Image ImageImage Image

Mirotic Time, Hoopshype Interview P.12

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Mirotic Time 

Post#261 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:40 pm

MC3 wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:
Sounds like he's been told he's having a bigger role.

But that's a bit obvious don't u think? Even if thibs was here Niko would have a bigger role.

he wouldnt

I disagree Niko showed he can play and do it well. I may not agree with it but I feel with thibs may have plugged him in at small forward and tried to get him minutes. Thibs is a hard ass but the guy did play guys after their rookie year when they showed they could handle playing. Plus his only other choice is Doug or maybe tony.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,139

Re: Mirotic Time 

Post#262 » by Wingy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 am

MrTwister wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Well no. Madrid plays Euro League and Spanish League. Between those two leagues, MIrotic played 64 games in his final European season (62 games the year before). He only averaged 24 minutes per game, though.

Gotcha. That matches more what my original perception was. So in the NBA, he is playing about 33% more games in a shorter time frame.

Seasons in Europe lasts for about 9 months where Niko played total of 77 games, while just in 6 months span he played 82 games plus another month or two of playoff games.It takes a little time to adjust on that kind of pace.

Plus there's nba travel. Spain is only 3/4 the size of Texas. While I hope folks in general start to temper their expectations on Niko, he definitely had a ton to adjust to even w/his euro pro experience. Oh. There's also the fatherhood thing. That's huge. Hope for health as Bulls fans do and we should see a lot of positive growth. Hopefully he's getting that 3 ball in tune cause it was busted for too much of last year.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: Mirotic Time, Hoopshype Interview P.12 

Post#263 » by GimmeDat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:51 am

I think we saw the 'best' Mirotic, or at least close to it, just not consistently.

If you gave him a full season with the role and minutes of a key player, I think he could consistently replicate his 20/10 month over a full season.

The guy has the key attributes of a star scorer - can score all over the floor, on or off ball, works for opportunistic baskets, and most importantly, gets to the line nearly as well as our man Jimmy. The guy still put up great season numbers despite failing to shoot from the floor, particularly from 3, at the clip most believe is possible from him.

I don't think until we've sorted out the front-court glut and given Mirotic true reign as the PF and 2nd/3rd offensive option will we see his full potential, but I still see him improving from last year.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#264 » by Rerisen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think we saw the 'best' Mirotic, or at least close to it, just not consistently.

He can definitely get better at defense and just general smarts, not using the pump fake so much.

Offensively I would agree even if he plays a bigger role this year, more minutes, he might not actually get the ball as much as last year during that stretch when I think both Rose and Gasol were out.

He just about became the first option late and that probably wont' be the case again.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#265 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 pm

dude has icewater in his veins, so not afraid to take the big shot.

I think Thibs not playing him enough in the playoffs was the final straw that guaranteed his exit from the team.
This guy was GarPax pet, they gave up 2 picks to get him and waited his contract ordeal out a couple of years. They knew he was good.

Finally gets here, starts playing really, really well and is getting like 30 min a night.
Then come playoff time he can't get on the floor?

Everyone is talking about this Delladova kid from out of nowhere and he's willing his team to victory.

Meanwhile our EURO star, a guy who has won MVPs in Euro League for helping his team win championship playoff series is riding the pine.

His euro league MVP trophies tell me this is a guy who seems to play better when the lights shine brighter.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#266 » by GimmeDat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:25 am

Rerisen wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think we saw the 'best' Mirotic, or at least close to it, just not consistently.

He can definitely get better at defense and just general smarts, not using the pump fake so much.

Offensively I would agree even if he plays a bigger role this year, more minutes, he might not actually get the ball as much as last year during that stretch when I think both Rose and Gasol were out.

He just about became the first option late and that probably wont' be the case again.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Compared to what was said about him coming over, I was actually quite surprised with his defense. Outside of what I would consider general rookie errors, I think he has the makings of being very respectable at that end. Ditto for rebounding.

As for getting shots, I think the 6th man role works for him, at least for now, because he is able to come in and be that main guy in the 2nd unit while some of our core players are sitting.

It's worth noting his minutes were all over the place last season as well, which in part lead to fluctuations in form. If he has a consistently large role, I think we're going to see that confidence increase and his play improve.
art_barbie
Banned User
And1: 157

Post#267 » by art_barbie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:55 am

If you gave him a full season with the role and minutes of a key player, I think he could consistently replicate his 20/10 month over a full season.

The guy has the key attributes of a star scorer - can score all over the floor, on or off ball, works for opportunistic baskets, and most importantly, gets to the line nearly as well as our man Jimmy. The guy still put up great season numbers despite failing to shoot from the floor, particularly from 3, at the clip most believe is possible from him.

I don't think until we've sorted out the front-court glut and given Mirotic true reign as the PF and 2nd/3rd offensive option will we see his full potential, but I still see him improving from last year.

i appreciate your enthusiasm for Niko's skills and potential. I agree that he will be/is becoming that good.

It will likely take some time maybe 1-2 years from now. Its a comfort thing....he is a "feel" player. And he is also talented at drawing fouls. It will be another 1.5-2 years before he is fully acclimated and until the refs are fully acclimated to his game...If I'm correct, it will get to the point where he can virtually predict where and how he gets his foul calls. Right now he is still gambling and hoping for calls. That said he is light years ahead just about all NBA rookies in this talent. I do expect improvements.

Once he begins hitting 3's at a must be respected rate, his pump fake will become deadly.

I see Niko becoming the primary scoring option over Rose, Butler, and Gasol if he is still here over the next 1-2 years as well. I would not be shocked if it happens playoffs this year for at least 1-2 series.

many posters here think Rose needs to be 2011 Rose for the bulls to have any chance at the finals. I could nto disaggee more. I think We need March Niko with a 37% 3 pt% or better to get into the finals and Rose to just become more efficient, play way better defense, distribute more, and everyone else stay about the same. If that happens and Doug becomes an elite 6th man then we will be as good as anyone imo.
art_barbie
Banned User

Post#268 » by art_barbie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:16 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:dude has icewater in his veins, so not afraid to take the big shot.

I think Thibs not playing him enough in the playoffs was the final straw that guaranteed his exit from the team.
This guy was GarPax pet, they gave up 2 picks to get him and waited his contract ordeal out a couple of years. They knew he was good.

Finally gets here, starts playing really, really well and is getting like 30 min a night.
Then come playoff time he can't get on the floor?

Everyone is talking about this Delladova kid from out of nowhere and he's willing his team to victory.

Meanwhile our EURO star, a guy who has won MVPs in Euro League for helping his team win championship playoff series is riding the pine.

His euro league MVP trophies tell me this is a guy who seems to play better when the lights shine brighter.

pretty much spot on.
art_barbie
Banned User

Post#269 » by art_barbie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:29 am

Rerisen wrote:

that ability to pump fake and draw fouls when he could not even hit the broad side of the barn from deep was huge for us. It will likely become deadly when he can even hit 35% of his 3's which i would not be surprised to happen this year. I see Niko as becoming the best overall scoring option on this team in the next 1-2 years unless we get someone better offensively than what we have now-very unlikley.

defensively you underrate Niko severely. Rebounding considered, he might be our best defender at the 4 right now, and last year over the last 3 months. Or you simply over rate taj and Noah, imo. Taj is a below average rebounder at the 4 and poor at the 5 and Noah cant move his feet well enough to guard athletic 4's.

There is this sense on these boards (almost from the twightlight zone) where Gasol is a terrible defender and Niko being maybe not as bad but almost. That is just not even close to reality. We only have 1 elite defender at this point and his name is jimmy butler. he is the only guy that can get crossed up with a 1,2,3, and even a 4 and defend well. Everyone else needs to guard what they are good at guarding, taj and Noah as well. Taj and Noah are more aptly described as borderline plus defenders at this point. Like gasol and Niko, they have weaknesses.

For example Taj and Noah are terrible, just atrocious at guarding big centers that have post up games...even guys like MOzgov and Bogut. And those 2 guys are significant because they are the starting 5's on 2 likely ECF or potentially Finals opponents. Neither Taj nor Naoh can keep them below 60% TS in the post one one during a 7 game series. gasol can, in fact likely below 50% TS. We would be forced to double down off of good 3 point shooters against both teams...same for Duncan and SA. We woudl get killed for doubling down in the post and helping either Noah or taj.

This is a huge strategic starting point(and ending point) for who should start at C all season long as we gear up for the ECF(Mosgov, and if we get lucky Bogut in the Finals, if not Bogut then Duncan. We will need a 5 that will not get demolished in the paint one on one and force us to help. Then of course it would be of great importance during that series is that same player can rebound, and stretch the court on offense to bring shot blockers out of the paint.

That player is gasol and only gasol. No one on this team is even close to having the skills to do all that except gasol. And we need those 4 things...not 3 of them, not 2 of them but all 4. We must be able to guard Bogut, MosGov, and Duncan one on one and keep them below 50-52%TS without doubling down. We must be able to rebound. We must be able to stretch the floor on th eother side. We must get 55%TS or better from the same player and on volume as we do not have 2 players that can get 30 or more on any night...we just dont have that scoring so we need to share the scoring burden.

gasol is our best 5 by large margin at guarding other large 5's that have a post game.
gasol is our best rebounder by decent margin.

Taj and Noah have strength and weakesses as defenders.

Taj and Taj is out best help defender at the 4.
Noah is our best help defender at the 5.

Niko is our best one on one defender of stretch 4's out on the wing and by pretty good margin, as I've seen 3 after 3 after 3 given by Noah and Taj through the years as well as both giving up easy(back-to-the-basket) baskets under the rim. Niko has the ability to stay both long and strong in the paint (at least against a typical 4) where Taj and Noah are always crouching and attempting to time post players via jumping-thats just poor technique for even wilt chamberlain. You dont defend the post well that way. INstead you stay long, and strong so you dont get back down. You use your hands down low to get blocks and steals down low...but you gotta have strong hands for that and and quick mind...something Niko has and Noah and taj do not. Niko only had trouble with the schemes at first and then familiarity-getting to know the league and opposing players tendencies but once he locked in on a guy...got him on the radar, he defended and rebounded very well against that player. And he is only going to get better.

But all 4 of Taj, Noah, Gasol, and Niko have weaknesses defensively. Noah while a good defender only at the 5 and mostly as a help defender(pick and roll) he is a weak post defender and not very good if switched up onto a 3 or 4. What made Noah "good" or DPOY was playoff type "EFFORT" on a random tuesday night against charlotte. Sure he "earned" the DPOY but he was never a ben Wallace type defender. Nor Prime Dwight Howard. never. Not in his wildest dreams could he take on the best 5 in the league in the playoffs and shut him down while also being a menace shot blocking machine against the entire squad instilling fear. Noah never instilled no fear in anyone. Not once. That DPOY he won has a few people on here fooled into thinking he is that kind fo defender and he isn't.

In fact what made Noah so good was Taj, and what made Taj so good was Noah. they are both HELP DEFENDERS. in that they both are on the same age with each other...have great chemistry with each other, and therefore help each other and others really really well by virtue of effort and energy and therefore look or appear better statistically defensively than their individual defensive talent would never suggest that they would be all-nba type defenders and NOT by large margin.

What helped them even more was they always had Luol Deng on the court with them with a Bogans, Hinrich, Thabo, Asik, brewer, butler, etc. Heck we even had the actual ben wallace for a couple years. And we had all out defensive minded coaches going back to skiles. Good x's n o's, with elite effort, and everyone tied in together made many poster on here feel like Noah is some defensive monster that he just isn't. he just is NOT that guy. I wish he was a prime wallace or prime, Howard, Or Prime Duncan...even Duncan of right now but he isn't. he is a 6-11, lanky, uncoordinated, high intensity, high effort guy that has a bad wheel which is going to severely affect just how much we can get out of his effort and intensity.

Taj imo opinion is a much better all around defender than Noah. But Taj is also somewhat robotic defensively. Taj falls for pump fakes, he is always trying to block shots which sometimes puts him out of good rebounding position, so he gives up Orebounds. He also squats down when guarding the post...getting ready to jump for a block. again, instead of staying long and strong, denying deeper post position. Noah and taj are your classic decent talent maximized by high energy type of defenders. Taj is a gifted athlete and not uncoordinated so that helps. He has a great second and third leap which makes up a little for his falling for pump fakes and his high jumping ability and long arms help him to rebound even when out of position from attempting to block shots. You add it all up and you have a good help defender. Like Noah, Not a game changer at all, especially during the playoffs where he kind of easily becomes invisable. Niko does not defend like this as he is more floor bound in the post...like Gasol. So they deny post scoreres better. Then of course Niko has the better instincts guarding stretch 4's out on the wing.

If both taj and Noah had any type of decent offensive game whatsoever this would be a no brainer as they have great defensive chemistry (together) and both are great help defenders-so they together can run an elite defensive unit(when playing together)-we do know this...but combined as a duo, they are nearly inept on offense...Noah is borderline and NBDL player(or worse) on offense. And taj's offense is that of about an 10th or 11th man offensively. Both with zero ability to stretch the floor, even to 12 feet. So it just doesn't work playing them together...and thats where the great defense comes from...when they are on the court together.

Even Thibs, the defense first coach, played Gasol 35 mpg. he knows that Gasol though not elite overall has great strengths as a defender and is elite offensively. Thibs scheme just did a poor job of hiding gasol's only weakness(pick and roll defense).

BTW, I'd like to see gasol vines against Milwaukee and cleveland before he strained the hammy because Gasol is not an effort is his talent kind of player. Gasol is a talent is his talent kind of player versus a playoff effort during the regular season is his talent. He is no Kenneth Faried type like Taj is nor an Andres Nocioni type like Noah. So Gasol at 35 years old and playing in b2b is more likely to take a play off here and there in the regular to catch his breath and he knows he is being counted on to drop 20 on good efficiency on the other end. A 20ppg scorer needs his legs to keep his efficiency up. I truly wonder how the vines and stats look defensively with Noah, taj, Niko, and gasol in all of thes epick and rolls during the actual playoffs.

And thats really it. This nonsense that we have elite(ly) talented defenders on this roster(jimmy aside) should really be put to bed. We had and highly ranked defense during the regular season for the last 6 years was because of playoff effort and chemistry and by having 5-7 plus defenders on the roster. Noah and Taj's reputations as defenders were greatly enhanced by having hinrich, deng, and jimmy on the floor with them for many of those minutes. The contingency of posters that think Noah did that all by himself need to understand how flawed that is and understand that losing multople plus defenders is likely why we dipped to around 10th last year...we no longer have multiple playoff effort (during the regular season) type plus defenders around Noah. We didn't dip because of Gasol...you give Gasol, prime, hinrich, Brewer, Deng and Bogan and we still likely have the #1 or 2 defense in the league. And probably get to the ECF in those sans Rose years.

In short, noah's game was a successful regular season gimmick. We've got the real thing now at the 5 and we just need to scheme better for it, seal the lanes better on the perimeter. Taj is not that much better a defender at the 4 than Niko is better on offense. With Niko there is a net gain just in a vacuum in Taj vs. Niko. As a whole, Butler, Rose, and perhaps snell will be better offer with both Gasol and Niko stretching the floor. The real issue imo is making Rose play actual NBA acceptable defense. Rose must be accountable for his defense and then not shot jack on offense. That happens and we are looking at top 8 (or better) defense, top 3 offense. I think we will get no better net gain in any other combination.

As I've stated before, Noah and Taj run a completely different defense oriented 2nd unit that just pummels teams defensively with hinrich, doug, and Moore. Thats our best plan.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,136

Post#270 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:13 pm

^^^^

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#271 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:26 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:^^^^

I thought my scroll bar was malfunctioning..
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,136

Post#272 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:31 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:^^^^

I thought my scroll bar was malfunctioning..

lmaooooo
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,796

Post#273 » by Ice Man » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:42 pm

While I agree with most of this, it should be noted that "EuroLeague MVP" isn't anything like what that award seems to be. It's not some playoff honor; EuroLeague is a league, played over months, and Niko's bio (linked below) shows him as winning a bunch of monthly awards. It's like winning Player of the Month in December.

The one exception is that he was MVP for the Spanish Cup Final, which is clearly an example of excelling in playoff situation.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=000796#!biography
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#274 » by Stratmaster » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm

I see a few things happening this season.

-Butler has established himself as a scorer. However, it will be hard for him to match what he did last season on the offensive end.
-Pau Gasol will play his last season as a starter for the Chicago Bulls.
-Niko will play the 6th man role well, and as the season progresses so will Niko, eventually becoming the #2 "go-to" guy on the team, even though he isn't starting.

All of this resulting in Niko being the Bull's starting PF, #2 (possibly #1 depending on how Rose progresses) scoring option, and a near 20/10 guy at this time NEXT season
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,392

Post#275 » by kodo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:14 pm

Stratmaster wrote:All of this resulting in Niko being the Bull's starting PF, #2 (possibly #1 depending on how Rose progresses) scoring option, and a near 20/10 guy at this time NEXT season

If Hoiberg were bold I'd like to see Niko start as our PF this season, because
1. I don't consider Pau a "PF" in today's NBA and at age of 34. Defensively he almost always guards the 5 anyway.
2. Taj is injured
3. I don't consider Noah a "PF" either, especially in Hoiball.

If it's about winning games, Niko starts at PF and our two centers Noah & Gasol battle it out to start at the 5.

