Image ImageImage Image

Bulls select Cash with Pick #38

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: Bulls select Cash with Pick #38 

Post#181 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I gotta think there is something wrong with Bell which is why he wasn't a projected 1st rounder. I've read he has no jumper.

This one is still a head scratcher and when were watching him make significant contributions in the playoffs next season it's just gonna make me angrier. There's no excuse the FO can give for drafting a kid with potential and having him on the cheap and just straight up selling him for $$$ and not another prospect.

Watch this kid develop into a an all star after a few seasons learning from the vets in GSW :banghead:
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#182 » by rtblues » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Saw this tweet, pretty funny...
Expect to see Lauri Markkanen at Summer League next month. Unclear if second-round pick Cash Considerations will join him on the team.

Read on Twitter
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Bullbleep
Freshman
And1: 34

Post#183 » by Bullbleep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:09 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I gotta think there is something wrong with Bell which is why he wasn't a projected 1st rounder. I've read he has no jumper.

This one is still a head scratcher and when were watching him make significant contributions in the playoffs next season it's just gonna make me angrier. There's no excuse the FO can give for drafting a kid with potential and having him on the cheap and just straight up selling him for $$$ and not another prospect.

Watch this kid develop into a an all star after a few seasons learning from the vets in GSW :banghead:

The Bulls selected Bell for GSW, not for themselves. There's no reason to believe the Bulls would have selected Bell if they had kept the pick. I think the larger question to be asked is why the Bulls didn't try to move up in the 2nd round to get one of the wings they were targeting, once it became "iffy" whether any of them would be available at #38. Unfortunately, the Bulls had already traded away their 2018 & 2019 2nd rounders, so they didn't have much to work with. But money can work in both directions. It seems very suspicious that a team clearly switching into rebuild mode would be willing to sell a high 2nd round pick, but not willing to throw money into moving up a bit in the 2nd round to get who they wanted. This smells more like a front office directive to save some money in the draft for offset to the expected loss in playoff money...
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,493

Post#184 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Reinsdorf's stance has been clear for a while, hasn't it?

He'll pay for a winner, and by 'winner' he means a championship contender. If we're going in the opposite direction - i.e. rebuilding - he's gonna strip this thing for parts.

Never mind that losing small assets makes it harder to start that long climb back to contender status. That's the front office's problem. You want me (ownership) to forgo playoff revenue for the next five seasons? You better jump on every opportunity to mitigate those losses.

Which is why we can't afford GarPax's bad talent evaluation over the next few years. If ownership is going to skim basketball assets off the top, what assets remain have to be maximized.

Unfortunately, the value that GarPax brings to ownership is that they're willing to frame moves like selling #38 as a "basketball decision." That's the kind of thing that earns you a 14+ year tenure, despite lousy results over the last 5.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#185 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 pm

Was there even ONE person here who said before the draft "Damn, I sure hope that Bell kid from Oregon is available at #38"?

But all of a sudden GS wants him, and he's the next coming of Ben Wallace combined with Dennis Rodman.

It's downright comical, really. What's the difference between a 2nd round pick and an undrafted FA? Nothing.

The Bulls obviously weren't interested in Bell, a feeling shared by 28 other NBA teams who could have had him for $3.5 million. Or for FREE if they would have drafted him.

It's a mortal lock that the Bulls will bring in at least one rookie FA who went undrafted... would people be less butt-hurt if the Bulls had taken one of them at #38 instead?

Pick one of the rookies the Bulls bring in this summer, and pretend they were drafted #38, if it helps you sleep.

But this is some of the dumbest stuff I've ever read in my life.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#186 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I think a lot of the negative will change if the Bulls indeed take on bad deals for assets. That's what I'm waiting to see.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#187 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:33 pm

League Circles wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
Spoiler:
League Circles wrote:I explained my honest reasoning in another thread a little better amd will paste here:

I just woke up and don't feel like breaking them all down but I'll list them:

5: Cris, Lauri
4: Niko, Bobby
3: Lavine, Zipser
2: Valentine, Grant
1: Dunn, Payne

Now these are just young guys we already have now. I expect to add at least one but perhaps several more in FA. Then there are the vets:
Lopez
Wade
Rondo

Also Canaan.

I just really have never, never liked a situation where more than 2 young guys are competing at any given spot. This belief of mine predates the Pax administration.

Most obviously don't agree with me, but every NBA player has ability and potential, and I like a sitiation where they know that if they play really well, there is definitely a spot and role for them. With 3 guys that's not the case, cause you can play really well but if the 2 other youngsters at your spot also play even better, you won't play cause it's rare and not desirable to have 3 man platoons at positions in thr NBA. At least with a vet like wade, Grant and Valentine (and Lavine) know that if they all play well, Wade will either be gotten rid of or he will be gone at end of year.

I don't want young guys to feel like they might do exactly what they should, play really well and still be buried, which would be likely if there are 3 youngsters (plus a vet) competing at a spot.

It's basically for the psychological benefit of the young player in my opinion, maximizing their chances at success.

In my opinion this is one reason you'll never see the full 15 or 17 roster filled with young guys trying to make it in this league. 10 is about the most you'll see cause about 2 per position plus vets is a sane internal competition. Not to mention most of these guys can play multiple positions. IMO they need to believe that if all goes perfectly on their end and on the ens of all their teammates (cause young guys have wide eyes and high expectations), then oversaturation isn't going to screw anyone out of a role.

Sure you can make an argument for Zipser or Payne I guess, but Zipser showed he could play NBA ball last year and also has a 4 year deal IIRC. Payne was a #10 pick I think who hasn't had much of a chance and has a guaranteed dral that may help in trade matching. I couldn't blame the Bulls for deciding that they want to see those two guys no matter what over another 2nd rounder despite whoever may look better in summer league or whatever.

Remember the terrible problem we had last seasom with excessive tryouts? Don't think that hasn't been discussed by Bulls FO and ownership.

I'm guessing this came up in conversations like wow this is a lot of young guys. Way more than last year amd it was kind of a problem then. Gee is this guy really gonna get a meaningful chance to male the team? Well probably not cause we already like all these better prospects we havr for these reasons and want to get more in FA. Well what could we get to move the pick? Oh 3.5 million dollars, oh nobody is offering a future pick (Pax claimed, might be a lie I realize)? Let's do it.

The only way this line of logic is defensible is in the future the Bulls actually spend to recoup second round picks, which I believe they've never done. So excuse me if I don't hold my breath.

It's defensible if I, Frank Vogel and others happen to be right that overcrowding can sabotage the development of one or more players. Which we may or may not be. IDK. It's just always an opinion I've had going back 20 years or so.

You can develop a second round pick and not interfere with the development of your NBA team, especially when you have your own D league team.

That 3.5M better be allocated directly to an increase in player development increases then. Specility coaching hires, additional trainers, equipment, etc.

I think most believe it's going to line the owners pockets though.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#188 » by League Circles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:You can develop a second round pick and not interfere with the development of your NBA team, especially when you have your own D league team.

That 3.5M better be allocated directly to an increase in player development increases then. Specility coaching hires, additional trainers, equipment, etc.

I think most believe it's going to line the owners pockets though.

Sure you can develop them, though everything affects everything and I personally believe it would be too crowded. You can only control 2 guys on the D league team, and I'd like those to be Payne and probably Canaan.

i'd like my 15 man roster to be:

Cris
Lauri
Bobby
Niko
Zipser
Lavine
Valentine
Grant
Rondo
Dunn

+ one real FA, one room MLE, and then three guys from among Wade, Lopez, what we may receive in trade for them, and vet min leader type FAs.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#189 » by MGB8 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 pm

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:Was there even ONE person here who said before the draft "Damn, I sure hope that Bell kid from Oregon is available at #38"?

But all of a sudden GS wants him, and he's the next coming of Ben Wallace combined with Dennis Rodman.

It's downright comical, really. What's the difference between a 2nd round pick and an undrafted FA? Nothing.

The Bulls obviously weren't interested in Bell, a feeling shared by 28 other NBA teams who could have had him for $3.5 million. Or for FREE if they would have drafted him.

It's a mortal lock that the Bulls will bring in at least one rookie FA who went undrafted... would people be less butt-hurt if the Bulls had taken one of them at #38 instead?

Pick one of the rookies the Bulls bring in this summer, and pretend they were drafted #38, if it helps you sleep.

Nice try. But (1) the Bulls didn't walk into the draft going into a rebuild - they traded Jimmy Butler to get into that position, and (2) Bell was a borderline first round talent who fell into the bottom of the 2nd - a guy who would have brought rebounding and shotblocking at the 4 to a team that now lacks those things - so he could have been a potential big hit on a 2nd rounder.

Instead of taking Bell, or at least some other asset to help in rebuilding, the Bulls go and get... cash.

Not flipping for a future 2nd. Not a euro-stash. Cash.

The only dumb thing is fans who are slapped in the face by the ownership group and management team, but then go on to defend them - like someone on the receiving end of an abusive relationship - "but they LOVE me!"
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#190 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:Was there even ONE person here who said before the draft "Damn, I sure hope that Bell kid from Oregon is available at #38"?

You must not have followed the draft thread. A number of us were very high on Bell, so much so that we considered him at 16 (though that was a reachh).

The Bell love did not come out of nowhere. But as others have said, how you feel about Bell is neither here nor there, this is about #38 as an asset.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#191 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I'll also add that this is the second year in a row that Golden State has bought an early 2nd rounder. The pick they bought last year became Patrick McCaw, who played meaningful minutes in the Finals.

That's the difference between good orgs and bad ones. Good ones realize that marginal moves have implications on the court. Bad ones see home runs and strike outs -- everything in between is blurry to them.
Bullbleep
Freshman
And1: 34

Post#192 » by Bullbleep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 pm

MGB8 wrote:Nice try. But (1) the Bulls didn't walk into the draft going into a rebuild - they traded Jimmy Butler to get into that position, and (2) Bell was a borderline first round talent who fell into the bottom of the 2nd - a guy who would have brought rebounding and shotblocking at the 4 to a team that now lacks those things - so he could have been a potential big hit on a 2nd rounder.

Instead of taking Bell, or at least some other asset to help in rebuilding, the Bulls go and get... cash.

Not flipping for a future 2nd. Not a euro-stash. Cash.

Yes, converting #38 into something of value in the rebuild, instead of just cash, seems ridiculously obvious. But in my mind, the more egregious failure is not being aggressive in landing one of the players they actually did want. Paxson said they had a couple of wings targeted that ended up being selected right before their pick came up (probably Iwundu & Ojeleye...). I don't quite understand how they could just sit there and hope things work out, once they were down to one target. They should have been throwing money out at that point to move up...
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#193 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

League Circles wrote:It's defensible if I, Frank Vogel and others happen to be right that overcrowding can sabotage the development of one or more players. Which we may or may not be. IDK. It's just always an opinion I've had going back 20 years or so.

Stop grouping yourself with Frank Vogel. You have not shown his quote or how it at all applies to this type of situation.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#194 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm

There were several of us here on the Jordan bell bandwagon. Hell, some BEFORE the draft wouldn't have even minded taking him 16, let alone 38
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#195 » by League Circles » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
League Circles wrote:It's defensible if I, Frank Vogel and others happen to be right that overcrowding can sabotage the development of one or more players. Which we may or may not be. IDK. It's just always an opinion I've had going back 20 years or so.

Stop grouping yourself with Frank Vogel. You have not shown his quote or how it at all applies to this type of situation.

I don't have a quote. Another poster said he heard Vogel express a similar mentality on how guys won't develop if there are too many young guys. That's enough for me haha.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#196 » by MC3 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 pm

League Circles wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:

I don't have a quote. Another poster said he heard Vogel express a similar mentality on how guys won't develop if there are too many young guys. That's enough for me haha.

I said it. And if anybody wants a quote or where it was said they are free to search Magic board.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#197 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 pm

There were several of us who stated we would be thrilled with him at 38. Some even suggested after the tourney that he might be a good pick at 16. He was on most boards from 25-45. If you go back to the Tourney thread, I posted that I would love to have that kid on my team and that I didn't care about measurements or any of that. I compared him to a young Taj Gibson at the time.

What's comical is you trying to defend the cash grab by the FO that made ZERO sense for the basketball team. In fact, it's one less lottery ticket that you have a shot with.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#198 » by Wingy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Reinsdorf's stance has been clear for a while, hasn't it?

He'll pay for a winner, and by 'winner' he means a championship contender. If we're going in the opposite direction - i.e. rebuilding - he's gonna strip this thing for parts.

Never mind that losing small assets makes it harder to start that long climb back to contender status. That's the front office's problem. You want me (ownership) to forgo playoff revenue for the next five seasons? You better jump on every opportunity to mitigate those losses.

Which is why we can't afford GarPax's bad talent evaluation over the next few years. If ownership is going to skim basketball assets off the top, what assets remain have to be maximized.

Unfortunately, the value that GarPax brings to ownership is that they're willing to frame moves like selling #38 as a "basketball decision." That's the kind of thing that earns you a 14+ year tenure, despite lousy results over the last 5.

What a $&@$ing joke of a standard this cheap ownership maintains.

Will shell out for a true contender, huh? Chicken meet egg. It's a helluva lot easier to become a true contender if you're willing to spend to maintain and improve your assets.

But instead let's wait for the perfect storm and then we might pay up.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#199 » by Wingy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 am

Did I post it here? Nope.

Did I see a mock, see it as a possibility, and think: "Damn, I hope we can grab him with our 2nd!"? Yup.

Kid fits the type of player Pax used to draft when it was just Pax and we used to draft really good NBA players.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#200 » by othawhitemeat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:01 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:

There were several of us who stated we would be thrilled with him at 38. Some even suggested after the tourney that he might be a good pick at 16. He was on most boards from 25-45. If you go back to the Tourney thread, I posted that I would love to have that kid on my team and that I didn't care about measurements or any of that. I compared him to a young Taj Gibson at the time.

What's comical is you trying to defend the cash grab by the FO that made ZERO sense for the basketball team. In fact, it's one less lottery ticket that you have a shot with.

I really believe he is going to play a ton and will be a top 10 player from this draft. He is tough, smart defender, very athletic, can board, and can block. He is nasty and a great teammate. The Bulls are really going to regret this. All you need to know I how much gsw paid for him.

Return to Chicago Bulls