Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Re: The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall. 

Post#1181 » by Indomitable » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 am

85Bears wrote:Does anyone know how Donovan used Gallinari? Is that a role P Will can fill?

Gallo looks like he had some freedom in the OKC offense.

https://youtu.be/U5Khz1Fou40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Otto and Lauri getting that treatment.
:banghead:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,086

Post#1182 » by Wingy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 am

fleet wrote:Which teams traded down? If it was so easy and efficacious it would have been done. Nobody wanted to trade up. Because the draft was as homogeneous as you could imagine a draft to be. Singling out the Bulls, well it’s confusing.

In a draft where literally everyone’s a question mark, it’s beyond head-scratching to figure out where all these clearly superior options supposedly were.

You are doing work in this thread. I fully agree with everything you’ve posted the last 5-ish pages.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,587

Post#1183 » by fleet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 am

Susan wrote:

It's a pickup game against NBA players but he looks like a 3 here.

Hassan Whiteside, DJ Wilson (who Pat decided to abuse, and Bruno), Trae Young, Dinwiddie, Diallo
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,909

Post#1184 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:01 am

fleet wrote:Which teams traded down? If it was so easy and efficacious it would have been done. Nobody wanted to trade up. Because the draft was as homogeneous as you could imagine a draft to be. Singling out the Bulls, well it’s confusing.

If you weren't attached to Williams, it seems highly likely you could have traded down to 7 with Detroit and either gotten #16 or maybe a pick next year. They reportedly desperately wanted Williams. Of course, then you aren't getting your guy. However, if you thought this whole thing is a crap shoot and I'd rather have 2 than 1 then I think that deal was probably on the table.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Post#1185 » by PaKii94 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:03 am

dougthonus wrote:

If you weren't attached to Williams, it seems highly likely you could have traded down to 7 with Detroit and either gotten #16 or maybe a pick next year. They reportedly desperately wanted Williams. Of course, then you aren't getting your guy. However, if you thought this whole thing is a crap shoot and I'd rather have 2 than 1 then I think that deal was probably on the table.

The reason detroit was trying to trade up (when 7/16) was offered, it was to move up to 3 above the bulls. Why would they offer it to the bulls if they knew the bulls weren't going to grab PWill
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1186 » by fleet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 am

dougthonus wrote:

The draft included imho, a slightly elevated tier among the top 4 picks. This may be verified down the line as far as NBA FOs regarded. As long as all GMs had access to the same information on Williams that the Bulls evidently had. PW has been very mysterious about who he worked out for. His agent did a good job delivering his client to Chicago. That said, the top tier was only slightly elevated, (and not clearly delineated) and not a strong impetus to try and trade into Vs the rest of the field. Which seems very similar in quality down through the middle. The Detroit trade down question was likely answered when we got the reports of them seeking the 3rd pick. Must have realized the Bulls were sitting dead red on Williams.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#1187 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 am

sco wrote:I'm using my analogy for this draft again. This draft was the proverbial 3am choices in the bar. There's a lot of discussion as to whether the one with one leg is hotter than the one with the missing tooth. That's what this draft seemed like to me, lots of flaws everywhere you look, but it was easy to ignore them because they were so pervasive and you gotta take someone. We decided to go for the one sitting in the dark corner. Is PWill missing a tooth or a leg or is he the hidden gem...we won't know til morning, but that's who we brought home.

:lol: I think he's the one you just take because you're so drunk you don't care about the snaggletooth, only to wake up shocked to discover she's out of your league and you just bagged a dime (from a fan's perspective, I think AK went to the bar sober)
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1188 » by Axolotl » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 am

Susan wrote:

I was pretty indifferent about this draft, did very little "scouting", none on which was on Patrick Williams.

After the draft I watched him some, and - like many - thought he is a raw PF with a great physical profile and promising elements in his game especially on the defensive side. Which led me to believe that AK&co saw something I did not.

I guess they saw this PW, the one on that and a few other videos that have been floating around lately, as this guy might become something. Doesn't mean he will, but I've gone from "meh" to "maybe...".
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1189 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:40 am

According to The Athletic writer, "at least five teams, including the Spurs" were trying to trade up to get Williams.

That should be a positive sign for Bulls fans. The Spurs are obviously an organization that carries a great reputation for finding stars better than most. If their interest in Williams is real, that bodes well for his future.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2919268-bulls-rumors-latest-on-potential-zach-lavine-trade-kemba-walker-and-more
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#1190 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1330189145042522113%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcsports.com%2Fchicago%2Fbulls%2Fbulls-patrick-williams-shows-full-skillset-offseason-pickup-footage
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#1191 » by detlef_schrempf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:29 am

I’m all in on AK. The Williams pick was fine with me and looks better every day.

But I get it, GarPax PTSD takes years of therapy to recover from.
DO THE DEW!
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1192 » by fleet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 am

Will Perdue said these pickup game videos impressed him. Hopefully he has an informed opinion.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,246

Post#1193 » by HomoSapien » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am

fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:

Hassan Whiteside, DJ Wilson (who Pat decided to abuse, and Bruno), Trae Young, Dinwiddie, Diallo

I’m trying to remind myself that everyone except Denzel looks great in pickup basketball but it’s hard not to be excited by those highlights. One thing is clear: although he’s one of the youngest players in the draft he’s not raw in a Tyrus Thomas or Tyson Chandler type of way. PW’s offensive game is actually pretty polished and dare I say even a little old school with the mid-range game.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#1194 » by ZOMG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 am

These pickup game clips are like basketball candy. It's impossible to stop watching them even though they're very bad for you.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1195 » by fleet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am

Spoiler:
HomoSapien wrote:
fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:

I’m trying to remind myself that everyone except Denzel looks great in pickup basketball but it’s hard not to be excited by those highlights. One thing is clear: although he’s one of the youngest players in the draft he’s not raw in a Tyrus Thomas or Tyson Chandler type of way. PW’s offensive game is actually pretty polished and dare I say even a little old school with the mid-range game.

Read on Twitter
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#1196 » by JimmyJammer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 pm

I think I am in love, and even my wife is taking notice!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1197 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:26 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:If you weren't attached to Williams, it seems highly likely you could have traded down to 7 with Detroit and either gotten #16 or maybe a pick next year. They reportedly desperately wanted Williams. Of course, then you aren't getting your guy. However, if you thought this whole thing is a crap shoot and I'd rather have 2 than 1 then I think that deal was probably on the table.

The reason detroit was trying to trade up (when 7/16) was offered, it was to move up to 3 above the bulls. Why would they offer it to the bulls if they knew the bulls weren't going to grab PWill

I feel as though the complete answer to this question was in the quoted text already, but to put it another way, My confidence in Williams is a not mid 1st round pick better than Toppin or Advija, one of which would have been my choice at #7. Of course, that's obvious since I wouldn't have taken Williams #4.

However, I understand why we went all in on Williams if we felt strongly about him. I question the part about feeling so strongly about him. You could have still said "Williams is our #1 target but we have 3 other guys who grade out similarly and I'd rather have two shots" or even "man we couldn't really grade this draft well due to covid, we have Williams a bit ahead of these people, but the our confidence is low enough that we should take two shots with an extra pick".
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1198 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm

fleet wrote:The draft included imho, a slightly elevated tier among the top 4 picks.

Come on man, literally no one was saying that before the draft, and sure as hell no one was saying Patrick Williams, routinely mocked around #12, was the fourth guy everyone was dying to have. Show anyone who said before the draft that Williams is in this top tier.

Patrick Williams could end up being the best player in the draft, and if so, it will have been a genius move to not trade this pick and given into the temptation of more chances, but there is very little reason to think he'll be better than the next 7 guys drafted after him, there was no clear separation here between him and the next group of guys.

The fact that Detroit wanted him isn't really much evidence that a ton of teams wanted him or he had created a clear separate tier.
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,692

Post#1199 » by sco » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm not sold on Pwill, but I will say that he was the sort of high risk/high reward guy I wanted the Bulls to get instead of Deni. I think my reaction when the draft was made was "Not Deni, Not Deni, Not Deni...ahhh".
:clap:
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1200 » by Axolotl » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:52 pm

dougthonus wrote: Show anyone who said before the draft that Williams is in this top tier.

This guy, whoever he is :D

From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.

Return to Chicago Bulls