Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine Rookie Extension - what to do?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,404

Re: Zach LaVine Rookie Extension - what to do? 

Post#1741 » by fleet » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:15 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
bueller wrote:Some Paxson quotes that make me think the Bulls won't overpay because they recognize Zach's current limitations:

"We need -- and I mentioned this to our team after Fred (Hoiberg) spoke to them last night -- Zach LaVine to be a better basketball player," Paxson said in reeling off LaVine's name with several others. "We need him to have a great summer."

“Well, the market dictates a lot on how things go," executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said.

That's code for the Bulls are ready to play hardball if needed.

https://670thescore.radio.com/bulls-john-paxson-market-dictate-zach-lavine-restricted-free-agency

I tend to agree. I hope you're right, Ferris.

I think the Bulls are in a good position to play hardball with him too. Let him go get an offer and then decide to match. There are only four teams with over $13M in projected cap space. Lakers, ATL, Indy and Sacramento. Maybe BKN.. The only team I see throwing a big offer at him is LAL, and I'm not even so sure about them doing it. Maybe the Kings. But, I think he's going to get lowballed (in terms if what he thinks he's getting) and I think the Bulls will match anything under $15M. Unfortunately.

And Philly right?

Lakers' money will be tied up all summer for LeBron. And you know LeBron. He will drag it out as long as he can. Attention whore that he is.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#1742 » by sco » Thu Jun 7, 2018 12:53 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:It’s as simple as this for me:

4 yr 48-60M - I’m doing without much thought.
4 yr 60-68M - I’m doing as long as the market calls for it.
4 yr 68-76M - Rich. My grits are getting cooked.
4 yr 76-84M - I’m walking away from.

So:

A) Can't we do 5 years - if so, I'm assuming you are ok in the $12-$15M per range?
B) What's your preference regarding a 1+1 or 2 year deal?
:clap:
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,616

Post#1743 » by Betta Bulleavit » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:11 pm

sco wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:It’s as simple as this for me:

4 yr 48-60M - I’m doing without much thought.
4 yr 60-68M - I’m doing as long as the market calls for it.
4 yr 68-76M - Rich. My grits are getting cooked.
4 yr 76-84M - I’m walking away from.

So:

A) Can't we do 5 years - if so, I'm assuming you are ok in the $12-$15M per range?
B) What's your preference regarding a 1+1 or 2 year deal?

We could do a 5 yr but I’m not sure that I would be interested considering that the market isn’t going to really mandate that. As far as the 2 year deal or even 2+1 type deals, I’d go much higher on the money due to the short term on the deal.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1744 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:29 pm

fleet wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
bueller wrote:Some Paxson quotes that make me think the Bulls won't overpay because they recognize Zach's current limitations:

"We need -- and I mentioned this to our team after Fred (Hoiberg) spoke to them last night -- Zach LaVine to be a better basketball player," Paxson said in reeling off LaVine's name with several others. "We need him to have a great summer."

“Well, the market dictates a lot on how things go," executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said.

https://670thescore.radio.com/bulls-john-paxson-market-dictate-zach-lavine-restricted-free-agency

I think the Bulls are in a good position to play hardball with him too. Let him go get an offer and then decide to match. There are only four teams with over $13M in projected cap space. Lakers, ATL, Indy and Sacramento. Maybe BKN.. The only team I see throwing a big offer at him is LAL, and I'm not even so sure about them doing it. Maybe the Kings. But, I think he's going to get lowballed (in terms if what he thinks he's getting) and I think the Bulls will match anything under $15M. Unfortunately.

And Philly right?

Lakers' money will be tied up all summer for LeBron. And you know LeBron. He will drag it out as long as he can. Attention whore that he is.

Oh, yeah. Philly would be able throw serious money at him... but, I don't see them wanting to chance a player like him. They will be saving their space for Lebron too. But, if BC is still making the calls, who knows what idiocy may occur.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
mrlancers
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Post#1745 » by mrlancers » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 am

This is not a good offseason to be a free agent in. Very few teams with cap space to sign players to big money contracts. And those that do have the space are going for bigger names or aren't ready to commit big money to these players and would rather use their cap space for iffy contracts that bring back picks.

This could be like Mirotic last summer all over again.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#1746 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:43 am

I wouldnt mind losing Zach at all,if someone offers him more than 14M per season.. let him go!
Nwaba, Kilpatrick, Valentine can be solid SG for one more rebuild season..
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1747 » by transplant » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I have no idea what other teams may want to offer LaVine, but from a Bulls perspective, LaVine is an ideal candidate for a "prove it" contract. Something like $11mil with a $12 mil player option in year 2.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#1748 » by BR0D1E86 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:22 pm

fleet wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

And Philly right?

Impossible to sign a contract when you almost had to have your hand amputated (lowers to a whisper) due to a bruise.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: Zach LaVine Rookie Extension - what to do? 

Post#1749 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:I wouldnt mind losing Zach at all,if someone offers him more than 14M per season.. let him go!
Nwaba, Kilpatrick, Valentine can be solid SG for one more rebuild season..

They're all older than LaVine and not as talented.

I think LaVine's standing is starting to be exaggerated. Granted, there are definitely scenarios where you would reconsider him as a long-term piece, but I think it's interesting that he's viewed as an expendable chucker here, but yet so many fans leaguewide are fawning over a similar player in Devin Booker. I bet there are some here who wouldn't hesitate to max Booker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,404

Post#1750 » by fleet » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
fleet wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

And Philly right?

Impossible to sign a contract when you almost had to have your hand amputated (lowers to a whisper) due to a bruise.

Well yes. Its tough to be LeBron. He'd like you to know all about his challenges.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1751 » by rtblues » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 am

The Bulls just have to wait, and as the big offers for Lavine invariably DON'T come in, because they won't, they will have all the bargaining power. I'd definitely be in "prove-it" mode with Lavine if I am the Bulls. I don't see him changing or morphing into someone he has never been over one Summer. Now, prove me wrong Zach, prove me wrong.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#1752 » by micromonkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:35 pm

IDK--there are stupid clubs and teams with money that when they strike out might want something to show for it.
But I hope it ends up being more OJ Mayo--where $4m gets the job done. I just don't see him amounting to much.

Even youth wise--there are younger guys who you can likely draft in mid first round that will end up being as good as he is already--with no ACL injury. He doesn't really do anything well enough to justify being any kind of building block.

Taking the sunk cost emotional bit out of it--I really would not go much over MLE money. He has never really shown much in the NBA and the injury only deflates his upside.
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#1753 » by Chi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:16 pm

The Bulls are very Lucky...

Due to circumstances we're about to sign 1 of the top SG's in the NBA for a ridiculous bargain.

And by the time he shows it this upcoming season, and everyone in Chicago finally realizes what we have, he'll still be locked in on that bargain contract.

I hope it's a long one...
TankOverlord
Junior
And1: 185

Post#1754 » by TankOverlord » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Chi wrote:The Bulls are very Lucky...

Due to circumstances we're about to sign 1 of the top SG's in the NBA for a ridiculous bargain.

And by the time he shows it this upcoming season, and everyone in Chicago finally realizes what we have, he'll still be locked in on that bargain contract.

Totally agree. He's a very good asset that we'd waste by letting him walk.
sco
RealGM

Post#1755 » by sco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:20 pm

This is a general statement, not a rumor update, right?
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#1756 » by Chi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:47 pm

sco wrote:

No, not an update...

Just getting it out there, once he shows everyone he's as good or better than Beal and CJ etc. he'll still be on that bargain contract that pretty much no one wanted to give him...
sco
RealGM

Post#1757 » by sco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Chi wrote:
sco wrote:

No, not an update...

Just getting it out there, once he shows everyone he's as good or better than Beal and CJ etc. he'll still be on that bargain contract that pretty much no one wanted to give him...

Too bad. Was hoping for some confirmation of a good deal pending.
Chi
Lead Assistant

Post#1758 » by Chi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm

sco wrote:
Chi wrote:
sco wrote:This is a general statement, not a rumor update, right?

No, not an update...

No but don't worry it'll happen during FA. He'll check the market, and he won't get the offer he thinks he deserves, and he'll be back here without much leverage. We'll get extreme value at extreme discount.

The 2yr "Prove it" deal doesn't sound that appealing to me... That means you'll have to pay him what he's worth in 2yrs just to keep him from leaving.

The Bulls messed this chance up a few yrs ago when they didn't want to give Jimmy the extra 4 or 5 mil in a $60Mil+ type deal (If I remember the numbers accurately).

They lost BIG on that 1. Because Jimmy "Proved It" after that. Then you had to pay him his "Real" worth.

Lavine is not different...
NesimLE
Junior
And1: 213

Post#1759 » by NesimLE » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Chi wrote:
sco wrote:
Chi wrote:

No, not an update...

No but don't worry it'll happen during FA. He'll check the market, and he won't get the offer he thinks he deserves, and he'll be back here without much leverage. We'll get extreme value at extreme discount.

The 2yr "Prove it" deal doesn't sound that appealing to me... That means you'll have to pay him what he's worth in 2yrs just to keep him from leaving.

The Bulls messed this chance up a few yrs ago when they didn't want to give Jimmy the extra 4 or 5 mil in a $60Mil+ type deal (If I remember the numbers accurately).

They lost BIG on that 1. Because Jimmy "Proved It" after that. Then you had to pay him his "Real" worth.

Yeah, a prove it deal gets LaVine onto the market unrestricted (potentially with a chip on his shoulder) in a market that will probably be better for free agents than this one is. We'd have zero leverage at that point to keep him aside from potentially a full max...
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#1760 » by League Circles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Chi wrote:
sco wrote:
Chi wrote:

No, not an update...

I'll never understand this thinking. Was Butler still not a great contract for us after he proved it? If Lavine gets a 1+1 deal and continues to suck, we just let him walk and we're all good.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls