Image ImageImage Image

Bulls GM Search - Eversley, Hughes, Lloyd, Finley, Newman, Brown inteviewed

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

rmlsr
Freshman
And1: 32

Re: Bulls GM Search Official Thread - Permission to Speak to 3 Candidates [Woj] 

Post#141 » by rmlsr » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:07 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Give me Eversley

He’s still my favorite at this point. But I’m sure we don’t know these candidates as well as AK so my opinion really doesn’t matter. Lol
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,427

Post#142 » by coldfish » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:36 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
jump wrote:Milt Newton just added to the list. Milwaukee assistant GM. Don't know much about him, but the Bucks seem to have good results lately.

Milt Newton is a guy I've been mentioning for a while as someone worthy of an interview. He's had three meaningful FO stints:

VP Of Player Personel for the Washington Wizards (2003-2013). In Washington he was reportedly instrumental in their scouting department and also had a significant role in draft and free-agent decisions. It's hard to say what specific moves he was responsible for, but Washington made a shrewd signing in Gilbert Arenas then and made some strong draft picks in John Wall, Bradley Beal, Otto Porter Jr., Tomas Satoransky, and Javalee McGee. There was also some big misses (I.E. Jan Vesley over Kawahi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Vucevic, and Kemba Walker), but I think what's promising about this stint is that Washington was able to build two separate playoff teams during this span. Both teams underachieved (partly because of injuries, partly because they were still a piece or two away from being a contender), but the potential was there.

General Manager for the Minnesota Timberwolves (2013-2016). Flip Saunders was a big fan of Newton and hired him. He was fired and replaced by Thibs after Flip's passing. Newton was unable to build a playoff team here, but drafted Zach Lavine, Andrew Wiggins, and Karl Anthony-Towns. That was a team that was just oozing with potential and a ton of us were extremely jealous of that core. Who knows if they would have ever matured into winners, but I think most people believe that the Timberwolves made a mistake of breaking up that young team.

Assistant General Manager for the Milwaukee Bucks (2017 to Present). Giannis was already on the team, but during this time span the Bucks ascended the league to become the best team in the East. Gutsy vets such as Eric Bledsoe, Brook Lopez, Illyasova, George Hill, Mirotic (for a playoff run), Kyle Korver, Marvin Williams, Wes Matthews, and Robin Lopez were brought in during this span and some of their young pieces such as DiVincenzo and Connaughton have grown into solid contributors.

If I had a preference, it would be Newton but I know so little about him and the role, its a very weak endorsement.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#143 » by transplant » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:56 pm

I find this kinda funny.

If Karnisovas is the right guy, he'll pick the right FO team. If he's not...
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,352

Re: Bulls GM Search - Eversley, Hughes, Lloyd, Finley, Newman inteviewed 

Post#144 » by kodo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm just excited we're interviewing people with actual NBA resumes and not just names JR recognizes (oh Bill Cartwright, I know him!) or Iowa fishing buddies of Forman.

I'm actually positive about the Michael Reinsdorf era for once, now that he's proving to not follow in his father's footsteps of how to run the org.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,781

Post#145 » by gardenofsound » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Wait, where's the confirmation that all of these folks have interviewed? I didn't see anything about it.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,941

Post#146 » by ChettheJet » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Since it doesn't look like they're interviewing experienced people, former GMs, as a Bulls fan you don't know the second level FO guys on other teams, you have no idea what kind of upper level executive they would be or you're lying about being such an insider. It's just about impossible to gauge what kind of team anybody they hire is going to want to build, what if he shocks every fan and says Boylen is his kind of coach? So just relax and wait until they hire someone and he does the teleconference to lay out his expectations.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#147 » by chicago paxsons » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:06 am

ChettheJet wrote:Since it doesn't look like they're interviewing experienced people, former GMs, as a Bulls fan you don't know the second level FO guys on other teams, you have no idea what kind of upper level executive they would be or you're lying about being such an insider. It's just about impossible to gauge what kind of team anybody they hire is going to want to build, what if he shocks every fan and says Boylen is his kind of coach? So just relax and wait until they hire someone and he does the teleconference to lay out his expectations.

When it comes to boylen, i don’t doubt he won’t be retained specifically based on the type of offense karnisovas has said in interviews that he likes. He said he likes a free flowing, ball moving system. Boylen’s system doesn’t fit that. Boylen’s offensive relies on ball dominant guards like lavine and white. The ball rarely left the hands of whichever guards were on the floor, and those guards were always expected to create offense with the ball in their hands.

Boylen’s system only ever created off ball action to get an 3pt shot off. That’s why off ball players, forwards and big men, haven’t thrived in this system. Boylen’s schemes rely on ball dominant guards alone to create offense at the expense of everyone else. In denver they have ball dominant guards but, in denver’s system, they don’t always play on ball which creates touches for other players like jokic.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#148 » by aramada » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Per Sportando, Austin Brown is in advanced discussion to be the Bulls' GM. He's Zion's agent at CAA. Also represents Denzel and Dunn. Was DWade's agent prior to retirement.

(initially posted in the Finley thread. this is a better thread to post it)
Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#149 » by Chewie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 pm

aramada wrote:Per Sportando, Austin Brown is in advanced discussion to be the Bulls' GM. He's Zion's agent at CAA. Also represents Denzel and Dunn. Was DWade's agent prior to retirement.

Believe he reps Donovan Mitchell? Hmmmm
Turn down for what?
Marksmannen
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#150 » by Marksmannen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Reps Zion, JJJ, Mitchell, DLo, Dunn, Valentine and many more. Seems like a very interesting hire.
Derrick Rose - Jimmy Butler - Luka Doncic - LeBron James - Joakim Noah
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#152 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:57 pm

..........and just like that I'm all in on Austin Brown.

Proven he's analytical and hard working enough to get through law school AND sell himself to a superstar type guy?

Ummm, yeah.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
yifsuibfe1
Rookie
And1: 671

Post#153 » by yifsuibfe1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:58 pm

The writer who tweeted it has since deleted the tweet. Has anyone else reported this?
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#154 » by aramada » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Tweet is gone now
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,420

Post#155 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Chewie wrote:
aramada wrote:Per Sportando, Austin Brown is in advanced discussion to be the Bulls' GM. He's Zion's agent at CAA. Also represents Denzel and Dunn. Was DWade's agent prior to retirement.

Believe he reps Donovan Mitchell? Hmmmm

When D Wade did the "I know a guy" tweet I assumed he meant Adam Simon from the Heat front office, but maybe he meant Austin Brown.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#156 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:25 pm

aramada wrote:Tweet is gone now

Maybe they just need to keep it quiet while they figure out all the transition/exit strategy details from CAA. Leaving a group of players without their primary agent in the middle of this shutdown must be handled delicately I'm sure.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#157 » by JimmyButler21 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Brown seems like too random of a name to throw out there to not be right. My guess is someone jumped the gun.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,081

Post#158 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:45 pm

AK isn't cool. Getting a guy like Brown makes a ton of sense. Kinda like a player friendly coach. We need someone to recruit. Good be a homerun hire.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#159 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Chi town wrote:AK isn't cool. Getting a guy like Brown makes a ton of sense. Kinda like a player friendly coach. We need someone to recruit. Good be a homerun hire.

I agree. It would be a good out of the box strategy and someone connected with players. Give the Bulls someone who has the proper experience in AK, and someone who's connected in Brown.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,851

Post#160 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls