Image ImageImage Image

Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#21 » by Lexluthor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:49 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:Lavarr was meant as a joke, but I want a kid who has been thru the circuit.
Whoever we draft Lavarr should know about and have a take on.

I don't want another euro raised kid that has to learn basketball AND another culture (like Niko).

I want a least a year of NCAA highlights/low lights to look at and preferrably some tournament action to see how the prospect performs in hostile arenas and playing a few games in a few nights.

What makes you think that an international player has to learn basketball? NCAA is not higher competition than what Doncic is facing.

Mirotic's problem hasn't been adjusting to a new culture or needing to learn basketball.

NCAA prepares you more for the NBA than the Euroleague . Look how many stars College Basketball produce vs the
Euroleague. The euroleague does not produce alot of Superstars like college ball does .
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#22 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 am

Lexluthor wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:Lavarr was meant as a joke, but I want a kid who has been thru the circuit.
Whoever we draft Lavarr should know about and have a take on.

I don't want another euro raised kid that has to learn basketball AND another culture (like Niko).

I want a least a year of NCAA highlights/low lights to look at and preferrably some tournament action to see how the prospect performs in hostile arenas and playing a few games in a few nights.

What makes you think that an international player has to learn basketball? NCAA is not higher competition than what Doncic is facing.

Mirotic's problem hasn't been adjusting to a new culture or needing to learn basketball.

NCAA prepares you more for the NBA than the Euroleague . Look how many stars College Basketball produce vs the
Euroleague. The euroleague does not produce alot of Superstars like college ball does .

There are not as many international players who enter the NBA Draft. Thats just sample size more than preparation.

The NCAA is not tougher than Liga ACB. Is it a bigger stage? Absolutely.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#23 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:16 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

There are not as many international players who enter the NBA Draft. Thats just sample size more than preparation.

That's true but a lot of the ones who do enter are always touted as one of the best players or potentially great in their league. I'm not saying euroleague guys can't be great but it doesn't help when guys like Mario, niko, and others come over and don't reach that potential.

Also hard for them when NCAA is more convenient for watching and meeting players.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#24 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

Bandit King wrote:Looks like a good draft! Bulls probaly will select that Euro dude Doncic though. Bulls love foregners that can shoot.

Luka can shoot yes, but his BB IQ, court vision, playmaking abilities ,passing and extra maturity at age 18,sets him apart and above others. Mirotic isnt even close to what Luka is...
European championship is coming,where Luka will show once again vs best euro players what he is capable of..
Even now in friendly games, he is showing that he is elite player and player of the match pretty much every game :)
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#25 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Bagley :)
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#26 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:

That's true but a lot of the ones who do enter are always touted as one of the best players or potentially great in their league. I'm not saying euroleague guys can't be great but it doesn't help when guys like Mario, niko, and others come over and don't reach that potential.

Also hard for them when NCAA is more convenient for watching and meeting players.

Hezonja was not considered a great prospect in. Mirotic has been a productive NBA player, but his realistic upside was overstated here before his arrival.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#27 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Hezonja was not considered a great prospect in. Mirotic has been a productive NBA player, but his realistic upside was overstated here before his arrival.

Really because I vividly remember about 2 years ago people were really interested in him. The dude even had a nickname before coming but just now thinking about it his hype did calm down by the time he got drafted. I'm not saying either guy is trash or anything but I'm saying they got so much hype and haven't lived up to it.

Like I said them being overseas puts them at a disadvantage for the NBA. A lot of college guys don't live up to the hype but I would think a GM knows way more about a person in America than a guy from a different country. So the college guys are a bit safer in a sense. Devil you know vs the devil you don't ( or in this case know little about).
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#28 » by rtblues » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm

And, Marvin Bagley just commited to Duke University.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#29 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:

Plenty of American college players flame out too. There is no reason that Luka should be excluded from consideration MAINLY because he's European. You can have a problem with his actual prospects like any prospect should be graded but to exclude him because he's not an American college player is incredibly stupid.

It's thinking like this that saw Giannis go 15 and Gobert 27 in a very weak top of the draft.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#30 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:Bagley :)

Read on Twitter

OK now he's a Coach K guy, moves up my draft board.
We'll get to see A LOT of him since ESPN is always in Durham.

We'll get an early look here in the BIG 10 vs ACC Tourney at the UC, Duke plays Gonzaga and has games at MSG.
I want to see how the kid plays on the road in Chappel Hill.

That's the best experience potential draft picks can face. Hostile crowds on the road.
Still why I wanted Justin Jackson in this last draft, he went thru that 3 years.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#31 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:

Really because I vividly remember about 2 years ago people were really interested in him. The dude even had a nickname before coming but just now thinking about it his hype did calm down by the time he got drafted. I'm not saying either guy is trash or anything but I'm saying they got so much hype and haven't lived up to it.

Like I said them being overseas puts them at a disadvantage for the NBA. A lot of college guys don't live up to the hype but I would think a GM knows way more about a person in America than a guy from a different country. So the college guys are a bit safer in a sense. Devil you know vs the devil you don't ( or in this case know little about).
Hezonja was not playing like Rubio, Doncic, or even Bargnani was in their respective leagues.

There are international players who are busts and American players who are busts. It happens. Playing international basketball does not put you at a disadvantage, especially if you're playing in Liga ACB like Doncic is. The only disadvantage is that fans here stereotype every international player as the same player.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#32 » by BahamaBull » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 pm

I dont get all the hype on Bagley tbh.

