Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition Pick #11

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , Michael Jackson, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, fleet

ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 923

Re: 2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition 

Post#201 » by ChiefILL53 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:05 pm

not saying they should draft him, but I think coleman hawkins is gonna have a nice career as a swiss army point forward
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
Muzbar
Veteran
And1: 1,796

Post#202 » by Muzbar » Wed May 8, 2024 5:36 pm

Jcool0 wrote:We all pretty much know what is happening if the Bulls luck into #1 (Alex Sarr). But what should they do if they move up to say 7th? At that point you have some really interesting options. Pretty much everyone who people hope falls to #11 would be around at 7. We know Matas Buzelis wont last to 11 but would you take him at 7? Would you still try for an upside play with Holland at 7? Do you go with the sure thing of Dalton Knecht (even if that means he tops out at a 15 ppg guy)? Reed Sheppard could be BPA but seems a tad redundant with Coby on the team.

Do you mean via trade? Because you can't move up to 7 via the lottery, it's top 4, stay where you are or slide back (because a team behind you jumped into the top 4).
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,808

Post#203 » by kodo » Wed May 8, 2024 6:56 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:
Muzbar wrote:If he drops to 11 and the Bulls take him, I certainly wouldn't be upset. I feel like after the combine and workouts he'll be probably top 5 though.

I don't want Holland. He's high usage and can't shoot. Dude has a high motor, but I'd rather some other team pray his shot develops. I would hope AK passes on Ron Holland.

Personally, I'm still on the Tyler Smith bandwagon. A lot has to go wrong for Smith not to hit(No Diddy).

He's high usage only in the G league. No other team would've given him the ball and asked him to create like that.

Agreed, G-League is terrible for draft evaluation. Amen Thompson is averaging 22 / 11 / 8 in the GLeague. They're all just stat padding and helping each other get a spot on an NBA rotation.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,647

Post#204 » by Dan Z » Wed May 8, 2024 7:53 pm

sco wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
League Circles wrote:How would people feel about the possibility of our pick (likely #11) not being in the rotation next year? Like, would that upset you?

On a team this mediocre without much really young good talent, I think I would be. I'm not saying whoever we draft should be given an entitlement rotation role, nor that we should draft for need. But I am saying we should make it a priority that whoever that is gets a good shot at a rotation role, which is another reason we need to try to approach the FA period and the draft having already decreased our rotation lock guys at the 1-2-3 spots.

I like to presume that we'll get boxed into a decision to have to pay Demar and/or Patrick a bit more than we want to avoid losing then for nothing, which we'll likely avoid. So with those 2 assumed in the fold, we have 6 guys already at the 1-3 spots in Patrick, Demar, Caruso, Zach, Ayo and Coby. That means if BPA at #11 is a 1, 2 or 3, we're already putting ourselves in a poor asset-management position if we need to draft a 3rd stringer at #11. Only really good teams should/could have the luxury of waiting to see what a #11 can do. I'm just talking a consistent 10-20 mpg role.

And I didn't mention Ball or Carter. But Ball stands a pretty good chance of at least giving it a try. Carter has a bad contract that will become highly negative if he's indefinitely benched.

So how do you guys feel about the prospect of seeing a #11 pick rot in a 3rd string role next season? Problem or not.

Zach, Caruso, Coby or Ayo simply gotta go in a deal before the draft.

I'd be ok with that as long as the player they draft shows potential (more than Terry/Phillps). If he looks like someone who can be a future starter (maybe more) then thats good for #11.

I'm also someone who would like them to pick Dalton Knecht if he's available, so take my two cents for whatever its worth.

I definitely don't want them to draft another guy who spends most of his time in the G League and looks like he might not even be an NBA player for very long (I guess Denzel is an example).

I think that this team isn't on the cusp of a championship. As such, it shouldn't be at all the focus to get a guy who can contribute year 1 if that, in any way, if that costs us a guy who will be the better player in 3 years.

I agree with you, but I'd be disappointed if the Bulls drafted another Dalen Terry level player. At #11 the Bulls should be able to get a player who contributes at least a little bit on the pro level.