But with so much drama and egos affecting last season, I don't know if Hoiberg will do that.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#276 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 pm

kodo wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:All of this resulting in Niko being the Bull's starting PF, #2 (possibly #1 depending on how Rose progresses) scoring option, and a near 20/10 guy at this time NEXT season

1. I don't consider Pau a "PF" in today's NBA and at age of 34. Defensively he almost always guards the 5 anyway.
2. Taj is injured

If it's about winning games, Niko starts at PF and our two centers Noah & Gasol battle it out to start at the 5.

But with so much drama and egos affecting last season, I don't know if Hoiberg will do that.

If that's the truth i'm not watching much Bulls basketball next year.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#277 » by Rerisen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:29 am

art_barbie wrote:that ability to pump fake and draw fouls when he could not even hit the broad side of the barn from deep was huge for us.

Niko was a quality 3pt shooter in Europe, I don't want him pump faking when he's wide open. I want him shooting.

defensively you underrate Niko severely. Rebounding considered, he might be our best defender at the 4 right now, and last year over the last 3 months. Or you simply over rate taj and Noah, imo. Taj is a below average rebounder at the 4 and poor at the 5 and Noah cant move his feet well enough to guard athletic 4's.

How can I underrate him when I never rated him?

All I said was he can get better. I don't see where you post follows from that, unless you believe he is at his max defense potential in his rookie NBA season.

Nowhere did I say he was bad.

But as far as Noah and Gibson, last year were down years. In past seasons they were far better defenders than Rookie Niko. And if we want an elite defense again, they will need to return to close to those levels.

For example Taj and Noah are terrible, just atrocious at guarding big centers that have post up games...even guys like MOzgov and Bogut. And those 2 guys are significant because they are the starting 5's on 2 likely ECF or potentially Finals opponents. Neither Taj nor Naoh can keep them below 60% TS in the post one one during a 7 game series. gasol can, in fact likely below 50% TS. We would be forced to double down off of good 3 point shooters against both teams...same for Duncan and SA. We woudl get killed for doubling down in the post and helping either Noah or taj.

Gibson has had absolutely elite 1v1 defensive stop percentages in past seasons against guys at *his own position*. No he can't go and guard centers like Bogut or Mozgov.

This is a huge strategic starting point(and ending point) for who should start at C all season long as we gear up for the ECF(Mosgov, and if we get lucky Bogut in the Finals, if not Bogut then Duncan. We will need a 5 that will not get demolished in the paint one on one and force us to help. Then of course it would be of great importance during that series is that same player can rebound, and stretch the court on offense to bring shot blockers out of the paint.

Next time we play Cleveland, Mozgov in the post will be a non-factor, because they will likely be healthy. The Warriors won the Finals going away from Bogut, in no way would there strategy be to go to Bogut against Noah in the post. Bogut is not near the same offensive player after his catastrophic injury. He's mostly a garbage man on offense now.

Gasol is not the answer on defense. He is terrible against PnR and it is the most important play in the NBA, run by the best offensive players and facilitators over and over. He's also 35 and his decline will be ongoing.

The answer writ large to the team is Niko replacing Gasol's offense and Noah either recovering, or us finding a new defensive anchor in the future.

Gasol is a great guy, it makes a lot of people cheer for him, but his raw stats overinflate his value.

This team has no chance at a top 10 defense with a Gasol/Niko frontline for the majority of the game.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,709

Post#278 » by sco » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:08 pm

On the Mirotic pump faking, I see the value of it, but I think he overused it to the point where he would have to consciously consider pumpfaking on every shot at it messed up his timing.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#279 » by Stratmaster » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 pm

kodo wrote:

2. Taj is injured

The starting lineup was relatively effective last season even with a gimpy Noah. I believe Noah is the perfect Center to allow Gasol to roam on offense. I also believe Niko played rather mediocre all of last season with the exception of one month, and outside of his scoring was unsure and often out of position, particularly defensively.

If Niko has a huge pre-season and Noah is still gimping around I have no problem changing the starting lineup. However there is no way I want to see Mirotic in the starting lineup in place of Gasol.
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#280 » by bullsRlife » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Usually, guys that are going to become all star caliber have a few of those games where everything comes together, and they show off their entire arsenal in a game or 2, and shows what they can be when they're fully ready for the NBA grind. Niko had a whole month of that. No fluke. The guy's gonna be at the least a borderline all star for the foreseeable future.

And we usually overrate out players, and puff up their attributes to new heights, but he legit is in the top 3 fastest big men category, with top 5 PF handles. Sky is the limit for him, and with the new structure of how basketball is played in the NBA, he's gonna feast when he puts it all together.

Return to Chicago Bulls