Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen - Magic Markkanen Edition #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Re: Lauri Markkanen - Magic Markkanen Edition #2 

Post#1061 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Mark K wrote:
League Circles wrote:FWIW, if I understand correctly, Lauri pretty much played SF in the last pre-season game. Maybe the org thinks that that is a possible spot for him, where he would have very elite length and perhaps better than advertised foot speed to make his finesse vs physical style work. Not saying I feel any way about it or another, but it may be that the Bulls can envision Lauri as any of all three frontcourt spots potentially.

He didn't play SF against Toronto and the Bulls are giant idiots if they're thinking Markkanen can play SF.

I didn't really watch the game, but was basing that comment based on seeing Korver guard him in highlights in the previous game and then seeing him start alongside Niko and Lopez in the Toronto game. So Niko guarded the SF against Toronto?

I agree they'd be idiots if they think he can play SF, but I don't think they'd be idiots to try it out to make sure he can't. Cause if he could, that would be a huge plus. It's not unheard of for tall, not super quick footspeed guys to be able to guard SFs, such as Tayshaun Prince and AK47.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#1062 » by erlim » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

League Circles wrote:
Mark K wrote:
League Circles wrote:FWIW, if I understand correctly, Lauri pretty much played SF in the last pre-season game. Maybe the org thinks that that is a possible spot for him, where he would have very elite length and perhaps better than advertised foot speed to make his finesse vs physical style work. Not saying I feel any way about it or another, but it may be that the Bulls can envision Lauri as any of all three frontcourt spots potentially.

He didn't play SF against Toronto and the Bulls are giant idiots if they're thinking Markkanen can play SF.

I didn't really watch the game, but was basing that comment based on seeing Korver guard him in highlights in the previous game and then seeing him start alongside Niko and Lopez in the Toronto game. So Niko guarded the SF against Toronto?

I agree they'd be idiots if they think he can play SF, but I don't think they'd be idiots to try it out to make sure he can't. Cause if he could, that would be a huge plus. It's not unheard of for tall, not super quick footspeed guys to be able to guard SFs, such as Tayshaun Prince and AK47.

I'm all for playing guys out of position while we are trying to lose, but for gods sake, make Niko play SF and Lauri his natural position. Lauri at least has the ability to work towards a ceiling, Niko has been comfortably sleeping on his floor for years. Let Niko ruin his stock even more---nobody wanted to touch him with a 10 foot pole and we gave him a very very very generous contract.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#1063 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm

He should be 4/5 and keep emphasis on it, but as an added bonus and great strategical element, if there is any possibility he can be used as SF in some rare occasions, that'd be huge bonus in playbook. Mostly I can't see he can max his strengths there in any better way as 4/5. They know it and they just want to see him sometimes out of those most natural positions to see the possibilities. In very early development phase that's not so bad, but just please don't put him there too much. :D
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#1064 » by kodo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 pm

League Circles wrote:I didn't really watch the game, but was basing that comment based on seeing Korver guard him in highlights in the previous game and then seeing him start alongside Niko and Lopez in the Toronto game. So Niko guarded the SF against Toronto?

I think Niko was filling in for an injured Zipser, at SF.

It was a bit ridiculous because 6’ 10” Niko was guarding a 6’ 4” Norm Powell at times.

It shows our SF situation is particularly bad. Why did we trade Doug & Snell again? Whatever.
rowseyna
Veteran
And1: 864

Post#1065 » by rowseyna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#1066 » by Bandit King » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 am

Expect lots of Magic Markanen now! :lol:
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#1067 » by MC3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 am

He should have gotten this job and opportunity in first place before altercation.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Re: RE: Re: Lauri Markkanen - Magic Markkanen Edition #2 

Post#1068 » by Mbrahv0528 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:03 am

MC3 wrote:He should have gotten this job and opportunity in first place before altercation.

No he shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#1069 » by sco » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
MC3 wrote:He should have gotten this job and opportunity in first place before altercation.

No he shouldn't.

I think he's been the best of the 3 for pre-season, but it was Niko's to lose.
:clap:
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#1070 » by patagonia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:23 am

He should definitely play 30+ minutes a game since we don't have anyone else right now.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1071 » by Jcool0 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:

No he shouldn't.

Yes he really should have.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1072 » by GimmeDat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:

No he shouldn't.

I see we've streamlined the quality of debates here to simple 'Ya-Uh!' v 'Na-Uh!' arguments.

It's a debatable topic where multiple players have different merit to the starting position, but it's all a mute point now anyway because our other 2 PF's are out.

Let's have better discourse than this.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#1073 » by Chi town » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 am

Lauri should start at PF. Val at SF. Zipser as backup PF.

I think you will see Lauri score lots of points now that Portis and Niko won’t be getting any shots and Dunn and LaVine are out.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lauri put some 20 pt games early.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#1074 » by Jcool0 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:39 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote: No he shouldn't.

I see we've streamlined the quality of debates here to simple 'Ya-Uh!' v 'Na-Uh!' arguments.

It's a debatable topic where multiple players have different merit to the starting position, but it's all a mute point now anyway because our other 2 PF's are out.

Let's have better discourse than this.

Lets stay on topic. No need to call out other posters. Thanks.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lauri Markkanen - Magic Markkanen Edition #2 

Post#1075 » by Mbrahv0528 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:

No he shouldn't.

Based on what? He would be better served earning a shot through good play rather than just starting him because "reasons".

GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#1076 » by GrowingHorns » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 am

As a Finn basketball enthusiast i certainly was excited to see Lauri as much as possible, but I must agree: earning the starting position doing well in the first handfuls of regular season games would have been the best. Instead, now he gets it. It's not a big deal maybe, but it's always the best case scenario to play against competition as a rookie from the very start of season. Honestly, he probably would earned his spot on starting five sooner than later. Instead, it's given now and we did loose some value on Niko and Bobby to use them as trading goods next year. Oh well, I'm still happy that I see so much of Lauri right away.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#1077 » by Wingy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am

Wish he got to wait some, and have less pressure. For better or worse, here we go.

Would've been interesting to have had Lauri start later after shipping out RoLo, and sliding the Niko-Portis combo to center. That's obviously all out of whack now.
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#1078 » by Alcatraz17 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 am

Being handed the starting position vs getting a change to start due to an injury of another are different.

I am looking forward to him playing more minutes, and am excited hell get to play the 4 next to Rolo.

If him getting to start this early derails his career, he wasnt destined to be a player anyway. I dont think that will be the case though.

Lets go!!!
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#1079 » by erlim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 am

So

Grant/Holiday/Zipser/Lauri/Rolo

Man I'm getting 1999 Bulls vibes.

Anyway, Lauri has the keys to the car with LaVine out. Good luck young blood.

I'm guessing if Portis is out for 3 games or so, he will just hop in and Lauri will have to earn his minutes. I mean, whenever Portis gets back he's de facto starter---in a good basketball culture Portis would have to earn it back from Lauri, but under Fred and GarPax I'm not so sure. What does Doug Collins think about all this I wonder?
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,607
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1080 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 am

I don't want to see Lauri getting 30+ minutes per game. He's a rookie, its a long season, and I don't want him to hit that rookie wall too hard. Also, he was looking a little winded after heavy minutes in SL play. I'd like for him to get a feel for the NBA game without getting burnt out.

Return to Chicago Bulls