Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#121 » by jordanwilliams6 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:11 am

Tari Eason is the one that hurts, selected one pick before Terry. He's the perfect big that AKME would love at the PF spot on the roster. Shoots well, great size and an excellent rebounder.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,564

Post#122 » by PaKii94 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:12 am

dougthonus wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
If he doesn't learn to shoot, he'd need a unicorn of a situation to be successful, because his passing is hard to get much value without a dribble attack / shooting threat, and he's not an uber athlete either. You are talking vet min hustle type guy.

That's why I said he needs a semi consistent shot. Otherwise yeah he's end of bench/out of the league

You mentioned people disappointed in his summer league play, but I think what was most disappointing to me is his shooting mechanics are still awful. It's really hard to see him develop into a solid shooter.

That was more towards people expecting him to put up big numbers in scoring as expected from a second year player in the summer league. That wasn't the expectation I had from him. His shot development is indeed disappointing and remains the swing factor. 2nd comes finishing at the rim. The rest of his game (intangibles/defense/strength training/connective playmaker) I am not worried about.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,375

Post#123 » by HomoSapien » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:28 am

Bitim is looking like a more intriguing and NBA ready player. I hope we convert his contract.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,711

Post#124 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:03 am

I like the idea of Dalen Terry, but the Dalen Terry in reality is one of the most out-of-control and unrefined players in recent memory. He's so raw he's bleeding.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,595

Post#125 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:40 am

HomoSapien wrote:Bitim is looking like a more intriguing and NBA ready player. I hope we convert his contract.

I'm not sure there is a clear path but I'm optomistic that he finds a way on. Perhaps I'm just over hyped from the video clips because we really haven't seen enough to judge otherwise for real, but just with the eye test he looks like he has something there. kinda wanted him to take a deal similar to Taylor's or Phillips not be a two way.

Jones would be our 15th man right now (I think) and with having 3 guys in front of him on the depth chart he's also kind of the odd man out. I never watch G league so I can't say much to be honest. Everyone else is under contract. Right?
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#126 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:49 am

HomoSapien wrote:Bitim is looking like a more intriguing and NBA ready player. I hope we convert his contract.

At the expense of whose spot?

Frankly I'd strongly consider declining Terry's third year option when we have to decide at the end of this month. I'd rather roll the dice on someone else than pick up his 3.5 million for year 3. Unless we make a consolidation trade. I'd much rather see more Phillips, Williams, Bitim etc.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#127 » by FriedRise » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:55 pm

Bitim can offer you shooting. Philips offers defense, blocking/rim protection, and printing the poster machine with his insane length and athleticism (he's my guy to watch). Ayo has his point of attack defense and apparently offensive rebounding and super speed in transition. Caruso gives you elite on-ball and perimeter defense; and Craig 3&D, rebounding, and veteran leadership.

Terry needs to find his niche; the one thing he can be very, very good at. Right now he's just average/below average at everything, but nothing that'll make Billy say, "You know what - that's what we really need, so Dalen get out there." There are just better options on the team.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,618

Post#128 » by jacoby1us » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:12 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:I like the idea of Dalen Terry, but the Dalen Terry in reality is one of the most out-of-control and unrefined players in recent memory. He's so raw he's bleeding.

Great assessment, not sure if he will ever stop bleeding to be honest.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,418

Post#129 » by kodo » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:01 pm

Drafted a guy who averaged 4-8 ppg against college competition with bad shooting indicators, results are predictable.
I think they were in a tough spot with Tari gone, Terry is right where the draft fell off. Kessler was still on the board but we clearly aren't interested in traditional centers. Can't say LaRavia or Braun were big misses, or really anyone after Terry. Maybe Jovic?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,375

Post#130 » by HomoSapien » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:21 pm

League Circles wrote:

Frankly I'd strongly consider declining Terry's third year option when we have to decide at the end of this month. I'd rather roll the dice on someone else than pick up his 3.5 million for year 3. Unless we make a consolidation trade. I'd much rather see more Phillips, Williams, Bitim etc.

Carlick Jones for me. We don’t need four point guards on the active roster
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,055

Post#131 » by DuckIII » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:I like the idea of Dalen Terry, but the Dalen Terry in reality is one of the most out-of-control and unrefined players in recent memory. He's so raw he's bleeding.

I've hated the "idea" of Dalen Terry since the night we drafted him. But I hoped I'd like the reality. Unfortunately the reality is even worse than the idea. Especially with our roster construction. He offers zero.

Is he an NBA level player? Its preseason of his second year and he has some NBA traits. Book ain’t written. But he sure as hell is NOT the type of NBA player our team, with our roster, should be wasting any real time on anymore.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#132 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm

Seems like most of us think he's worthless. So......... Can we all agree to decline his third year option? This nonsense of automatically picking up the 3rd and 4th year options of every "first round pick" has got to stop. It's assinine that the rules make teams decide so early, but I want to start cutting losses earlier. He'll make like 2.5 million more than a league minimum in his third year. I understand we may very well not be a cap space team, but you never know, plus it's also just about roster spots and general dollar allocation. Dude is like the 8th string SF on this roster.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#133 » by Risk Addict » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:54 pm

He looks worse than last year… which for a raw young guy to regress is very problematic. I like his energy but that doesn’t take training. What the heck did he train on over the summer??
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,055

Post#134 » by DuckIII » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:04 pm

League Circles wrote:Seems like most of us think he's worthless. So......... Can we all agree to decline his third year option? This nonsense of automatically picking up the 3rd and 4th year options of every "first round pick" has got to stop. It's assinine that the rules make teams decide so early, but I want to start cutting losses earlier. He'll make like 2.5 million more than a league minimum in his third year. I understand we may very well not be a cap space team, but you never know, plus it's also just about roster spots and general dollar allocation. Dude is like the 8th string SF on this roster.

