Image ImageImage Image

Asik Discussion. Pg 50 Sheridan: Bulls will match

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

S & T not happening - should Bulls match Houston offer to Omer?

They should match and will
31%
They should match but will not
7%
They should not match but will
34%
They should not match and will not
29%

Total votes: 238

cot2
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Re: Asik Discussion, P19 Aggrey- Bulls leaning against match 

Post#281 » by cot2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 am

I went into the off-season wanting, and expecting, to match any offer, even an $8M/year offer. The way they structured, 3rd year $15M, versus $10M in 3rd, and 4th, did give me pause. I am still leaning that way, but not a slam dunk. I also saw that matching almost required paying tax, and when you pass that threshold, some more does not hurt that much. If they do not match, I think there is less reason to bring back Korver, or move him for another player, staying under the tax, not more?

I must admit that the Houston offer put me on the fence.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Re: Aggrey Sam: Bulls leaning towards not matching Asik 

Post#282 » by AAU Teammate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 am

DuckIII wrote:
AAU Teammate wrote:While I want Asik here, I'll reserve full judgment until I see what else they have planned.

What can they plan? What would not matching permit them to do?

I think you're going a little far with what I said, I mean obviously there will be further moves. the Korver question, Nazr, etc. I'm interested to see what we're thinking.

What has to irk..anyone..is that this is the guy that had trade value. Not Taj.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: Asik Discussion (Part2) - POLL - Birthday 7/4 

Post#283 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 am

DuckIII wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote:Can't knock the front office for not giving a backup/4th big man playing less than 20 minutes per game 8+ million per.

I can.

I'd rather bring Korver back than Asik.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Asik Discussion, P18 Aggrey- Bulls leaning against match 

Post#284 » by Rerisen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 am

The Trib's poll:

VOTE: Should Bulls match offer for Asik?

The Rockets will sign restricted free agent Omer Asik to a three-year, $25 million contract ... should the Bulls match the offer to keep him?

Yes (1698 responses)

27%

No (4613 responses)

73%

6311 total responses

(Results not scientific)

Bulls fans very worried about finances.

Luckily, last line says it all. :)
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Re: Aggrey Sam: Bulls leaning towards not matching Asik 

Post#285 » by DuckIII » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 am

AAU Teammate wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
AAU Teammate wrote:While I want Asik here, I'll reserve full judgment until I see what else they have planned.

What can they plan? What would not matching permit them to do?

I think you're going a little far with what I said, I mean obviously there will be further moves. the Korver question, Nazr, etc. I'm interested to see what we're thinking.

What has to irk..anyone..is that this is the guy that had trade value. Not Taj.

I was genuinely asking. Letting Asik, Brewer, Watson and Lucas go and signing Nazr and bringing in Hinrich is crap on a stick.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#286 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 am

I'm so tired of this roller coaster off season. I'll be pretty bummed if we lose him for nothing and all we get is Hinrich even though I love Kirk.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#287 » by DuckIII » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote:Can't knock the front office for not giving a backup/4th big man playing less than 20 minutes per game 8+ million per.

I can.

I'd rather bring Korver back than Asik.

Its not a choice. I want and expect both.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#288 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 am

come on - they got to match now

They have no way to get a decent replacement centre

Matching does not mean that we must keep him all 3 years
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#289 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 am

I am about to go into Hulk---Smash mode, if Aggrey's report turns out to be right.

I will wait until July 14th to let it all play out, but FO is on watch with this rumor. Typically, Aggrey has not been very reliable...so lets see.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#290 » by boogydown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 am

J.A. Adande said this morning that he has an inside source that heard the Bulls will match.

We got 1 guy saying the Bulls won't match.
10+ other people say they'll likely or will match.
1rage
Starter
And1: 13

Post#291 » by 1rage » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am

funny how the sentiments change.

Aggrey has been wrong a lot of times anyway
The Bear Jew
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#292 » by The Bear Jew » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am

The only way I want Asik NOT matched is if we actually do something with the money. Picking up Muhammad and maybe re-sign Korver and Lucas would hurt us. I'm an Asik fan, but I've said this before, matching him at that price isn't worth it.
Jimmy Forums
Veteran
And1: 961

Post#293 » by Jimmy Forums » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 am

The only way we should match is if we trade him before that terrible 3rd year, and I don't have the faith in Asik to believe he's gonna convince another team that he's worth $15 million or however much it was.

I don't think we should match. I've said it before and I'll said it again; it just doesn't make sense to pay that much money to a backup center.

Somebody suggested that matching this offer would usher in a "new era of big spending" or something and that we should rejoice..I say no. Three years from now Asik's contract will be looked at much the same as Boozer's (production won't warrant salary), and we certainly aren't rejoicing that big spending.
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#294 » by Angry Jimmy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 am

I hope they don't match. I am not a fan of Asik at all. He's got some skill on the defensive end, but he may very well be the worst offensive player in NBA history. I mean this guy is so bad that he makes Ben Wallace look like Larry Bird.

I don't really understand the Bulls fan base either.

They crucified a guy like Ben Gordon when he was here for being a one-dimensional player, but a guy like Asik who is even more one-dimensional is treated like a key component to a title team. He's a back up center who is too big of a liability on offense to play more than 15-20 minutes a game.

With Rose's injury we're not winning this year. We can do better, and cheaper next year.

Let him walk.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#295 » by boogydown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 am

The Bear Jew wrote:The only way I want Asik NOT matched is if we actually do something with the money. Picking up Muhammad and maybe re-sign Korver and Lucas would hurt us. I'm an Asik fan, but I've said this before, matching him at that price isn't worth it.

Sorry.

"This is about financials not making us a better basketball team" - Future Gar (5 Days From Now)
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#296 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am

DuckIII wrote:Its not a choice. I want and expect both.

You clearly believe JR will pay the lux tax. I don't. Therein lies the rub I guess.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#297 » by AAU Teammate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am

Angry Jimmy wrote:I hope they don't match. I am not a fan of Asik at all. He's got some skill on the defensive end, but he may very well be the worst offensive player in NBA history. I mean this guy is so bad that he makes Ben Wallace look like Larry Bird.

They crucified a guy like Ben Gordon when he was here for being a one-dimensional player, but a guy like Asik who is even more one-dimensional is treated like a key component to a title team. He's a back up center who is too big of a liability on offense to play more than 15-20 minutes a game.

With Rose's injury we're not winning this year. We can do better, and cheaper next year.

Let him walk.

There is a huge difference between the Asik and BG situations. Asik is a phenomenal defensive center who is ideal size and quickness. Ben Gordon however was a novelty player who did not have a NBA position. He's a small guard that cannot play point.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#298 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am

The Bear Jew wrote:The only way I want Asik NOT matched is if we actually do something with the money. Picking up Muhammad and maybe re-sign Korver and Lucas would hurt us. I'm an Asik fan, but I've said this before, matching him at that price isn't worth it.

You do realize that our defense is built from the inside-out. If Asik is gone what do you think happens.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
boogydown
Banned User

Post#299 » by boogydown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

Angry Jimmy wrote:With Rose's injury we're not winning this year. We can do better, and cheaper next year.

Let him walk.

Oh really.........

Who can we get better next year?
1rage
Starter
And1: 13

Post#300 » by 1rage » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

Angry Jimmy wrote:I hope they don't match. I am not a fan of Asik at all. He's got some skill on the defensive end, but he may very well be the worst offensive player in NBA history. I mean this guy is so bad that he makes Ben Wallace look like Larry Bird.

Let him walk.

hyperboles are always nice. Also in Thibs' system, the Center has a specific role, and being an offensive juggernaut is not required.

Return to Chicago Bulls