Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: 2017-18 Season #4

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Re: Around the NBA: 2017-18 Season #4 

Post#501 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

sco wrote:
ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Then what do they do with Wiggins? It's already a really short rotation. Do you give more minutes to a 37-year-old Jamal Crawford?

Just from what I've noticed, B-R.com's "Position Played" (for lack of a better term) is basically just a guess, based on a player's listed position and size. For example:

Lauri - 82% PF, 18% C
Bobby - 49% PF, 51% C
Niko - 99% PF, 0% C (and 0% SF)

Obviously, whether Niko is on the floor with Portis or Markk, he's listed as the PF. Almost certainly, Bobby is the PF and Lauri the C when they are on the floor together, since we know Lauri plays nothing but PF with Lopez (and nothing but C with Niko), and that's who he shares most of his minutes with.

Whichever combo was out there, it's not like there was much difference at all saying who was the center. Generically, Lauri should be the PF and Bobby the C, since Lauri shoots more 3's. Who guarded the PF and who guarded the C is based on matchups with that night's opponent.

Nwaba has played 3% of his minutes at PG, I guess just because he's listed as a PG, and that gives him about 29-30 minutes at PG. He has been on the floor with Holiday/Valentine/2 bigs for 15 minutes, and almost certainly those 15 minutes would show Nwaba at PG on B-R.com, even though Denzel would be the de facto PG with those lineups on the floor.

But assuming he's out there with Holiday and Valentine for those "PG" minutes, Denzel is certainly the PG on offense. And Nwaba is guarding the best perimeter player on the other team, be it a PG, SG or SF.

The [url]old adage is that your position is who you guard on the other[/url], but that's going away more each year as more teams go to positionless basketball.

Back to Jimmy and Wiggins, Wiggins shoots more 3's, which generically would make him the SG on offense. Jimmy has many more assists, which generically would make him the SG on offense.

I'm assuming that during almost all of their shared minutes, Jimmy is guarding the opponent's best wing, whether said opponent is a SG or a SF.

Put Jamal out there with Jimmy or Wiggins and he's obviously the SG, as long as Tyus is on the floor.

But put him out there with Jimmy and Wiggins, and he seems to obviously be the PG, even though Jimmy gives MIN more assists. But I'm sure there have been lots of games that Jimmy guarded the PG when JB/JC/AW is their 1-2-3 combo.

That trio vs OKC, it's pretty safe to assume that Jimmy is guarding PG Westbrook and Jamal is guarding SG Roberson, since he has no offensive game to speak of.

I don't know if there's a point to all the crap I just typed, other than the NBA keeps going more positionless with each passing season. Guys who can play multiple positions on offense (and more importantly, can guard multiple positions on defense) are becoming more and more valuable all the time.

If the old adage is true - Nwaba is the best player on the team! :wink:

Hahahaha, very very true!!
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#502 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm

the ultimates wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:More Jimmy talk.
Advanced stats arent that kind to wiggins. Wiggins is playing the 3 and jimmy the 2 mostly.(According to bball reference play by play)

Wouldnt it help their team if jimmy was the sf? A stouter player to play the position vs struggling player wiggins.

Then what do they do with Wiggins? It's already a really short rotation. Do you give more minutes to a 37-year-old Jamal Crawford?

Basically just play wiggins at sg more vs sf.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#503 » by the ultimates » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Advanced stats arent that kind to wiggins. Wiggins is playing the 3 and jimmy the 2 mostly.(According to bball reference play by play)

Wouldnt it help their team if jimmy was the sf? A stouter player to play the position vs struggling player wiggins.

Wiggins efficiency and shooting don't get solved with a nominal position switch. He'll still play most of his minutes with Butler and Jimmy whether at small forward or shooting guard will still handle the ball more.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#504 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Just from what I've noticed, B-R.com's "Position Played" (for lack of a better term) is basically just a guess, based on a player's listed position and size. For example:

Lauri - 82% PF, 18% C
Bobby - 49% PF, 51% C

Obviously, whether Niko is on the floor with Portis or Markk, he's listed as the PF. Almost certainly, Bobby is the PF and Lauri the C when they are on the floor together, since we know Lauri plays nothing but PF with Lopez (and nothing but C with Niko), and that's who he shares most of his minutes with.

Whichever combo was out there, it's not like there was much difference at all saying who was the center. Generically, Lauri should be the PF and Bobby the C, since Lauri shoots more 3's. Who guarded the PF and who guarded the C is based on matchups with that night's opponent.

Nwaba has played 3% of his minutes at PG, I guess just because he's listed as a PG, and that gives him about 29-30 minutes at PG. He has been on the floor with Holiday/Valentine/2 bigs for 15 minutes, and almost certainly those 15 minutes would show Nwaba at PG on B-R.com, even though Denzel would be the de facto PG with those lineups on the floor.

But assuming he's out there with Holiday and Valentine for those "PG" minutes, Denzel is certainly the PG on offense. And Nwaba is guarding the best perimeter player on the other team, be it a PG, SG or SF.

The old adage is that your position is who you guard on the other, but that's going away more each year as more teams go to positionless basketball.

Back to Jimmy and Wiggins, Wiggins shoots more 3's, which generically would make him the SG on offense. Jimmy has many more assists, which generically would make him the SG on offense.

I'm assuming that during almost all of their shared minutes, Jimmy is guarding the opponent's best wing, whether said opponent is a SG or a SF.

Put Jamal out there with Jimmy or Wiggins and he's obviously the SG, as long as Tyus is on the floor.

But put him out there with Jimmy and Wiggins, and he seems to obviously be the PG, even though Jimmy gives MIN more assists. But I'm sure there have been lots of games that Jimmy guarded the PG when JB/JC/AW is their 1-2-3 combo.

That trio vs OKC, it's pretty safe to assume that Jimmy is guarding PG Westbrook and Jamal is guarding SG Roberson, since he has no offensive game to speak of.

I don't know if there's a point to all the crap I just typed, other than the NBA keeps going more positionless with each passing season. Guys who can play multiple positions on offense (and more importantly, can guard multiple positions on defense) are becoming more and more valuable all the time.

This isnt perfect but i think putting taj on roberson(a quiet offensive option) might be the way to go. Crawford isnt a stalwart defender on westbrook but jimmy basically has to defend the PF because of Melos mobility. Crawford vs Westbrook is point guard on pointguard and westbrook hasnt been efficient this year so i would take my chances.

Crawford /Westbrook
Wiggins /George
Butler/ Melo
Taj /Roberson
Towns /Adams

Edit: heck if taj is on roberson id have half a mind to have crawford stick melo.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,105

Post#505 » by MGB8 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

This is likely a misleading stat. Basketball reference generally sorts the "position" assigned to a player by height - so the taller wing is the SF and the shorter wing is SG (also an issue when a team has a clear SG but two combo forwards, absent a clear PF or a clear SF, the taller guy is listed as the PF and the shorter one as the SF).
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,376

Post#506 » by kodo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

I do believe Wiggins is a SF primarily.

In our game vs Minny, Butler & Lavine were guarding each other quite often.

Wiggins is also not handling the ball much. Last season Wiggins was definitely a guard more often than not creating his own shots, 40% assisted on non-threes. This year he's crossed over to being mostly assisted, 61% on non-threes. And it's trending upwards...in the half month of Feb games Wiggins was 77% assisted.

Also, when Wiggins is used by Thibs is non-Butler lineups, it's almost always with Teague (or some PG) and Crawford.

Butler being the SG instead of Wiggins isn't surprising. What is interesting is that even when Butler is out, Thibs would rather have Crawford in there as the SG.
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,573

Post#507 » by mj234eva » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Red8911 wrote:
rtblues wrote:Recently, Laura Ingraham of Fox News made some pretty horrid comments regarding Lebron James speaking his mind politically, which clearly indicate how Trump's racism has empowered other racists to speak freely. On a National News Network no less. Laura Ingraham is perhaps unaware that Lebron James is actively helping the youth in this country, donating huge sums of money in the process. http://moneyinc.com/lebron-james-five-humongous-charitable-donations/

I don't usually post anything political, and it's even a bit unusual to be defending the Bulls perennial nemesis, Lebron, but I do feel that the comments made by Ingraham land in our world and goes after one of ours in a most unfair, and openly racist manner.
Lastly, Ingraham was incorrect in saying about Lebron James "this is what happens when you leave high school a year early to join the NBA", um he didn't lady, he graduated high-school. Then she went after him for his recent comments, attacking the comments by saying that Lebron's comments were, "un-grammatical" and “barely intelligible”. Lady, STFU and fugh-off!

Sorry, for politicizing, but this pissed me off. In his entire career Lebron James has never been in trouble or involved in any type scandal. He is husband, father, and gives a lot of his money away to good causes that help young people. Oh, and Lebron James ISN'T being investigated by Robert Mueller, just sayin'...

Ingraham? She just runs her racist-ass mouth on FOX NEWS. That is all...
Why does it matter that lebron donates money to the youth? What does that have to do with him talking politics to the public? Don’t mix those two together.He along with a lot of rich people do this and they save on taxes,it’s not only from their good hearts. Also Lebron might be a good guy in general no one said anything about that,but again this has nothing to do with why she told him to “just dribble”.
Ingraham was actually right he should just focus on his job and what made him famous which is basketball. There’s no problem with him stating his opinion on who he supports but don’t over do it and go all political like he knows everything. He along with other athletes/ actors(who are loaded) should really stop,no one cares what they think since most can’t relate to everyday people.
Ingraham was wrong about the high school thing I agree with that,there was obviously a mistake there but racist how??? I’ve heard a lot of people say this and that is just ridiculous.

Lets not make things personal. Thanks - RB23
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#508 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 pm

kodo wrote:I do believe Wiggins is a SF primarily.

In our game vs Minny, Butler & Lavine were guarding each other quite often.

Wiggins is also not handling the ball much. Last season Wiggins was definitely a guard more often than not creating his own shots, 40% assisted on non-threes. This year he's crossed over to being mostly assisted, 61% on non-threes. And it's trending upwards...in the half month of Feb games Wiggins was 77% assisted.

Also, when Wiggins is used by Thibs is non-Butler lineups, it's almost always with Teague (or some PG) and Crawford.

Butler being the SG instead of Wiggins isn't surprising. What is interesting is that even when Butler is out, Thibs would rather have Crawford in there as the SG.

As opposed to who? Crawford cant play sf and the only other guy on the bench who can play sf minutes is shabazz muhammad and i dont think he gets a lot of run with thibs.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#509 » by rtblues » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Red8911 wrote:
rtblues wrote:Recently, Laura Ingraham of Fox News made some pretty horrid comments regarding Lebron James speaking his mind politically, which clearly indicate how Trump's racism has empowered other racists to speak freely. On a National News Network no less. Laura Ingraham is perhaps unaware that Lebron James is actively helping the youth in this country, donating huge sums of money in the process. http://moneyinc.com/lebron-james-five-humongous-charitable-donations/

I don't usually post anything political, and it's even a bit unusual to be defending the Bulls perennial nemesis, Lebron, but I do feel that the comments made by Ingraham land in our world and goes after one of ours in a most unfair, and openly racist manner.
Lastly, Ingraham was incorrect in saying about Lebron James "this is what happens when you leave high school a year early to join the NBA", um he didn't lady, he graduated high-school. Then she went after him for his recent comments, attacking the comments by saying that Lebron's comments were, "un-grammatical" and “barely intelligible”. Lady, STFU and fugh-off!

Sorry, for politicizing, but this pissed me off. In his entire career Lebron James has never been in trouble or involved in any type scandal. He is husband, father, and gives a lot of his money away to good causes that help young people. Oh, and Lebron James ISN'T being investigated by Robert Mueller, just sayin'...

Why does it matter that lebron donates money to the youth? What does that have to do with him talking politics to the public? Don’t mix those two together.He along with a lot of rich people do this and they save on taxes,it’s not only from their good hearts. Also Lebron might be a good guy in general no one said anything about that,but again this has nothing to do with why she told him to “just dribble”.
Ingraham was actually right he should just focus on his job and what made him famous which is basketball. There’s no problem with him stating his opinion on who he supports but don’t over do it and go all political like he knows everything. He along with other athletes/ actors(who are loaded) should really stop,no one cares what they think since most can’t relate to everyday people.
Ingraham was wrong about the high school thing I agree with that,there was obviously a mistake there but racist how??? I’ve heard a lot of people say this and that is just ridiculous.

I posted my opinion, now we know yours. I am not here to argue, or obligated to answer questions in any replies here.
Not going to get into a "thing". We can get back to hoops now. Hopefully.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#510 » by AKfanatic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Red8911 wrote:

What Laura Ingraham meant was “since your worldview is different than mine, shut up”. She and her fairly unbalanced cohorts have had zero problem with the Ted Nugents, Clint Eastwood’s, Joe Namath’s, Curt Schilling’s, and the list goes on and on, of the worlds appearing on her or other Fairly Unbalanced News shows to tow the line. She, and those of her ilk have pushed divisiveness for their entire careers.

“Shut up and dribble”, where was the “shut up and pitch” or “shut up and coach” when her network brought on Curt Schilling or Bobby Knight?

Without athletes and others who demand a spotlight more than common folks, many changes would not have taken place in this country for the better.

It’s easy to attack the messenger when you disagree with the message and have a viewership that happily consumes your hatefilled, downright racist messages. That doesn’t silence the message. It only amplifies one’s ignorance and in turn gives more power to both messenger that speaks against you and their message.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#511 » by Mech Engineer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

What Laura Ingraham meant was “since your worldview is different than mine, shut up”. She and her fairly unbalanced cohorts have had zero problem with the Ted Nugents, Clint Eastwood’s, Joe Namath’s, Curt Schilling’s, and the list goes on and on, of the worlds appearing on her or other Fairly Unbalanced News shows to tow the line. She, and those of her ilk have pushed divisiveness for their entire careers. They have no more right to state their obscene opinions than those that she wishes to take the right to speak away from.

“Shut up and dribble”, where was the “shut up and pitch” or “shut up and coach” when her network brought on Curt Schilling or Bobby Knight?

Without athletes and others who demand a spotlight more than common folks, many changes would not have taken place in this country for the better.

It’s easy to attack the messenger when you disagree with the message and have a viewership that happily consumes your hatefilled, downright racist messages. That doesn’t silence the message. It only amplifies one’s ignorance and in turn gives more power to both messenger that speaks against you and their message.

I don't want to get into the politics of all this. But, isn't the FOX news theory that most educated folks are liberals and they talk glowingly about business folks, people who became rich for their talent and who are not ultra-educated. And, that is LeBron in a sense. But, they don't like him now although he fits their prism of who needs to run this country.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#512 » by AKfanatic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Let’s be honest. If Lebron had come on and stated how much he loves Trump and how terrible Obama was, Laura would’ve been praising him.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#513 » by RememberLu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

What Laura Ingraham meant was “since your worldview is different than mine, shut up”. She and her fairly unbalanced cohorts have had zero problem with the Ted Nugents, Clint Eastwood’s, Joe Namath’s, Curt Schilling’s, and the list goes on and on, of the worlds appearing on her or other Fairly Unbalanced News shows to tow the line. She, and those of her ilk have pushed divisiveness for their entire careers.

You goddam right. It doesn't go deeper than Lebron being a liberal and attacking their precious god-emperor Trump.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,779

Post#514 » by Ice Man » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Let's not talk politics in this thread. Feel free to start an OT thread if you wish -- the topic is fine. But let's keep this one about basketball-related matters.

Thanks.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,243

Post#515 » by Red8911 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:01 am

This wasn't necessary for you to respond like that. Not to mention it was already handled. -RB23
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#516 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 am

Ice Man wrote:Let's not talk politics in this thread. Feel free to start an OT thread if you wish -- the topic is fine. But let's keep this one about basketball-related matters.

Thanks.

Better yet, take it to the current affairs board.

viewforum.php?f=69
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
TankForAyton
Junior
And1: 246

Post#517 » by TankForAyton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 am

bearadonisdna wrote:
ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Lauri - 82% PF, 18% C
Bobby - 49% PF, 51% C

The old adage is that your position is who you guard on the other, but that's going away more each year as more teams go to positionless basketball.

This isnt perfect but i think putting taj on roberson(a quiet offensive option) might be the way to go. Crawford isnt a stalwart defender on westbrook but jimmy basically has to defend the PF because of Melos mobility. Crawford vs Westbrook is point guard on pointguard and westbrook hasnt been efficient this year so i would take my chances.

Crawford /Westbrook
Wiggins /George
Butler/ Melo
Taj /Roberson
Towns /Adams

Edit: heck if taj is on roberson id have half a mind to have crawford stick melo.

Roberson is done for the year and has been out a while..
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,895

Post#518 » by DuckIII » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 am

RememberLu wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Why does it matter that lebron donates money to the youth? What does that have to do with him talking politics to the public? Don’t mix those two together.He along with a lot of rich people do this and they save on taxes,it’s not only from their good hearts. Also Lebron might be a good guy in general no one said anything about that,but again this has nothing to do with why she told him to “just dribble”.

You goddam right. It doesn't go deeper than Lebron being a liberal and attacking their precious god-emperor Trump.

It does go deeper, actually. Where is her condemnation of Pop and Kerr who both absolutely dismantled Trump? Why KD and LeBron but not them?

Hint: it’s not ageism.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#519 » by RememberLu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm

DuckIII wrote:
RememberLu wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

It does go deeper, actually. Where is her condemnation of Pop and Kerr who both absolutely dismantled Trump? Why KD and LeBron but not them?

you goddam right
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,243

Post#520 » by Red8911 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 pm

DuckIII wrote:
RememberLu wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

Oh cmon guys are you serious lol. You think lebron and KD are the first black guys to publicly criticize trump? As a matter of fact many(liberal)races have been attacking him since day one. You want her to point out every single famous person who said something negative about trump? It’s just too many,look at what’s going on in the media everyday they find a new way to bash trump.She has done it plenty of times though including white people as well not just lebron. Dont make this a race thing.Pop and Kerr aren’t really known as much, lebron and KD are the faces of the nba.

Return to Chicago Bulls