Image ImageImage Image

Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#41 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Hezonja was not playing like Rubio, Doncic, or even Bargnani was in their respective leagues.

There are international players who are busts and American players who are busts. It happens. Playing international basketball does not put you at a disadvantage, especially if you're playing in Liga ACB like Doncic is. The only disadvantage is that fans here stereotype every international player as the same player.

Fair enough but I'm talking about the hype that was surrounding him. But again you're somewhat right that towards his time to enter he was not being hyped but he was years before the draft.

How so when again the NBA is in America (except the raptors) and a lot of the prospects are also in America. GMs literally can fly a few states to go watch a kid and keep tabs on him versus a kid in a entirely different country. But let's say I'm wrong then what's the explanation for the disparity between Americans and European players getting drafted? I'm not saying the euro competition is weaker never even tried to discredit them in that way I only bring up convenience.

Also yes they get lumped in a category because that's how the world works. When you see a ton more of one side than the other then of course you assume at least a bit off past history. For example white players get lumped as shooters and black players as athletes because we've seen just that so many times. Stereotypes come with the game no matter who you are. Look at ACL injuries we treat that like it's a death sentence in basketball despite the fact that you can come back from it. Once you tear it EVERYONE assumes you'll never be the same.

Just because stereotypes are available, doesn't mean you should succumb to them. Every case is different.

I think we all agree that America has the best basketball players in the world. The disparity is obvious and will never be disputed. But you shouldn't disqualify a player because he hasn't developed in this country. He should be evaluated like every other prospect is.

Most definitely I agree, but sadly not everyone who makes those decisions with drafting thinks like that. Which is the only reason I said there is even an disadvantage because no matter how bad stereotyping is it's going to happen.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#42 » by Jcool0 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 pm

diebieber wrote:Bagley is the next...who? He's a 6'11 player, similar size to Markkanen. Does he play a different position or something? Can anyone compare his game to an NBA player? I keep reading the word versatility. So versatility like KD or AD?

Lamar Odom
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#43 » by BahamaBull » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Bandit King wrote:Looks like a good draft! Bulls probaly will select that Euro dude Doncic though. Bulls love foregners that can shoot.

They also love euros that CANT shoot...

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#44 » by DuckIII » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:17 pm

ESPN released their first mock for 2018 and it has a couple of guys ahead of Bamba:

1. Michael Porter
2. Marvin Bagley
3. DeAndre Ayton
4. Luka Doncic
5. Robert Williams
6. Miles Bridges

7. Mohamed Bamba

I don't know anything about Williams.

Porter is still #1. I know its just watching internet videos, but Porter just doesn't jump out at me. Yeah, he's really tall, can shoot, and has an okay handle, but when I watch him I just don't see "superstar franchise player." I don't know. I probably need to see more of him.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#45 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 pm

DuckIII wrote:ESPN released their first mock for 2018 and it has a couple of guys ahead of Bamba:

1. Michael Porter
2. Marvin Bagley
3. DeAndre Ayton
4. Luka Doncic
5. Robert Williams
6. Miles Bridges

7. Mohamed Bamba

Porter is still #1. I know its just watching internet videos, but Porter just doesn't jump out at me. Yeah, he's really tall, can shoot, and has an okay handle, but when I watch him I just don't see "superstar franchise player." I don't know. I probably need to see more of him.
You're not wrong. Porter doesn't have the ball skills of a superstar. He has the size and shooting ability of one, but to really buy into his upside, he's going to have to show he's a high level player off the dribble.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#46 » by DuckIII » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
DuckIII wrote:ESPN released their first mock for 2018 and it has a couple of guys ahead of Bamba:

1. Michael Porter
2. Marvin Bagley
3. DeAndre Ayton
4. Luka Doncic
5. Robert Williams
6. Miles Bridges

7. Mohamed Bamba

You're not wrong. Porter doesn't have the ball skills of a superstar. He has the size and shooting ability of one, but to really buy into his upside, he's going to have to show he's a high level player off the dribble.

He also does not appear, to me, to be elitely athletic. Not that you have to be. Doncic certainly isn't. But Doncic's other skills are so extraordinary it, in theory, makes up for it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#47 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 pm

DuckIII wrote:He also does not appear, to me, to be elitely athletic. Not that you have to be. Doncic certainly isn't. But Doncic's other skills are so extraordinary it, in theory, makes up for it.

You're right, in high school footage he doesn't look like a high-level athlete, though not a bad one by any means.

I get why he's a big deal, but when he's compared to Durant and similar caliber players, I get confused. I remember how effortless Durant made scoring and shooting look in high school and college, and Porter isn't close to that.
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#48 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 am

Bridges will 100% be an NBA stud. His "potential" will hold him back
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#49 » by GimmeDat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 am

My top 5 is like this right now -

Bagley
Doncic
Porter
Ayton
Bamba

But it's really fluid at this stage, obviously. Ayton can definitely push up, and I've seen a bit of Bamba in his pre-season games and am impressed with his offensive game a bit more than I was before. The guys beyond this point are very up in the air as well, so much so that I won't even bother trying to list them. I do think Robert Williams will drop a bit from where he's listed in a lot of places right now, though.
leo921
Senior
And1: 216

Post#50 » by leo921 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Just wanted to give some draft thoughts on top prospects and there fits with us, also a question on a draft trade.

Porter - looks smooth athelic can dunk hit a 3. want to see him in more pick and rolls, better ball handling and shot creation.
Think him, lavine, markkeann can be a good offense, spacing shooting and slashing. We would have problems on D, would need to hire the best D asst in league.

Ayton - 7ft center, 7-6 wingspan can post, hit a 3, rebounds and block shots. Needs to work on his D and motor but we will see how he does in college. I think he would be a great fit, can play 4 out or 5 out lots of space for slashing and shooting and can get buckets down low. He would bring out the best in Lavine and Markkeann.

Bamba - over 7ft 7-9 wingspan, cross between Deandre Jordan and Mutombo. Amazing shot blocker and defender but no offense and I mean none. Is thin unless it is a dunk has no offense, will get pushed around. If we add him will help D but have 2 bigs who are only good on one end ( Bamba D, Markkeann O)

Doncic - 6-8 PG in the NBA will play SG/SF. Reminds me of Gordon Hayward but he is a much better ball handler, pick and roll, shot creator, hits 3 at a good rate. Think he will be an average defender but would get destroyed by Lebron or Durant. He would be a great fit between Him and Lavine you got two guys who can get there own shots or create for others whenever they want. Would bring out the best in everyone.

Bagley - 6-11 thin very athelic can grab a rebound get to the other end and finish. very left hand dominant can finish inside can hit a outside shot but inconsistent. I think his college year is going to show us a lot can either see him in the Bosh/KG mold or a Darius Miles bust very boom or bust

Who do you want and why?
One more question lets say we get a top 2 pick, NY has pick 10. They offer Porzingis for our pick straight up do you take it?
Think Porzingis would be amazing with us him Markkeann and Lavine could be the beginning of a new developing top team get a good FA or two and it's lift off.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#51 » by JimmyJammer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 am

Players to watch besides the big five:
There is perhaps too much hype surrounding a number of prospects preparing to enter the 2018NBA draft. For five of them, it's premature or unwarranted.

Even at a young age, tools and athleticism shouldn't automatically equate to upside.

These players each have weaknesses that can really hold them back if not corrected. They're all considered lottery talents, but don't Sharpie them in there just yet.

And we're not looking to call out analysts for overzealous takes 10 months before the draft, but rather using select glowing observations as representative of the general narrative surrounding a player. 

Trevon Duval (Duke, PG, Freshman)Gregory Payan/Associated Press

Scout.com's No. 2 point guard of the 2018 recruiting class, a spotlight role in Duke's backcourt, tools and athleticism that scream NBA—the bar is high for Trevon Duval.

It should be lowered. Duval isn't nearly as polished as 2017's top 10 guards.

ESPN's Jonathan Givony pegged him as the No. 11 pick in 2018. But his jumper could draw red flags. He shoots a hard ball, whereas a player like Sacramento Kings rookie De'Aaron Fox, who also struggles from outside but still went No. 5 overall, has a softer, more fluid stroke that creates hope and optimism over its potential to improve.

Though Duval is capable of hitting open shots, over the years, we've seen a lot more unconfident releases and bad misses.

His floor game also needs work. Distributing comes second for Duval. The fact that he's more of a score-first ball-handler, but isn't a shooter, is unsettling.

There is obvious appeal tied to Duval's speed, length and explosiveness for the position. But expect a weak assist-to-turnover ratio and ugly three-point percentage to hold him back and raise concerns about his NBA potential.

Robert Williams (Texas A&M, PF/C, Sophomore)Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

Expectations are high for Robert Williams after he'dearned NBA scouts' attention coming off Texas A&M's bench.

He did it mostly with athletic plays around the rim—explosive finishes, emphatic rejections, putbacks and boards. His terrific physical tools and bounce hint at exciting upside for NBA coaches to unlock.

But to be considered as one of the top prospects in the country—presumably the goal after he'd passed on the chance to go in last year's lottery—Williams has a ton of ground to make up skill-wise.

He wasn't an advanced post scorer or a threat to face up and make a move. And he shot 2-of-18 from three and 59 percent at the free-throw line.

Williams the lob target, rebounder and shot-blocker is easy to buy. Williams the scoring threat is less believable. Buzz about him being a top pick is premature.

Kevin Knox (Kentucky, SF/PF, Freshman)Sam Forencich/Getty Images

High-profile Kentucky recruits have made a habit of becoming one-and-done high pick. Just don't bank on Kevin Knox to follow.

Viewed by some as a lottery talent, including Sporting News' Sean Deveney and CBS Sports' Reid Forgrave, there are questions about his preference for the perimeter and whether he's sharp enough to play there. Knox has a tendency to settle for hero jump shots and hasn't proved to be a reliable three-point shooter.

There isn't much wiggle in his off-the-dribble game, either, nor is he a threat to create for teammates.

A power forward with a wing's mind and thin 209-pound frame, Knox could have trouble scoring efficiently and may need more than a year to adjust and reshape his game. He isn't a lock to light up college basketball or the NBA radar right away.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2728150-2018-nba-draft-are-these-highly-regarded-prospects-overhyped.amp.html

Return to Chicago Bulls