Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA : 2017/18 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Re: Around the NBA : Off season edition 

Post#1401 » by fleet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am

Dan Z wrote:
fleet wrote:
Nurkic hmmmm

Are you suggesting The Bulls go after him in 2018?

Nurkic, Porter, Lauri (IDK where Niko is) sounds like it has some good potential. Contract rules are over my level of understanding. If poison pills are still able to he used etc. Or awkward to match offers if you will, an interesting question. I don't like the idea of paying Lavine a mega contract right now. Maybe my mind will change this year we will see.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1402 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:35 am

I like Nurk and would weigh both he and Noel up in RFA, IF we draft Doncic. Probably lean further towards Nurkic, actually.

If we take a big I'm not interested in spending that money when our front-court will be set for the future anyway, though.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#1403 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 am

Investing big $$$ in Bigs is just not a smart strategy these days.

Big time pass on Nurkic.

Noel I could perhaps be talked into. I expect Noel's market will be a bit soft (Biyombo territory), and I could be talked into that.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1404 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 am

Here's a name I haven't seen mentioned - Elfrid Payton. If we take a big in the draft, perhaps Payton might be worth having a crack at in RFA if Dunn and Grant don't improve.

Obviously the big issue is the lack of a jumpshot, but other than that I think he's a great compliment to someone like LaVine in the back-court. Good size, great passer, rebounder, driver, defender.

Having a PG that isn't a good shooter in this league is a big concern, but if you're PF and SG are elite shooters (LaVine/Lauri), and your C can shoot it (Bagley/Ayton are good shooters), and your SF is alright, it should work out.

Not necessarily advocating for him but just exploring the idea of someone we haven't really brought up.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#1405 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 am

GimmeDat wrote:Here's a name I haven't seen mentioned - Elfrid Payton. If we take a big in the draft, perhaps Payton might be worth having a crack at in RFA if Dunn and Grant don't improve.

Obviously the big issue is the lack of a jumpshot, but other than that I think he's a great compliment to someone like LaVine in the back-court. Good size, great passer, rebounder, driver, defender.

Having a PG that isn't a good shooter in this league is a big concern, but if you're PF and SG are elite shooters (LaVine/Lauri), and your C can shoot it (Bagley/Ayton are good shooters), and your SF is alright, it should work out.

Not necessarily advocating for him but just exploring the idea of someone we haven't really brought up.

NBA becoming a place where you can only have one bad shooter on the floor
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Post#1406 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Investing big $$$ in Bigs is just not a smart strategy these days.

Big time pass on Nurkic.

Noel I could perhaps be talked into. I expect Noel's market will be a bit soft (Biyombo territory), and I could be talked into that.

Exactly. Plus we've already invested heavily in bigs with Lauri and Felicio and to lesser degrees Rolo and Niko. Not to mention Bobby.

Bigger (6'7'' -6'9'') wings and a play making point guard are what we need. Unfortunately those are the most valuable and toughest to obtain commodities in the game. Guys like Robert Covington and Rodney Hood could be interesting targets, but they are also primed to be overpaid.

Ultimately we'd be wise to use our cap space as leverage to acquire non-cap assets (i.e. draft picks) until we have a core that is one or two players away. Kind of like how the Sixers and Celtics have operated. Young players, value contracts and draft picks until then.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#1407 » by Dan Z » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 am

fleet wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
fleet wrote:
Nurkic hmmmm

Nurkic, Porter, Lauri (IDK where Niko is) sounds like it has some good potential. Contract rules are over my level of understanding. If poison pills are still able to he used etc. Or awkward to match offers if you will, an interesting question. I don't like the idea of paying Lavine a mega contract right now. Maybe my mind will change this year we will see.

Nurkic is someone I wanted the FO to trade for last season, so I'm on board with signing him (But, of course, my mind could change depending on how he does this season).

I think Nurkic, Donic and Lauri would be a great start to the rebuild. I also agree with you about LaVine. He has potential but I'd like to see how he recovers from his injury and how he plays with the team before deciding on him.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#1408 » by nomorezorro » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter

guy we liked in the draft who went on to suck in the league...that's right in our wheelhouse baby
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#1409 » by Payt10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I kinda liked him coming out of college. :-?
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#1410 » by DuckIII » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Investing big $$$ in Bigs is just not a smart strategy these days.

Big time pass on Nurkic.

It depends on what "bigs" we're talking about, but yeah I generally agree with you there.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#1411 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Payt10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I kinda liked him coming out of college. :-?

He must REALLY be sucking hard with a bad attitude in my opinion. 1 season and only 21 is a quick hook.

I still think its way too early. Last year's draft class may have had the worst collective stats for draft choices in like the last 20 years.

The fact that Embiid would have won it in a landslide in just 31 games if it wasnt for politics tells the story. Brogdon will be the Mike Miller of ROYs.

I wouldnt drop him if I were the Grizz
The Cult of Personality
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#1412 » by MC3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:42 pm

I liked Baldwin coming from college majority of year. I saw him exactly what he is. 3 and D combo guard who would need some time to become full time pg given his handle wasnt great at time and wasnt exactly most explosive player. And at time looked bit robotic. He was 6'3, good body with 6'10 wingspan. He could shoot, he had wingspan and arm size to basically palm basketball.

But slowly as draft was nearing I was on Dejounte's bandwagon. I heard about his possible demeanor problem during draft workouts. Still, giving up one year after draft? Didnt expect that.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#1413 » by realEAST » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Dan Z wrote:
fleet wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Nurkic is someone I wanted the FO to trade for last season, so I'm on board with signing him (But, of course, my mind could change depending on how he does this season).

I think Nurkic, Donic and Lauri would be a great start to the rebuild. I also agree with you about LaVine. He has potential but I'd like to see how he recovers from his injury and how he plays with the team before deciding on him.

No poison pills, I think they are limited to players who expire in 2nd year from being drafted - so, 2nd round picks on 2 year rookie deals, with no bird rights.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#1414 » by realEAST » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Btw, I'd gladly take chance on Baldwin
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#1415 » by dumbell78 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Pop I love you but I'm confused. Extending Aldridge?
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1416 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm

He's not as high profile as Baldwin or Felder, but Zagorac was the other guy dropped from the Grizzlies, before even playing a game as a rookie. 2nd rounder, sure, but he was pretty nice coming in to the 2016 draft and came from the same club as Zubac, Luwawu, etc. overseas.

If you don't think Podexter will get/stay healthy Zagorac is an SF option that's only 22.

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#1417 » by Dan Z » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 am

I'm not suggesting we get him, but Jameer Nelson was just cut by the Nuggets.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/jameer-nelson-waived-by-nuggets/
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1418 » by Payt10 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:11 am

Dan Z wrote:I'm not suggesting we get him, but Jameer Nelson was just cut by the Nuggets.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/jameer-nelson-waived-by-nuggets/

Too late now with the Felder pick up, but my first thought when I saw he got cut was that he'd be a good vet to have on the bench with these young guys.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1419 » by Payt10 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:39 am

By the way, why the heck is Aldridge signing an extension with the Spurs? Didn't he want out last year?
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#1420 » by dumbell78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:45 am

Payt10 wrote:By the way, why the heck is Aldridge signing an extension with the Spurs? Didn't he want out last year?

Cause he wasn't sniffing 70+ million anytime soon from any other team. I don't get what SAS are thinking.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes

Return to Chicago Bulls