Image ImageImage Image

Resign Demar?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , Michael Jackson, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, fleet

What sort of deal would you like to see Demar back on?

Don't want him back even for no return
43%
Don't want him back if we can get a rotation-level asset or better in return
30%
Want him back, but only for less than $30M/yr
19%
Want him back and willing to go up to $40M/yr
7%

Total votes: 67

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 11,104

Re: Resign Demar? 

Post#61 » by TheSuzerain » Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm

Rose2Boozer wrote:I'd gladly sign and trade DDR to the Lakers for Rui Hachimura, Gabe Vincent, and Maxwell Lewis. It's not much of a return, but sending DDR home could lead to good basketball karma. The Bulls organization definitely needs it.

No. Stop doing favors for players.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,389

Post#62 » by The Box Office » Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm

Thank the Higher Power that any of you who voted "Don't want him back even for no return" are NOT the GM of any sports team. That's not the way of doing business. That choice is not even applicable for "basketball reasons."

Look at Jerry Krause and Reinsdorf and how they handled Dynasty Bulls.
Look at how Derrick Rose handled the LeBron James 2010 Sweepstakes. Even though LeBron James had no intentions of joining us back then, Rose should have been nice and complimentary anyway.

We can't afford to make enemies around the NBA. No one would want to be in a Chicago Bulls uniform even when we draft them.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,808

Post#63 » by kodo » Sun May 19, 2024 6:02 pm

I seriously doubt LA wants Demar. Another guy to take the ball out of Lebron & AD's hands? Lebron (63% TS), Reaves (61% TS), and AD (62% TS) all score are all better scorers than Demar who is just league average (58% TS).

LA's offensive issues are clearly when defenses focus on Lebron & AD, they make the right pass, and the supporting shooters just can't make a 3. They're 28th in 3PA. In the playoffs they shot under 30% from 3. They lost by 2 points in the elimination game while DLo went 2-10, Prince went 0-3, and Vincent 0-2. Their shooters went 2-15 from 3.

LA would be insane to do anything other than get as much 3P help as possible...and that's the opposite of Demar.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,857

Post#64 » by dougthonus » Sun May 19, 2024 6:16 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:I'd gladly sign and trade DDR to the Lakers for Rui Hachimura, Gabe Vincent, and Maxwell Lewis. It's not much of a return, but sending DDR home could lead to good basketball karma. The Bulls organization definitely needs it.

I agree with "Stop doing favors for players", but I would do this trade anyway.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,857

Post#65 » by dougthonus » Sun May 19, 2024 6:19 pm

The Box Office wrote:Thank the Higher Power that any of you who voted "Don't want him back even for no return" are NOT the GM of any sports team. That's not the way of doing business. That choice is not even applicable for "basketball reasons."

Look at how Derrick Rose handled the LeBron James 2010 Sweepstakes. Even though LeBron James had no intentions of joining us back then, Rose should have been nice and complimentary anyway.

We can't afford to make enemies around the NBA. No one would want to be in a Chicago Bulls uniform even when we draft them.

The assertion that the Bulls can't opt to let DeMar go (or any player) without turning them into an enemy is ridiculous.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,276

Post#66 » by MGB8 » Sun May 19, 2024 6:24 pm

I can’t answer the poll, because it goes to what the goals of the team are, the constraints ownership has placed and whether the focus is short term or long term.

Based on what I know, that remaining marginally competitive is the goal with zero willingness to start a tougher rebuild - you almost have to keep DeMar.

But I would prefer pivoting more into a more future focused rebuild, where DDR improving the team by 3-5 to even 10 wins next season (over no DDR) is of no benefit - which would mean getting the best assets you can in return.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,646

Post#67 » by Dan Z » Sun May 19, 2024 6:43 pm

prolific passer wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Package him with the Portland pick and you can have gotten a few players out of him if you find the right team to do so.

At his age, and style of play, I bet there's a limit to what he could return in a trade. Plus, anything they get back wouldn't be as valuable as he's been to the Bulls (if you want to stay competitive which is what AK wants to do).

I agree that that they should've moved in a different direction and got assets for him. Zach too.

There is and that is why I was bringing up the wizards the last few years as they have some nice players who can help the bulls but that's all the past now. Bulls are stuck in limbo due to not doing much and who knows if they will be able to get out of it with the current front office.

