Image ImageImage Image

KC Johnson: Bulls Coaching Decision Imminent

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#21 » by molepharmer » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:44 pm

I suppose it's possible Thibo's people have already told Pax he has no interest in coaching the Bulls - at least I hope that's the reason for Pax hiring a coach (if he does) before the finals are completed.

Thibo's resume sounds like he's just what the Bulls need.
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#22 » by pdenninggolden » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:49 pm

molepharmer wrote:I suppose it's possible Thibo's people have already told Pax he has no interest in coaching the Bulls - at least I hope that's the reason for Pax hiring a coach (if he does) before the finals are completed.

Thibo's resume sounds like he's just what the Bulls need.

I wonder if Thibo is cost-prohibitive; he might be Boston's presumptive coach-in-waiting.
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr
JGeils
Assistant Coach
And1: 31

Post#23 » by JGeils » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:56 pm

Just about every chance I can, I'd tell you to listen to Tommy Udo. This is not one of those times.

I'm not pushing for Casey in any way. What I am telling you is he's chuffed at bringing up a story that 98 percent of the youngsters on this board might not know.

Stop it. It's about as relevant as Skiles' pot smoking.
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#24 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:14 pm

JGeils wrote:Just about every chance I can, I'd tell you to listen to Tommy Udo. This is not one of those times.

I'm not pushing for Casey in any way. What I am telling you is he's chuffed at bringing up a story that 98 percent of the youngsters on this board might not know.

I disagree about relevance. Casey's actual involvement in the Kentucky scandal is subject to debate and if he wasn't involved in payola, good for him.

However, it is unclear whether he was actually involved or not -- and if he was involved in sending that $1,000 in cash, cheating is certainly more of a cloud than Skiles being involved in some pot and coke use as a young man. Both are no-no's, but Skiles' smoking a doobie pales in comparison to Casey affecting the integrity of the game (if he did).

It is an issue I do consider worth putting out there in the debate. Even if remoteness in time does mitigate in Casey's favor, it is not a blot on his record which has been or should be completely erased from his record.

I'm not suggesting a remote incident in the past in which he may or may not have been actually involved should cost him a job, but it is fair game to recall the incident and leave it to the powers that be to assign whatever weight they see fit to the info.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#25 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:19 pm

JGeils wrote:Just about every chance I can, I'd tell you to listen to Tommy Udo. This is not one of those times.

It's 20 years ago & I had even forgot it was the Casey until McGraw mentioned it

McGraw's article is 3 days old.

It's not like I went on Internet & dug up a scandal.

I am not using it as an argument against him (note the green font).
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#26 » by DanTown8587 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:26 pm

You know what, Casey fell on that sword for Kentucky. You think Eddie Sutton is stupid enough to have his name on the envelope? You think Casey acted alone? No to either. Plus, this is the NBA, not college. Its why Kalvin Sampson has a job in Milwaukee and will never coach in the NCAA again. I am not really worried about him sending $$$ to a perspective FA, mainly because the Bulls aren't gonna pay him enough to have Casey passing out money.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#27 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:28 pm

Casey obviously is following boss' orders. 99% of us would do the same.

I know that I would.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,026

Post#28 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:33 pm

I disagree about relevance. Casey's actual involvement in the Kentucky scandal is subject to debate and if he wasn't involved in payola, good for him.

However, it is unclear whether he was actually involved or not -- and if he was involved in sending that $1,000 in cash, cheating is certainly more of a cloud than Skiles being involved in some pot and coke use as a young man. Both are no-no's, but Skiles' smoking a doobie pales in comparison to Casey affecting the integrity of the game (if he did).

It is an issue I do consider worth putting out there in the debate. Even if remoteness in time does mitigate in Casey's favor, it is not a blot on his record which has been or should be completely erased from his record.

Personally, it doesn't even come up to me as a blip. Besides the time factor involved, I'm convinced that almost all top schools are paying athletes under the table and that the coaches all know about it whether they were directly involved or not.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
pdenninggolden
Analyst

Post#29 » by pdenninggolden » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:35 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Personally, it doesn't even come up to me as a blip. Besides the time factor involved, I'm convinced that almost all top schools are paying athletes under the table and that the coaches all know about it whether they were directly involved or not.

I agree; it barely registers on the Richter scale.
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#30 » by TB#1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:51 pm

pdenninggolden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree; it barely registers on the Richter scale.

"Thank you...can I have a hug?"
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 379

Post#31 » by Pax for Prez » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:22 pm

Media doesn't know what's going on. Imminent could mean 2 weeks! I'm gonna start wearing that boston beat LA sig hoping Boston will sweep[/quote]

Yep, since no announcement can be made during the finals. These reporters don't have a clue. :banghead:
Billy Shakes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Billy Shakes » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:35 pm

The Bulls have said they are not going to rush the process. They certainly have not. Why hurry it now when there a a couple good canidates available for interview within a couple weeks.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#33 » by bullzman23 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:35 pm

Pax for Prez wrote:
Yep, since no announcement can be made during the finals. These reporters don't have a clue. :banghead:

Why not? Terry Porter was hired.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior

Post#34 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:37 pm

Hire a proven winner and coach in Flip Saunders and stop messing around.

I could care less either way but that is the obvious choice with the team you have is to bring in Flip. :nod:

You could do much worse...
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,778

Post#35 » by kyrv » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:44 pm

If a decision is imminent, looks like Thibo was indeed a 'top candidate'. No, really.
Bill Walton wrote: Keep the music playing.
Billy Shakes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Billy Shakes » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:48 pm

NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:Hire a proven winner and coach in Flip Saunders and stop messing around.

I could care less either way but that is the obvious choice with the team you have is to bring in Flip. :nod:

You could do much worse...

I don't have a problem with the Bulls not bringing in head coaches they are familiar with. Obviously, they have at some point caused them disinterest. However, when they are seeking different philosophies from canidates with no head coaching experience, they have to follow through on this waiting game.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#37 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:53 am

Weighing that very issue will come into play as, barring a surprise, Paxson will offer the job to former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey or Suns assistant general manager Vinny Del Negro.

Those two, plus a longer shot in Kings assistant coach Chuck Person, expected to know Paxson's decision late Sunday or sometime Monday.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... 5811.story

This is from KC 10 minutes ago
Bull Shak
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#38 » by Bull Shak » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:54 am

Paxson is a complete and utter moron.

Then again, I don't trust anything that KC publishes, the guy is a hack, and has no credibility as a journalist.
http://www.dabullz.com home to the Bulls' encyclopedia.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#39 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:56 am

Bull Shak wrote:Paxson is a complete and utter moron.

Then again, I don't trust anything that KC publishes, the guy is a hack, and has no credibility as a journalist.

You're right. You have more credibility. You think we'll hire AJ, so I'll take your word for it.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#40 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 4:59 am

Who is it??? Casey or Del Negro????

Either will be a big surprise. I really want to know what Vinny had to say. He came out of nowhere to be even considered.

Return to Chicago Bulls