Image ImageImage Image

KC Johnson: Bulls Coaching Decision Imminent

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#61 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:34 pm

The ROY wrote:Thibo's defensive schemes are some of the best I've ever seen.

I'm praying something is going on behind the scenes with this guy. He's the best candidate PERIOD.

Kind of hard to hire the guy, when he's on the bench for a team in the NBA Finals.

I'm hoping it's Casey.
The ROY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#62 » by The ROY » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:39 pm

So why not wait for Thibodeau? "It's come down to someone willing to take a chance. And when they do, it will be a home run," said ABC analyst Jeff Van Gundy, who never has been on Paxson's radar but had Thibodeau as an assistant in Houston. "He's an unbelievable basketball coach."

I know he's just speaking in general, but it just SOUNDS as if this is ment for us....

I'm HOPING for Thibodeau
Johnston797
Analyst
And1: 14

Post#63 » by Johnston797 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:42 pm

I heard a rumor that Pax and Vinny went to the park. Split some 12 year olds into 2 teams and Vinny's coaching led to a 2-1 victory over Pax. So Pax has this data point, too.
Tankathon is my 2nd home!
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#64 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:46 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Phoenix poster reports that while Del Negro is an assistant to the GM, he is not the top assistant. That makes his candidacy even more bizarre.

The guy who knows him best - Kerr - did not hire him for Phoenix job

Yes, but the Bulls and the Suns are in two very different situations.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#65 » by TB#1 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:53 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 9807.story

On April 17, the day he fired Jim Boylan, general manager John Paxson said he preferred but wouldn't mandate previous coaching experience for his hire as the next Bulls coach.

Weighing that very issue will come into play as, barring a surprise, Paxson will offer the job to former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey or Suns assistant general manager Vinny Del Negro.

Those two, plus a longer shot in Kings assistant coach Chuck Person, expected to know Paxson's decision late Sunday or sometime Monday.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,086
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#66 » by Clint Eastwood » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:55 pm

Bulls1983 wrote:If it is Del Negro i would be really pissed, come on, if he was anything extraordinary Kerr would given him a shot, let alone a interview, something that by all reports didnt happened...

actually kerr did interview him. it was implied by kerr that he was a great candidate, but he wanted to hire someone who had some prior head coaching experience, especially to gain the respect of oneal.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#67 » by TB#1 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:57 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketba ... 09.article

The Bulls plan to name either Dwayne Casey, Vinny Del Negro or Chuck Person as their next coach, with the announcement expected this week, a source said Sunday.

With a coaching staff finally in place after a search of more than seven weeks, the Bulls also are expected to announce soon the scheduled visits of Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley. Both are under consideration for selection with the first pick in the draft June 26, and both will make two-day visits beginning next week.

Whichever of the three coaching finalists gets the nod, he will be the team's third choice to fill the vacancy created April 17, when general manager John Paxson announced interim coach Jim Boylan would not be back.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,424

Post#68 » by coldfish » Mon Jun 9, 2008 1:58 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes, but the Bulls and the Suns are in two very different situations.

I have no idea what type of situation could possibly justify hiring a guy with no coaching experience whatsoever, other than tanking really hard. When I read the "no coaching experience" comment before, I assumed it meant no head coaching experience.

Hiring Del Negro could be a worse hire than Floyd. It could be great too, but it sure is a long shot.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,662
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#69 » by waffle » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:01 pm

I am just not all that excited by the finalists.

I would rather take a flyer on someone, give them a series of one year contracts and see what they can do.

Casey sure sounds Boylan-ish.

Person? The Rifleman? Who knows?

My faves have always been JVG (not available it seems) and oddly, Mark Jackson.

At this point I'd be tempted to bring in pip and have him coach for $1 and let him know that if we aren't .500 by allstar he should go back to commenting.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#70 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:04 pm

coldfish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I have no idea what type of situation could possibly justify hiring a guy with no coaching experience whatsoever, other than tanking really hard. When I read the "no coaching experience" comment before, I assumed it meant no head coaching experience.

Hiring Del Negro could be a worse hire than Floyd. It could be great too, but it sure is a long shot.

RIGHT!! Del Negro apparently has no coaching experience of any kind - not even as an assistant. Person has no head coaching experience but has been an assistant for a few years. Casey has the most experience of these 3.

I am still on Thibo bandwagon - and would be OK with a Casey choice. No way do I want the other two (except as assistant coaches)
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Doofer
Lead Assistant
And1: 49

Post#71 » by Doofer » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:07 pm

I would rather take a flyer on someone, give them a series of one year contracts and see what they can do.

I'd take a one year contract.......

But I can't think of a reason that a real prospective coach would...

How about you?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,424

Post#72 » by coldfish » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:11 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

RIGHT!! Del Negro apparently has no coaching experience of any kind - not even as an assistant. Person has no head coaching experience but has been an assistant for a few years. Casey has the most experience of these 3.

I am still on Thibo bandwagon - and would be OK with a Casey choice. No way do I want the other two (except as assistant coaches)

+1.

