Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine Rookie Extension - what to do?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Re: Zach LaVine Rookie Extension - what to do? 

Post#1501 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 am

In Paxson's latest interview there is zero hesitation in him talking about LaVine's future in Chicago. He doesn't seem too concerned at all about his performance this year.

;t=321s
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1502 » by Axolotl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:44 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:In Paxson's latest interview there is zero hesitation in him talking about LaVine's future in Chicago. He doesn't seem too concerned at all about his performance this year.

Spoiler:

I don't really disagree on anything Paxson is saying there. I have more reservations than he lets out - but I'm sure he too has more reservations than he lets out. Company guy comes out with the best case scenario.

Sorry WCB, I had some tags in wrong order, it messed up the formatting in my post, and is now messing it in yours.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#1503 » by Taikuri » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Zach Lavine and max contract shouldn't be in same sentence. He shouldn't be anywhere close to that. Portis is due after next season and I'd rather pay him more than Zach what ever that amount will be. How much do you guys reckon Bobby should get if his next season is similar to this season?

I'm really just hoping Bulls draft a guard capable of creating his own shot so it's easier to not pay Lavine much.
sh0ck
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#1504 » by sh0ck » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:13 pm

asimpsonxd wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249393/Zach-LaVine-Not-Stressed-About-Free-Agency

Interesting. I read that as Zach doesn't think he's at the point of deserving the Max and they will come to a mutual agreement. I can see something in the $15M range be palatable for the F/O, even though many disagree on this thread

It feels like they're already setting up the narrative that he won't be getting the max because of "the market" rather than what the Bulls thinking of him going forward.

I do think the fans have been overly critical of Zach in year 1. A healthy off season with some continuity in the roster is going to help him a lot. The Lauri/Dunn/LaVine have yet to play long stretches of games together (or have any meaningful mins where they're not tanking).

Once those three start to develop some sort of chemistry (along with the two 1st rounders this year), I think people's opinion about Zach offensively will change.
Axolotl
Starter

Post#1505 » by Axolotl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:14 pm

asimpsonxd wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249393/Zach-LaVine-Not-Stressed-About-Free-Agency

Interesting. I read that as Zach doesn't think he's at the point of deserving the Max and they will come to a mutual agreement. I can see something in the $15M range be palatable for the F/O, even though many disagree on this thread

LaVine wrote: I see myself being an elite player in this league. I’m going to work for that every day until I get there.

Hard to interpret that any other way than LaVine knowing no max coming now. And in all honesty, it would have been delusional of him to think he would be getting max.

He will be better next season, maybe even fix his net negative stats...
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 472

Post#1506 » by poolshark52 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Can someone fix this particuar thread? Its nearly unreadable now. I feel like i'm in some alternate realgm universe.
Nwaba daba doo!
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#1507 » by AKfanatic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:49 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:In Paxson's latest interview there is zero hesitation in him talking about LaVine's future in Chicago. He doesn't seem too concerned at all about his performance this year.

Thanks for the link WCB. Good listen...though Breaking Bad has made it impossible for me to look at Paxson without seeing Heisenberg. Can’t really complain about anything Pax stated. He seemed pretty aware of the team and players weaknesses. I liked that he pointed out Dunn finishing in the paint and think he’s on point.

Regarding Zach, it will be interesting to see how the contract plays out. He could become an albatross or a complete bargain of a contract depending on where the chips fall. I’m hopeful that Zach comes back on a team friendly contract and the coaching staff works with him on making quick decisions to attack or swing the ball. LaVine really has all the physical gifts you hope for in a player and possesses the skill-set to really become a special player. He needs to work hard on his defensive stance and footwork on the defensive as well as the previously mentioned quick decisions.
asimpsonxd
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#1508 » by asimpsonxd » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:18 pm

yeah not sure what happened with the thread, looks like it messed up once i submitted my previous post
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,403

Post#1509 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm not sure why that post messed things up but I deleted it for you guys.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#1510 » by AKfanatic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 pm

asimpsonxd wrote:yeah not sure what happened with the thread, looks like it messed up once i submitted my previous post

Sometimes links make these boards go all stupid, I’ve posted links before only to see the board respond like that and had to delete the link.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#1511 » by Taikuri » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm not sure why that post messed things up but I deleted it for you guys.

Ty.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1512 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:13 pm

Taikuri wrote:Zach Lavine and max contract shouldn't be in same sentence. He shouldn't be anywhere close to that. Portis is due after next season and I'd rather pay him more than Zach what ever that amount will be. How much do you guys reckon Bobby should get if his next season is similar to this season?

I'm really just hoping Bulls draft a guard capable of creating his own shot so it's easier to not pay Lavine much.

There is no such player in our draft range and anything you find with the Pels pick(late first as of now) is likely to be underwhelming.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#1513 » by dice » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:28 pm

;t=321s

son of a bitch

either they've already agreed on a large contract or pax is actively undermining his negotiating position. either way, NOT. GOOD.
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Axolotl
Starter

Post#1514 » by Axolotl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm not sure why that post messed things up but I deleted it for you guys.

It was me, originally. Tags were in the wrong order, I had first "spoiler"-tag inside "quote" -tags, and the "end spoiler" outside. I fixed it, but it was already quoted.
Axolotl
Starter

Post#1515 » by Axolotl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 pm

dice wrote:son of a bitch

either they've already agreed on a large contract or pax is actively undermining his negotiating position. either way, NOT. GOOD.

Well, LaVine did the same to himself, so if they have not yet agreed to something, their negotiation positions have not changed.

But, by the looks of it, if they have not agreed to anything specific, they definitely have a mutual understanding of the situation.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#1516 » by dice » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Axolotl wrote:

Well, LaVine did the same to himself, so if they have not yet agreed to something, their negotiation positions have not changed.

But, by the looks of it, if they have not agreed to anything specific, they definitely have a mutual understanding of the situation.

I don't care if lavine is a bad negotiator. I do care if pax is

anyway, the fact that his head didn't explode when asked if he should get a max contract was pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1517 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:59 pm

dice wrote:
Axolotl wrote:

I don't care if lavine is a bad negotiator. I do care if pax is

anyway, the fact that his head didn't explode when asked if he should get a max contract was pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned

LaVine knows that he has not shown enough to warrant that kind of money, but he obviously isn't going to say that on record. It think it's pretty clear that both sides have some kind of understanding about his deal though. I don't think will get ugly or tense...nor will he be forced to go out and get deal and they match.
Axolotl
Starter

Post#1518 » by Axolotl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:10 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:LaVine knows that he has not shown enough to warrant that kind of money, but he obviously isn't going to say that on record.

He already said that on record.

Zach LaVine wrote:Max players are top of the line. ... I see myself being an elite player in this league. I’m going to work for that every day until I get there.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1519 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:16 pm

dice wrote:

;t=321s

son of a bitch

Yeah, what on earth would possess him to say that kind of ish. Unless, as you say, they already have a deal in place. Which would explain why a healthy Lavine is sitting out every game. This whole thing has a bad odor.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#1520 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Axolotl wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:LaVine knows that he has not shown enough to warrant that kind of money, but he obviously isn't going to say that on record.

He already said that on record.

Zach LaVine wrote:Max players are top of the line. ... I see myself being an elite player in this league. I’m going to work for that every day until I get there.

Yeah I guess he did say it in a round about way. Good to know he isn't delusional, but still has confidence in his ability.

Return to Chicago Bulls