Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,692

Re: Coby White discussion thread 

Post#141 » by sco » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:03 pm

:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,908

Post#142 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:38 pm

It's interesting, I've had two procedures that impacted my shoulder (one a shoulder surgery and the other was getting my upper most rib removed). My ability to feel I could take contact returned way faster than my ability to shoot a basketball in both cases.

They didn't mention his ability to shoot yet, so I wonder if he's able to get up shots at all.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#143 » by sco » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:

It's interesting, I've had two procedures that impacted my shoulder (one a shoulder surgery and the other was getting my upper most rib removed). My ability to feel I could take contact returned way faster than my ability to shoot a basketball in both cases.

They didn't mention his ability to shoot yet, so I wonder if he's able to get up shots at all.

I recall that Coby recently said he's been able to shoot some types of shots.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#144 » by FriedRise » Fri Nov 5, 2021 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,278

Post#145 » by TheJordanRule » Fri Nov 5, 2021 7:53 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
coldfish wrote:Pat and Coby make $15m next year. The Bulls will be right up against the tax and its extremely unlikely that the team just takes on more salary.

So, if you can get a starting level PF for those two for a serious run, I think you have to do it. The question is if there are any competent PF's out there that fit Chicago's scheme who make around $15m per year.

Who would even be that kind of player?

IMO, you need someone with legitimate offensive skills, because if you're just going with a defender, we have enough options already. If you could find someone that had legitimate offensive skills then I think he'll probably cost more than 15m, and I'd also wonder if we're just hurting enough on offense for that to be an upgrade anyway or whether we're better off running out wave after wave of athletic, lengthy perimeter defenders.

The one guy I think fits here potentially is Christian Wood, but I don't think that an offer of Coby + Pat is the best Houston could get if they decide to move him (which they probably should).

Boucher.

Thank you! Would love that! I know Boucher isn't the ultra athlete that Jones Jr. is, but he's a much better basketball player.
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,579

Post#146 » by Clocian » Fri Nov 5, 2021 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Damn I love Hip Hop!
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,352

Post#147 » by kodo » Sat Nov 6, 2021 2:13 am

I think he'll help the team once his shooting is back in form. Looking at all the best teams in the league like the Bucks, Knicks, Heat, etc. they all have a lot of guys who will just bring the ball up, not look at any other teammate, and just chuck a 3 pointer. Bulls don't have anyone like that, Coby can fill that role.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,810

Post#148 » by DuckIII » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:56 am

I miss the hair.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,485

Post#149 » by ImSlower » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:15 am

I'm sure he'd look completely normal if I stood next to him in real life, but there are so many photos (like that one) of Coby that I swear it looks like his arms are photoshopped like 20% smaller than they actually are. Am I crazy? Does that specific picture not make it look like his arms are like 6 inches shorter than they should be? He certainly doesn't have insane Brandon Ingram arms, but they look much more normal in motion. Photos just always look wacky to me.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 550

Post#150 » by jStuNNa » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:28 am

ImSlower wrote:I'm sure he'd look completely normal if I stood next to him in real life, but there are so many photos (like that one) of Coby that I swear it looks like his arms are photoshopped like 20% smaller than they actually are. Am I crazy? Does that specific picture not make it look like his arms are like 6 inches shorter than they should be? He certainly doesn't have insane Brandon Ingram arms, but they look much more normal in motion. Photos just always look wacky to me.

You're not crazy. Compared to most NBA players, he has a short wingspan relative to his height.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,714

Post#151 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:27 pm

jStuNNa wrote:
ImSlower wrote:I'm sure he'd look completely normal if I stood next to him in real life, but there are so many photos (like that one) of Coby that I swear it looks like his arms are photoshopped like 20% smaller than they actually are. Am I crazy? Does that specific picture not make it look like his arms are like 6 inches shorter than they should be? He certainly doesn't have insane Brandon Ingram arms, but they look much more normal in motion. Photos just always look wacky to me.

You're not crazy. Compared to most NBA players, he has a short wingspan relative to his height.

Like Jimmy Butler, who I always used to see only his short arms.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,461

Post#152 » by samwana » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:53 pm

i can't wait to get coby back, just curios how he will fit in

RealGM mobile app
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#153 » by cool007 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:36 pm

We really need him back playing soon. He is our super sub zero - a microwave scorer off the bench that we are lacking currently. If we have a consistent 15+ppg scorer off the bench with our off the bench defensive unit, we should be pretty damn good.
sco
RealGM

Post#154 » by sco » Sat Nov 6, 2021 5:57 pm

I love this thread, but it should be retitled: Coby White: Desperation breeds Delusion

Coby's offense has been below average in terms of shooting % and TO's. We are squinting at a very small subset of his play in a lesser role and are expolating that very small subst of decent performance into this new role. I will be optimistic that you guys are right.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#155 » by cool007 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:43 pm

sco wrote:I love this thread, but it should be retitled: Coby White: Desperation breeds Delusion

Coby's offense has been below average in terms of shooting % and TO's. We are squinting at a very small subset of his play in a lesser role and are expolating that very small subst of decent performance into this new role. I will be optimistic that you guys are right.

I partly disagree.

It's all about the role and expectations. Last year, Coby was expected to be 2nd option behind Lavine and a starting PG (which he shouldn't have been forced). He was expected to give us about 20ppg as a 2nd option and be a playmaker without turning it over every other possession.

This year, he will be a sixth man (best role for Coby) and he won't be playmaking but more he can focus on off-ball shooting, scoring which is he is best suited for at this time in his career. This time we are expecting him to be a 12ppg to 15ppg bench scorer which he definitely can.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,079

Post#156 » by Chi town » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:07 pm

cool007 wrote:
sco wrote:I love this thread, but it should be retitled: Coby White: Desperation breeds Delusion

I partly disagree.

It's all about the role and expectations. Last year, Coby was expected to be 2nd option behind Lavine and a starting PG (which he shouldn't have been forced). He was expected to give us about 20ppg as a 2nd option and be a playmaker without turning it over every other possession.

This year, he will be a sixth man (best role for Coby) and he won't be playmaking but more he can focus on off-ball shooting, scoring which is he is best suited for at this time in his career. This time we are expecting him to be a 12ppg to 15ppg bench scorer which he definitely can.

This. Well said Cool
sco
RealGM

Post#157 » by sco » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:30 pm

Chi town wrote:
cool007 wrote:

I partly disagree.

This. Well said Cool

Let's say he plays 18 mpg, I'd be thrilled if he could average 12ppg...That said, I think he is going to come in and struggle for at least a month given his long layoff, but at least we can blame the new ball.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#158 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:07 pm

sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:
cool007 wrote:
I partly disagree.

This. Well said Cool

Let's say he plays 18 mpg, I'd be thrilled if he could average 12ppg...That said, I think he is going to come in and struggle for at least a month given his long layoff, but at least we can blame the new ball.

I don’t think Coby has the luxury of playing poor basketball for a month. Billy has already gotten creative in getting minutes for Ayo, who’s responded really well with them. If Coby comes in and takes minutes from Lonzo, Zach, Caruso, and Ayo, and is the defensive turn style he was last year AND can’t hit a shot? I don’t that ends well for him.

I do think with a reduced role he looks better than last year, so I’m actually excited to see him out there, and I don’t think there is anyone on this board that hated him more than me last year.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
sco
RealGM

Post#159 » by sco » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:42 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
sco wrote:
Chi town wrote:

This. Well said Cool

I don’t think Coby has the luxury of playing poor basketball for a month. Billy has already gotten creative in getting minutes for Ayo, who’s responded really well with them. If Coby comes in and takes minutes from Lonzo, Zach, Caruso, and Ayo, and is the defensive turn style he was last year AND can’t hit a shot? I don’t that ends well for him.

I do think with a reduced role he looks better than last year, so I’m actually excited to see him out there, and I don’t think there is anyone on this board that hated him more than me last year.

I think Coby will get a long leash to "find his game".
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#160 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Nov 6, 2021 10:13 pm

sco wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
sco wrote:Let's say he plays 18 mpg, I'd be thrilled if he could average 12ppg...That said, I think he is going to come in and struggle for at least a month given his long layoff, but at least we can blame the new ball.

I think Coby will get a long leash to "find his game".

Hopefully no leash required and he comes out of the gates playing well. :pray:

Hopefully he’s watching how Ayo defend screens and is learning. Crazy fact, Ayo is actually older than Coby.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls