Image ImageImage Image

OT: World Cup 2018

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Re: OT: World Cup 2018 

Post#21 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Lauri_Bird wrote:Hey Grodo!

I really want to play germany!!

first because of the 7x1
second because my wife is german and she did give me a really hard time last year...

Our team is so good this year...

Off-topic, but I went to Nassau last month. Man, you live in a seriously beatifull country!!! And the people were so nice to me and my family. I’ll definitely come back some day.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#22 » by BahamaBull » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:

first because of the 7x1
second because my wife is german and she did give me a really hard time last year...

Off-topic, but I went to Nassau last month. Man, you live in a seriously beatifull country!!! And the people were so nice to me and my family. I’ll definitely come back some day.

Let me know if u comeback.

I live here since 2007 and I cant complain. But I do know a different island than you. Living here is not as great as spending some vocation time...But I pay zero taxes so its all good :lol:
stepic
Junior
And1: 380

Post#23 » by stepic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:41 pm

I’m watching, although I’ve been on holiday so won’t get fully into it until I’m home tomorrow.

England to make the quarters.... and then lose by penalty

I picked Germany to win because who can pick against them? But after that first game, who knows now. Brazil probably the next likely. From the semi realistic teams I’d like Argentina to win for Messi. Otherwise I’ll be supporting (pointlessly) England.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#24 » by Axolotl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Switzerland is not the team to test Brazil sternly, but 1st half Brazil has looked pretty good. After the 1st goal they turned down the throttle a bit.

Brazil has had a goalie problem, and now they have two good ones. Their defensive formation looks tight and controlled too.

Brazil's game is a joy to watch, their individual skill and creativity are at such a high level. And as a team they look better than Germany did today.

Coutinho's goal was a thing of beauty, his trade mark curved shot into the top corner. Goalie had no chance.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#25 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Axolotl wrote:Switzerland is not the team to test Brazil sternly, but 1st half Brazil has looked pretty good. After the 1st goal they turned down the throttle a bit.

Brazil has had a goalie problem, and now they have two good ones. Their defensive formation looks tight and controlled too.

Brazil's game is a joy to watch, their individual skill and creativity are at such a high level. And as a team they look better than Germany did today.

Coutinho's goal was a thing of beauty, his trade mark curved shot into the top corner. Goalie had no chance.

You jinxed it!

Lol
Axolotl
Starter

Post#26 » by Axolotl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Yeah, I guess I did :D

Switzerland changed to more active style of play at half time, and their goal seems to have stunned Brazil somewhat.

Brazil should use their right wing more. Willian is not getting touches, and he's an excellent player.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#27 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Axolotl wrote:Yeah, I guess I did :D

Switzerland changed to more active style of play at half time, and their goal seems to have stunned Brazil somewhat.

Brazil should use their right wing more. Willian is not getting touches, and he's an excellent player.

Willian is fine, but most of our midfielders are pretty lifeless today, we're missing their energy.
Also, that referee can **** right off. That was a penalty.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Re: RE: Re: OT: World Cup 2018 

Post#28 » by samwana » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:

first because of the 7x1

Yeah man, me too! But let’s be honest here: even if we beat them in a World Cup again (god bless Ronaldo and the rest of that awesome 2002 squad), 7-1 in a WC semi-final at home is something that will never be erased.
Hey guys, my husband is German, and I am Dutch. For the first time I'm not really interested at all in the games, but Germany losing is always a good thing imo. It may get interesting after all. I can't stand Thomas Müller so I loved him getting frustrated because he didn't get the superstar calls he normally gets in Germany.

Sent from my SM-G920F using RealGM mobile app
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#29 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Welp, that was underwhelming.
Ultimately, it might not change much for the next rounds, but Brazil definitely needs more urgency in its game.
Axolotl
Starter

Post#30 » by Axolotl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Brazil couldn't change their game after Swiss goal. They kept moving the ball around, but not with intent.

First half was better for Brazil, second for the Swiss.

This draw is like a loss to Brazil.
Grodoboldo
Analyst

Post#31 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Axolotl wrote:Yeah, I guess I did :D

Axolotl, this diagram showing every Brazil pass supports your observations. Their right wing was vastly outlooked during the game.

Read on Twitter
BahamaBull
General Manager

Post#32 » by BahamaBull » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 pm

we will bounce back. I have no doubt about it...Not even 1% concerned.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#33 » by the ultimates » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm

Although its one game none of the favorites Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany looked great. Could a breakthrough happen for Belgium or England?
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#34 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:30 am

As I'm Finn, we haven't ever been in the World Cup. The best part of that: I can watch the games without concentrating too much on the results.

Germany vs. Mexico was as exciting I expected it to be. For those that watched 2014 Fifa World Cup, may remember how Germany had some trouble with Ghana (Group stage, 1-1) and Algeria (knockout-stage 1st round, 2-1 for Germany, after the extra-time), but they didn't have just enough to pull it off. Mexico has same kind of intensity and flair that those above mentioned African nations, but Mexico has also made it through the group stage five times in a row (just to be knocked out in the 1st knock-out round), and they have decent defending inside the box, I might say better than Algeria or Ghana did have. Germany had troubles again with distances between players and there was just too much room. Mexico indeed could have make 2-3 goals at least, at the 1st half. At 2nd, they got somewhat tired and Germany looked like better there, but most of the scoring chances came from not the best spots. Definitely the best game of the tournament so far, just not for Germany. That's a team which has gone consecutively into top 8 since the 1954 (and 1950 they were banned due the WW II incidents).

So I believe they will have the needed to beat Sweden and South-Korea. I just never haven't been the greatest admirer of Joachim Löw. He's a good coach, but he hesitates to make substitutions even if it seems, there's need for them sooner than later. Even though he has won as a coach the World Cup once, been 3rd once and coached the team to play decent football in Euro cups, I'd be ready to say he has also been lucky there was Lahm (left wing-back) and Schweinsteiger (reliable and skilled midfielder for many purposes), now retired, that kept the team from having heads hang down. Or Miroslav Klose as striker to come in and make some goals, if needed. Those all were pure leader types too, that I see there is Lacking now. I have never got that same kind of intuitive feel and inner strength out of Kroos or Hummels, few veterans to mention at the current team. There is Manuel Neuer, the best goalkeeper of the world, but I'm just feeling it's not enough. I've been a strong sympathizer of Germany for twenty years now, and with all I've seen, I'd be ready to say even that Löw coached them to take the the World Cup 2014, he has been underperforming with his past decade. Sounds hard, but even if he might be a great micro managing coach with his team, and keep a close eye to details, he lacks some intuitive strength and quickness at decision making. It's not even said thing, have he moved Philippe Lahm at last WC 2014 from defensive midfield to the left wing-back role (changed the course of germany in a long run to make it more balanced), if there haven't been so many hard words from big names at German football. And if it didn't happen, Germany would never even play at the final.
This year, their defense at right side of field is not going to work. One if not the most important is to sit Mesut Özil down to bench, as he just seems to have no spark at all. If Germany wants to play on it's level, all the men on field must be 100% head on the game. And have to be willing to defend enough. it's not Özil's biggest strength as offensive force, but next game Marco Reus must start on his place. They can keep kimmich at right wing-back, but özil can't play at the same time, it's too hazardous.

That's enough aboaut that topic, lol.

At monday you should keep a close eye on Kevin De Bruyne from Belgium, and Harry Kane from England at their own matches, if you like to see offensive brilliance at it's best. Both are definite top 10 offensive players right now.

Have fun watching the games. i hope lot of surprises, and if it have to be a big nation to win it's always Germany for me. (Though I like England too. My German and English friends are always like "How can you out of ALL big football nations like those two?! They hate each other!")
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#35 » by realEAST » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:14 am

samwana wrote:
Grodoboldo wrote:

first because of the 7x1

Yeah man, me too! But let’s be honest here: even if we beat them in a World Cup again (god bless Ronaldo and the rest of that awesome 2002 squad), 7-1 in a WC semi-final at home is something that will never be erased.
Hey guys, my husband is German, and I am Dutch. For the first time I'm not really interested at all in the games, but Germany losing is always a good thing imo. It may get interesting after all. I can't stand Thomas Müller so I loved him getting frustrated because he didn't get the superstar calls he normally gets in Germany.

Sent from my SM-G920F using RealGM mobile app

I don't know how and why that guy plays. And I am Bayern fan who liked him coming through the youth ranks, showing passion and grit (and game IQ, it's all he has, no outstanding skills, no extra speed).
But now when hr became more permanent starting 11 member, he started to annoy me. Luckily, notva particular fannof German NT :)
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#36 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 am

realEAST wrote: I don't know how and why that guy plays. And I am Bayern fan who liked him coming through the youth ranks, showing passion and grit (and game IQ, it's all he has, no outstanding skills, no extra speed).
But now when hr became more permanent starting 11 member, he started to annoy me. Luckily, notva particular fannof German NT :)

Mûller is a strange case, indeed. He just knows all the time when and where to move. Not the best shot, not the best dribbles, speed, physics... Just ENOUGH to make it possible for him to use his superpower to make impact.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,395

Post#37 » by TheGOATRises007 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 am

Always watch.

Football/soccer is my favorite sport.
BahamaBull
General Manager

Post#38 » by BahamaBull » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:52 am

basketball is my favorte sport by far...But world cup is just on another level...better than any NBA Finals imo...
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#39 » by Red8911 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 am

the ultimates wrote:Although its one game none of the favorites Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany looked great. Could a breakthrough happen for Belgium or England?

I think England will be a surprise this time and go far. They don’t have a great roster but if they play as a team they definitely can, guys like Kane/Sterling on offense and team defense will make the difference. Belgium also has a ton of talent on offense but I’m worried about their defense.
Swuul
Junior
And1: 276

Post#40 » by Swuul » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:28 am

Germany looked really bad, like really bad. Unwilling, no passion, no effort. Sweden already dropped Netherlands and Italy on the way to the WC tournament, and now it looks like they will now drop Germany. Mexico, Germany and Sweden will all beat South Korea, and Sweden will draw vs Mexico and Germany (because I don't believe Sweden will lose matches at this stage; later, when their players start to get tired (Sweden doesn't really have any good players on the bench) they will lose, but not this early in the tournament), which means Germany will be out. Unless Joachim Löw gets his head out from the dark place it is in, and put the zombie-players like Müller and Khedira (who apparently were not even aware there is a match going on) on the bench, and tries to get the players some passion and effort.

Brazil was a disappointment :( Neymar did not step up like I thought he would, this was not the performance of the worlds best player. He was a ball-stopper, kind of a Zach LaVine in Bulls; brilliant player, but a black hole for the ball. Brazil passes the ball to Neymar, and then he just kept hanging on it until he got fouled, and Brazil got nothing for the effort. Neymar is surrounded by incredibly skilled players, just why does he not pass the ball on and get things moving? And if Neymar is such a black-hole for the ball, then why not attack on the right flank with Willian (who is also an exceptionaly good players), who kept the ball moving fast and much better plays were created?
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't.

Return to Chicago Bulls