I have Porter, Ayton, Mo Bamba and donkic ahead of him...easily.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#33 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:20 pm

McBuckets3 wrote:I dont get all the hype on Bagley tbh.

I have Porter, Ayton, Mo Bamba and donkic ahead of him...easily.
6'11 with the versatility, defensive instincts, rebounding and athleticism to impact multiple positions. Potentially a very high level two-way big.
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#34 » by Lauri_Legend » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Bagley is the next...who? He's a 6'11 player, similar size to Markkanen. Does he play a different position or something? Can anyone compare his game to an NBA player? I keep reading the word versatility. So versatility like KD or AD?
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#35 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:39 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Plenty of American college players flame out too. There is no reason that Luka should be excluded from consideration MAINLY because he's European. You can have a problem with his actual prospects like any prospect should be graded but to exclude him because he's not an American college player is incredibly stupid.

It's thinking like this that saw Giannis go 15 and Gobert 27 in a very weak top of the draft.

I also said that Americans flop too. I'm not excluding him from anything just adding a different perspective on why he may be looked at a certain way. Can't only look at things from your side of the fence. I never discredit anything about him.

So you prove my point which is that's some GMs might look at it how I explained it. Also even though you say giannis and gobert I can easily say bargnani and Jan vesely. But this was just meant as just a different perspective
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#36 » by Proven_Winner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Hezonja was not playing like Rubio, Doncic, or even Bargnani was in their respective leagues.

There are international players who are busts and American players who are busts. It happens. Playing international basketball does not put you at a disadvantage, especially if you're playing in Liga ACB like Doncic is. The only disadvantage is that fans here stereotype every international player as the same player.

Fair enough but I'm talking about the hype that was surrounding him. But again you're somewhat right that towards his time to enter he was not being hyped but he was years before the draft.

How so when again the NBA is in America (except the raptors) and a lot of the prospects are also in America. GMs literally can fly a few states to go watch a kid and keep tabs on him versus a kid in a entirely different country. But let's say I'm wrong then what's the explanation for the disparity between Americans and European players getting drafted? I'm not saying the euro competition is weaker never even tried to discredit them in that way I only bring up convenience.

Also yes they get lumped in a category because that's how the world works. When you see a ton more of one side than the other then of course you assume at least a bit off past history. For example white players get lumped as shooters and black players as athletes because we've seen just that so many times. Stereotypes come with the game no matter who you are. Look at ACL injuries we treat that like it's a death sentence in basketball despite the fact that you can come back from it. Once you tear it EVERYONE assumes you'll never be the same.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#37 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:52 pm

My new ideal scenario is for us to land the #1 or #2 pick, trade down, and still land Doncic.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#38 » by League Circles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:00 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:My new ideal scenario is for us to land the #1 or #2 pick, trade down, and still land Doncic.

Not that my opinion means anything, but I just watched his highlights for the first time. Seems like he has otherwordly ball skills, but seems sluggish without NBA athleticism. How do you see him? Seems like one of a kind. My first instinct is that I wouldn't be shocked if he either becomes an all NBA player or can't even finish his rookie deal because he can't get a shot or pass off against NBA athleticism.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Early in depth analysis of the 2018 draft 

Post#39 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:

Fair enough but I'm talking about the hype that was surrounding him. But again you're somewhat right that towards his time to enter he was not being hyped but he was years before the draft.

How so when again the NBA is in America (except the raptors) and a lot of the prospects are also in America. GMs literally can fly a few states to go watch a kid and keep tabs on him versus a kid in a entirely different country. But let's say I'm wrong then what's the explanation for the disparity between Americans and European players getting drafted? I'm not saying the euro competition is weaker never even tried to discredit them in that way I only bring up convenience.

Also yes they get lumped in a category because that's how the world works. When you see a ton more of one side than the other then of course you assume at least a bit off past history. For example white players get lumped as shooters and black players as athletes because we've seen just that so many times. Stereotypes come with the game no matter who you are. Look at ACL injuries we treat that like it's a death sentence in basketball despite the fact that you can come back from it. Once you tear it EVERYONE assumes you'll never be the same.

Just because stereotypes are available, doesn't mean you should succumb to them. Every case is different.

I think we all agree that America has the best basketball players in the world. The disparity is obvious and will never be disputed. But you shouldn't disqualify a player because he hasn't developed in this country. He should be evaluated like every other prospect is.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,515

Post#40 » by DuckIII » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Lets assume that we get the first pick and all 5 are available. And lets also assume that nothing changes until draft day. No injuries. Scouting reports stay the same, etc. I know thats a big assumption, but we are talking about this today after all.

So assuming all that, the most important thing to me is: Kris Dunn.

If Dunn shows he's a high level defender and quality ball distributor, that changes the math a lot. Because based on scouting reports and video, to me Doncic looks like the guy. I strongly believe we will be drafting very high up in the next three drafts at minimum. And the most unique, and given the type of uniqueness, important, talent is Doncic.

Not that you can count on anything, but we have Porter, Lavine, Lauri, Felicio, and in theory Mirotic. We have high end athletes, size and shooting. The piece of critical importance, if he is there, is the guy who can set it all up.

If that looks like Dunn, then scrap Doncic as the "the guy." But if Dunn continues his bust trend, then I say go with the playmaker now and look for more size and athleticism later.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls