Image ImageImage Image

Bellinelli v Korver Redux

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

EastBayFJ
Head Coach
And1: 295

Bellinelli v Korver Redux 

Post#1 » by EastBayFJ » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:23 pm

Even though it was only the Cavs last night - Bellinelli's game , and his display of skills , confirmed he was / is the better option than Korver , if , you are pitting them in head to head competition for one roster spot.

His defense is better than Korver's ( Marco has surprised by his willingness to put in on the defensive end - he's not going to win any defensive player of the year votes but he can be , and is turning into , a sound system defender on this team )

Also surprising , is his ability to get to to the rim off the dribble - which is better than what I thought it would be

These attributes plus his 40% 3 ball lead me to believe we got the better guy ( again , if you just want to isolate the comparison in Marco took Kyle's slot simlar to the thinking that Jimmy took Brewer's slot and Nate took the Turd's slot )
"GarPax played Grab Ass with Mirotic for 5 years and been in Omaha playing Hide the Salami with Doug McBuckets for the 1.5 years and they've developed feelings for him. Well, I say "F feelings and F loyalty!" I want CHIPS! Jerry Krizause
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Bellinelli v Korver Redux 

Post#2 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:26 pm

It's all nice and dandy to see Marco do well but to be honest, I'm going to hold off any further judgement on the matter until I see how he plays off of Derrick - that's the most crucial unknown right now. All signs point to it working well, but how we imagine looks good on paper doesn't always mean it will work in reality.
Why so serious?
kuly1990
Veteran
And1: 441

Post#3 » by kuly1990 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:32 pm

i just hope we can sign Marco, im starting to like him more and more, i just hope we can sign him on bigger contract for fair price, i hate if he would play for other team next year!
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#4 » by jc23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:32 pm

Also lets wait and see how he does in the post season (especially against a top defense).

Korver was shut down come playoff time by philly and miami.
Be curious, Not judgmental
EastBayFJ
Head Coach

Post#5 » by EastBayFJ » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:34 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:It's all nice and dandy to see Marco do well but to be honest, I'm going to hold off any further judgement on the matter until I see how he plays off of Derrick - that's the most crucial unknown right now. All signs point to it working well, but how we imagine looks good on paper doesn't always mean it will work in reality.

Or how crapstastic it looks on paper before someone comes along and surprises in the actuality

Marco is putting up close to equal his career numbers so far this season as to the best season he had when he was playing with Chris Paul in New Orleans

I have seen enough to form a view on how he and Derrick Rose should benefit each other's games.

In fact , if this team can go where I think it can go ( to the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat ) then I think we are better equipped this team ( overall ) then what we were last time we got spanked

Marco and his ability to create as opposed to Korver being a screen / curl running shooter only is a big part of that possibility
"GarPax played Grab Ass with Mirotic for 5 years and been in Omaha playing Hide the Salami with Doug McBuckets for the 1.5 years and they've developed feelings for him. Well, I say "F feelings and F loyalty!" I want CHIPS! Jerry Krizause
Judrix
Starter
And1: 201

Post#6 » by Judrix » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:35 pm

Korver was shut down because he can't dribble. He can sit at the 3 point line or run off screens. Marco can do both of those things, plus he can attack the basket and utilize the pick and roll. He's not a great defender, but he's certainly better than Korver.

He's a much better play than Korver, a great swap by the FO.
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#7 » by bentheredengthat » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:36 pm

jc23 wrote:Also lets wait and see how he does in the post season (especially against a top defense).

Just logged on to say exactly this.

Also I was one of the first group on the Belli bandwagon, but as Kulaz , let's wait for how he gels with Rose on the court.

I was dissapointed to see Rip get his starting job back, but if Rip goes away I anticipate success with Belli. We won't know until the playoffs what kind of success, but I'm optimistic we've got a nice piece here - hope we can keep.
EastBayFJ
Head Coach

Post#8 » by EastBayFJ » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:38 pm

jc23 wrote:Also lets wait and see how he does in the post season (especially against a top defense).

We didnt have anyone else in those series who could reliably create with any consistency

Having any two on the floor of Rose, Bellinelli and Robinson for two thirds to three quarters of the game will alleviate this problem..especially as Bellinelli and Robinson are genuine 3 ball threats as well as creators , and , Derrick's developed ability to hit the big shot from range under pressure
keithmad42
Senior
And1: 157

Post#9 » by keithmad42 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:43 pm

It is no longer about Belinelli vs Korver.

It is now about the projected old 2 guard rotation vs the new 2 guard rotation:

Old: Rip / Korver / Butler

New: Belinelli / Butler / Hinrich / Cook

I really like Kyle Korver and would like to see him back on this team one day as a bench 3 point shooter, but... I'll take the NEW
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#10 » by MissileMike » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:43 pm

How much can the bulls afford this offseason? I thought Marco was going to play himself out of the bulls' price range.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#11 » by BullChit » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:48 pm

MissileMike wrote:How much can the bulls afford this offseason? I thought Marco was going to play himself out of the bulls' price range.

He pretty much has but also i remember reading interviews with him after he signed with us saying how much he wanted to play for the Bulls then he did for anybody else...

To me him and Derrick, if they work as well as we all imagine they could could create a name for himself that no other team or oppotunity really could.

Hopefully he isnt all about the money...
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
keithmad42
Senior

Post#12 » by keithmad42 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:50 pm

MissileMike wrote:How much can the bulls afford this offseason? I thought Marco was going to play himself out of the bulls' price range.

That was assuming either Rip would be back or the FO would be going after a different starting 2 guard. If Marco shows in the playoffs, I think the FO will try to resign him as an affordable starting 2 guard.
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#13 » by chifan1798 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:51 pm

I would imagine that there will be an adjustment period for Rose and all of the team, and not just Belli, but I don't see why those two can't work on the court. However, if you do want to wait, how about just looking at last year how Korver did without Rose. Rose missed plenty of games for us to get a good sample size about how Korver plays with another pg....so we can compare Belli's performance now, with Korver's performance last year with Rose down. Saying that, I think that Marco has shown that he can do more than Korver, and Marco is the better defender, so it doesn't hurt as much to have him in the game in critical situations. Also, Marco is the better passer, and at times, Marco has taken the ball to run the play. Korver was great at what he does, but Marco just gives us more

A big key, like people have mentioned, is that we have to see how he performs in the playoffs. How he does, remains to be seen. But, I think Marco has the tools to have better success than Korver did.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#14 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:55 pm

They could offer him the taxpayers mid-level, which has a first year salary of $3.1M, which I think is a fair price.

If they get below the apron enough, they could use part of the non-taxpayers, which is $5M-ish.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#15 » by Ralphb07 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:58 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

They could offer him the taxpayers mid-level, which has a first year salary of $3.1M. That's about double what he's making this year.

Which he may take since it's doubled and he might of found a home here... I don't see any team going beyond full MLE for him and Marco seems like a guy that would take a little less to stay here.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#16 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:00 am

Korver was unfortunately useless in the 2 playoff series losses -- I can't forget that. Marco has small shoes to fill in that regard, and right now he's helping carry this team's offense. Easy choice.
Ice the knees
Veteran
And1: 618

Post#17 » by Ice the knees » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:07 am

The problem with Korver was he was easily removed from game plans.

-"Okay Kyle, they are denying you the ball, how are you going to help the team"

That question was not easily answered and it hurt the Bulls. I believe that Marco is a much more well rounded ball player. He is going to open up the offense quite a bit for Rose.
ZippinPippen
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#18 » by ZippinPippen » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:08 am

Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#19 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:19 am

Ralphb07 wrote:Which he may take since it's doubled and he might of found a home here... I don't see any team going beyond full MLE for him and Marco seems like a guy that would take a little less to stay here.

Hell, can't see a team going full MLE for him. 3-4M seems about right.
keithmad42
Senior

Post#20 » by keithmad42 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:23 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Which he may take since it's doubled and he might of found a home here... I don't see any team going beyond full MLE for him and Marco seems like a guy that would take a little less to stay here.

Hell, can't see a team going full MLE for him. 3-4M seems about right.

I hope your right but I fear that as a starter with decent numbers in the playoffs, the price may go up. I also think that the more he plays for Thibs, the less he will be looked at as a defensive liability which will up his value in the same way that Korver's did as well.

Return to Chicago Bulls