No, your idea is still bad. Absent unique circumstances (attitude, legal issues, etc) we should not simply cut developmental first round picks on cheap contracts after two years. Their contracts have trade value and plenty of players who looked like crap early ended up being useful.

It might be frustrating and it might end up being a total waste of time and resources but cutting them for nothing accomplishes nothing relative to the value they could have.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,149

Post#135 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:26 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
League Circles wrote:

Carlick Jones for me. We don’t need four point guards on the active roster

If the Bulls want to duck the tax, they have to waive one of Terry Taylor or Carlik Jones prior to their guaranteed dates. You can almost guarantee they'll do that (and it'd be really stupid to not do that).

If they waive both, they can bring in a different vet min player and still duck the tax (possible to keep Favors this way or someone else).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM

Post#136 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:31 pm

DuckIII wrote:
League Circles wrote:Seems like most of us think he's worthless. So......... Can we all agree to decline his third year option? This nonsense of automatically picking up the 3rd and 4th year options of every "first round pick" has got to stop. It's assinine that the rules make teams decide so early, but I want to start cutting losses earlier. He'll make like 2.5 million more than a league minimum in his third year. I understand we may very well not be a cap space team, but you never know, plus it's also just about roster spots and general dollar allocation. Dude is like the 8th string SF on this roster.

No, your idea is still bad. Absent unique circumstances (attitude, legal issues, etc) we should not simply cut developmental first round picks on cheap contracts after two years. Their contracts have trade value and plenty of players who looked like crap early ended up being useful.

It might be frustrating and it might end up being a total waste of time and resources but cutting them for nothing accomplishes nothing relative to the value they could have.

I know you may be right, but I think the opportunity costs must be noted:

1. I disagree that they have trade value by default. In fact I'd say most guys taken in the 2nd half of the first round have negative value in the last year or two of their rookie deals, and it's not unusual to see them dumped or waived (which sucks cause then their salary is still on your books).

2. I know it's unlikely we'll be a cap space team, but I like to keep my options open, and it would be catastrophic to let Dalen Terry's superfluous 2.5 mil cap hit over a roster hold/league minimum prevent us from getting a real player.

3. As long as he's guaranteed, he'll be taking up a roster spot that could be filled more flexibly with a better player at a role of greater need than 9th string SF (I exaggerate a bit, but not much).

4. As long as we're playing make believe that the tax threshold is a hard cap, which most Bulls fans and maybe the Bulls org has been playing for years, I'd wildly prefer that superfluous 2.5 mil go to someone else. Even a better, undrafted prospect. This guy might be the worst young player we have from among Ayo, Patrick, Coby, Lewis, Bitim, Phillips, Sonago etc. Yes of course it's POSSIBLE that he becomes an nba player, but strongly unlikely, and especially with so many guys, including young guys, ahead of him. Yes it feels super bad to let a young gem get away, but it's not as obvious, yet no less damaging, to let the next Manu/Nocioni/undrafted whoever sign with another team because you couldn't cut ties with Dalen **** Terry and his broken shot after having him in your system for a season and 2 summers despite already drafting his replacement.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#137 » by FriedRise » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:22 pm

I've been more impressed with Phillips in the preseason minutes I've watched them play. One element is Dalen is trying to do too much - going a thousand miles an hour and playing out of control - while Philips mostly stays in his role and only does what he does best.

But that also speaks to what each can offer. There are specific things that Philips is great to elite at (defense, rim protection) while Dalen doesn't really have that one thing he can be consistently good at. It's like when you just started playing 2K and you upgrade all the stats equally instead of focusing on one/two things that can be your bread and butter while you wait for your VCs to accumulate. Yeah I might be slow and not be able to stay in front of dudes in the beginning, but if you leave me wide open I'm gonna knock that shot down.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,146

Post#138 » by Jvaughn » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:23 pm

FriedRise wrote:I've been more impressed with Phillips in the preseason minutes I've watched them play. One element is Dalen is trying to do too much - going a thousand miles an hour and playing out of control - while Philips mostly stays in his role and only does what he does best.

But that also speaks to what each can offer. There are specific things that Philips is great to elite at (defense, rim protection) while Dalen doesn't really have that one thing he can be consistently good at. It's like when you just started playing 2K and you upgrade all the stats equally instead of focusing on one/two things that can be your bread and butter while you wait for your VCs to accumulate. Yeah I might be slow and not be able to stay in front of dudes in the beginning, but if you leave me wide open I'm gonna knock that shot down.

Yeah, I'd rather put effort into developing Phillips over Dalen. And it's not remotely close. With Phillips, we know he'll need to put on some muscle and continue improving his shot. If he's able to do that, he can immediately contribute as a 3&D player at the NBA level. I don't see any path for Dalen to be a decent NBA player. He'll be out of the league once this contract is over.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#139 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:33 am

I mean what were we expecting from a guy who only averaged 8 ppg in college. :crazy:
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#140 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:23 pm

I'm not down on him, but he could still have a breakout season. He probably plays better with starters. His game is based on hustle. Just only knows one speed rn. That can be developed. He just cant out brute everyone all the time. There needs to be some skill he can offer on offense. He has talent and no focus on what he wants to be. Hes a nba player. Just hes not going to be good at the things he thinks he did in college. He can be a pass only player rn. Hustle hard in transition and be a defender. That will help him this season. He can see minutes, just by doing less and be a rebounder and defender. He has enough talent to figure it out

Return to Chicago Bulls