Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition Pick #11

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

keobulls
Junior
And1: 171

Re: 2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition Pick #11 

Post#701 » by keobulls » Wed May 22, 2024 2:23 pm

Looking at Tankathon stats and comparisons, can anyone make a case for why you would draft Filipowski over DaRon Holmes in this draft? Holmes is better at just about everything, he is just older. (He is shorter, but has a better standing reach)
You can buy manure outside, from better grazing grounds for your bulls, but if you never cultivate your own feces to flower better weeds you will always look to other side of a fence. - Koristossu
keobulls
Junior

Post#702 » by keobulls » Wed May 22, 2024 2:24 pm

I think DaRon Holmes and KJ Simpson would be good gets this draft.
You can buy manure outside, from better grazing grounds for your bulls, but if you never cultivate your own feces to flower better weeds you will always look to other side of a fence. - Koristossu
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,911

Post#703 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:32 pm

keobulls wrote:I think DaRon Holmes and KJ Simpson would be good gets this draft.

11 is to high to take Holmes.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,139

Post#704 » by Chi town » Wed May 22, 2024 2:35 pm

Dan Z wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:As far as who may be available around the 11th pick, I still like Ja'Kobe Walker as another shooter with 3D potential. Though he was inconsistent with his shot, I think he will end up being a really good shooter and multi-dimensional scorer. I think he will make an impact right away.

As for a potential pick, I'm really intrigued by Tidjane Salaun - super raw, but I think he is the type of player that the Bulls hoped Patrick would be. He is taller, definitely needs to put on weight, but I think he is a lot more fluid and light on his feet than Patrick, where Patrick seems a lot more heavy footed at times. He could be a multipurpose defender, but I think his shooting will come along. He will definitely be a project though, but he looks to have a lot of potential.

I'd be happy with either of those player, but then again, either of those players could fall or be picked before 11.

My concern is that Salaun is a project. If he's a Dalen Terry/Phillips type and spends his first few years primarily in the G League then that's no good. Or if he's a Patrick Williams type, a player who occasionally shows potential but it takes years before he reaches it (if that even happens...the jury is out on PW and as the years go bye it seems less likely he'll get there).

I'd much rather have an Ayo type who can contribute early on and gradually gets better. Or Coby White who improves every year and at some point takes a big step forward. Of course it's difficult to predict all of this and many players in this draft are projects who will take time.

Me too.

Salaun can play defensively day one. His shot is better than Dalen’s right now. Problem is he won’t give you anything on offense.

His first two years he’s basically a talker longer Philipps.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,139

Post#705 » by Chi town » Wed May 22, 2024 2:37 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:
Muzbar wrote:But I really like Buzelis so I would also wouldn't mind a move up.

Not worth moving up. He reminds me of Hedo but he needs alot of development. What skill does he currently have that will 100% translate? I expect he drops in the draft, might be available at #11.

As always, you draft the player that you feel can develop. Developing is the key to any prospect you're drafting. With that said, we'll see what improvements he has made in the weeks to come.

If he is Franz Wagner/Hedo Turkoglu type i think most Bulls fans wold be happy with that.

Matas has a long way to go.

TDS is Franz lite with a much better 3 ball.

He’s my pick at 11. The Jacquez of this draft.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#706 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Chi town wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:
Not worth moving up. He reminds me of Hedo but he needs alot of development. What skill does he currently have that will 100% translate? I expect he drops in the draft, might be available at #11.

As always, you draft the player that you feel can develop. Developing is the key to any prospect you're drafting. With that said, we'll see what improvements he has made in the weeks to come.

If he is Franz Wagner/Hedo Turkoglu type i think most Bulls fans wold be happy with that.

Matas has a long way to go.

TDS is Franz lite with a much better 3 ball.

He’s my pick at 11. The Jacquez of this draft.

11 is way to early for Tristan da Silva. I think he goes in the 20s. And if AK wants him he should just find a way to take Knecht who is way better.
keobulls
Junior

Post#707 » by keobulls » Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm

"11 is way too high" to take someone seems like a foolish mindset, comparing the players output and projections shouldn't be connected to the popular opinion.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#708 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed May 22, 2024 3:25 pm

keobulls wrote:Looking at Tankathon stats and comparisons, can anyone make a case for why you would draft Filipowski over DaRon Holmes in this draft? Holmes is better at just about everything, he is just older. (He is shorter, but has a better standing reach)

Filipowski is a better passer, and has better mobility to defend on the perimeter. Holmes has the talent to be a steal in the late first round to be a back up 5.
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 849

Post#709 » by ChiefILL53 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:30 pm

Red8911 wrote:I’m not sure if Buzelis is good or not but he was born/grew up in Chicago and is Lithuanian same as AK. This is an obvious pick for the bulls if he’s there at 11 , again I have no idea who he is but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s who they draft. AK maybe knows and played with his father who was also a pro.

the ignite connection worries me, but id have to look up his tape. if he was born/raised in chicago, im all for bringing in hometown kids.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#710 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:36 pm

ChiefILL53 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:I’m not sure if Buzelis is good or not but he was born/grew up in Chicago and is Lithuanian same as AK. This is an obvious pick for the bulls if he’s there at 11 , again I have no idea who he is but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s who they draft. AK maybe knows and played with his father who was also a pro.

the ignite connection worries me, but id have to look up his tape. if he was born/raised in chicago, im all for bringing in hometown kids.

Didn't seem like it was a big deal to him if he played for the Bulls or not.
2weekswithpay
Veteran
And1: 1,477

Post#711 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed May 22, 2024 5:08 pm

keobulls wrote:Looking at Tankathon stats and comparisons, can anyone make a case for why you would draft Filipowski over DaRon Holmes in this draft? Holmes is better at just about everything, he is just older. (He is shorter, but has a better standing reach)

Competition for one. Easier for Holmes to put up those numbers in a mid-major. Both players are tweeners but Filipowski has better skills to play as a 4.
2weekswithpay
Veteran
And1: 1,477

Post#712 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed May 22, 2024 5:14 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
Chi town wrote:I think Salaun is a future 5.

Why do you think that? He hasn't played the 5 as a pro and he doesn't get many rebounds or blocks. Salaun has played over 2,000 minutes this season and last and he only has 16 blocks in that time.

Wow. Regardless of position, you’d think a kid that size would walk into more blocks than that. I don’t love it.

Yep, pretty big red flag. He's a very big project and needs a lot of work on both ends.
keobulls
Junior

Post#713 » by keobulls » Wed May 22, 2024 5:39 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:

Competition for one. Easier for Holmes to put up those numbers in a mid-major. Both players are tweeners but Filipowski has better skills to play as a 4.

I haven't watched enough to notice slight differences in their skillset, but it is not like Filipowski can do something that Holmes CAN'T do. Even their agility measurements seem similar. Holmes' shooting and utility seem to be greater than Filipowski's. Competition is a good point, but I guess I thought Holmes finished better in the tourney, too. Just seemed like quite a gap for two players that do most of the same things at the same level.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Post#714 » by Dan Z » Wed May 22, 2024 6:00 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Muzbar wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Does anyone think that the Bulls should make a trade to move up in the draft? Or are you okay with #11?

Personally, I'm ok at 11.

But I really like Buzelis so I would also wouldn't mind a move up.

There'll be a decent player at 11 though.

I’m okay at 11 too. But there are some players who, if they start slipping towards our spot, I’d trade up to get if the additional ask is reasonable.

One reason why I asked the question is because I remember the Terry draft. Tari Eason and AJ Griffin were taken right before the Bulls picked and it may have been worth it to move up (depending on the cost).

Also, I know...Eason dealt with injuries this year and Griffin didn't have a good year, but I'd still prefer either one over Terry.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,222

Post#715 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm

Updated thoughts:

Looking more into him… Geez, I really can’t justify Cody Williams at #11. He plays like the spliced biological hybrid of Demar, Snell and Patrick, with many of their negatives. I see the potential (length, handles, finishing around rim, IQ), but seems like he’d be Patrick Terry the 3rd. A long dubious project. Maybe I’m entirely wrong and he’s the diamond in this draft (played thru injury, NBA weight room away from positional domination, 3P range in hiding). I feel like OKC is the no brainer perfect spot for him to develop. Demar seems a better athlete, but in a best case I do see Cody being a Demar with 3P range and defense. He occasionally flashes some sweet craft.

The only thing I like about possibly drafting Filipowski is he and Caruso would finally put 2 big communicators on the floor… and I’d have to imagine he’d cut into Vuc’s job.

I just don’t see enough talent in Collier to justify adding him to this guard loaded roster. But I could be entirely wrong. If he talks, directs and controls half-court pace, this guy could be the rich man’s PBev we never had, and actually make the whole **** show look respectable. Maybe even bring Zach back into the mix.

Edey is still fascinating, but common sense tells me he’s not translating into an NBA star. Knecht and Reed as well. Not to bunch these NCAA All-Americans, but they’re traditionally very hard to predict in the NBA. Defensive effectiveness, ability to get shots off against much tougher and taller defense, etc. Maybe 1 out of 3 will pan out by odds, into star caliber, but even that seems far fetched? But I do think each has a strong case for starting roleplayer (especially if Edey drops to a loaded 3D team like Boston or Miami).

OTOH if Topic, Castle, Holland, Matas drop, I think you have to take the talent and hope for the best. Each of these guys has star potential, albeit with a lot of development and patience.

I predict AK does the usual and either picks the talent he wanted that dropped unexpectedly “got the guy we wanted all along” (very likely in this draft), or some weird guy off-everyone’s-radar who will be another long shot, or Cody who just fits the draft spot, the AKME draft profile, and can maybe play 200 minutes at PF for Billy next year.

Meaning I don’t expect some creative trade ups or downs, unless they involved dumping Zach. But it’d be weird prioritizing dumping our best talent (albeit overpaid) over getting the best talent pick possible in this draft.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,851

Post#716 » by PlayerUp » Wed May 22, 2024 6:41 pm

ESPN updated mock has us taking Ron Holland, SF, G League Ignite at #11.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,851

Post#717 » by PlayerUp » Wed May 22, 2024 6:43 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I predict AK does the usual and either picks the talent he wanted that dropped unexpectedly “got the guy we wanted all along”

AK usually picks a guy that was supposed to go say #24 at #11 as seen with Dalen and Patrick picking them way too high.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,222

Post#718 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 22, 2024 7:40 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I predict AK does the usual and either picks the talent he wanted that dropped unexpectedly “got the guy we wanted all along”

AK usually picks a guy that was supposed to go say #24 at #11 as seen with Dalen and Patrick picking them way too high.

This is true. The higher the pick (FRP) the bigger the reach, the lower the pick the bigger the drop (Ayo).

But look: if Matas/Holland/Topic/Castle are at #11, Bulls are taking them. I don't think they will be.... but if they drop, Bulls take the talent shot.

Honestly though, AK had a loaded farm when he picked Patrick, and a fairly optimistic (and full, sans Lonzo) roster when he took Terry - maybe that Portland pick would come, maybe Lonzo would be back, maybe Zach would improve, etc.

At this point, we literally have 2 young guys that (maybe) project to being playoff rotation players in their prime: Coby and Ayo. And they would very obviously be amongst the worst starters in next year's playoff, assuming they make the post-season, and assuming they make natural gains (and not unreasonably optimistic leaps). And these guys are up for extension next summer, so they're not rookie salaries anymore. As it stands, we don't really have any other starting caliber prospects locked onto this roster. Maybe Pat if he resigns. Hell , we don't have veteran starting prospects anymore, besides Caruso, who is also soon expiring, and also best as 6th man. Zach's heading out. Vuc's declined well past starting; starting this guy at C is a play-in or 4-0 sweep. Lonzo's done. Demar's turning 35 and maybe gone. We don't have starting talent on this roster. It's pretty alarming.

Probably not time to take high-risk reach gambles. We're talking about total misses taken 5-10 spots above their mocks. AK should've probably been working the trade-down draft market to begin with, when he targeted these two.

I don't believe in taking high-risk gambles at any stage in GMing (Darko, Wiseman, etc.), although 11-18 is usually the best spot for that (like MPJ). But ideally, you just don't take risks on long-shot prospects well beyond their mock? If a guy isn't shooting 3Ps at anywhere near NBA average (Terry), don't wait a year to find out he really can't shoot 3Ps at anywhere near the NBA level. I liked the pick when he was presented to us, but again, in hindsight - did they know he's this bad a shooter, or did they really believe that the Bulls academy is that good at developing prospects?

It's really becoming more and more clear that Arturas got this job with about 110% confidence and ego in his self and his vision, and maybe the Jokic lucky-break was the worst thing that could've possibly happened. Cause it seems like he's fundamentally screwed up so many value trades and decisions, that he has an almost-impossible road to a single 2nd round appearance now short of imploding our 2027-2032 asset base (unprotected future FRPs for washed stars like PG13).
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#719 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:43 pm

PlayerUp wrote:ESPN updated mock has us taking Ron Holland, SF, G League Ignite at #11.

I'd be okay with that. Could have Anthony Edwards upside.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,248

Post#720 » by Red8911 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:27 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:ESPN updated mock has us taking Ron Holland, SF, G League Ignite at #11.

I'd be okay with that. Could have Anthony Edwards upside.

And he would be Zach’s replacement.

Return to Chicago Bulls