25 » by LordBaldric » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Forgetting about Cousins for a moment, why are you already reserving a max salary spot for Lauri?
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#26 » by Mech Engineer » Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm

If Cousins can sign a 3 year deal or something like that, let him rehab his first year and help the Bulls tank again. If he plays well the year after that, the Bulls probably can get a 1st round pick and another young asset for Cousins from a contending team.

A star or even a so-called star will always have some value as in Melo. Melo for all his problems always has had decent trade value. The Bulls have to do a Niko contract repeat with Cousins. The only thing different with Cousins is that he will be rehabbing and thus will not get wins.

It will also let us evaluate Fred if he has learned anything from the Jimmy fiasco and if other young guys can play with a big name player.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#27 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Those who are eager to add Cousins should take the time to read up on the history of NBA players and Achilles injuries. It's one of the worst injuries you can have. Typically, players do not return to form following it.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/1/27/16940178/demarcus-cousins-achilles-tear-injury-kobe-bryant-wesley-matthews-rudy-gay-this-is-the-worst

Tack on a history of empty stats, character problems, an inconsistent motor, and a significant investment isn't wise especially for a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Especially for a 275 lb giant with a torn achilles.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#28 » by GrowingHorns » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Dominater wrote:
GrowingHorns wrote:NOLA is better without him, so are us. And I don't like the idea he'd hinder Lauri's and probably Zach's development. Next season is all in getting the most out of our young guys. Season two for Markksman, first full season of KD, Zach and Lauri. I donät want Boogie. Never been a fan at all.

That means we can finally tank properly with their -20 Plus/minus they shared when on the court together :D

You almost sold me. It's just that I dislike him. It'd be too hard to watch.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#29 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 pm

I just want to say I cannot stop laughing every time I see the thread title. It's just so funny to me that it's news that somebody unfollows/ or follows a team or somebody else on twitter or instagram.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,172

Post#30 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Interesting thought and a well constructed post. Nice job.

Like most things it would depend on the opportunity cost but I wouldn't dismiss it before knowing exactly what that cost is. If you tell me I can sign Cousins to a 3/45 deal I'd have to seriously consider it.
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#31 » by Darius Miles Davis » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 am

Hard pass.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#32 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 am

I am really interested how much Cousins gets paid this summer. In general. This is heavy injury. People dont return from it playing any high level basketball. Kobe didnt. Wesley Matthews didnt. I mean they played but nowhere near level they were previously.

This isnt ACL where maybe you see player return to some kind of previous level after year or two. I think Cousins career as All-Star ended. And even when he was healthy he wasnt definition of high impact player. Any kind of contract with some big money to Cousins is albatross deal in waiting.
IcemanGervin
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#33 » by IcemanGervin » Thu May 17, 2018 1:31 am

god bless any team that signs Cousins and his empty fantasy basketball stat lines.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#34 » by League Circles » Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:I just want to say I cannot stop laughing every time I see the thread title. It's just so funny to me that it's news that somebody unfollows/ or follows a team or somebody else on twitter or instagram.

Hahaa yep, and I love his response to being questioned about the "controversy" with his answer "cause I'm grown" hahahha.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#35 » by The Box Office » Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 am

Again. Stop it. Another guy with a torn ACL.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#36 » by Red8911 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am

Mark K wrote:I don’t understand how anyone could want Cousins after his injury. It’s truly illogical.

Yeah, before the injury I thought going for cousins wasn’t a bad idea but now with this injury there’s no point,he might not even be the same player anymore. A desperate team will most likely sign him. I doubt the bulls were ever interested before or after injury.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#37 » by Red8911 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:I just want to say I cannot stop laughing every time I see the thread title. It's just so funny to me that it's news that somebody unfollows/ or follows a team or somebody else on twitter or instagram.

It is news though,unfollowing them definitely means something. He wouldn’t do that if he was in good terms and re signing with them. Something is up there,maybe pelicans realized that his injury is too serious and are better off with Davis and Niko.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#38 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 am

Red8911 wrote:

It is news though,unfollowing them definitely means something. He wouldn’t do that if he was in good terms and re signing with them. Something is up there,maybe pelicans realized that his injury is too serious and are better off with Davis and Niko.

I know, but it's just funny to me that this is a headline of an article somewhere. It's funny that it's a thread on this board, too, I guess. IDK, I'm just an old guy who has turned his back on social media. This board and you guys is enough for me as far as online socializing goes.

Spoiler:
I don't even have a twitter account (or instagram). Hell, I had a Facebook account 10 years ago and deleted it just because of the problems it was causing with the woman I was with at the time. I had so many friends (mostly people I knew casually through the music scene in Colorado at the time) that took it so personally because they thought I had "unfriended" them. I couldn't figure out why I was getting the cold shoulder from so many people when I saw them... people I hadn't seen in weeks that would usually come in for the hug. I had to re-activate Facebook just to announce that I was no longer going to be on Facebook and that nobody should take it personally that I'm not in their friends group anymore-- just because of how personally people took it when they thought I just befriended them. Since then, I have seen so many marriages and relationships blow up just over activity on social media.

It's a different World. Life to me is just better without that stuff. But, I'm old and have enough clutter. I'm sure if I were in my 20's or 30's I couldn't live without it.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#39 » by keloms » Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am

If it was different management and ownership, I could see it as they'll likely have $25 million available this year and a 1 year $15-$20 million contract to A) fill space B) evaluate what he has left isn't the worst idea, but, culture is almost as important as skill to them and they almost certainly wouldn't want to risk losing control of the locker room mindset.

Plus there's no way you have him on a team led by Fred. Would get ugly fast.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#40 » by Jeffster81 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 am

Cousins has been a problem ever since HS. When Anthony Grant refuses to recruit him to Alabama (a program in desperate need of talent), that tells you are you need to know what kind of player/person he is. Note: I know Bama was never going to get him to stay in-state over choosing Kentucky but Bama never even gave him a token recruiting pitch.

So....HARD PASS on Cousins.

Return to Chicago Bulls