Image ImageImage Image

Nick Friedell and other media negativity thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,572

Re: Nick Friedell... 

Post#41 » by Mk0 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:40 am

Mark K wrote:The funny thing is people are crushing Nick for being overly negative about the Bulls but that's the tone of the national media in general when it comes to the Bulls.

Just because this board loves the new additions, doesn't mean it's right or others, like those in the media, can't disagree.

What did Friedell say or do yesterday that was so bad? I actually thought his question to Wade about the Bulls being his last stop was a good one.

Stop making sense ya jerk!
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#42 » by kingkirk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:04 am

MisterRoy wrote:Its been Nicks entire attitude since Wade committed to the Bulls. I just said that maybe its time for him to cover a new team if he is gonna be so negative.

If you want beat reporters to just be positive, you'll never be happy. Friedell isn't going to give up his beat just because this internet forums wants him to be positive.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,375

Post#43 » by The Box Office » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:04 am

I have no problems with Friedell. I appreciate his honesty. Until we start reaching the NBA Finals then we shouldn't be giving each other hand jobs for being positive arm chair quarterbacks.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#44 » by pb-ceo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:12 am

nick asked the best question. do you want to retire as a bull? It did not get a warm and fuzzy response...
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,340

Post#45 » by kodo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:32 am

Friedell has at least been consistent.

He's been anti-Butler since the beginning, we're talking last December.

He was the first major guy to openly say Jimmy Butler simply isn't good enough, and if Butler isn't good enough shouldn't he be traded away so this team can lose 70 games a season and pray for picks. He really was very early on the "Trade Jimmy" train; he created that bandwagon.

From that perspective, seeing that the FO has done everything to cater to Jimmy (trading Rose, trading Noah, keeping Butler instead of getting the Boston or Minny pick, signing veterans Jimmy wanted on the team) this entire year has been opposite everything he wanted the Bulls to do, which is go Full Hinkie.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#46 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:38 am

Mark K wrote:
MisterRoy wrote:Its been Nicks entire attitude since Wade committed to the Bulls. I just said that maybe its time for him to cover a new team if he is gonna be so negative.

If you want beat reporters to just be positive, you'll never be happy. Friedell isn't going to give up his beat just because this internet forums wants him to be positive.

I'm not getting this. Literally no one is asking him to be a Sam smith. Matter of fact a lot of people have said they don't even like smith because of his overly positive outlook. People want balance. They want the truth whether it be good or bad. They want opinions that are more open to discussions than statements that show that you really don't care about the other side of the argument.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,893

Post#47 » by Dominator83 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:40 am

Proven_Winner wrote:Friedell is like Bulls_Jay. I don't need or want a guy to report only good or negative. Friedell typically only gives his opinion that's usually negative. He'll say something like Jimmy is a good player but not good enough to be a leader.

That's the kind of writing he does. If you were just now following the Bulls you'd think friedell was a hater and didn't write for the Bulls. That's not good reporting. Good reporting is more like Kelly Scaletta where he argues for both sides and uses statistics and keeps an open mind. A

I think you mean not good enough to be a #1 on a championship team, which is how pretty much every NBA fan/executive/analyst feels. The reason why Butler wasn't traded on draft night is because nobody felt he was worth giving 2 prime assets for. Thibs, who knows Jimmy better than anybody, wouldn't even part with Dunn and Zach effing Lavine for him. Boston refused to give #3 plus next years Brooklyn, LAL refused to give #2 plus Russell, etc. If Jimmy was viewed as a TRUELY ELITE player in the class of Lebron/KD/Anthony Davis/Curry/Westbrook, then all those teams would have given up the 2 assets without batting an eye.

As for him being made about Rondo/Wade, he among many many others have been preaching that they need to blow it up and start fresh, and hes probably right. While these recent signings are feel-good for sure, they do indeed reek of the White Sox "lets throw a band-aid on a broken leg" philosophy. Instead of going all in on a youth movement they bring in 2 guys that are well past their primes. Wade can sugarcoat it all he wants, but the reality is that hes only even here because Riley didn't want him anymore.

People used to call him a Heat fan because he was always picking the Heat to take the East. Well, the Heat DID go on to take the East all 4 years Lebron was there. He calls it like he sees it and hes usually right.

Edit to add: For the record, I don't blame them at all for not dealing Butler because of the fact that nobody was willing to give 2 prime assets. They made the right call in not settling. But at the same time, even with Jimmy I wouldve liked to have seen a youth movement. Roll with Jimmy and the summer league big 3 (Valentine/Portis/Felecio), Niko, Doug, etc and see if that could develop into something because some of that potential in these guys is legit. I'm a bit torn too because the Wade thing is still feel good, but in all likelyhood it is just delaying the inevitable. Unlesss of course Wade plays a big role in getting a top notch free agent here. :D
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#48 » by musiqsoulchild » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:41 am

The Box Office wrote:I have no problems with Friedell. I appreciate his honesty. Until we start reaching the NBA Finals then we shouldn't be giving each other hand jobs for being positive arm chair quarterbacks.

Yeah - the problem though is that we are too quick to castrate our own members too easily.

There is a vast middle ground where I can hold my own and wait for an earthquake.
For love, not money.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#49 » by musiqsoulchild » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 am

kodo wrote:Friedell has at least been consistent.

He's been anti-Butler since the beginning, we're talking last December.

He was the first major guy to openly say Jimmy Butler simply isn't good enough, and if Butler isn't good enough shouldn't he be traded away so this team can lose 70 games a season and pray for picks. He really was very early on the "Trade Jimmy" train; he created that bandwagon.

From that perspective, seeing that the FO has done everything to cater to Jimmy (trading Rose, trading Noah, keeping Butler instead of getting the Boston or Minny pick, signing veterans Jimmy wanted on the team) this entire year has been opposite everything he wanted the Bulls to do, which is go Full Hinkie.

My bet is that he lost all his sources ( Rose camp + Noah) this offseason.

I see him being salty for a long time.
For love, not money.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,842

Post#50 » by Jcool0 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:55 am

Pretty simple:

K.C. Johnson = Good at his job.

Nick Friedell = Bad at his job.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,236

Post#51 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:56 am

Axxo wrote:I'd have to say this is pretty objective reporting.

Yeah, I don't see anything "overly" negative in that report.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#52 » by kingkirk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:22 am

Proven_Winner wrote:I'm not getting this. Literally no one is asking him to be a Sam smith. Matter of fact a lot of people have said they don't even like smith because of his overly positive outlook. People want balance. They want the truth whether it be good or bad. They want opinions that are more open to discussions than statements that show that you really don't care about the other side of the argument.

I think people see what they want to see. Realistically, how many here read everything Nick puts out? Is everything he writes negative? No, it's not. If in general, he has a negative tone about the Bulls, well, the organisation hasn't exactly been filled with many great things to report.

It's been constant stream of **** filled with off court dramas that dominated the story line. I don't think it's strange for anyone to have an overly negative tone so long as they're backing that up with logical thoughts. If it's just dumb tirades that aim for click bait, different story. I don't sense that from Friedell at all.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about his writing evoking any feeling at all, that's a different topic. But the tone of his writing, it's not an issue to me.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#53 » by the ultimates » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:33 am

Dominater wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:Friedell is like Bulls_Jay. I don't need or want a guy to report only good or negative. Friedell typically only gives his opinion that's usually negative. He'll say something like Jimmy is a good player but not good enough to be a leader.

That's the kind of writing he does. If you were just now following the Bulls you'd think friedell was a hater and didn't write for the Bulls. That's not good reporting. Good reporting is more like Kelly Scaletta where he argues for both sides and uses statistics and keeps an open mind. A

I think you mean not good enough to be a #1 on a championship team, which is how pretty much every NBA fan/executive/analyst feels. The reason why Butler wasn't traded on draft night is because nobody felt he was worth giving 2 prime assets for. Thibs, who knows Jimmy better than anybody, wouldn't even part with Dunn and Zach effing Lavine for him. Boston refused to give #3 plus next years Brooklyn, LAL refused to give #2 plus Russell, etc. If Jimmy was viewed as a TRUELY ELITE player in the class of Lebron/KD/Anthony Davis/Curry/Westbrook, then all those teams would have given up the 2 assets without batting an eye.

As for him being made about Rondo/Wade, he among many many others have been preaching that they need to blow it up and start fresh, and hes probably right. While these recent signings are feel-good for sure, they do indeed reek of the White Sox "lets throw a band-aid on a broken leg" philosophy. Instead of going all in on a youth movement they bring in 2 guys that are well past their primes. Wade can sugarcoat it all he wants, but the reality is that hes only even here because Riley didn't want him anymore.

People used to call him a Heat fan because he was always picking the Heat to take the East. Well, the Heat DID go on to take the East all 4 years Lebron was there. He calls it like he sees it and hes usually right.

Edit to add: For the record, I don't blame them at all for not dealing Butler because of the fact that nobody was willing to give 2 prime assets. They made the right call in not settling. But at the same time, even with Jimmy I wouldve liked to have seen a youth movement. Roll with Jimmy and the summer league big 3 (Valentine/Portis/Felecio), Niko, Doug, etc and see if that could develop into something because some of that potential in these guys is legit. I'm a bit torn too because the Wade thing is still feel good, but in all likelyhood it is just delaying the inevitable. Unlesss of course Wade plays a big role in getting a top notch free agent here. :D

Butler didn't get traded because the Bulls didn't want to get pennies on the dollar just to start a rebuild. The Celtics were trying to get another star through trade. They talked about Hayward, Parker and Middleton but nothing materialized. Why because everyone knew the most valuable thing they had was the Brooklyn picks. Why would the Lakers trade for Jimmy in the middle of their own rebuild process? The Bulls wanted better than Dunn and Lavine not the Timberwolves not wanting to give them up. The baseball comparison is crazy. We've seen high level free agents turn around a basketball team. It's much harder to do in baseball.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#54 » by the ultimates » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 am

This is the last thing about Friedel and the national media take on this from me for awhile. If the Bulls should blow it up and rebuild then every team not named the Warriors, cavaliers or spurs should to right?
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,944

Post#55 » by jc23 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am

use to hate Nick now i like him. And i dont want my reporters to just sugar cote their articles, Nick has some valid points about Wade and his age.

And for those saying he is always negative he isnt, in 2015 he picked us all year to come out of the east and felt we were better then Cleveland.

Basically i want my Chicago media guys to be honest and not cater to any one group i.e. not a Cowley or a Sam Smith.
Be curious, Not judgmental
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#56 » by rtblues » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:10 am

the ultimates wrote:This is the last thing about Friedel and the national media take on this from me for awhile. If the Bulls should blow it up and rebuild then every team not named the Warriors, cavaliers or spurs should to right?

Yeah, and even those two teams "re-tooled"!

Fridell is a jerk, I don't appreciate him interjecting giggles into his commentary, just openly mocking them, which is more apparent in video/audio clips than in his writing. Basically, he is emphasizing that they are not in contention for a tile >laughs here.. Really? Wow, thanks Captain Obvious! And to think, us mere delusional fans were thinking we were. He rarely brings much substance or breaks any big news.

I also agree with the other poster about Friedel now losing his main access sources, Noah/Rose. In addition to his obvious history of being anti-Jimmy, it will now be interesting to see how he starts targeting Wade and Rondo once the season starts.

I don't need a brown-nose, rah-rah, Stacey or Funk type, but man, he is the beat reporter for the team, and he usually sounds like a guy from a national media outlet, like ESPN, who doesn't really even like the team.

Lastly, he is always quite coy about it, walking a fine-line as to not totally piss off the people in the organization, yet snickering and being sarcastic all the while, your basic gutless, provocateur. Obviously I just don't like the guy, but to each their own. If someone believes that Friedel is some torchbearer of truth, fine. I stopped taking this guy seriously a long time ago.

Can't he move to NY and cover the Knicks? He'd have access again ;-)
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#57 » by terry » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:30 pm

RememberLu wrote:
the ultimates wrote:For me it's not about him being to positive, negative or being a team cheerleader. I haven't read or heard an original thought from him that isn't espn group think. I want objective rational analysis and coverage not cliff notes from what everyother talking head has already said.

What analysis are you expecting? The Bulls' ceiling is Lebron and it has been for 10 years. Every year its the same story. How many times can a man get burned trying to be positive before he learns his lesson and stops. There was reason for positivity in 2012 and again in 2014, Nick and many other sports writers both local and national were positive on the Bulls. They placed them as real contenders going to the ECF to face Lebron.

But that's over. Any objective analysis on this team is going to underwhelm Bulls homers.

No, he wasn't positive then either. I remember vividly in 2012 him always saying "the bulls just dont have enough to get over the hump and get past the heat", He said it all the time and it was really annoying.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#58 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Mark K wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:I'm not getting this. Literally no one is asking him to be a Sam smith. Matter of fact a lot of people have said they don't even like smith because of his overly positive outlook. People want balance. They want the truth whether it be good or bad. They want opinions that are more open to discussions than statements that show that you really don't care about the other side of the argument.

I think people see what they want to see. Realistically, how many here read everything Nick puts out? Is everything he writes negative? No, it's not. If in general, he has a negative tone about the Bulls, well, the organisation hasn't exactly been filled with many great things to report.

It's been constant stream of **** filled with off court dramas that dominated the story line. I don't think it's strange for anyone to have an overly negative tone so long as they're backing that up with logical thoughts. If it's just dumb tirades that aim for click bait, different story. I don't sense that from Friedell at all.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about his writing evoking any feeling at all, that's a different topic. But the tone of his writing, it's not an issue to me.

Realistically people don't read everything he puts out because a lot of the time it's not good. I never said everything he writes is negative just a lot or majority. So then explain why Sam smith is so positive. Does that mean that there is good things to report?

I agree but I am not only talking this year. If you know Nick you should know he's ALWAYS been like this. This year wasn't his first time. You're right but like I already said Nick's problem is that sometimes he gives an opinion as a statement which closes it off for discussion. His writing isn't always trying to make readers see what he sees. I'm not hating on the guy for any reason I've read his stuff over the years even if I didn't like the topic. Nick a lot of the time can be annoying to people because he just doesn't seem all that interested or interesting. There is a difference between negative and objective. I feel if you back up a claim of something wrong then you're just giving insight on how you feel about a situation. Being negative is what Nick typically does when he sometimes just gives you his opinion and just leaves it at that.

Just because the tone isn't an issue to you doesn't mean it isn't a issue at all. I personally don't read anything from Nick or Sam because they both only really stay on one side of the coin. IMO you have to kind of be on the fence with an open mind. Have your beliefs but also be willing to understand the other side.

Do you see? People don't just dislike Nick because he's negative it's because people don't feel they can relate. How can you relate to someone who's only willing to think on one side of the fence most of the time? Same with Sam.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#59 » by MAQ » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Friedell is negative because he's covering a team that's been in the midst of a **** storm ever since their superstar went down with an ACL injury. And hes been right most of the time too. Friedell was the first reporter I can remember back in the 2011-2012 season suggesting the only members on that team who would remain in a year or two was Rose Noah and Taj. Most notably left out of that group was Deng who was just as much a part of the Bulls franchise and core as those other three guys...probably more as he was the longest tenured.

I just can't have issue wi what Friedell reports if he's right most of the time. Same with Cowley.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#60 » by League Circles » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:40 pm

pb-ceo wrote:nick asked the best question. do you want to retire as a bull? It did not get a warm and fuzzy response...

That question sucked.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls