Image ImageImage Image

Kris Dunn Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Re: Kris Dunn Thread 

Post#1301 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Kris Dunn needs the Bulls to take Doncic or some other main guard/wing and let said new guy be the main distributor on a team or else Dunn is going to flame out in this league. At the PG spot, it's very hard to be a good offense if the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of the time isn't a dynamic scorer or creator. Look around the league, tell me a good offense outside of the Spurs system where they're a good offense but the main creator of the team is fairly mundane scorer and distributor. If Kris Dunn was playing a role ala Nwaba where he was energy, defense, secondary creation, and streaky shooting I'd say you have a future starter in this league. But at the PG spot, on any traditionally based team, Dunn's lack of creation and offensive height is a problem. He's solid at those things but he's not showing "lead guy on a good team" level play. This always becomes the hardest part of evaluating what you have on a bad team and trying to project out to the future.

It will be interesting to see how he handles Lavine coming back and how Lavine handles playing next to him because I can't think of two worse guys to try and pair together for synergy than those two guys. I could see both of those guys having solid careers apart but having them together is likely going to lead an awful offense.

Interesting points. I think Luka would fit really well. One of them playing PG the whole game. 10-12 mins per game together.

I want to see what Dunn and LaVine do together. I think they could help each other if Dunn can make 3s off ball and LaVine can open the court and take away defensive pressure.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1302 » by GimmeDat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 am

DanTown8587 wrote:If we're calling Dunn/Lavine to the level of leading a team like Lillard/McCollum, I'll just be done. Good luck on that rebuild. Should have just stayed away.

No one said that.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1303 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 am

madvillian wrote:Lavine is the perfect fit next to Dunn. A lot of guys are good fits next to Dunn. Dunn is able to guard the opponent's best back court player while being a primary ball handler. A athletic shooter and finisher like Lavine that isn't necesarrily a willing or gifted defender will benefit from expending less energy on D while getting easy buckets in transition.

(The Bulls actually looked pretty athletic last night...)

Dunn's PER is up to 14.1 and he's trending up while in a perfect learning situation. These games where he's "the man" at the end is only going to help him. Look how CJ and Lilliard played off each other last night. It's not about "taking turns" as much as having more than one good option down the stretch.

He's moved the error bar on any projections from "could possibly be a solid role player or out of the league in 3 years" to "could possibly be an all star, floor is at solid backup PG in 3 years".

Where's a good clapping gif? I'm clapping for this kid. Keep it coming.

I’m clapping too. Happy for the kid. He has a long ways to go though. He is starting get consistent and confident.

More than one good option is key. Lauri and Dunn did it well down the stretch against the Knicks. Add LaVine and I think we get even more difficult to defend.
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#1304 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 am

Rerisen wrote:
Chi town wrote:One summer later and Thibs looks like he gave the farm with Dunn included for Jimmy.

This is a crazy position at this time. Massively premature at minimum.

All that has happened to this point is Lauri has matched his pick position with solid play, and Dunn has -with great relief- at least stopped playing at a bust level where he was last year. But still has a long ways to go to be a good player. While LaVine hasn't even stepped on the floor. If that is your bar for getting 'the farm' its a embarrassingly low bar.

The Bulls need to get an All-Star at minimum out of the deal IMO, likely multiple if they are low level ones, for it even to be a good value, let alone, a deal that we could be said to have won. We are nowhere close to be able to assume that.

As if Dunn, Lavine, and Lauri, merely end up various degrees of starting players, but not stars, well getting 3 starters in return for a borderline superstar like Jimmy is not good value for rebuilding from ground zero, or certainly not unless you already have a superstar or get one somewhere else. As it would set you up for treadmill hell. To build an eventual serious contender we are likely going to need 3 elite talents, with one being a legit superstar. You have to get 1 or 2 of those future elite talents when you blow it up by giving up your current franchise player in his prime.

There is no well grounded prediction at this point in time that any of these three are going to be multiple time All-Stars. It's possible, but head scratching to suggest its obvious, or even more likely than not right now.

Great post, and I agree with all of it... except the one bolded sentence. And it's a minor complaint.

IMO, Lauri has pretty much exceeded his draft position. The draft was supposed to be one of those "great" ones, with Fultz and Ball allegedly generational superstar talents.

Lauri's play has far exceeded theirs of course, and I think that at this moment, Lauri would probably be about #5 in ROY voting.

Simmons
Mitchell
Kuzma
Tatum
Lauri

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/12/09/2017-18-nba-rookie-year-ladder-week-8-power-rankings/7/

That puts Lauri at #4 in his draft, which seems fair so far.

Certainly some of that has to do with Ball and Fultz pretty much sucking and not playing so far.

Not that it means very much in the actual "where would you rank the draft", but Lauri has certainly exceeded the expectations of most on this board. Of course, a lot that has to do with all the "We should have taken DSJ" that was expressed after the draft, and has been just plain bad. And "bad" is being kind.

Like you, I'm certainly not sure that Lauri or Dunn or Lavine are an elite, generational talent, right now I'd bet against generational easily. They certainly have All-Star level potential, and I might just take 4 or 5 consistent All-Stars over 1 generational, 1 All-Star, and 3 pretty good players.

Folks should just sit back and enjoy the ride... Dunn has completely blown me away with his improvement over the last 3-4 weeks, and Lauri has been outstanding before hitting the rookie wall, and then this weekend after seemingly overcoming the wall. But it's waaaaaaay too early to say anything more than that.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1305 » by kingkirk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 am

DanTown8587 wrote:If we're calling Dunn/Lavine to the level of leading a team like Lillard/McCollum, I'll just be done. Good luck on that rebuild. Should have just stayed away.

You're getting annoyed and not actually reading what I wrote.

They're not that now. They may never be. I said as a tandem, their best case scenario may prove to be an effective backcourt like that, where each player is just outside an All-Star spot.

That's not an unreasonable position to have, assuming they both reach their peak.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#1306 » by Shill » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Kris Dunn needs the Bulls to take Doncic or some other main guard/wing and let said new guy be the main distributor on a team or else Dunn is going to flame out in this league. At the PG spot, it's very hard to be a good offense if the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of the time isn't a dynamic scorer or creator. Look around the league, tell me a good offense outside of the Spurs system where they're a good offense but the main creator of the team is fairly mundane scorer and distributor. If Kris Dunn was playing a role ala Nwaba where he was energy, defense, secondary creation, and streaky shooting I'd say you have a future starter in this league. But at the PG spot, on any traditionally based team, Dunn's lack of creation and offensive height is a problem. He's solid at those things but he's not showing "lead guy on a good team" level play. This always becomes the hardest part of evaluating what you have on a bad team and trying to project out to the future.

It will be interesting to see how he handles Lavine coming back and how Lavine handles playing next to him because I can't think of two worse guys to try and pair together for synergy than those two guys. I could see both of those guys having solid careers apart but having them together is likely going to lead an awful offense.

Eh, this seems like a reach.

There has to be a reasonable medium between superstar and flame-out.

Mike Conley?

Why can’t Dunn be a 16-ish PER Point Guard who stuffs the stat sheet and plays great defense?

Also, I feel like you’re selling him short as a distributor. He’s not Chris Paul, but he has pretty good vision and spreads it around well. He’s also cut down on the silly turnovers a bit lately.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1307 » by kingkirk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:48 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Half the god damn league could be classified as this then.

Step 1 - Identify a core
Step 2 - Build around it

Until step 1 is done, step 2 should not preclude you from anything. Kris Dunn even as a starter is a poor starter considering the depth of the position. Who cares then? I don't really care if some guy's ceiling is "below league average starter".

Based on what?

What he's actually doing now, or what he can be if he maintains this level of play?

I'm only talking about the latter, projecting what he could be. I made the comment about Dunn being a starting level player if he can do what he's doing now over a consistent basis. It sounds like you're talking about what he is now. Cool. I'm not. And yes, Dunn right now isn't a good starting level player. I wasn't saying that!

You're seeing what you want to see in my post without actually comprehending it.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#1308 » by waffle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 am

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
Chi town wrote:One summer later and Thibs looks like he gave the farm with Dunn included for Jimmy.

All that has happened to this point is Lauri has matched his pick position with solid play, and Dunn has -with great relief- at least stopped playing at a bust level where he was last year. But still has a long ways to go to be a good player. While LaVine hasn't even stepped on the floor. If that is your bar for getting 'the farm' its a embarrassingly low bar.

The Bulls need to get an All-Star at minimum out of the deal IMO, likely multiple if they are low level ones, for it even to be a good value, let alone, a deal that we could be said to have won. We are nowhere close to be able to assume that.

As if Dunn, Lavine, and Lauri, merely end up various degrees of starting players, but not stars, well getting 3 starters in return for a borderline superstar like Jimmy is not good value for rebuilding from ground zero, or certainly not unless you already have a superstar or get one somewhere else. As it would set you up for treadmill hell. To build an eventual serious contender we are likely going to need 3 elite talents, with one being a legit superstar. You have to get 1 or 2 of those future elite talents when you blow it up by giving up your current franchise player in his prime.

There is no well grounded prediction at this point in time that any of these three are going to be multiple time All-Stars. It's possible, but head scratching to suggest its obvious, or even more likely than not right now.

Great post, and I agree with all of it... except the one bolded sentence. And it's a minor complaint.

IMO, Lauri has pretty much exceeded his draft position. The draft was supposed to be one of those "great" ones, with Fultz and Ball allegedly generational superstar talents.

Lauri's play has far exceeded theirs of course, and I think that at this moment, Lauri would probably be about #5 in ROY voting.

Simmons
Mitchell
Kuzma
Tatum
Lauri

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/12/09/2017-18-nba-rookie-year-ladder-week-8-power-rankings/7/

Certainly some of that has to do with Ball and Fultz pretty much sucking and not playing so far.

Not that it means very much in the actual "where would you rank the draft", but Lauri has certainly exceeded the expectations of most on this board. Of course, a lot that has to do with all the "We should have taken DSJ" that was expressed after the draft, and has been just plain bad. And "bad" is being kind.

Like you, I'm certainly not sure that Lauri or Dunn or Lavine are an elite, generational talent, right now I'd bet against generational easily. They certainly have All-Star level potential, and I might just take 4 or 5 consistent All-Stars over 1 generational, 1 All-Star, and 3 pretty good players.

Folks should just sit back and enjoy the ride... Dunn has completely blown me away with his improvement over the last 3-4 weeks, and Lauri has been outstanding before hitting the rookie wall, and then this weekend after seemingly overcoming the wall. But it's waaaaaaay too early to say anything more than that.

But you have to play the POTENTIAL game in the nba, more than any other team sport.

we traded a known quantity for 3, maybe 4 (count the next draft pick which will be higher due to our suckage) for Jimmy. That gives us a CHANCE if our FO gets it right (hold the abuse please) and our existing players learn to play together and meet, or at least get close, to their ceilings. That plus one good FA signing and we are suddenly a very good team.

But again POTENTIALLY. You try to put a team together that has the POTENTIAL.

If I had to put 2 standard deviations on how many wins I thought the bulls might have 3 years from now I might have it at 55-60 wins. The mean? Maybe 40? But the high variability due to the high level of uncertainty/potential = a big range.

We complain about being in mediocrity hell. What we have here is a very real response to mediocrity hell
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1309 » by Jcool0 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 am

Mark K wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:Half the god damn league could be classified as this then.

Step 1 - Identify a core
Step 2 - Build around it

Until step 1 is done, step 2 should not preclude you from anything. Kris Dunn even as a starter is a poor starter considering the depth of the position. Who cares then? I don't really care if some guy's ceiling is "below league average starter".

Based on what?

What he's actually doing now, or what he can be if he maintains this level of play?

I'm only talking about the latter, projecting what he could be. I made the comment about Dunn being a starting level player if he can do what he's doing now over a consistent basis. It sounds like you're talking about what he is now. Cool. I'm not. And yes, Dunn right now isn't a good starting level player. I wasn't saying that!

You're seeing what you want to see in my post without actually comprehending it.

Actually he is.

Read on Twitter
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1310 » by kingkirk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 am

Jcool0 wrote:Actually he is.

Read on Twitter

I’m going to need to see more than a 7 game sample before one can justifiably throw out the ‘well actually’.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#1311 » by Truebiscuit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 am

Mark K wrote:

Read on Twitter

I’m going to need to see more than a 7 game sample before one can justifiably throw out the ‘well actually’.

Then look at his season numbers, although I'm sure you'll find a way to nit pick that as well

#TS%
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#1312 » by waffle » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 am

new team. New responsibilities. Working on his shot. what we are seeing is a product of those factors. No chance he was going to be an effective player right out of the gate. So, yes, I would say his performance as of late IS more indicative of who he is as a player.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1313 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 am

So if Dunn had shown what he has shown over the past 15 games for the Bulls... would he still be in MIN?
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1314 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:31 am

Mark K wrote:

Read on Twitter

Of course he needs to show this over a 40 game sample size at least.

Of all the NBA PG's right now I would take 11 of them over Dunn right this moment based on current play... not tanking, playoff winning etc.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/position/point-guards
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter

Post#1315 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Rerisen wrote:I think Dunn's Turnover problem is probably something that is a bit overlooked, or under appreciated in holding him back from making a higher offensive impact.

A turnover is much worse than a missed shot, because of the increased likelihood of the opponent to score on it.

Right now at 4.0 per 36, Dunn is 8th in the league in turnovers per minute, among 20 minute or higher players. Now there are some great players that turn it over a similar amount like Harden, LeBron and Westbrook, but obviously they are bringing massive scoring and other production, and in the former 2, massively efficient scoring to their team, to make up and overcome that.

Dunn can't look to his scoring to offset his turnovers, because his scoring has also been a negative overall, though he's been getting better with it lately.

So the fact that he's done a solid job passing the ball to his teammates, just hasn't been enough to offset the other bigger negatives in his offensive game.

Imo, Dunn becoming a better play maker is how he offsets the issue as a whole.

If he can improve his assist to turnover ratio, we can start to live with the TOs.

Well, you don't need to score 30 a game to live with 4 TOs, Kidd and Rondo averaged about 4 a game without scoring a lot. Of course, they averaged 10-12 assists instead...

And yes, a live-ball TO is probably worse than a missed shot, because I'm sure the stats show that opponents score more off live-ball turnovers than missed shots.

But a traveling, or charging, or pass out-of-bounds dead-ball TO is better than a missed shot for your defense.

Having said that...

You'd rather miss a shot than have a dead-ball TO, because 20-25% of the time, you'll keep the ball with an offensive rebound.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,672

Post#1316 » by Dez » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 am

Poor mans Westbrook with less finishing touch but more game awareness/smarter?
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter

Post#1317 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:08 am

waffle wrote:
ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

Simmons
Mitchell
Kuzma
Tatum
Lauri

But you have to play the POTENTIAL game in the nba, more than any other team sport.

we traded a known quantity for 3, maybe 4 (count the next draft pick which will be higher due to our suckage) for Jimmy. That gives us a CHANCE if our FO gets it right (hold the abuse please) and our existing players learn to play together and meet, or at least get close, to their ceilings. That plus one good FA signing and we are suddenly a very good team.

But again POTENTIALLY. You try to put a team together that has the POTENTIAL.

If I had to put 2 standard deviations on how many wins I thought the bulls might have 3 years from now I might have it at 55-60 wins. The mean? Maybe 40? But the high variability due to the high level of uncertainty/potential = a big range.

We complain about being in mediocrity hell. What we have here is a very real response to mediocrity hell

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that in the NBA, if you want to rebuild, it's all about POTENTIAL because the kids you're drafting with the most talent are 19-year-olds.

And while I was 100% against the rebuild, I couldn't possibly be happier with how it's gone so far. I accepted the rebuild about 5 minutes after the trade, because it was either "deal with it" or "become one of those bitter guys that hate the front office and would be fine if we fail miserably if it means GarPaxBerg lose their jobs".

Dunn has literally shocked me with the improvement he's shown over the last 3-4 weeks, I can't believe how much better he looks now than he did in SL and the first 8 games back from injury. Obviously it's easily explainable, he missed SL last year, had a coach that has never cared to develop rookies, missed most of SL this year, and then got injured in preseason and missed games.

But even accounting for all those reasons he sucked his first 8 games as a Bull, I am still shocked with how (dare I say) great he has looked (in comparison). I knew nothing about him (with my own eyes) from college or Thibs, but I can't believe what an amazing defender he already is. And I'm no member of the "he's not a rookie and he's over 21, he can't get much better", but the progress he's shows is just stunning.

To the point where I could easily see him being an All-Star in a few years. He has too shoot way too much now, and he doesn't have much to pass the ball to, but a little more progress and he's going to be a stud in this league - especially when you also factor in his amazing defense.

I don't care what anyone says, in my eyes he's already close to All-Defense level on that end of the floor. AND it looks like he's going to be one of the best defensive rebounding PGs in the league, which is huge. It's much easier to fast break when your PG starts the possession with the ball in his hands.

1 more thing, my "not wanting to rebuild" was almost solely based on 2 games last season, the first 2 games of the BOS series. We kicked their asses, on the road, because we had Rondo who is built for the playoffs. Until he was announced as injured, after those 2 games, even the "experts" had us winning that series easily, many said we'd wind up sweeping them because they no answer for us (and a hobbled Thomas, of course).

We win that series and get to play Cleveland - who we downright dominated and embarassed the last few regular seasons - who knows what happens.

We almost certainly don't beat them in a 7-game series, but who knows? We were obviously all up in their heads.

And I don't have a problem with a 45 win team with veterans who step it up 2 notches in the playoffs.

And who knows, even keeping Wade and Rondo (who we could have cut and re-signed cheaper IMHO) we had close to max cap space and the #16 pick - and maybe Kyrie demands a trade to play with his boy Jimmy?

But it all worked out for the best, our future looks much, much, much brighter now than it did even after those 2 playoff wins. I can't see a scenario where I could be happier standing pat than I currently am with the rebuild.
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter

Post#1318 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 am

Rerisen wrote:Kris Dunn potential to be a cross between Jason Kidd and John Wall.

Better defender than Wall, but not as athletic.

Not as good a passer as Kidd, but also good defender, that fills up the box score. While showing some similar dichotomy between high 3pt shooting but lesser overall efficiency.

Though Kris has been efficient of late, that can hopefully become permanent.

Great post.

He's already as good, and probably better, than Wall on the defensive end.

But even the amazing numbers he's put up in the last 7 games aren't very close to Kidd or Wall offensively. That's where he needs to improve quite a bit. A lot. A hell of a lot.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#1319 » by Chi town » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 am

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, in my eyes he's already close to All-Defense level on that end of the floor. AND it looks like he's going to be one of the best defensive rebounding PGs in the league, which is huge. It's much easier to fast break when your PG starts the possession with the ball in his hands.

I also would love to have a stat for "turnovers caused." I know this is way to subjective and will never be a stat but I have been watching and counting and Dunn averages between 2-3 of these a game... that will never show in the box score. His D still has a good amount of room to improve too... he can stop fouling early in the game... he can keep better track of his man and not get backdoored or leave his man and then give up an open 3.

I'm confident he will keep improving.

Dunn and Nwaba could be downright scary. I could see a good closing lineup of Dunn Lavine Nwaba Lauri Niko.
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter

Post#1320 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 am

Rerisen wrote:Going to the Minny board is like stepping into a parallel universe. Their take is like patting Dunn on the head that at least he looks like he'll stick in the NBA, but might have to hope to become a Marcus Smart or Tony Allen type specialist.

Meanwhile in Chicago, people are comparing moves of his to Michael Jordan, and mentioning names like Wall, Rose and Westbrook.

Obviously one or both of these narratives will be woefully wrong. Somewhere in the middle is probably the safe bet.

In their defense, I'm assuming they don't watch all 48 of each Bulls game, just like the overwhelming majority of us don't watch all 48 of each Thibswolves game.

Though I have no doubt there are almost certainly 1 or 2 Bulls fans who have seen more MIN than CHI this season... not that there's anything wrong with that, it's their right as an American. (I can't speak for our non-American compadres, I'm not familiar with their respective countries' Bill Of Rights)

I don't have a problem with anyone mentioning MJ, Wall or Westbrook, because nobody really knows what kind of inner drive to be a superstar and personal work ethic Dunn has. Yeah, there's about a Billion to 1 chance he's MJ, and close to a Million to 1 he's Wall or Westbrook... but who really knows?

MJ wasn't really close to MJ playing for Dean Smith (the only person outside of Dan Dakich who could hold him under 20 points). Westbrook certainly wasn't Westbrook at UCLA, and Wall wasn't Wall at UK (because he was playing with Cousins and Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson).

And let's not forget that Dunn still hasn't played 2,000 NBA minutes... NBA Wall wasn't Wall and NBA Russ wasn't Russ in their first 2,000 NBA minutes. But yeah, see the aforementioned odds of Dunn getting there, very, very few guys do.

Hell, for that matter, NBA MJ wasn't MJ the first 2/3 of his rookie season (when he hit 2,000 minutes).

Even his 2nd full season, he "only" had a 29.8 PER and a .562 TS% and an 8.6 BPM.

It's comical to say "only", just because full seasons 3-7 his PER was 31+, his TS% was .603+ and his BPM was 12.2, 12.6, 10.6 and 10.8

Return to Chicago Bulls