Image ImageImage Image

Let’s trade for Ben Simmons

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Re: Let’s trade for Ben Simmons 

Post#141 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:12 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Are we sure that's what they'd want? That doesn't help them compete.

I think we'll end up seeing something like Westbrook for Simmons.

Yeah I think need immediate help to salvage whatever time Embiid has left as a top player. Which probably isn’t that much with his injury situation.

Embiid should have quite a few years left. He just had his best year by far and played at an all-time-great level this season.

He's missed two fulll seasons due to injuries, has never played more than 64 games in a season, and just had a partially torn meniscus. If I'm the Sixers, I'm not waiting around on a young players or Ben SImmons to figure it out. I'm getting Joel the right help while the window is still open.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#142 » by Am2626 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Grodoboldo wrote:I'd love to have him on the Bulls alongside Zach and Vuc, but let's be realistic, we just don't have the assets to pull it off. Philly is in win now mode, even if they were enamored with Coby and PWill (tough proposition, BTW), they wouldn't want them in their current stage.
Portland, on the other hand... McCollum for Simmons just makes too much sense for it not to happen. I think this is where it's headed.

Maybe if there is some sort of 3 team trade where a star can go to Philly and the team trading the star would see value in guys like Lauri, Coby White, and Patrick Williams. Thad would have value going to Philly.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,530

Post#143 » by DuckIII » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:31 pm

That Athletic article is a trip. The only reason to trade for Simmons - which I would totally do - is because by teaming him with guys like Lavine and Vuc (two iso scorers, one inside one on the perimeter) you have the fit that makes him worth his deal.

Trading Lavine to get Simmons? Barf. Defeats the whole point.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#144 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:35 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Yeah I think need immediate help to salvage whatever time Embiid has left as a top player. Which probably isn’t that much with his injury situation.

Embiid should have quite a few years left. He just had his best year by far and played at an all-time-great level this season.

He's missed two fulll seasons due to injuries, has never played more than 64 games in a season, and just had a partially torn meniscus. If I'm the Sixers, I'm not waiting around on a young players or Ben SImmons to figure it out. I'm getting Joel the right help while the window is still open.

Even after getting a genuinely great franchise player, and an excellent second banana, the great front offices NEVER rest. This was the problem with the good ole fool's gold GarPax regime. They figured that once they paired Rose and Carlos Boozer together, and sported a good batting average in the draft, hitting on guys like Jimmy Butler, Nikolas Mirotic, and Bobby Portis, they could sleep through the off seasons aside from adding the occasionally half decent player off the scrap heap-- a Ronnie Brewer or Marco Bellineli or Kyle Korver guy. We wasted Rose's best years because of the, "Well, this is good enough, and if it isn't, maybe we'll get around to it some day in the future." Utter stupidity considering how much the NBA was obviously changing right before our eyes.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,530

Post#145 » by DuckIII » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Also, we don’t have the assets anymore to get Simmons. Not without trading Zach, which obviously would be awful.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,704

Post#146 » by dougthonus » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:04 pm

DuckIII wrote:That Athletic article is a trip. The only reason to trade for Simmons - which I would totally do - is because by teaming him with guys like Lavine and Vuc (two iso scorers, one inside one on the perimeter) you have the fit that makes him worth his deal.

Yeah, while Simmons would fit in well here, it's hard to see what we'd offer that Philly would really want. I think that will be true of many teams. it will be interesting to see if Philly is ultimately very disappointed in what they get back or if they can find a good partner.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Let’s trade for Ben Simmons 

Post#147 » by StunnerKO » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#148 » by TheStig » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:If Simmons and Embiid isn’t a finals team in the East then Vuc and Simmons won’t be either even if it’s theoretically a better pairing. Unless we are secretly crazy high on Coby, we need him paired with Zach.

So a couple of things....

Finals? We can't even make the playoffs. If Simmons can do that, it's a big step forward.

Embid is much higher usage and an iso guy. Vuc is more versatile on offense. He'd be happy to be set up.

Now the deal to think about would be Simmons and Thybulle for Lavine. That lets you have a Simmons, Williams and Thybulle to lock down the perimeter. I think Coby would thrive playing a 3 rd option and getting some good looks. Simmons would thrive with the ball in his hands, a dynamic presence like Vuc and a spread floor.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#149 » by weneeda2guard » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Trading lavine for Ben Simmons makes no sense for us. Makes perfect sense for Philly.

If we can add Simmons to lavine and Vuc it's intriguing. But I don't think Philly would do it without lavine and we would be dumb to include lavine so all that spells is no deal.

Would honestly rather have lonzo. Although I still have some skepticism on paying that much for him one thing I can say is he is young and has shown he is willing to work on his game and improve. Ben Simmons has not shown he is willing to work on his game.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#150 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:44 pm

DuckIII wrote:Also, we don’t have the assets anymore to get Simmons. Not without trading Zach, which obviously would be awful.

I think this is right, but I am not 100% sure it's right. What the heck is Simmons's trade value right now? I'd imagine the majority of the league sees him as having a negative asset value given his contract. But I also think there are a handful of teams that would view him as the last piece they need and would be happy to trade a decent bit for him. But given Philly is in win-now mode, I'm not sure how much picks from other good teams move the needle. It's going to have to be another problematic star (e.g. Westbrook as others have posited) or a good player a team thinks it will not be able to retain.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#151 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm

TheStig wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:If Simmons and Embiid isn’t a finals team in the East then Vuc and Simmons won’t be either even if it’s theoretically a better pairing. Unless we are secretly crazy high on Coby, we need him paired with Zach.

Finals? We can't even make the playoffs. If Simmons can do that, it's a big step forward.

Embid is much higher usage and an iso guy. Vuc is more versatile on offense. He'd be happy to be set up.

Now the deal to think about would be Simmons and Thybulle for Lavine. That lets you have a Simmons, Williams and Thybulle to lock down the perimeter. I think Coby would thrive playing a 3 rd option and getting some good looks. Simmons would thrive with the ball in his hands, a dynamic presence like Vuc and a spread floor.

Sure, but even with the better fit, it's hard for me to see a higher ceiling for Vuc/Simmons than Embiid/Simmons. Is that something we should be concerned with given our lack of success? If it's costing us Zach LaVine, I'm going to say yes. Zach and Vuc + Simmons makes sense. Simmons - Lavine doesn't feel like we're building upwards. As of today, LaVine - a guy who keeps getting better, seems like he has the potential to become a 1B on a contender. That's not the case with Simmons.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#152 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:53 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DuckIII wrote:That Athletic article is a trip. The only reason to trade for Simmons - which I would totally do - is because by teaming him with guys like Lavine and Vuc (two iso scorers, one inside one on the perimeter) you have the fit that makes him worth his deal.

Yeah, while Simmons would fit in well here, it's hard to see what we'd offer that Philly would really want. I think that will be true of many teams. it will be interesting to see if Philly is ultimately very disappointed in what they get back or if they can find a good partner.

We have nothing that makes any sense at all for them.

Wiggins for Ben or CJ from Ben could become possible but I just don't see what the Bulls have to offer at all.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,620

Post#153 » by The Evidence » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 pm

This would be my offer for Simmons:

Spoiler:
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#154 » by drosestruts » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:56 pm

I'm not sold on Lonzo Ball, but I think I'd rather go after him than Simmons.

I like both players, but there's the question of what it would cost to acquire Simmons, and what that cost leaves you with.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by StunnerKO » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by StunnerKO » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm

TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#157 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:02 pm

Shooting is a pretty basic muscle memory skill. Simmons is a lock to improve it if that's what his entire summer's gonna be about. Tbh I don't see how they'd give up on Ben's improvement at something that simple at age 24. That would be an absurdly poor franchise decision. If the Sixers are willing to do that, and dumb enough to trade him for the bag of chips that we have, they will curse themselves right back into the oblivion from which they came. They don't need Ben to be Steph. They just need a passable jumper and 70 % at the line. Teens manage that after one good summer. This guy's a pro. It's a lock.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Post#158 » by kodo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:07 pm

If Lavine is traded, that means a nuclear rebuild. In which case we want high 1st round draft picks back, not a veteran on a $35M contract like Simmons. The only team I'd trade Lavine to is OKC, who has the picks to make such a move.

And after such a trade, I'd imagine Billy Donovan quits, just as he did in OKC when they were going for a rebuild.

Basically we're just rewinding the Bulls right back the season after the Butler trade. Semi-tanking, hoping for draft success, testing out assistants as Head Coaches.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#159 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 pm

TheStig wrote:

No we don’t have to think about doing Simmons and Thybulle for LaVine. That is an obvious no for Chicago. Nothing involving LaVine for Simmons.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#160 » by SfBull » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
SfBull wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I’m not sure why people keep mentioning Simmons for CJ. The last thing Portland needs is a guy who can only be successful if he takes the ball out of Lillard’s hands. Plus, who is going to support Lillard on offense if Simmons is now his primary sidekick.

Simmons on the Bulls is actually a great fit for both sides. We need a smart ball-handler and passer/+ defender and he needs to be surrounded by elite scorers that take the pressure off him to score. Zach and Vuc do that.

Not sure how having a non shooting pg who disappears in playoff games would help the Bulls.Perhaps a deal sending Coby and Lauri for him could be interesting for getting rid of busts like them at least.

He was arguably the second best player on a contender so you should be able to understand how he could improve a non-playoff team especially given that our biggest weakness was our point guard game.

I really know that our weakest spot is the point but I'm not exactly excited with the perspective of having Simmons running it as he showed signs of mental weakness with the Sixers folding repeatedly in the playoffs.He's obviously talented but I'd prefer signing a player like Ball .

Return to Chicago Bulls