Image ImageImage Image

I don't understand why some fans here hate Wade so much

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,634

Re: I don't understand why some fans here hate Wade so much 

Post#61 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 am

Dan Z wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Tweets like this also don't help make him more likable.

Read on Twitter

Okay, for one he's right. And secondly he acknowledged that he is fading and being petty. Lighten up. My goodness.

He's not right. Tim Hardaway Jr. is 25, had a better season than Wade, and just got 70 million from the Knicks (which most people think is a big time overpay).

I get that he's half joking in his tweet, but again it doesn't make him more likable to post stuff like that.

It was an exaggeration for sure. But the point in of itself is still pretty on point. And I'd argue that Hardaway's season was about on par at best. There's a reason ATL didn't match.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#62 » by Dan Z » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:36 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:.

I get that he's half joking in his tweet, but again it doesn't make him more likable to post stuff like that.

It was an exaggeration for sure. But the point in of itself is still pretty on point. And I'd argue that Hardaway's season was about on par at best. There's a reason ATL didn't match.

Yes and 70 Million is much different than 150 Million.

My point is that Wade has done/said things that don't exactly make him likable, especially to Bulls fans.

I didn't like the signing when it happened and he didn't do anything that changed my mind about that. I don't hate him, but will be glad to move on.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#63 » by BigUps » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 am

I'd like Wade a lot more if he wasn't so into himself. Its that simple to me. He's way into being "Wade".
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,515

Post#64 » by ImSlower » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 am

At the time, I interpreted the hashtags as a sarcastic response to the loads of us that say he was and is fading. That we are wrong for the fading label, and just being petty. Hence, his bragging on scoring (no mention of his atrocious defense).

I suppose he could have been showing his vulnerability as being petty over his slow regression, my personal bias against him just assumed he was being cocky.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#65 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:16 am

ImSlower wrote:At the time, I interpreted the hashtags as a sarcastic response to the loads of us that say he was and is fading. That we are wrong for the fading label, and just being petty. Hence, his bragging on scoring (no mention of his atrocious defense).

I suppose he could have been showing his vulnerability as being petty over his slow regression, my personal bias against him just assumed he was being cocky.

I have to go with your interpretation over the Wade being self-deprecating one. In fact, the notion of Wade being self-deprecating is almost laughable.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#66 » by Axxo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:30 am

BigUps wrote:I'd like Wade a lot more if he wasn't so into himself. Its that simple to me. He's way into being "Wade".

I can understand why tho being married to Gabriel Union...
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#67 » by JordansBulls » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 am

RememberLu wrote:He's a flopper
He kicked our ass every year
He conspired against us in 2010 FA

What other reasons do we need

A lot those above aren't reasons to hate him.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
tiffac
Starter
And1: 699

Post#68 » by tiffac » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:47 am

We hate all our players equally. Get rid of one and we move on to the next xD
Manners Maketh Man
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#69 » by JeremyB0001 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Dan Z wrote:It was an exaggeration for sure. But the point in of itself is still pretty on point. And I'd argue that Hardaway's season was about on par at best. There's a reason ATL didn't match.

My point is that Wade has done/said things that don't exactly make him likable, especially to Bulls fans.

I didn't like the signing when it happened and he didn't do anything that changed my mind about that. I don't hate him, but will be glad to move on.

Thankfully, the tweet is somewhat tongue in cheek. But all jokes have to be based on a truthful premise and I think the premise here is that Wade believes he's still a very good scorer. That's troubling because he's not a good scorer at this point in his career. Last year, his scoring efficiency was 72nd out of 78 players who shot as much as him. He probably doesn't realize that his field goal percentage is a poor barometer of his shooting efficiency because he doesn't shoot threes much and his free-throw rate is barely half what it was in his prime. A player who incorrectly believes that he's a good scorer is bad news because he's going to shoot way more than he should. Wade's chucking cost the Bulls wins last season and it could have ill effects on the development of the young players this season; at least it will help with the tank, I guess.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#70 » by Dan Z » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:27 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:

Thankfully, the tweet is somewhat tongue in cheek. But all jokes have to be based on a truthful premise and I think the premise here is that Wade believes he's still a very good scorer. That's troubling because he's not a good scorer at this point in his career. Last year, his scoring efficiency was 72nd out of 78 players who shot as much as him. He probably doesn't realize that his field goal percentage is a poor barometer of his shooting efficiency because he doesn't shoot threes much and his free-throw rate is barely half what it was in his prime. A player who incorrectly believes that he's a good scorer is bad news because he's going to shoot way more than he should. Wade's chucking cost the Bulls wins last season and it could have ill effects on the development of the young players this season; at least it will help with the tank, I guess.

Also, there's his defense (or lack of defense). I still think Wade can be effective in a smaller role, but I'm not sure if he'd be willing to do that.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,333

Post#71 » by Stratmaster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Okay, for one he's right. And secondly he acknowledged that he is fading and being petty. Lighten up. My goodness.

He's not right. Tim Hardaway Jr. is 25, had a better season than Wade, and just got 70 million from the Knicks (which most people think is a big time overpay).

Wade is ridiculing those who say he is fading and saying they are being petty towards him, not admitting anything. Geesh.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#72 » by SimonFish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 pm

see my sig
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,050

Post#73 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Dan Z wrote:
JeremyB0001 wrote:
miula wrote:

I don't hate Wade. I just think that, at this point in his career, he's a frustrating basketball player who's not very good. He has poor shooting efficiency, he shoots way too much, he bogs down the offense by going one-on-one, he doesn't play defense, and he argues with the refs rather than running in transition.

Tweets like this also don't help make him more likable.

Read on Twitter

He isn't entirely wrong in terms of this quote, but the context makes it irrelevant. If he was doing that at 25, the theory would be that he would improve further, maybe by a good amount. He'd also be in his prime the entire time of that next contract.

I don't know that he'd get a max for that performance, but people are talking about LaVine likely getting a max contract, and if you were to compare Wade to Lavine last year, I'm not sure you comfortably say Lavine is so much better (ignoring age and everything else).

That said, the context makes this quote just seem out of touch. He is a lot worse than he was. He does have serious flaws. The odds are those flaws are going to be exacerbated even more this season than the year before and the one after and after getting worse still.

Granted, him mocking those saying he's fading is kind of silly. He IS fading. Those numbers are a lot worse than his numbers of the past. They aren't even close. He was a great player, maybe an all time great, and so he can fade and still be pretty good.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#74 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 pm

I have to admit that sometimes I feel uneasy about seeing Wade in a Bulls jersey, especially after how he criticized the organization in 2010. However, by most accounts, he is a great guy and a great teammate. He cares a great deal about his community and he is one of the most charitable players in the league. I also like the fact that he has taken Antonio Blakeney under his wings since he signed with the Bulls. It's a shame that we got him about five years too late.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#75 » by JeremyB0001 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:57 am

dougthonus wrote:He isn't entirely wrong in terms of this quote, but the context makes it irrelevant. If he was doing that at 25, the theory would be that he would improve further, maybe by a good amount. He'd also be in his prime the entire time of that next contract.

I don't know that he'd get a max for that performance, but people are talking about LaVine likely getting a max contract, and if you were to compare Wade to Lavine last year, I'm not sure you comfortably say Lavine is so much better (ignoring age and everything else).

Three players around age 25 who were similar to Wade last season strictly in terms of scoring were Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, and Dion Waiters. Those players aren't viewed very highly or as having a lot of potential. They're viewed more so as chuckers, which is how I'd describe Wade's scoring last season. Waiters just got resigned for four years, $13 million, which feels like it's an overpay along with the most of Miami's off-season moves. Yet, he'll still make less than half what Wade will this season. (Though, admittedly, the difference in their ages show up more in the lengths of their contracts than the average salary.)

It's hard to compare Wade's scoring to Lavine's because they're very different kinds of scorers at this stage of their careers. Wade is an inefficient volume scorer, whereas Lavine is quite efficient but shoots less. He's more like Tim Hardaway, Patty Mills, or Goran Dragic with his scoring.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: I don't understand why some fans here hate Wade so much 

Post#76 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:41 am

BigUps wrote:I'd like Wade a lot more if he wasn't so into himself. Its that simple to me. He's way into being "Wade".

I mean, if you made close to $200 million in your career, won three championships, married Gabrielle Union and became one of the best shooting guards ever, I'm sure you'd be very humble about it.
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#77 » by Alcatraz17 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:56 am

I cant believe this thread has hit 4 pages....

Season cant start soon enough!
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Re: RE: Re: I don't understand why some fans here hate Wade so much 

Post#78 » by BigUps » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

I mean, if you made close to $200 million in your career, won three championships, married Gabrielle Union and became one of the best shooting guards ever, I'm sure you'd be very humble about it.

That's correct, I would be as humble as I could. There are plenty of all time greats in every sport who are still humble about their greatness.
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#79 » by robert76 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:54 pm

SimonFish wrote:see my sig

That's exactly what did it for me. I wouldn't say I hate him, I don't know the guy and he didn't do anything to me, but I strongly dislike him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,050

Post#80 » by dougthonus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:Three players around age 25 who were similar to Wade last season strictly in terms of scoring were Reggie Jackson, Brandon Knight, and Dion Waiters. Those players aren't viewed very highly or as having a lot of potential. They're viewed more so as chuckers, which is how I'd describe Wade's scoring last season. Waiters just got resigned for four years, $13 million, which feels like it's an overpay along with the most of Miami's off-season moves. Yet, he'll still make less than half what Wade will this season. (Though, admittedly, the difference in their ages show up more in the lengths of their contracts than the average salary.)

It's hard to compare Wade's scoring to Lavine's because they're very different kinds of scorers at this stage of their careers. Wade is an inefficient volume scorer, whereas Lavine is quite efficient but shoots less. He's more like Tim Hardaway, Patty Mills, or Goran Dragic with his scoring.

That's a pretty poor list of comparisons. Those 3 all scored a good bit less than Wade in total and all had significantly lower PERs (12-14s instead of 18).

I created a query that picks PER/scoring range within a couple points of Wade.

I limited it to guards and looked at hte last 2 years. It's a list of mostly middle class NBA players. John Wall and Kyrie Irving are both on it though, but clearly are much better in impact than Wade. Looks to me like if Wade was 25 and had his same stats with thoughts of improvement that he'd probably be a 60-120M player.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls