Image ImageImage Image

Do the Bulls have the worst starting pointguard in the division?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,579

Re: Do the Bulls have the worst starting pointguard in the division? 

Post#41 » by Andi Obst » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:07 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Jrue became a top-15 player the last month of the season and into the olympics. I dunno if that’s sustainable; he hasn’t played at that level consistently.

Otherwise, seems like a wide open race. What have Cade and Garland/Sexton done? Brogdon is excellent but injury prone. Should be a nice fight.
Not even close to top 15, come on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last month of season; ie the ECF and finals. He stepped up and played well. Then was basically one of the best USA reps.

Still wouldn’t go as high as top 15 because the offense was too unreliable in the playoffs, but he’s definitely top 25 for me. Best perimeter defender in the game. Easily the best point guard in the division.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#42 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:58 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Jrue became a top-15 player the last month of the season and into the olympics. I dunno if that’s sustainable; he hasn’t played at that level consistently.

Otherwise, seems like a wide open race. What have Cade and Garland/Sexton done? Brogdon is excellent but injury prone. Should be a nice fight.

LMAO. This is ridiculous.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,462

Post#43 » by khufure » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:59 pm

coldfish wrote:
khufure wrote:
coldfish wrote:Is Lonzo a good player evaluated stand alone? No
Is he overpaid? Yes
Does he fit in really well with the team concept and other players? Yes

IMO given the skill he demonstrated last year he's barely overpaid at that level. So I have to ask how do you know he's overpaid? He hasn't even played a game on his new contract and is just 23 (24 next month). From what I have seen Ball is an extremely hard worker that improves every year. For me that is one of the most attractive parts of his game, very similar to Lavine in that way.

I am unable to predict the future, try as I might.

Most people are paid based on their current performance
14.6p 5.7a 4.8r 41.4%fg does not a $20m player make

Curated stats -- leaving out 3pt% or efg. I don't trust any defensive stats but it's also one of his strongest skills and should be mentioned.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,499

Post#44 » by coldfish » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:01 am

khufure wrote:
coldfish wrote:
khufure wrote:IMO given the skill he demonstrated last year he's barely overpaid at that level. So I have to ask how do you know he's overpaid? He hasn't even played a game on his new contract and is just 23 (24 next month). From what I have seen Ball is an extremely hard worker that improves every year. For me that is one of the most attractive parts of his game, very similar to Lavine in that way.

Curated stats -- leaving out 3pt% or efg. I don't trust any defensive stats but it's also one of his strongest skills and should be mentioned.

He had a 37.5% 3p.

I sincerely wish that he goes on to significantly improve and badly outplay his contract. That said, this is not the profile of a $20m+ player. He is overpaid, like I said.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,716

Post#45 » by Ctownbulls » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:34 am

MrSparkle wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:

Not even close to top 15, come on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last month of season; ie the ECF and finals. He stepped up and played well. Then was basically one of the best USA reps.

Sure, no doubt. And he might be the best PG in the division but he isn't even close to top 15 in the league.

Jokic, Lebron, Giannis, Harden, Curry, Doncic, Embiid, Durant, Lillard, Beal, Kyrie, Zion, Randle, Leonard, Trae, Lavine, Butler, Tatum, Mitchell, Davis

Those are 20 that are clearly better.

You can argue about 20 others also.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,822

Post#46 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:39 am

I’ll take ball over Sexton and Brogdan.

Ball is an elite defender, 3pt shooter and distributor and he’s 6’7. Only getting better too.
Go Raps!!
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#47 » by NatiboyB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am

1. Holiday
2. Brogdon
3. Garland
4. Ball
5. Sexton
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,379

Post#48 » by The Box Office » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:12 am

I easily, easily take Lonzo Ball over Sexton and Garland. All day.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Post#49 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:It depends on the metric of it. No one is going to say Lonzo Ball is the best PG out there and if he was we couldn’t have gotten him for the money we did. Fit wise Ball works with this squad imho, I would take him over Sexton. I would also take Garland over sexton though too and think the Cavs have made that their priority too. The point though is that Ball is better than Sato or White so we upgraded.

exactly, he might be the worst in our division (garland is the cavs starting pg is should make another leap this season), but he's better than several starting pg's in the league. pg is a stacked position, but lonzo has some rare attributes being 6'7" with the elite vision and good defense. also finally developed his 3 ball. so although he's in the bottom third? of pg's, he can make it to the top third. also his bro has a similar game and is already one of the best. his bro is better, but still
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#50 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm

coldfish wrote:
khufure wrote:
Is he overpaid? Yes

IMO given the skill he demonstrated last year he's barely overpaid at that level. So I have to ask how do you know he's overpaid? He hasn't even played a game on his new contract and is just 23 (24 next month). From what I have seen Ball is an extremely hard worker that improves every year. For me that is one of the most attractive parts of his game, very similar to Lavine in that way.

Zach wasn’t.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,193

Post#51 » by MrSparkle » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm

At the end of the day, the league has become PnR to an obsessive degree, and either you've got a guy who can shoot and pass, or you don't.

If he ends up being able to shoot around a Vuc screen, then he's gonna generate a lot of offense. Similarly with DeRozan. None of these guys are Curry, Luka or Jokic, but we've gone from amateur hour PnR to star level passers and poppers/rollers.

The skills Lonzo can potentially bring are invaluable. Good bit of gamble on the player overall and his contract. I'm skeptical of his handles. His vision is elite. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. He's in as good a position as possible to succeed, IMO. Star scoring C with 3P range, star SG who can catch any pass, vet mentor high IQ DDR, and an athletic small PF who can shoot... and a positive coach who likes to play fast, multiple guard line-ups.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by coldfish » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:13 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
coldfish wrote:
khufure wrote:IMO given the skill he demonstrated last year he's barely overpaid at that level. So I have to ask how do you know he's overpaid? He hasn't even played a game on his new contract and is just 23 (24 next month). From what I have seen Ball is an extremely hard worker that improves every year. For me that is one of the most attractive parts of his game, very similar to Lavine in that way.

Zach wasn’t.

Neither was Davis Bertans.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#53 » by coldfish » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:24 pm

General comment: Ball is generally considered to the the 4th best player. Maybe 5th if Pat takes off.

If your 4th or 5th best player is a Zach Lavine level guy, you should be working on expanding your trophy case.
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#54 » by IamSam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:48 pm

coldfish wrote:
khufure wrote:
Is he overpaid? Yes

I would argue that we see people paid for potential future performance a lot more than we realize. If you think about it, every time a new hire is on-boarded, or a manager is promoted to director with a pay increase, it is not known for sure that those individuals will be necessarily be successful, but companies/organizations bet that they will have a shot to be successful based on their education, other experiences, etc.

That having been said, I am definitely hopeful as a Bulls fan that Lonzo "grows" into his contract. :)
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,604

Post#55 » by dice » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:19 am

player impact plus-minus:

2.98 holiday (2.12o, 0.86d, 3 yr sample)
1.53 brogdon (1.53o, 0.00d, 3 yr sample)
0.60 lonzo (-0.24o, 0.84d, career)
-1.20 garland (-0.18o, -1.01d, last year only)
-1.61 sexton (0.73o, -2.34d, 2 yr sample)

looks about right to me. lonzo probably has a little upside left, which probably puts him about on par w/ brogdon for the coming season. garland obviously has significantly more upside, but will he make that jump to get up into the brogdon/ball convo this season? unlikely. and sexton is, of course, even more unlikely
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Chicago Bulls