Image ImageImage Image

Would you offer Dunn any kind of extension?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,408

Re: Would you offer Dunn any kind of extension? 

Post#121 » by kodo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm

I can see Dunn being good for us in a 3&D role. Which may sound like I've been drinking, but I don't think Dunn is very good on-ball and never have even before he was a Bull. I never got all the ooing & aahing over Dunn Providence highlights, I saw a big guy trying to be a PG and crashing into smaller guys and tossing stuff up that randomly went in the hoop. Some people loved that, I saw a style that would never work in the NBA.

But Dunn is an 80% FT shooter and 35% from the 3, and he takes a lot of pull ups. He's only 65% assisted when a lot of off-ball guys are 90% assisted on 3s. He's one of the league's better shooters from mid-range at 45%. He has a very realistic path to shooting the high 30s from 3 on assisted, open shots. He has great defensive tools & instincts, even if he's not smartly playing defense much of the time and just committing stupid fouls from behind.

My hope for Dunn was always Beverly or Marcus Smart, never DRose pt 2 or John Wall or some other primary PG. I think expectations took off after his first year, but being a good 3&D generic guard is still a good outcome.

Even if Dunn is not "great," Bulls can't really afford to be picky about their guards. DJ Augustin, Spencer Dinwiddie both passed through this team. Russell & Dipo are making their old teams look even dumber in retrospect. Lou Williams is on his 6th team, you think someone would value this guy.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,820

Post#122 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:10 pm

kodo wrote:DJ Augustin, Spencer Dinwiddie both passed through this team. Russell & Dipo are making their old teams look even dumber in retrospect. Lou Williams is on his 6th team, you think someone would value this guy.

Lou cracks me up. Every year he is his team's spark plug, and every year he's cheap and easy to get. Meanwhile, all kinds of crap (Harrison Barnes, for example) gets $20 million per year and is treated like a franchise cornerstone.

Little guards don't get much respect but the good ones sure are a bargain.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,758

Post#123 » by Repeat 3-peat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I would bring him back next season for sure, wouldn't sign him to an extension but I wonder if he could break out in a bench role similar to Spencer Dinwiddie for the Nets.

He needs the ball in his hands and doing so against other bench players could go well for KD.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#124 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:We have another year to evaluate him at 5 mil per season. I agree with those who said sub-MLE money would be a steal. He’s a high upside guy who still has time to get it together. His play style doesn’t fit with Zach yet, but that’s because he hasn’t developed a 3 pt shot and doesn’t know how to finish at the rim. Those are two things he can completely fix in a couple of years. My guess is Kris was playing while injured for a long time, which is why his defense slipped so much. I hope we demonstrate some patience with this kid.

These are posters I respect. See how you can criticize him but still understand he is a 3rd year guard. A very hard position. And still figuring out his role. The dude has talent. The thing is is the players he playing with. Just because he looks lost a bit doesn't mean he's a bad player. He knows he has to shoot more and get teammates involved. If u ask me he's a pretty good shooter. Its not his bread and butter but he can kill teams with it like the 2 threes he made in overtime. Thats an elite pg right there. He struggles to. Sure he's still young. Give him more time to learn
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,149

Post#125 » by Bandit King » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:27 am

:crazy:
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 674

Post#126 » by Rose2Boozer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:42 am

No. Dunn's position on the roster is very shaky. He's going to have to show the ability to thrive in a reserve role.
ROLES & HOLES
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#127 » by drosereturn » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:03 am

kodo wrote:I can see Dunn being good for us in a 3&D role. Which may sound like I've been drinking, but I don't think Dunn is very good on-ball and never have even before he was a Bull. I never got all the ooing & aahing over Dunn Providence highlights, I saw a big guy trying to be a PG and crashing into smaller guys and tossing stuff up that randomly went in the hoop. Some people loved that, I saw a style that would never work in the NBA.

But Dunn is an 80% FT shooter and 35% from the 3, and he takes a lot of pull ups. He's only 65% assisted when a lot of off-ball guys are 90% assisted on 3s. He's one of the league's better shooters from mid-range at 45%. He has a very realistic path to shooting the high 30s from 3 on assisted, open shots. He has great defensive tools & instincts, even if he's not smartly playing defense much of the time and just committing stupid fouls from behind.

My hope for Dunn was always Beverly or Marcus Smart, never DRose pt 2 or John Wall or some other primary PG. I think expectations took off after his first year, but being a good 3&D generic guard is still a good outcome.

Even if Dunn is not "great," Bulls can't really afford to be picky about their guards. DJ Augustin, Spencer Dinwiddie both passed through this team. Russell & Dipo are making their old teams look even dumber in retrospect. Lou Williams is on his 6th team, you think someone would value this guy.

35% 3pt shooter is very misleading when he is closer to a career 30%, 70% ft shooter and he only played half of the season.
Not only his % is terrible, his 3pt attempts/makes is one of the worst I have seen which is why I am saying Ball has much more potential despite his 44% ft. These are the reasons why stats need to be put into context but not cherry picked. It can be deceiving and lead to the wrong conclusion which defeats the whole purpose of using statistics.
I dont see any shooting improvement in his future career since it was never his strength. Hes not working on it either like Rose who is now a fabulous shooter.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#128 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:14 am

6-8 mil of cap space is more valuable than Kris Dumb. Big pass.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,283

Post#129 » by TheJordanRule » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:We have another year to evaluate him at 5 mil per season. I agree with those who said sub-MLE money would be a steal. He’s a high upside guy who still has time to get it together. His play style doesn’t fit with Zach yet, but that’s because he hasn’t developed a 3 pt shot and doesn’t know how to finish at the rim. Those are two things he can completely fix in a couple of years. My guess is Kris was playing while injured for a long time, which is why his defense slipped so much. I hope we demonstrate some patience with this kid.

These are posters I respect. See how you can criticize him but still understand he is a 3rd year guard. A very hard position. And still figuring out his role. The dude has talent. The thing is is the players he playing with. Just because he looks lost a bit doesn't mean he's a bad player. He knows he has to shoot more and get teammates involved. If u ask me he's a pretty good shooter. Its not his bread and butter but he can kill teams with it like the 2 threes he made in overtime. Thats an elite pg right there. He struggles to. Sure he's still young. Give him more time to learn

Thanks for the compliment bud. Patience during a rebuild is hard to come by, but beggars can't really afford to be choosers. If it's not Kris, who else on the roster has any upside as a starter? It's a D-league second and third string at the moment.

Return to Chicago Bulls