Image ImageImage Image

McDermott and Gibson for Payne, Morrow, and some random dude - Trade done per Vertical

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Rate this deal for the Bulls?

A
3%
B
6%
C
14%
D
22%
F
32%
I'm gonna became a fan of a different team
7%
I'm going to stay away till a change in management occurs
16%

Total votes: 309

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Re: McDermott and Gibson for Payne, Morrow, and some random dude - Trade done per Vertical 

Post#1061 » by AirP. » Wed Mar 8, 2017 9:44 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
AirP. wrote:
MissileMike wrote:
The trade was a meaningless trade. Nothing of high value given up by either side. Taj has value, but he's expiring so..... it was just a nothing for nothing trade.

Well, the trade has helped open up the lane for OKC, Westbrook has scored 41+ in 5 of the 7 games since the trade(5 of 6 since being able to practice with the new players) and that's with Oladipo out all but the last of those games. They've got 18 games to try to figure out how to use everyone.

I don't know why though. McD is hooting horribly; way worse than with the Bulls. his PER since joining OKC is 5.3. I don't believe in PER as an overall assessment of a player, but for a guy who's value is supposed to be offensive skill, that is a sick (in the bad way) number.

Well, he's known as a good shooter when open and he's getting open shots in OKC but he just hasn't hit yet. Maybe the in season trade has kinda messed up his mental makeup for the short term. For instance... for the season McDermott in Chicago hit 43% of his wide open 3s yet in OKC he's 1 of 7 and just open 3s he's been eh at 34% yet he's 2 of 14 in OKC. So either he's just on a cold streak or the trade has really messed with his head. Normal shooting Doug probably helps OKC win 1 or even 2 of those 3 games they recently lost.

It's odd, the 2017 draft has a good amount of potentially good PGs out there yet Chicago's acquire 2 younger/not proven PGs in less then a year. Chicago already has some youth at C, PF, SF, SG and Grant will be 25 next season but yet they traded for a young PG and gave up a 2nd round pick to make it happen. Gotta believe the FO believes Payne is the future at PG for Chicago because the trade makes no real sense otherwise.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Re: RE: Re: McDermott and Gibson for Payne, Morrow, and some random dude - Trade done per Vertical 

Post#1062 » by samwana » Wed Mar 8, 2017 10:58 pm

AirP. wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Well, the trade has helped open up the lane for OKC, Westbrook has scored 41+ in 5 of the 7 games since the trade(5 of 6 since being able to practice with the new players) and that's with Oladipo out all but the last of those games. They've got 18 games to try to figure out how to use everyone.

I don't know why though. McD is hooting horribly; way worse than with the Bulls. his PER since joining OKC is 5.3. I don't believe in PER as an overall assessment of a player, but for a guy who's value is supposed to be offensive skill, that is a sick (in the bad way) number.

Well, he's known as a good shooter when open and he's getting open shots in OKC but he just hasn't hit yet. Maybe the in season trade has kinda messed up his mental makeup for the short term. For instance... for the season McDermott in Chicago hit 43% of his wide open 3s yet in OKC he's 1 of 7 and just open 3s he's been eh at 34% yet he's 2 of 14 in OKC. So either he's just on a cold streak or the trade has really messed with his head. Normal shooting Doug probably helps OKC win 1 or even 2 of those 3 games they recently lost.

It's odd, the 2017 draft has a good amount of potentially good PGs out there yet Chicago's acquire 2 younger/not proven PGs in less then a year. Chicago already has some youth at C, PF, SF, SG and Grant will be 25 next season but yet they traded for a young PG and gave up a 2nd round pick to make it happen. Gotta believe the FO believes Payne is the future at PG for Chicago because the trade makes no real sense otherwise.

I don't have stats, but I believe that Doug is sort of like Korver( with us ) , he can hit some shots but later in games when the defense gets tighter and the pressure goes up, he can't hit them anymore. Maybe he feels even more pressure to prove himself now that he is traded and it messes his confidence up even more? That doesn't bode well for the playoffs.
BuffaloBull
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Re: McDermott and Gibson for Payne, Morrow, and some random dude - Trade done per Vertical 

Post#1063 » by BuffaloBull » Wed Mar 8, 2017 11:09 pm

AirP. wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
AirP. wrote:

The extra year on Payne's rookie contract vs Doug's is really important. If the plan is to maximize cap space in the summer of 2018, then Payne is a much better option that Doug (and not in a Rein$dorf sort of way) because he will be on the last year of his rookie deal while Doug would've been up for an extension (an RFA, but a caphold transforms into a set figure once an offersheet is signed). Payne, Grant, and Portis all have the same contract timetable, so the idea is if all of these guys are playing rotation roles, that allows more capspace and flexibility to add to the top of your rotation.
High level
Analyst
And1: 595

Re: RE: Re: McDermott and Gibson for Payne, Morrow, and some random dude - Trade done per Vertical 

Post#1064 » by High level » Wed Mar 8, 2017 11:23 pm

samwana wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

I don't have stats, but I believe that Doug is sort of like Korver( with us ) , he can hit some shots but later in games when the defense gets tighter and the pressure goes up, he can't hit them anymore. Maybe he feels even more pressure to prove himself now that he is traded and it messes his confidence up even more? That doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

This is a similar issue with Niko as well. When teams make adjustments Niko becomes a sitting soft duck. Can't see him making an impact in playoffs setting.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1065 » by AirP. » Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:54 am

samwana wrote:I don't have stats, but I believe that Doug is sort of like Korver( with us ) , he can hit some shots but later in games when the defense gets tighter and the pressure goes up, he can't hit them anymore. Maybe he feels even more pressure to prove himself now that he is traded and it messes his confidence up even more? That doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

Well, he and Taj hasn't had much time to adjust, they flew to OKC the night of the trade and then went on a 3 game roadtrip. I'm sure that effected him because hitting 14% from 3pt range on a decent amount of shots being wide open isn't normal for him.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#1066 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#1067 » by Rerisen » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:09 am

^ Cam sounds like a guy that really needs confidence.

Hopefully Rondo can help him and probably be a lot better mentor at PG than Russ, as great as Westbrook is you can't learn insane athleticism from him.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#1068 » by Stratmaster » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:05 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I don't know why though. McD is hooting horribly; way worse than with the Bulls. his PER since joining OKC is 5.3. I don't believe in PER as an overall assessment of a player, but for a guy who's value is supposed to be offensive skill, that is a sick (in the bad way) number.

His OKC time is a pretty small sample, could just be variation.

Also though, Doug seems soft mentally, maybe the move has messed with his rhythm.

A more far out possibility, Bulls were actually maximizing Doug, using him 'right' and OKC isn't. :lol:

Yep, Hoiberg is likely the COY :)
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1069 » by Rerisen » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:58 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I don't know why though. McD is hooting horribly; way worse than with the Bulls. his PER since joining OKC is 5.3. I don't believe in PER as an overall assessment of a player, but for a guy who's value is supposed to be offensive skill, that is a sick (in the bad way) number.

Also though, Doug seems soft mentally, maybe the move has messed with his rhythm.

A more far out possibility, Bulls were actually maximizing Doug, using him 'right' and OKC isn't. :lol:

And Jimmy MVP, not Russ.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#1070 » by Stratmaster » Thu Mar 9, 2017 10:33 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

And Jimmy MVP, not Russ.

That would be an equally absurd award, yes.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1071 » by Rerisen » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:23 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

And Jimmy MVP, not Russ.

That would be an equally absurd award, yes.

Well hate to nitpick but not equally.

If they expanded MVP voting to top 15, Butler would get some votes. Hoiberg would get no votes even if COY had 15 lines.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1072 » by AirP. » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Ah, the real Doug McDermott showed up for OKC last night, 21 minutes 0 Rebs, 1 Assist, 11 points. Outside of points, those are the empty numbers that I'm use to seeing!
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1073 » by Leslie Forman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:44 am

AirP. wrote:Ah, the real Doug McDermott showed up for OKC last night, 21 minutes 0 Rebs, 1 Assist, 11 points. Outside of points, those are the empty numbers that I'm use to seeing!

Hey now.

Spacing.

S P A C I N G.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1074 » by Rerisen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Poor Doug, down to 5 minutes today, less he plays in the final couple.

He manged the Tony Snell stat line, zeroes across the board, not registering a single box score entry, less you count the "-1" his team lost while he was out there.

Return to Chicago Bulls