Image ImageImage Image

Bulls swapping assistant coaches: Update Wes Unseld Jr new top assistant

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,466

Re: Bulls swapping assistant coaches: Update Wes Unseld Jr new top assistant 

Post#61 » by LateNight » Mon May 20, 2024 1:13 am

I’m actually really impressed by those hires. Both of those guys were sought after head coaching candidates in the last couple years
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,876

Post#62 » by kulaz3000 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 am

kyrv wrote:Generally, as JVG explained many times, assistants, if they aren't in charge of something specific like off, def, or teaching a high pick, just don't move the needle.

But another exception is when a guy is clearly next up under a HC that has not been great.

These two hires were sort after for HC positions, with Wes having had that opportunity. I don't fault him for his failures with the Wizards, because that entire franchise is a mess top to bottom.

That said, Billy is still the head coach, so you're not entirely wrong, in that they will always have a cap in the sense of how much of an impact they can truly make on the team, beyond play development, or if Billy allows either of them to run the defense or offense during the games
Why so serious?
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,780

Post#63 » by kyrv » Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
kyrv wrote:Generally, as JVG explained many times, assistants, if they aren't in charge of something specific like off, def, or teaching a high pick, just don't move the needle.

But another exception is when a guy is clearly next up under a HC that has not been great.

These two hires were sort after for HC positions, with Wes having had that opportunity. I don't fault him for his failures with the Wizards, because that entire franchise is a mess top to bottom.

That said, Billy is still the head coach, so you're not entirely wrong, in that they will always have a cap in the sense of how much of an impact they can truly make on the team, beyond play development, or if Billy allows either of them to run the defense or offense during the games

I actually wasn't meaning to poo poo the hire, he has an excellent resume for an assistant.

Just as others have said, assistants probably not where we would go first to improve the roster.

I agree with you on Washington, again nothing against Unseld Jr, very solid hire imo.
Bill Walton wrote: Keep the music playing.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,931

Post#64 » by RSP83 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:41 pm

If I'm not wrong, Billy's contract initially run until 2024. But it has been extended midway in 2022 for undisclosed number of years (the secret extension reported for "several more years"). I'm absolutely positively sure one of these 2 assistants will eventually replace Billy. Billy definitely not interested in returning beyond his current contract. Hence why these 2 assistants are brought in. They're also insurance if things go way south early next year and Billy must be fired, one of these 2 will become interim head coach.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,536

Post#65 » by jnrjr79 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm

RSP83 wrote:If I'm not wrong, Billy's contract initially run until 2024. But it has been extended midway in 2022 for undisclosed number of years (the secret extension reported for "several more years"). I'm absolutely positively sure one of these 2 assistants will eventually replace Billy. Billy definitely not interested in returning beyond his current contract. Hence why these 2 assistants are brought in. They're also insurance if things go way south early next year and Billy must be fired, one of these 2 will become interim head coach.

It seems hard to say whether Billy really wants to be around here or not. He reportedly was not interested in the Kentucky job, so at a minimum he seems to want to be in the NBA. He left OKC supposedly because he didn't want to go through a rebuild (oops!) and a rebuild seems inevitable here within the next couple of seasons, so I could see him honoring the rest of his contract and moving on. I wonder whether his contract is aligned with Vooch's and potentially DeRozan if the Bulls can get him to agree to 2 seasons.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,466

Post#66 » by LateNight » Tue May 21, 2024 11:02 pm

Could this be prep for Marc Eversley leaving, Billy going to front office?

Edit: just listened to CHGO from Monday - apparently this is a growing theory

Return to Chicago Bulls