These are the top 11 picks last year: Wembanyama, Miller, Scoot, Amen, Ausar, Anthony Black, Coulibaly, Walker, Hendricks, Wallace, and Jett Howard. Howard is the only one who spent most of his time in the G League.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 8,180

Post#205 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:14 pm

Muzbar wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:We all pretty much know what is happening if the Bulls luck into #1 (Alex Sarr). But what should they do if they move up to say 7th? At that point you have some really interesting options. Pretty much everyone who people hope falls to #11 would be around at 7. We know Matas Buzelis wont last to 11 but would you take him at 7? Would you still try for an upside play with Holland at 7? Do you go with the sure thing of Dalton Knecht (even if that means he tops out at a 15 ppg guy)? Reed Sheppard could be BPA but seems a tad redundant with Coby on the team.

Do you mean via trade? Because you can't move up to 7 via the lottery, it's top 4, stay where you are or slide back (because a team behind you jumped into the top 4).

4th... 7th... the point was this draft really has no sure things so what would you do when instead of hoping one of 4-5 guys somehow falls to 11th but have to pick between 5 players at the pick lets go with 4th. At that point Clingan might be available, but on this Bulls team probably isn't used correctly since who the heck is going to get him the ball correctly to maximize his skills. Not sure i would take him.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,371

Post#206 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 8, 2024 10:55 pm

Dan Z wrote:
sco wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
I'd be ok with that as long as the player they draft shows potential (more than Terry/Phillps). If he looks like someone who can be a future starter (maybe more) then thats good for #11.

I'm also someone who would like them to pick Dalton Knecht if he's available, so take my two cents for whatever its worth.

I definitely don't want them to draft another guy who spends most of his time in the G League and looks like he might not even be an NBA player for very long (I guess Denzel is an example).

I think that this team isn't on the cusp of a championship. As such, it shouldn't be at all the focus to get a guy who can contribute year 1 if that, in any way, if that costs us a guy who will be the better player in 3 years.

I agree with you, but I'd be disappointed if the Bulls drafted another Dalen Terry level player. At #11 the Bulls should be able to get a player who contributes at least a little bit on the pro level.

These are the top 11 picks last year: Wembanyama, Miller, Scoot, Amen, Ausar, Anthony Black, Coulibaly, Walker, Hendricks, Wallace, and Jett Howard. Howard is the only one who spent most of his time in the G League.

Fun fact:

Lonzo as a Bull has played more minutes total (1212) than D. Terry (890 minutes, after 2 seasons). And Terry has been around for 2 injury ravaged seasons.
Muzbar
Veteran

Post#207 » by Muzbar » Wed May 8, 2024 11:59 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

4th... 7th... the point was this draft really has no sure things so what would you do when instead of hoping one of 4-5 guys somehow falls to 11th but have to pick between 5 players at the pick lets go with 4th. At that point Clingan might be available, but on this Bulls team probably isn't used correctly since who the heck is going to get him the ball correctly to maximize his skills. Not sure i would take him.

If the Bulls moved up to 4, depending where other teams end up, I'd look to trade back for multiple picks.

For example if the Bulls move up, it potentially moves the Raptors back to 7th which then gets sent to San Antonio (top 6 protected for Raps) so the Spurs would have 7 and 8 (potentially).

If the Bulls keep I'd look to see if anyone slid, or look into Matas Buzelis.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,375

Post#208 » by League Circles » Thu May 9, 2024 12:07 am

Man I just checked out Edey for the first time. I don't watch college ball. If he's there at #11 I think you gotta take him. He could actually be a star.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Chicagoat
Rookie
And1: 1,031

Post#209 » by Chicagoat » Thu May 9, 2024 2:43 am

Read on Twitter
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 11,104

Post#210 » by TheSuzerain » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 pm

League Circles wrote:Man I just checked out Edey for the first time. I don't watch college ball. If he's there at #11 I think you gotta take him. He could actually be a star.

Welcome aboard.
RedBull23
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#211 » by RedBull23 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:48 pm

Hey, what’s up with all the different timings of the lottery on Sunday? Some sources say it’s happening at 3pm ET on ABC and other say that it’s at 8:30pm ET on ESPN.

Does anyone know where I could watch it in Europe?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 8,180

Post#212 » by Jcool0 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:13 pm

Muzbar wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Muzbar wrote:Do you mean via trade? Because you can't move up to 7 via the lottery, it's top 4, stay where you are or slide back (because a team behind you jumped into the top 4).

If the Bulls moved up to 4, depending where other teams end up, I'd look to trade back for multiple picks.

For example if the Bulls move up, it potentially moves the Raptors back to 7th which then gets sent to San Antonio (top 6 protected for Raps) so the Spurs would have 7 and 8 (potentially).

Not sure this would be a draft many teams would want to trade up in.
Muzbar
Veteran

Post#213 » by Muzbar » Thu May 9, 2024 7:13 pm

League Circles wrote:Man I just checked out Edey for the first time. I don't watch college ball. If he's there at #11 I think you gotta take him. He could actually be a star.

I just checked out Edey again, I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not. I don't see anything that says he'll be a star. He's a big kid playing against a bunch of not as big kids.

Jump hooks and dunks.

Maybe in the 90s he'd be a top 5 pick, I certainly wouldn't be taking him at #11, please don't do it Bulls.
Muzbar
Veteran

Post#214 » by Muzbar » Thu May 9, 2024 7:19 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

Not sure this would be a draft many teams would want to trade up in.

True, not many would be interested in moving up, but it's still potentially an option. For example, if the Bulls get 4th and and Nikola Topic is on board and the Spurs want to pair him with Wemby, they may trade their 2 FRPs to get him, you could end up with 2 prospects like Buzelis and Dillingham.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#215 » by League Circles » Thu May 9, 2024 7:23 pm

Muzbar wrote:

I just checked out Edey again, I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not. I don't see anything that says he'll be a star. He's a big kid playing against a bunch of not as big kids.

Jump hooks and dunks.

Maybe in the 90s he'd be a top 5 pick, I certainly wouldn't be taking him at #11, please don't do it Bulls.
I mean, he's waaay bigger than his nba counterparts are. He has a better chance than most #11 picks to be a prolific scorer/star. And that's what we need - a real star. Jokic went ridiculously late too.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrSparkle » Thu May 9, 2024 7:35 pm

League Circles wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

Jump hooks and dunks.

I mean, he's waaay bigger than his nba counterparts are. He has a better chance than most #11 picks to be a prolific scorer/star. And that's what we need - a real star. Jokic went ridiculously late too.

There's a maybe to Edey, but you have to be aware that he has very high odds of being a completely irrelevant NBA player. He might figure out the defensive end thanks to his standing reach, but this guy is not mobile at all. So you're getting the Vuc/Jokic (at their worst) defensive special: which as both have proven, if the system and perimeter defense is elite, you can have a competent defense.

However, they have to make their minutes worthwhile by being insanely efficient scorers. When you consider that Jokic is pretty much an unstoppable triple-threat from any spot on the floor, and was passing like Sabonis/Magic as an 18yo () ... You can't classify him as just as another comparable C.

Edey is more Hibbert/pre-3P Brook/RoLo/Drummond/Ayton/Valanciunas/Zubac. With even slower feet. But I do like his speaking skills (the older I get, the more potential and value I see in a young adult who can speak maturely), his size, skills, physicality and his college numbers were indeed exceptionally dominant. Jay, Langdon, Jimmer, Beasley, Okafor, McDermott and Hansbrough too, FWIW.

I'd feel very comfortable taking him after 15, and especially comfortable if Bulls got extra draft capital and went younger. Would stink to see Demar/Caruso go, but seeing as we're locked into play-ins, these guys aren't going to make MIP jumps in their 30s, and their getting pay-raises in the next summers, it's a no-brainer to gamble on some younger players.

At top-12, I'd look more for some combination of guaranteed athleticism, versatility, 3P shooting and playmaking. Taking a full-time C (or PG, who can't defend bigger players i.e. Trae in a best-case scenario) is generally a lower odd pick. For however much a bust Pat has been, he's still playable. Can you imagine if he was a center? (Eddy Curry meets Wiseman). As disappointing as he's been, with the injury, I see myself being somewhat satisfied if Bulls lock him in on some Ayo/Coby deal.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 11,104

Post#217 » by TheSuzerain » Thu May 9, 2024 7:40 pm

Muzbar wrote:

Jump hooks and dunks.

I think you're missing that his physical edge could very well just stay in place in the NBA and would allow him to compromise NBA defenses. That's basically the pitch.

Plus he's a bully with his physical gifts (unlike a Wiseman).
League Circles
RealGM

Post#218 » by League Circles » Thu May 9, 2024 7:59 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Muzbar wrote:I just checked out Edey again, I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not. I don't see anything that says he'll be a star. He's a big kid playing against a bunch of not as big kids.

Jump hooks and dunks.

There's a maybe to Edey, but you have to be aware that he has very high odds of being a completely irrelevant NBA player. He might figure out the defensive end thanks to his standing reach, but this guy is not mobile at all. So you're getting the Vuc/Jokic (at their worst) defensive special: which as both have proven, if the system and perimeter defense is elite, you can have a competent defense.

However, they have to make their minutes worthwhile by being insanely efficient scorers. When you consider that Jokic is pretty much an unstoppable triple-threat from any spot on the floor, and was passing like Sabonis/Magic as an 18yo () ... You can't classify him as just as another comparable C.

Edey is more Hibbert/pre-3P Brook/RoLo/Drummond/Ayton/Valanciunas/Zubac. With even slower feet. But I do like his speaking skills (the older I get, the more potential and value I see in a young adult who can speak maturely), his size, skills, physicality and his college numbers were indeed exceptionally dominant. Jay, Langdon, Jimmer, Beasley, Okafor, McDermott and Hansbrough too, FWIW.

I'd feel very comfortable taking him after 15, and especially comfortable if Bulls got extra draft capital and went younger. Would stink to see Demar/Caruso go, but seeing as we're locked into play-ins, these guys aren't going to make MIP jumps in their 30s, and their getting pay-raises in the next summers, it's a no-brainer to gamble on some younger players.

At top-12, I'd look more for some combination of guaranteed athleticism, versatility, 3P shooting and playmaking. Taking a full-time C (or PG, who can't defend bigger players i.e. Trae in a best-case scenario) is generally a lower odd pick. For however much a bust Pat has been, he's still playable. Can you imagine if he was a center? (Eddy Curry meets Wiseman). As disappointing as he's been, with the injury, I see myself being somewhat satisfied if Bulls lock him in on some Ayo/Coby deal.

There's just no way on the face of the earth that he's not a real upgrade on defense from Vuc. He's way more physical, better shot challenging instincts and is like 5-6 inches taller!!!!

He looks like the best low post scoring prospect since maybe Yao Ming or Shaq.
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 375

Post#219 » by moorhosj » Thu May 9, 2024 8:04 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I think you're missing that his physical edge could very well just stay in place in the NBA and would allow him to compromise NBA defenses. That's basically the pitch.

Plus he's a bully with his physical gifts (unlike a Wiseman).

The interesting thing about Edey is that he was at the combine last year, so we will have hard evidence of improvements he has made to his body and agility. I think it makes sense to wait until we get those results.

Last years combine: https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#220 » by MrSparkle » Thu May 9, 2024 8:34 pm

League Circles wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
League Circles wrote:I mean, he's waaay bigger than his nba counterparts are. He has a better chance than most #11 picks to be a prolific scorer/star. And that's what we need - a real star. Jokic went ridiculously late too.

There's just no way on the face of the earth that he's not a real upgrade on defense from Vuc. He's way more physical, better shot challenging instincts and is like 5-6 inches taller!!!!

He looks like the best low post scoring prospect since maybe Yao Ming or Shaq.

I think Drummond is proof enough that a physical towering big man can still be a big defensive liability. I will agree he’s better than Vuc (and maybe Edey too).

But i totally disagree he looks like the best low post scorer since Shaq. Jokic and Embiid were the best low post prospects since Shaq, and it’s not close. Kind of like 2 points in the bag if they isolated in the paint, as rookies (then on top of that, they could shoot from range and handle on the perimeter).

Edey’s got more of that soft touch baby hook and soft layup package, that reminds me of Vuc and Hibbert. Shaq was pulling the rim down with dumpster truck dunks. Jokic and Embiid’s footwork and shooting touch as 18yo prospects were on another level.

I’ll also say, the older they get, the more they’ve relied on working the ball from the perimeter (with their shooting range and ability to face up).

Edey is going to have to land on a team with elite 3P shooting and the green light to work the low-post. That’s not Billy and the Bulls.

Backup/development on Suns, Cavs, Sixers/Nuggets, Spurs, Thunder.. probably his best spot.

I think coaches like Thibs, Billy won’t play him at all.

Return to Chicago Bulls