Here is how I think Del Negro got in:
Paxson: "Hello Vinny. I see you have no coaching experience. Could you tell me about yourself and how you would coach?"
Del Negro: "Let's just cut to the chase. Do you really care? Here is the deal: I will work for real, real cheap. 1 year $20,000. I don't even need health insurance."
Paxson: "Congratulations. You are a finalists."
Del Negro: "Any other questions?"
Paxson: "No, that does it. Everything else is secondary."
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#73 » by Sonny_D1 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:13 pm

Hah, I can just see the game threads next year when Casey is hired:

"WTF is he doing? Why isn't BG out there? This guy is terrible!!!"
"Our rotations absolutely suck! I can't stand this anymore."
"Bring back Boylan!"
"Pax should be fired. He had 6 months to hire a coach and this is who he got for us?"
"I'm on the Fire Pax Bandwagon too."
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#74 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:14 pm

Christ almighty.

As if one year of sitting on the bench and tracking fouls would have given him some greater insight and given Pax more to evaluate.

I don't like Del Negro - but thats because of what I thought of him as a player.

But if he came into the interview, with a knowledge of our roster, a way to play, and a "philosophy" of coaching that was better than all of the other candidates - then I don't care if he was sweeping the floors last month. Hire him.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#75 » by TB#1 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:18 pm

Sonny_D1 wrote:Hah, I can just see the game threads next year when [fill in blank with whoever is hired: it doesn't matter] is hired:

"WTF is he doing? Why isn't BG out there? This guy is terrible!!!"
"Our rotations absolutely suck! I can't stand this anymore."
"Bring back Boylan!"
"Pax should be fired. He had 6 months to hire a coach and this is who he got for us?"
"I'm on the Fire Pax Bandwagon too."

fixed.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#76 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:18 pm

This is the way I see it, taking out Collins/D'Antoni out of Mark Jackson, Casey,Dunlap,Hornacek,Corbin,Rambis,Shaw, Avery and who ever else I'm leaving out, if Vinny with no experience is in the top 3, IMO that's pretty impressive and shows promise with the guy.

Now unless you feel paxson is truly and I mean truly a complete moron, you gotta roll with it.

I would've never expected Vinny, but Paxson has interviewed plenty and has more info then all of us put together. We can get some good veteran Asst on this team. Also we should make the playoffs with any coach next yr, it's ablout what will happen 3 yrs from now, not next year
Bull Shak
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#77 » by Bull Shak » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:20 pm

Person would be my choice out of the three supposive finalists.

Hopefully something comes out of left field, and either this thing falls apart and we hire Thibo, or JVG, Avery, or Mark Jackson.

There were 9 good-great candidates available, and we are going to end up with one of these clowns? This coaching search will end up as a disaster...D'Antoni, Avery, Carlisle, Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy we had the 5 of the best coaches of recent history all available, and will end up with none of them? You have to be kidding me. We had the guy that engineered the top defense in the NBA available, and we're not going to hire him? We have a guy who successfully coached the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and won a playoff series available, and we're not going to hire him for a guy with no coaching experience or a guy who failed as a head coach before? Come on.
http://www.dabullz.com home to the Bulls' encyclopedia.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#78 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:20 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Christ almighty.

As if one year of sitting on the bench and tracking fouls would have given him some greater insight and given Pax more to evaluate.

I don't like Del Negro - but thats because of what I thought of him as a player.

But if he came into the interview, with a knowledge of our roster, a way to play, and a "philosophy" of coaching that was better than all of the other candidates - then I don't care if he was sweeping the floors last month. Hire him.

Excellent post, it's true. All that matters is what you just wrote.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#79 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:21 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:This is the way I see it, taking out Collins/D'Antoni out of Mark Jackson, Casey,Dunlap,Hornacek,Corbin,Rambis,Shaw, Avery and who ever else I'm leaving out, if Vinny with no experience is in the top 3, IMO that's pretty impressive and shows promise with the guy.

Now unless you feel paxson is truly and I mean truly a complete moron, you gotta roll with it.

I would've never expected Vinny, but Paxson has interviewed plenty and has more info then all of us put together. We can get some good veteran Asst on this team. Also we should make the playoffs with any coach next yr, it's ablout what will happen 3 yrs from now, not next year

Thanks for summing up what I was thinking.

If Vinny is the top candidate, I hope it speaks to the quality of Vinny's abilities and vision. Rather than to what is lacking in the other candidates - but only Pax knows.
Bulls1983
Rookie
And1: 75

Post#80 » by Bulls1983 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:24 pm

Bull Shak wrote:Person would be my choice out of the three supposive finalists.

Hopefully something comes out of left field, and either this thing falls apart and we hire Thibo, or JVG, Avery, or Mark Jackson.

There were 9 good-great candidates available, and we are going to end up with one of these clowns? This coaching search will end up as a disaster...D'Antoni, Avery, Carlisle, Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy we had the 5 of the best coaches of recent history all available, and will end up with none of them? You have to be kidding me. We had the guy that engineered the top defense in the NBA available, and we're not going to hire him? We have a guy who successfully coached the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and won a playoff series available, and we're not going to hire him for a guy with no coaching experience or a guy who failed as a head coach before? Come on.

You can

Return to Chicago Bulls