My concern is that the front office doesn't want to get out of the "limbo" they're in. Of course they want to do better, but my impression is that AK will keep doubling down on the same plan he's had for the last few years.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#68 » by prolific passer » Sun May 19, 2024 6:48 pm

Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
At his age, and style of play, I bet there's a limit to what he could return in a trade. Plus, anything they get back wouldn't be as valuable as he's been to the Bulls (if you want to stay competitive which is what AK wants to do).

I agree that that they should've moved in a different direction and got assets for him. Zach too.

There is and that is why I was bringing up the wizards the last few years as they have some nice players who can help the bulls but that's all the past now. Bulls are stuck in limbo due to not doing much and who knows if they will be able to get out of it with the current front office.

My concern is that the front office doesn't want to get out of the "limbo" they're in. Of course they want to do better, but my impression is that AK will keep doubling down on the same plan he's had for the last few years.

More than likely. Mediocrity ftw.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,861

Post#69 » by DuckIII » Sun May 19, 2024 7:40 pm

dougthonus wrote:
The Box Office wrote:Thank the Higher Power that any of you who voted "Don't want him back even for no return" are NOT the GM of any sports team. That's not the way of doing business. That choice is not even applicable for "basketball reasons."

The assertion that the Bulls can't opt to let DeMar go (or any player) without turning them into an enemy is ridiculous.

I could imagine a wide array of scenarios in which we trade DDR “for no return” that DDR would be downright delighted with. And doing something like that for a popular player’s player like DDR would actually build good will around the league for the FO.

It’s not a reason to pass on a value trade, but it’s certainly not an inherent negative for player relations at all. Would depend entirely on the particulars.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,363

Post#70 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 21, 2024 1:27 am

dougthonus wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

I thought the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,371

Post#71 » by MrSparkle » Tue May 21, 2024 1:46 am

Bounced the idea back and forth a lot, but at the end of the day.... I like Demar a lot, he's been good for the young guys and some fun clutch wins, but another year of watching him on 30% usage while being our primary PF with Vuc as C sounds extremely painful and more than anything, pointless and fruitless. If he takes the 80/2, that contract is untradeable besides for some hopeful tank job agreeing to send their damaged goods washed star for a more expiring contract. No contender is adding 40m of salary to their books and luxury tax on a guy who can't defend or shoot 3Ps.

Unfortunately that offers out, and it's doubtful somebody trumps a 40m salary offer. I think Detroit is the only tangible suitor, or maybe somebody executes a S&T, but I can't imagine he gets more than 2y. Pretty scared that something crazy might happen (AK gives up more to get chronically injured George or Kawhi on albatross $50M salary).
jnrjr79
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,783

Post#72 » by jnrjr79 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm

dougthonus wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

I don't really understand the rationale against this DeMar trade or any other that nets you useful stuff in return. You have three options: extend for big money, let him walk for nothing, or S&T him to a desired location for useful long-term stuff. Option #3 seems pretty obviously best!
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 11,104

Post#73 » by TheSuzerain » Tue May 21, 2024 4:28 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:No. Stop doing favors for players.

I don't really understand the rationale against this DeMar trade or any other that nets you useful stuff in return. You have three options: extend for big money, let him walk for nothing, or S&T him to a desired location for useful long-term stuff. Option #3 seems pretty obviously best!

I guess I may not be giving Rui enough credit as an asset. But I was questioning how useful the Lakers stuff was we would get back. Seems like mostly chaff.
jnrjr79
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,783

Post#74 » by jnrjr79 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I guess I may not be giving Rui enough credit as an asset. But I was questioning how useful the Lakers stuff was we would get back. Seems like mostly chaff.

Oh, I agree. It's nothing special. I'm only down for it in an "better than nothing" way. I have a hard time figuring out exactly how much of a S&T market there will be for DeMar given his anachronistic play style and age.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,646

Post#75 » by Dan Z » Wed May 22, 2024 2:20 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Oh, I agree. It's nothing special. I'm only down for it in an "better than nothing" way. I have a hard time figuring out exactly how much of a S&T market there will be for DeMar given his anachronistic play style and age.

Rui might be okay because I still think he has potential, but if a S&T with the Lakers includes someone like Gabe Vincent then that's not good. I'd rather not get back a negative asset unless the Bulls get picks for doing so.

Return to Chicago Bulls