Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: Playoff Edition

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Re: RE: Re: Around the NBA: 2016-17 Stretch Run Edition 

Post#881 » by kyrv » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:27 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:Great to see LMA is cleared for all basketball activities and his heart issues were minor.

Nice!
kyrv
RealGM

Post#882 » by kyrv » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Payt10 wrote:Is Larry Sanders allowed to play in the playoffs for CLE? Surely not. I thought for sure that deadline already passed with the Bogut signing.

I forgot about that, I think you are right and March 1 is the playoff eligible sign by date.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#883 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 pm

kyrv wrote:
Payt10 wrote:Is Larry Sanders allowed to play in the playoffs for CLE? Surely not. I thought for sure that deadline already passed with the Bogut signing.

I forgot about that, I think you are right and March 1 is the playoff eligible sign by date.

Pretty sure the rule is that you just have to be a free agent before that date.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
kyrv
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Around the NBA: 2016-17 Stretch Run Edition 

Post#884 » by kyrv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:47 am

RedBulls83 wrote:
kyrv wrote:

Pretty sure the rule is that you just have to be a free agent before that date.

Oh that sounds right actually.

-----

Going to walk (of shame) back my Westbrook MVP thoughts. Heard today that in his trouble double games OKC has won 82% of the time.

I'm still annoyed by the media infatuation with an arbitrary stat, and that Westbrook is specifically going for them. But he is helping his team win.

Personally I still hope he doesn't finish top two, but with Durant's injury should probably finish third. But the media is really in love with the triple double thing.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Around the NBA: 2016-17 Stretch Run Edition 

Post#885 » by veji1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am

kyrv wrote:
Going to walk (of shame) back my Westbrook MVP thoughts. Heard today that in his trouble double games OKC has won 82% of the time.

I'm still annoyed by the media infatuation with an arbitrary stat, and that Westbrook is specifically going for them. But he is helping his team win.

Personally I still hope he doesn't finish top two, but with Durant's injury should probably finish third. But the media is really in love with the triple double thing.

honestly what he is doing is pretty crazy and I don't see why him getting MVP would be a bad thing in any way. Durant is injured, Lebron is Lebron and we don't notice it anymore, Harden has a much better team, etc.. Westbrook being MVP wouldn't shock me one bit.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Around the NBA: 2016-17 Stretch Run Edition 

Post#886 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Pretty fascinating take on this Warriors story floating around today about 'Problems'

Here's a guy with an .835% Winning percentage and his team thinks they know more than a 5x champ?
They supposedly liked Luke Waltons laid back style more? Sound familiar - players wanting a more lax coach.

Woj did a great interview with Walton and he does sound very laid back. Luke said he shuts it down at night and goes home like a regular guy to spend time with the family when the Lakers are home. He does not live at the facility like Thibs, encourages players to get away from the court and enjoy life.

Kerr looks kinda strung out IMO and we know he's got big time back issues.

and "Unnamed Warrior" is almost certainly Green

Hoiberg for Kerr swap anyone?
kyrv
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Around the NBA: 2016-17 Stretch Run Edition 

Post#887 » by kyrv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 pm

veji1 wrote:
kyrv wrote:

honestly what he is doing is pretty crazy and I don't see why him getting MVP would be a bad thing in any way. Durant is injured, Lebron is Lebron and we don't notice it anymore, Harden has a much better team, etc.. Westbrook being MVP wouldn't shock me one bit.

Yep I don't think I could complain at all if he won. I forget the team record in his non-triple double games, but it's not very good. He is having a huge positive impact.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#888 » by kyrv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:12 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Pretty fascinating take on this Warriors story floating around today about 'Problems'

Here's a guy with an .835% Winning percentage and his team thinks they know more than a 5x champ?
They supposedly liked Luke Waltons laid back style more? Sound familiar - players wanting a more lax coach.

Woj did a great interview with Walton and he does sound very laid back. Luke said he shuts it down at night and goes home like a regular guy to spend time with the family when the Lakers are home. He does not live at the facility like Thibs, encourages players to get away from the court and enjoy life.

Especially since Kerr let them do it their way last season and they didn't win.

Could definitely be Green, although he might have a big enough voice to say it in public. Still my first guess too though.

Most fans and players would kill to in the Warriors position. And I think most would listen to the 5x champ dude.

Walton definitely seems like he could be a rare coach that doesn't wear on his players.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#890 » by kyrv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#891 » by Axxo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Cavs on NBATV. They have the the biggest Homers for announcers.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#892 » by Indomitable » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 am

Taj is starting for OKC
:banghead:
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#893 » by AKfanatic » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 am

Indomitable wrote:Taj is starting for OKC

He's been starting for a few games now. Looks like he's figuring out where to be lately. Taj is going to be big for them in the playoffs.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#894 » by Rerisen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:55 am

kyrv wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:Pretty fascinating take on this Warriors story floating around today about 'Problems'

Especially since Kerr let them do it their way last season and they didn't win.

Could definitely be Green, although he might have a big enough voice to say it in public. Still my first guess too though.

Most fans and players would kill to in the Warriors position. And I think most would listen to the 5x champ dude.

Walton definitely seems like he could be a rare coach that doesn't wear on his players.

This is why I would always favor the LeBron style head honcho team over the ensemble. Odd that I classify GSW as an ensemble with their star power, but that's how they have to play to mesh all those egos and succeed.

Even teams that play wonderful team basketball, when it takes 12 guys all buying in, it can be super hard to sustain before agendas and egos start disrupting things.

Short of the Spurs, GS played the best buy-in team ball around, but after one title and one disappointing Finals loss, maybe its going to unravel faster than people think, sort of like the Heatles.

The amazing kumbaya system ball seems to be the paragon of many fans desires, but I think its really much harder to sustain than simply having an MJ/LeBron who makes the trains run on time every year, and as long as they buy in, the team buys in.

This is not to say the Cavs are favorite, the dubs simply have too much talent for that. But 2 years from now, LeBron being back in the Finals as he usually is, might be a better bet than the Warriors.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#895 » by realEAST » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am

GimmeDat wrote:If you guys haven't noticed, Saric has been insane since the AS break.

29/7/5 today, and it's not the first time he's put up a statline like that. Dude's a beast and the clear ROY imo.

Playing like crazy since Embiid went down, didn't think he would be able to play at this level, and I liked his game and the way he plays.

He seems like a legit starter on any team. He improved his shooting and overall scoring game considerably; always had good feel for game and played with whole heart, but this puts him on another level, if he can sustain it.

It will be interesting to see how they fit him, Embiid and Simmons, because he is best as PF.

BTW, Luwawu starting to show his potential on off end too last two games, shooting well, getting to the line, even dishing couple of assists. Very intrested to see how he progresses.

Deserved it for sure, good guy and great worker. (Saric, dont know about Luwawu :) )
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#896 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:03 am

i was always unhappy that thibs never would take the time and develop james johnson who i knew was a unique multi-talented player. in fact not unlike Valentine is right now. Thibs burying him and his subsequent trade made it difficult for JJ to find a place, a coach to believe in him enough for an on ball substantial role. and JJ owns some of that for sure. His coach in Toronto tried but JJ just wouldn't buy in (to himself) enough when he was there. Not unlike Doug not buying into himself while he was here.

Well tonight James Johnson got some revenge. 27 minutes. 17 point on 8-12 shooting 1-2 3pt, 2 r , 6a, 2s 1 block. +25 on the night.

for those of you that are paying attention JJ should be a top 3 6th man of the year and is almost the sole reason for miami making their push during their amazing late playoff run. This team did NOT start winning until JJ was given significant on ball responsibilities about 2 months ago for the majority of his time on court. has any team ever come from as far back and gone on a run like this?

congrats to JJ. great guy by all accounts. just earned himself what should be a 40-50M payday. pretty awesome for a guy that has only made about 12M in his career.

I know the bulls need shooting but we also need playmaking and it is easy to find shooting at PG and SG. I hope the bulls give him an offer. he is a hoiball player and can guard sf/pf well. even SG's. his game will age very well. Guys like JJ and draymond (and lebron) allow you to invert your offense when your PF is on ball and running pick and rolls. makes the game easier for your wings to cut and get into the paint. closest thing to draymond green in the game right now. james frickin Johnson.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#897 » by Mech Engineer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm

AKfanatic wrote:

He's been starting for a few games now. Looks like he's figuring out where to be lately. Taj is going to be big for them in the playoffs.

Taj is starting and OKC is 4-0 when he starts. He is the ultimate glue guy and somehow he knows where to be. I watched a couple of his games...his plus-minus stats are great in the last few games. His P & R defense is unique for a big and not many big guys can play P & R defense like him and that's what most teams run. It is a very under-rated part of his defense.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#898 » by jc23 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

Taj is starting and OKC is 4-0 when he starts. He is the ultimate glue guy and somehow he knows where to be. I watched a couple of his games...his plus-minus stats are great in the last few games. His P & R defense is unique for a big and not many big guys can play P & R defense like him and that's what most teams run. It is a very under-rated part of his defense.

i never understood the hate he got from a few on this board, Taj has been great relative to his contract his entire tenure here in Chicago.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#899 » by Mech Engineer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:06 pm

jc23 wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

i never understood the hate he got from a few on this board, Taj has been great relative to his contract his entire tenure here in Chicago.

Ibaka was completely taken out of his game with Taj just not having to do everything on defense. With Taj having multiple good defenders with him like Roberson, Westbrook, Adams with him.....he can have a much bigger impact.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#900 » by Rerisen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Clippers, Heat Interested In Carlos Boozer

In similar news, man likes to sleep on train tracks.

Return to Chicago Bulls