Image ImageImage Image

2018 Draft Prospect discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: 2018 Draft Prospect discussion 

Post#981 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Okay Bamba doesn't look like Gobert on offense is actually trying to improve in that area it appears.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#982 » by Just_Bullz » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 am

We are in a good shape to get either of the players mentioned. I haven't had the chance to see all of them but there is a top 2 way player, just take him.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#983 » by No-Man » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:47 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Pretty nuts to think Boston will have likely two top 5 picks in this draft. Especially with Tatum looking good, that Fultz deals looking alright.

Not sure that'd be the case, honestly I could see easily Chicago, New York, Phoenix and Sacto been worse than Brooklyn and LA, and Indiana, Orlando and Atlanta are right there, they might not get the pick from Phi (LA in 18' and SAC/PHI in 19') until 2019 if it's out of the top5, and they might get a pick 6-7 from Brooklyn.

Brooklyn's roster ain't that bad, they have bad bigs, but solid guards and the best spacing of the bottom 9 teams by a mile.

Lin-Whitehead/Dinwiddie
Russell-Kilpatrick
Crabbe-LeVert/Harris
RHJ-Carroll-Acy
Mozgov-Booker-Allen

They could add another guy, they have some $$ and there are enough bigs out there, their worst positions.
Could easily sign Lavoy Allen, Dante Cunningham or David Lee.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#984 » by No-Man » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Maybe Porter has a better handle/shot than Bagley, but we're talking about 2 very different players. Bagley is a PF/C, Porter is a PF/SF, and they play very differently. Porter needs to have a better handle/shot than Bagley.

Porter aint a PF/SF, if he gets a secondary position from PF it's gonna be C before SF.
3noD
Sixth Man
And1: 562

Post#985 » by 3noD » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:35 am

GimmeDat wrote:Maybe Porter has a better handle/shot than Bagley, but we're talking about 2 very different players. Bagley is a PF/C, Porter is a PF/SF, and they play very differently. Porter needs to have a better handle/shot than Bagley.

6'10 guys who can handle and shoot come at a premium in the NBA. BTW, I'm not saying Bagley is not worth the #1, he should be considered strongly. I'm saying Porter is a very legit consideration as well.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#986 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

Fischella wrote:

Porter aint a PF/SF, if he gets a secondary position from PF it's gonna be C before SF.

Why C? He's wayyyy too skinny for C and he's already built for SF just like KD and Ingram.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#987 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Fischella wrote:

:noway: no way.. PF/SF will be his spots..
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#988 » by kodo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

3noD wrote:

6'10 guys who can handle and shoot come at a premium in the NBA. BTW, I'm not saying Bagley is not worth the #1, he should be considered strongly. I'm saying Porter is a very legit consideration as well.

Agreed.

And the Porter handles thing is getting a bit overblown...we know he won't be Lebron James and that's fine. KD has done OK for himself with having worse handles & explosion than Porter at the same age.

Ingram wasn't any better of a ballhandler or athlete as a #1/#2 pick for his draft, and he's clearly an NBA SF.
Porter looks like his handles are on the same level or a bit better.

Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#989 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm

I really disagree that KD had worse handles and explosion than Porter at the same age.

Porter's ball skills are mediocre. He doesn't blow by anyone, he doesn't create any space, and he doesn't have any hesitation moves. He's a good straight line driver, but he hasn't shown the ability to win off the dribble at a high level. If Porter can improve at that, then he might be the unanimous #1.

Until then, I would take Bagley over him without thinking twice.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#990 » by JeremyB0001 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Gobert just turned 25 and he was eighth in the league in RPM last season. There's no doubt in my mind that he's a franchise player. His impact on the defensive end is worth many wins. I think that Bamba has the potential to have the same type of impact and should be in consideration for the top overall pick. It's weird how people sometimes value offense more than defense (an in other situations, vice versa). Teams win games by outscoring the opponent, regardless of the side of the floor on which their performance allows them to do so.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#991 » by kodo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I really disagree that KD had worse handles and explosion than Porter at the same age.

Porter's ball skills are mediocre. He doesn't blow by anyone, he doesn't create any space, and he doesn't have any hesitation moves. He's a good straight line driver, but he hasn't shown the ability to win off the dribble at a high level. If Porter can improve at that, then he might be the unanimous #1.

Until then, I would take Bagley over him without thinking twice.

KD in HS was mainly a jump shooter or dribbled a bit then shot a jumper over his defender. He did finish with a dunk on drives but they were hardly impressive, mainly utilizing his freakish wingspan. Whereas Porter when he gets a head of steam is in danger of cutting stitches into his forehead from the rim on his finishes.
Spoiler:

On a HS level, but Porter and Bagley finish more impressively than KD did.

But how impressive everyone is in HS doesn't matter that much, we'll know more over the coming year as everyone plays against better competition. Randle was ranked #2 out of HS, and Aaron Gordon #3, so I suspect a lot will change.

And also wouldn't be surprised if Bagley becomes a clear #1.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#992 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm

kodo wrote:KD in HS was mainly a jump shooter or dribbled a bit then shot a jumper over his defender. He did finish with a dunk on drives but they were hardly impressive, mainly utilizing his freakish wingspan. Whereas Porter when he gets a head of steam is in danger of cutting stitches into his forehead from the rim on his finishes.
Spoiler:

Go back and watch highlights of Durant at Texas. He was way more advanced than Porter. He was quicker, showed a ton of promise in the post, quicker release and his handle was much smoother. Durant could definitely take you off the dribble any time he wanted. It wasn't necessarily because he was faster or Kyrie Irving with the ball, but he had a clean enough handle in addition to his long strides to get anywhere he wanted. Durant was a mismatch nightmare.

Durant was as sure a thing as you'll ever see. He was the definition of a once-in-a-generation prospect. Porter is not close to that.

Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#993 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 am

A little something.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Effortless
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#994 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned but MPJ said he might not be one and done. Weakens the draft class but if we get bagley this year we have a chance at MPJ next year. Of course the chances are low but damn that would be some potential sitting in this teamp
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,099

Post#995 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:53 am

Michael Porter Jr.

And that's all I have to say about that
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#996 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 am

Proven_Winner wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned but MPJ said he might not be one and done. Weakens the draft class but if we get bagley this year we have a chance at MPJ next year. Of course the chances are low but damn that would be some potential sitting in this teamp

It'd be very surprising if Porter isn't one and done. Risks losing too much money.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#997 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned but MPJ said he might not be one and done. Weakens the draft class but if we get bagley this year we have a chance at MPJ next year. Of course the chances are low but damn that would be some potential sitting in this teamp

It'd be very surprising if Porter isn't one and done. Risks losing too much money.

I'd be surprised too but from what I read he's really into his home and he's can bring a lot of attention to mizzou. Then again I read something about him potentially being Mizzou's first one and done player.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#998 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 am

Bagley will be the #1 pick in 2018.

JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#999 » by JeremyB0001 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:Bagley will be the #1 pick in 2018.

I'd take the field in a heartbeat.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#1000 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:Bagley will be the #1 pick in 2018.

I agree. No other player has as much two-way and mismatch potential. Ayton would be close, but he doesn't play with the motor Bagley does.

Return to Chicago Bulls