Image ImageImage Image

Highlights from Chicago Bulls bubble

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Re: Highlights from Chicago Bulls bubble 

Post#141 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:04 am

Hutch can help this team but he needs to stay on the floor.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#142 » by ZOMG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:48 am

Dez wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That is nasty.

Get a damn 3 ball Hutch and you're a starting quality player.

LaVine getting beat on the perimeter by a bench player, Wendell getting dunked on... ouch.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,763

Post#143 » by Dez » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:29 am

ZOMG wrote:
Dez wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That is nasty.

LaVine getting beat on the perimeter by a bench player, Wendell getting dunked on... ouch.

Anything to feed into your little anti-LaVine, anti-WCJ tirades isn't it?
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#144 » by bulls_troy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:36 am

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Dez wrote:
That is nasty.

Yep.... coz 2 things that happen in a scrimmage for guys that haven't played any competitive ball in 7 months, tells everything....
Twitter: @bulls_troy
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#145 » by ZOMG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:40 am

AirLaVine8 wrote:
Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Yep.... coz 2 things that happen in a scrimmage for guys that haven't played any competitive ball in 7 months, tells everything....

Hey, everyone was quick to point out that "Lauri is still afraid of the post" when Zach stole the ball from him in the earlier scrimmage video. 8-) Just let me overreact in peace.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#146 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:03 am

MrSparkle wrote:Glad Wendell is working on his handles, but:

(A) So Slow.

(B) More worried about his jumpshot.

Well the ball handling is good when he needs to do a 1 or 2 dribble move to the basket against other big men. Not like he's going to be playing and handling the ball like a wing.

We've also seen other clips of him working on his shot.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by ZOMG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:05 am

RedBulls23 wrote:

(A) So Slow.

Well the ball handling is good when he needs to do a 1 or 2 dribble move to the basket against other big men. Not like he's going to be playing and handling the ball like a wing.

Remember, he "projects" as a good shooter! :lol:
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,763

Post#148 » by Dez » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:05 am

ZOMG wrote:
AirLaVine8 wrote:
Dez wrote:

Hey, everyone was quick to point out that "Lauri is still afraid of the post" when Zach stole the ball from him in the earlier scrimmage video. 8-) Just let me overreact in peace.

So that equates to must point out LaVine and Carter things in video?

Dude it's not a crime to like Lauri but that doesn't mean you need to just nitpick every little thing about other players from short clips because people are critical of Lauri.

Also overreacting in peace would mean not quoting someone and throwing in a drive-by.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#149 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:25 am

ZOMG wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

(A) So Slow.

Rememer, he "projects" as a good shooter! :lol:

Yeah he does, because he did in college.

We'll see if he can develop it though. Lauri was suppose to be a good shooter, but he's been pretty pedestrian. Especially considering how mediocre he is on wide open looks. Hopefully both of them can develop going forward.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by ZOMG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:30 am

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
AirLaVine8 wrote:

Dude it's not a crime to like Lauri but that doesn't mean you need to just nitpick every little thing about other players from short clips because people are critical of Lauri.

Also overreacting in peace would mean not quoting someone and throwing in a drive-by.

I'm not a "Lauri fan". As I've said many times, he's a flawed player. I just think he deserves a proper chance under Donovan and may well turn out to be a building block after all. Quite a few fans seem to have taken an intense personal dislike toward the guy - and they're free to do so, of course. I just wonder what Lauri has actually done to earn that. To me it seems he's spent his years on the Bulls trying to do exactly what's asked of him on the court, often to the detriment of his individual stats.

The way Markkanen keeps popping up in like 95% of trade scenarions dreamed up by Bulls fans, it's obvious people just want to get rid of him because they don't like him. After all, his trade value is the lowest it's ever been. It literally makes no sense whatsoever to trade Lauri now, before he's shown what he can do under an actual NBA coach.

There's players on the roster who have had the luxury of spending the last few seasons squarely in their comfort zones, doing exactly the things that make them look good individually, never mind the damage it's sometimes caused to team performance. Zach and Wendell come to mind. I think it's pretty fair to have a fixed opinion of these guys by now. Carter, for instance, has been playing as a paint-clogging offensive non-entity for two seasons now - does anyone really think he'll look better in a modern NBA offense that demands floor spacing from the 5? For Wendell, it might very well be that the "good times" are over.

Zach is in his comfort zone when he gets to dominate the ball. Carter is in his comfort zone when he doesn't have to shoot and can hang out near the basket. But Markkanen's comfort zone is obviously an environment with motion and ball movement, and we've only seen that in spurts over the last few seasons. Of all the Bulls playing regular minutes, IMO he's the most intriguing case next season. If the Bulls can regularly get him to perform the way we know he can, it's a jackpot for the team. I think it's easily a "risk" worth taking.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,692

Post#151 » by sco » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:53 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

I'm not a "Lauri fan". As I've said many times, he's a flawed player. I just think he deserves a proper chance under Donovan and may well turn out to be a building block after all. Quite a few fans seem to have taken an intense personal dislike toward the guy - and they're free to do so, of course. I just wonder what Lauri has actually done to earn that. To me it seems he's spent his years on the Bulls trying to do exactly what's asked of him on the court, often to the detriment of his individual stats.

The way Markkanen keeps popping up in like 95% of trade scenarions dreamed up by Bulls fans, it's obvious people just want to get rid of him because they don't like him. After all, his trade value is the lowest it's ever been. It literally makes no sense whatsoever to trade Lauri now, before he's shown what he can do under an actual NBA coach.

There's players on the roster who have had the luxury of spending the last few seasons squarely in their comfort zones, doing exactly the things that make them look good individually, never mind the damage it's sometimes caused to team performance. Zach and Wendell come to mind. I think it's pretty fair to have a fixed opinion of these guys by now. Carter, for instance, has been playing as a paint-clogging offensive non-entity for two seasons now - does anyone really think he'll look better in a modern NBA offense that demands floor spacing from the 5? For Wendell, it might very well be that the "good times" are over.

Zach is in his comfort zone when he gets to dominate the ball. Carter is in his comfort zone when he doesn't have to shoot and can hang out near the basket. But Markkanen's comfort zone is obviously an environment with motion and ball movement, and we've only seen that in spurts over the last few seasons. Of all the Bulls playing regular minutes, IMO he's the most intriguing case next season. If the Bulls can regularly get him to perform the way we know he can, it's a jackpot for the team. I think it's easily a "risk" worth taking.

First, where can I find the whole scrimmage video for that?

Second, Hutch showed last season a much improved finishing ability (if only he could finish seasons...healthy).

Third, I want to help set expectations for folks. Don't expect changes from Donovan's coaching until the second half of the season...it takes time for guys to adjust to a new system.
:clap:
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#152 » by TeamMan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:04 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This reminds me of the MJ over Ewing Dunk!

StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#153 » by StunnerKO » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,855

Post#154 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:07 pm

I liked Hutch a lot when we drafted him, and his athletic ability has never been in question, he simply hasn't improved.

For him, it's not just a matter of him consistently hitting his jumpers, he needs to be a much better ball handler, and he is solid at straight line drives, but is sketchy as hell moving side to side. Plus, the guy is constantly injured.

He still has a long ways to go to even be a consistent bench contributor and seeing him dunk on someone in practice isn't going to change that.
Why so serious?
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by ZOMG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:40 am

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That does it, Wendell has the best work ethic in the team!! :clown:
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Highlights from Chicago Bulls bubble 

Post#156 » by StunnerKO » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:58 am

It’s getting old
sco
RealGM

Post#157 » by sco » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:23 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I liked Hutch a lot when we drafted him, and his athletic ability has never been in question, he simply hasn't improved.

For him, it's not just a matter of him consistently hitting his jumpers, he needs to be a much better ball handler, and he is solid at straight line drives, but is sketchy as hell moving side to side. Plus, the guy is constantly injured.

He still has a long ways to go to even be a consistent bench contributor and seeing him dunk on someone in practice isn't going to change that.

I think that we saw improvements in his game. He definitely improved his ball handling and finishing at rim/drawing contact. I think he has NBA starter potential, but agree that his injuries have limited his usefulness. If he can stay healthy, he's a guy who I'd love to keep on a long-term reasonable deal at a back-up level $.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,139

Post#158 » by Tetlak » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:45 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

I agree that Lauri deserves a chance under Donovan and even if he plays well, I still don't see him as a building block due to the archetype of player he is. For example, is Nemanja Bjelica a "building block"?

When it comes down to it, Lauri is a liability at almost everything aside from shooting. This is assuming that he plays well of course, because he's essentially been merely an average shooter in his career thus far.

I just don't see how a guy who can't create his own shot from either the perim or post, can't take advantage of mismatches, doesn't pass well, and can't defend either the perimeter or the paint (as a 7 footer) can be a building block in today's NBA.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,909

Post#159 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:15 pm

ZOMG wrote:I'm not a "Lauri fan". As I've said many times, he's a flawed player. I just think he deserves a proper chance under Donovan and may well turn out to be a building block after all. Quite a few fans seem to have taken an intense personal dislike toward the guy - and they're free to do so, of course. I just wonder what Lauri has actually done to earn that. To me it seems he's spent his years on the Bulls trying to do exactly what's asked of him on the court, often to the detriment of his individual stats.

I don't have any personal dislike for Lauri. I think he's a starting caliber guy and a useful player for a team (possibly our team). The only disappointment came from the brief thoughts he'd be more than a starting caliber guy and be more of a star guy. There's not much reason to think that's a possibility right now.

I think the reason to trade Lauri is because of what I said above, he's probably not more than a starting caliber guy and will be due an extension next year. Odds are you can't trade him at all next year in a S&T as those trades are hard. Maybe he's worth more at the deadline, maybe he's worth more now, hard to say and depends on what happens over the next few months, but if you aren't on the "extend Lauri" bandwagon, then trading him now makes quite a bit of sense. If he doesn't come out kicking ass to start the year, then his value will be less and not more later, and you should generally assume status quo not massive improvement.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#160 » by sco » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:25 pm

ZOMG wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That does it, Wendell has the best work ethic in the team!! :clown:

He does look to be in much better shape, I'll give him that.

Return to Chicago Bulls