Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#101 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:04 am

Hold That wrote:
fleet wrote:
Hold That wrote:I honestly feel like Verse will be our pick whether we stay at 9 or trade back.. I honestly don’t see us not addressing the DLine and Verse is the perfect 3-4 DE..

High motor, plays violent, great lockerroom leader, good against the run and rushing the QB. Seems like the classic Eberflus guy

I was thinking Verse has a solid floor because of your points. And more ready to play. Greg Gabriel was down on him yesterday for being too stiff to take above Turner. So who knows. Gabriel has been suspect lately.

Not a fan of Turner in the 3-4.. you HAVE to be good at the run which turner isn’t. I honestly don’t think he does anything better than Verse and isn’t ideal for our defensive scheme. If we were in the 4-3 then I can see but since we run Nickel 80% of the time Verse should be our pick(I don’t believe any of the WR will be available)

Verse Dexter and Sweat our DLine would be set for the next 4-5 years

Not to rain on your parades but the Bears do run a 4-3 base with a 4-2-5 nickel...

https://imgur.com/a/jddkCrC
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Post#102 » by Jimako10 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:37 am

Just browsing the measurables from this year's tackle class, and the one that sticks out from the rest is Amarius Mims. He's got some beastly measurables.

Height: 6-8 (89th percentile)
Weight: 340 (96th)
Hands: 11 1/4 (94th)
Arm: 36 1/8 (92nd)
Span : 86 6/8 (100th)
40: 5.07 (85th)
Broad: 111 (89th)

Darnell Wright was in the 90th or better in weight, 40, and broad jump. Everything else was fairly average aside from hands, which were in the 9th percentile.
jnrjr79
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,548

Post#103 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:08 am

fleet wrote:Filed under, I did not know that. And wish I didn’t know that. Wonder if this is helping tank his stock. At least among mockers

Fashanu measured in at 6’6”, 312 pounds, and 34-inch arms — almost identical to his listed size at Penn State. However, the Nittany Lions tackle measured in with a shocking hand size of 8 ½ inches.

According to Mockdraftable, only Drake Jackson had smaller hands among all offensive linemen to have participated at the NFL Combine. Jackson measured in with 8 ¼-inch hands out of Kentucky in 2021.

For tackles, Fashanu’s hand size is the smallest by some margin. The smallest tackle hand size in Mockdraftable’s system is nine inches, with several players, including Darnell Wright in 2023, having that measurement.

Wright is living proof for Fashanu that his hand size may not be an issue. The former Tennessee RT was drafted No. 9

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/penn-state-olu-fashanu-measures-combine-record-smallest-ot-hands/

Is hand size something NFL teams normally think is important for a tackle? I get it for people who are going to throw or catch the ball, but why do we care about it for a tackle?
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,992

Post#104 » by Dresden » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:00 am

JockItch43 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

ROFL, that sounds like the emptiest of PR gimmicks, WTF use is scrawling formations on your bathroom mirror?

Agreed but I did hear a report that of all the QB's at the combine, Penix impressed most in interviews when going over the whiteboard.

I've been saying for months Penix will be a great pickup for the right team. He was actually my preferred QB at the time if we decided to trade back to get "the haul". That's when he was projected to go in the 2nd round. Give him a decent line and a few weapons and he will excel.

Hoping Miami decides they don't want to pay Tua and drafts this kid. He'd also be a great fit in MN. In the right situation, he will be one of the best QB's in this draft IMO. Dude has a bazooka and made some of the most impressive, tight window NFL throws downfield that I saw in all of college football last season. I'm glad his stock is rising... as well it should be.

I agree. He would be QB 2 if not for the medicals, and age. But I think he will excel in the NFL, and could be one of those players that everyone later says "and we could have had him".
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,992

Post#105 » by Dresden » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:02 am

Here's a question: Who will be the best player on the Bears next season?
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#106 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:08 am

Jimako10 wrote:Just browsing the measurables from this year's tackle class, and the one that sticks out from the rest is Amarius Mims. He's got some beastly measurables.

Height: 6-8 (89th percentile)
Weight: 340 (96th)
Hands: 11 1/4 (94th)
Arm: 36 1/8 (92nd)
Span : 86 6/8 (100th)
40: 5.07 (85th)
Broad: 111 (89th)

Darnell Wright was in the 90th or better in weight, 40, and broad jump. Everything else was fairly average aside from hands, which were in the 9th percentile.

IMO Mims is the best OT in this draft based on the tape and it's not close. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded down, got a 2nd, missed out on the WRs and DEs but drafted Mims and played Wright at LT.

I do think DE, DT, and WR would all be a better use of our second 1st round pick this year though.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#107 » by MissileMike » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:18 am

Dresden wrote:Here's a question: Who will be the best player on the Bears next season?

Hopefully Caleb Williams. But more likely Moore, Johnson, or Sweat.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,983

Post#108 » by nomorezorro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:01 am

HearshotKDS wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

ROFL, that sounds like the emptiest of PR gimmicks, WTF use is scrawling formations on your bathroom mirror?

Yeah thats hokey as hell lol

laugh all you want, but this is very much the type of dumb **** jimmy butler would do, and look at how well that worked out!
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,149

Post#109 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:25 am

nomorezorro wrote:laugh all you want, but this is very much the type of dumb **** jimmy butler would do, and look at how well that worked out!

Lots of people do dumb stuff and aren't great.

Penix might be great. His obsession with football might be one of his strengths, but it's the skills (physical, intellectual, emotional, work ethic whatever) that will define the package in the end. Scrawling stuff on mirrors, if it isn't a pure publicity stunt, might be some evidence of some value with football obsession which hints at work ethic, but it isn't a practical valuable thing, just an underlying idiosyncrasy that may make you feel more confident in something you already probably knew he had.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Post#110 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:39 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
HearshotKDS wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Yeah thats hokey as hell lol

laugh all you want, but this is very much the type of dumb **** jimmy butler would do, and look at how well that worked out!

Someone already mentioned this but he might have that set up to practice in the mirror going over plays for his post combine interviews. That makes sense to me but Penix struggling to remember 10 random formations doesnt.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,631
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#111 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:49 pm

HearshotKDS wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:
HearshotKDS wrote:Yeah thats hokey as hell lol

Someone already mentioned this but he might have that set up to practice in the mirror going over plays for his post combine interviews. That makes sense to me but Penix struggling to remember 10 random formations doesnt.

It looks like formations in his bathroom but he's actually solving a decades old math equation while working as a janitor.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 621

Post#112 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:06 pm

Mindcrime wrote:
Read on Twitter

Special team probably, nice knowing you Velus.

Yes. Special teamer and occasional gadget guy. Too short to be a starter. For a guy that could get plugged into the slot WR position almost immediately I like Malachi Corley and especially Dez Walker from NC. He had some drops late in the season but I like his height at 6'2" and his speed 4.36/40. Both would be available on Day 2. Green Bay has shown you can find effective WRs outside of the first round. I sure wish we had a 2nd round pick. We have 2 next year. I wonder if someone would give us a 2nd rounder this year for a 2nd and a 5th next year?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,149

Post#114 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:13 pm

That Keenan Allen trade looks a lot worse after seeing Stefon Diggs go for a 2nd rounder.

-- edit ---

Nevermind, for some reason in my head I thought we also gave up a 2nd for Allen instead of a 4th. Still may be true, but not comparable transactions. Instead it's a reminder of how horrible the Chase Claypool trade was :lol: :lol:
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,960

Post#115 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter

The potential to get a future first rounder feels so enticing depending on how desperate teams are. But i do want a blue chip player as well. Decisions!
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,969

Post#116 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:48 pm

dougthonus wrote:That Keenan Allen trade looks a lot worse after seeing Stefon Diggs go for a 2nd rounder.

-- edit ---

Nevermind, for some reason in my head I thought we also gave up a 2nd for Allen instead of a 4th. Still may be true, but not comparable transactions. Instead it's a reminder of how horrible the Chase Claypool trade was :lol: :lol:

Just caught your edit.

But honestly Allen might be better than Diggs straight up.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#117 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:49 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

The potential to get a future first rounder feels so enticing depending on how desperate teams are. But i do want a blue chip player as well. Decisions!

Trading down for an extra 1st rounder would be the dream scenario imo.

We should be thinking about the next 5 years. Not just next season.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#118 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:55 pm

Ok now that we are a few months removed, how do yall feel about losing that last game to the Packers? Would you still have preferred to win and take that momentum into the new season with a worse draft pick, or should we be happy we are currently at 9 now?
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#119 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:55 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

How far would you need to get a first? Probably at least the late teens. Especially for a QB needy team.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#120 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:03 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

How far would you need to get a first? Probably at least the late teens. Especially for a QB needy team.

Yeah thinking late teens.

Return to Chicago Bulls