Image ImageImage Image

the Jimmy Butler Trade in Hindsight

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Re: the Jimmy Butler Trade in Hindsight 

Post#281 » by Stratmaster » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:14 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Butler is the better ball handler. A ton of Butler's value is that he just never turns over the ball yet he still functions as a very effective playmaker for others. That's a rare combo that's usually reserved for top point guards.
In Pippen's first ten seasons with the Bulls, he never played less than 72 regular season games. And also played through to the final NBA game of the playoffs 6 of those seasons, and the ECF one other.

The old trite " the best ability is availability" means Butler never could have been close to being considered the 2nd best Bull in history.

Pippen was a better defender, better rebounder, had better shooting percentages from both 2 and 3 point range and a better efg%.

The only thing Butler does better than Pip did is get to the free throw line, but Pippen wasn't a slouch there either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Butler's career is going to be weird to evaluate because he's not going to have career totals.

But his peak/prime is very impressive and higher than someone like Pippen's. #1 option and taking a team to the finals and ECF while being probably the #1 or #2 best player in those playoffs is some very rare air.

But yeah if you're grading on longevity and durability, Pippen has an edge.

Pippen took his team to the ECF as well. I don't see his prime as being any more impressive than Pip. Not Pips fault he had the greatest player in history playing alongside him. I could be wrong but I don't see Jimmy Butler ever making a top 50 of all-time list, do you?
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: the Jimmy Butler Trade in Hindsight 

Post#282 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:10 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:If Tatum played like he did in that series, we would've had an incredibly different Finals as well. Hell, even if he half-way played as good as he did in the ECF, I think the series goes 7. Yes, he's still very young, but there are some things he did that you can't blame on youth, just personality. Tatum is another guy who would benefit greatly from playing with a guy like Butler IMO.

PS, I wanted that shot to drop as I was in the building for this game and as much slack as we give Miami fans for being awful, that place was electric that night. And Jimmy is seen on the same level as Wade down in South Beach. It's crazy, but so cool to see fans appreciate players at the highest levels.

Went to my first Heat game last Dec, of course Jimmy was out so I didn't get to see their fans show any love.
I loved all the Wade stuff and was surprised I saw nothing LeBron there. Nothing, nada, squat. I expected to see something in the team shop but it's like the guy never existed there. It was odd.

Lotta Tyler Herro jerseys

I really liked the place, small basketball sized venue and great crowd. They know hoops, esp in those upper sections.
Great concessions. What other stadiums serve empanadas?

For sure hoping to hit another game this winter when were down there.
Maybe we can meet up!

Return to Chicago Bulls