Image ImageImage Image

Per Cowley "Source": Butler not a fan of Rose's work ethic

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Per Cowley "Source": Butler not a fan of Rose's work ethic 

Post#1 » by blumeany » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:44 pm

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1018875/according-source-jimmy-butler-hasnt-thrilled-derrick-roses-work-ethic

The Jimmy Butler-Derrick Rose so-called feud needed some clarity.

It was provided Wednesday, as a former member of the Bulls said in a phone interview, “Personally, the two are great. Professionally is where they have a difference of opinion.’’

According to the source, Butler considers Rose a friend, but “doesn’t have a lot of respect for his work ethic.’’ In Butler’s mind, Rose was considered the face of the franchise, and if the face of the franchise wasn’t busting his butt in practice every day, especially last season, what was the message to the rest of the team?

“We all saw this coming,’’ the source said.

The source said that Butler also took note of a Rose comment in the playoffs last season, in which the Bulls point guard was asked if Butler had reached superstar status, and responded, “I think it’s going to take a little minute for Jimmy to get there.’’

That explains Butler coming into this season, beating his chest about a lack of leadership and how he’s the one willing to change that. And it’s been more than just words.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Re: Per Cowley "Source": Butler not a fan of Rose's work ethic 

Post#2 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:46 pm

Eff Joe Cowley. I mean, there's a solid chance Jimmy feels this way. But eff Joe Cowley.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
blumeany
RealGM

Post#3 » by blumeany » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:50 pm

This info doesn't surprise me. Jimmy is VERY clearly establishing himself as the alpha dog on and off the court. Only question is if Rose will be accepting of that, or will he just grab hold of the thought that he's the unquestioned leader in the locker room and be an anchor for this team?
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#4 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:51 pm

Again with the garbage of a riff that doesn't exist. Oh Cowley, must be a slow news decade. Just because Rose & Butler don't hit the club together it doesn't mean there's a problem.

I'm sure Butler doesn't like Rose's work ethic. Or that of others. So what? It's going to be crazy to hear, but not every teammate has liked everyone else ever. Shocking, I know. Somehow the NBA keeps keeping on.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,758

Post#5 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:52 pm

His source is "a former member of the Bulls." Which is different than saying "a former Bulls player." Member could be anyone.

That said, it would be silly to pretend there isn't smoke to this fire. The hope is that it won't end up mattering, moreso than hoping its a pure fiction.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#6 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:55 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:Again with the garbage of a riff that doesn't exist.

You really think there's no rift or tension between Rose and Jimmy??
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#7 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:59 pm

Like Butler has said, winning cures all.

But if the team starts underachieving - whatever that means to fans or media - then I suspect more of this 'feud' stuff is going to dribble out and reignite.
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#8 » by Darius Miles Davis » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:02 pm

DuckIII wrote:His source is "a former member of the Bulls." Which is different than saying "a former Bulls player." Member could be anyone.

That said, it would be silly to pretend there isn't smoke to this fire. The hope is that it won't end up mattering, moreso than hoping its a pure fiction.

I feel like there's some proof in the pudding here. How could Derrick Rose come back after two knee injuries and have such terrible shooting form? His form was much better before his injuries. The fact that his balance was so bad after coming back suggests that 1. he either didn't work on his shooting as much as we had heard, 2. he doesn't take advice well, or 3. the Bulls have horrible shooting instruction. His ball handing was also worse after his injuries. I'd think that you could work on dribbling even before shooting after a knee injury.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
blumeany
RealGM

Post#9 » by blumeany » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:03 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:Again with the garbage of a riff that doesn't exist.

You really think there's no rift or tension between Rose and Jimmy??

There's is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that there's a rift. Many people crapped on Cowley after his report after last season's playoffs. But guess what, there's Jimmy Butler beating his damn chest for anyone who can hear, repeatedly talking about being the best, being the leader. That's not a guy who's thinking to himself 'this is Derrick's team'. On the other side, you have Rose who has always talked himself up as the leader of the team. I likewise don't see him thinking to himself "you know, this is Jimmy's team now and I think I should just step back and let him roll with it". Ain't gonna happen. On top of that, you've got a first-time head coach. It's a recipe for disaster.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#10 » by TyrusRose2425 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:03 pm

lol...
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#11 » by RememberLu » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:06 pm

D.Rose doesn't want to wake up for 5:00 am workouts. d.Rose likes to sleep in past 11:00. Does Jimmy want to sue D.rose for that? Get in line.

I'd hate to hear what Jimmy thinks of Noah's work ethic then
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#12 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:07 pm

If this lights a fire under Derrick's ass to play his best then I'm all for it.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
blumeany
RealGM

Post#13 » by blumeany » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:08 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:If this lights a fire under Derrick's ass to play his best then I'm all for it.

Agreed. You would hope it would.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#14 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:08 pm

These two won't co exist well if shots like this are being fired. Nice work Cowley, lets sabotage the season before it even starts. This will drive GarPax nuts. Just what Hoiberg needs, sorting alpha dogs.

It's still residue from the 2013 playoff run when Jimmy was playing 48 MIN a night while MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY ROSE was sitting on the sidelines watching Nate puke in a bucket. You don't forget that.

remember MJ NEVER won a title without Pippen and Pippen never won without MJ.
This is a TEAM sport, you cannot do it alone. Ask this guy if you're not sure:

Work it out guys, Butler/Rose should be one of the best 1-2 combos ever.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#15 » by blumeany » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:09 pm

RememberLu wrote:D.Rose doesn't want to wake up for 5:00 am workouts. d.Rose likes to sleep in past 11:00. Does Jimmy want to sue D.rose for that? Get in line.

I'd hate to hear what Jimmy thinks of Noah's work ethic then

Yeah, but you combine that with his tendency to constantly talk about things outside of basketball and you have to wonder just how much of Derrick Rose is dedicated to the game and his team. Doesn't seem like he's 'all in' anymore.
Krazy!!!
Starter
And1: 165

Post#16 » by Krazy!!! » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:09 pm

Seems as though every effort is being attempted by the media to more or less phase Rose OUT of the Bulls plans.
Keller61
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#17 » by Keller61 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:15 pm

If Jimmy is mad at Rose for not going all out in practice last season, that doesn't make much sense. With all of Rose's health issues, the medical staff likely advised him to take it easy.
Droseisthe1
Analyst
And1: 1,780

Post#18 » by Droseisthe1 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:20 pm

Cowley wrote it? No thanks.

Why is it only him that gets these "scoops?" Something really fishy about it. His agenda has been clear for 4 years now. Go back and cover the White Sox or go write about your **** madden and 2k franchises.
Kris Bryant will go down as the greatest Chicago athlete after MJ

edit 7/30/21: okay maybe not, but it was a fun ride nonetheless
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Re: RE: Re: Per Cowley "Source": Butler not a fan of Rose's work ethic 

Post#19 » by WesleyExChiFan » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:22 pm

Krazy!!! wrote:Seems as though every effort is being attempted by the media to more or less phase Rose OUT of the Bulls plans.

A lot of fans have already moved on. I think the medically cleared to play leak came from the front office to shame Rose into playing that year and it grew legs and got away from them. It gave a guy like Cowley something to run with. Now the narrative has gotten away from them
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,758

Post#20 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:23 pm

Darius Miles Davis wrote:
DuckIII wrote:His source is "a former member of the Bulls." Which is different than saying "a former Bulls player." Member could be anyone.

I feel like there's some proof in the pudding here. How could Derrick Rose come back after two knee injuries and have such terrible shooting form? His form was much better before his injuries. The fact that his balance was so bad after coming back suggests that 1. he either didn't work on his shooting as much as we had heard, 2. he doesn't take advice well, or 3. the Bulls have horrible shooting instruction. His ball handing was also worse after his injuries. I'd think that you could work on dribbling even before shooting after a knee injury.

I believe in a rust factor, so I don't think it can all be attributed to the notion that he doesn't work hard. But don't get me started on a fact vs. fiction regarding Derrick Rose. I believed from the get-go that there were some red flags with this guy and that he wasn't what he was sold as being from an attitude/personality perspective, and time hasn't exactly worked against that viewpoint.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls