Image ImageImage Image

GO CRAZY PAT! - Patrick Williams thread p2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Re: GO CRAZY PAT! - Patrick Williams thread p2 

Post#881 » by CaPiTanAK » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Lower body strength, explosion, and increased ball handling should be the priorities. I watched some film on him last year, and the only thing stopping him from asserting his will on the basketball court is his ball handling. Elite ball handling will allow him to penetrate the lanes at will, generating free throws, shots for others, opening up space for his jumpers, and pressuring the defense.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#882 » by sco » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:03 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:Lower body strength, explosion, and increased ball handling should be the priorities. I watched some film on him last year, and the only thing stopping him from asserting his will on the basketball court is his ball handling. Elite ball handling will allow him to penetrate the lanes at will, generating free throws, shots for others, opening up space for his jumpers, and pressuring the defense.

If he could add just one post scoring move beyond steamrolling to the rim, that would be gravy.
:clap:
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 408

Post#883 » by Lexluthor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:11 pm

Lifting weights did not help Lauri’s improvement.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,860

Post#884 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Lexluthor wrote:Lifting weights did not help Lauri’s improvement.

Okay, and?

Basically all NBA players, All-Stars or not, do some form of weight training.
Why so serious?
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#885 » by CaPiTanAK » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:59 am

Did you tell Giannis that?
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,120

Post#886 » by Wingy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:56 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
Wingy wrote:Videos and posts you want to see next:
- Working on quicker release
- Pounding multiple basketballs working on that handle
- Watching film
- Growing 2” before our eyes

Number one priority is ball handling, at least from my point of view.

There’s room for both. I like his ability to get shots up more right now feeding off of Zach & Vuc. Then of course the handle is big in being able to attack close outs, and hopefully create a little on his own. I think it’s more important that he make teams pay for doubling in the short term. That will open up more opportunities to put it on the floor.
sco
RealGM

Post#887 » by sco » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:

Did you tell Giannis that?

Who's shot do you think it "helped" more Giannis or Lauri? Answer :roll:

Shooting degridation aside, at least Giannis didn't get bulky legs, which, IMO, helped him stay quicker.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,493

Post#888 » by coldfish » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 pm

IMO, the biggest thing Pat has to work on is his handle. I suspect that some of the reason why he isn't aggressive is because he knows that handling the ball in traffic is a weak spot for him so he just doesn't do it.

Weightlifting is fine. Working out is fine. There are experts out there that know how to prepare a person to play in the NBA.

The biggest things that a player can work on in the offseason is the individual skills drills.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Post#889 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:08 pm

I love who Pat is - He's gonna beast with that work ethic.
sco
RealGM

Post#890 » by sco » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:11 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:I love who Pat is - He's gonna beast with that work ethic.

What work ethic has he shown to be above average?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,106

Post#891 » by Chi town » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:38 pm

coldfish wrote:IMO, the biggest thing Pat has to work on is his handle. I suspect that some of the reason why he isn't aggressive is because he knows that handling the ball in traffic is a weak spot for him so he just doesn't do it.

Weightlifting is fine. Working out is fine. There are experts out there that know how to prepare a person to play in the NBA.

The biggest things that a player can work on in the offseason is the individual skills drills.

If he can just take the travel out of his game it’s a massive improvement.

I also believe he has to learn how to play in the post/high post like Jimmy. He needs a go to move that is not just a mid range jumper.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,493

Post#892 » by coldfish » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Chi town wrote:
coldfish wrote:IMO, the biggest thing Pat has to work on is his handle. I suspect that some of the reason why he isn't aggressive is because he knows that handling the ball in traffic is a weak spot for him so he just doesn't do it.

I also believe he has to learn how to play in the post/high post like Jimmy. He needs a go to move that is not just a mid range jumper.

Good post. I agree. His release is a little slow. I don't think he is ever going to be the step back, hit a 3 in your face type.

A mid range series of post moves would serve a lot of players well with his size. Face up / turnaround J / up and under move.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,106

Post#893 » by Chi town » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:05 pm

coldfish wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Good post. I agree. His release is a little slow. I don't think he is ever going to be the step back, hit a 3 in your face type.

A mid range series of post moves would serve a lot of players well with his size. Face up / turnaround J / up and under move.

Yep. Which will also serve to get a lot more FTs too.

I think he will step back and make 3s but more a Kawhi like then KD like.

Return to Chicago Bulls