Image ImageImage Image

OTish - Wade Baldwin getting cut

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Re: OTish - Wade Baldwin getting cut 

Post#21 » by FecesOfDeath » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Nwaba measures almost the same (6'4", 6'11" wingspan), but he's a better athlete and has a better motor and competitive spirit than Baldwin does. Baldwin is 4 years younger, but I doubt he's going to surpass Nwaba unless he seasons himself in Europe/overseas.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,620

Post#22 » by The Evidence » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Giving up on him this early is kinda premature... his 3PT % in college was way better.

I still think he has a chance to be serviceable/good.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#23 » by MC3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm

The Evidence wrote:Giving up on him this early is kinda premature... his 3PT % in college was way better.

I still think he has a chance to be serviceable/good.

Averaging 42% from 3pt line during 2 years of college basketball on 3 3PA. Guy like this dont forget to shoot.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#24 » by BahamaBull » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 pm

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#25 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm in 2 minds about this - really happy with the Felder pickup, but if he went elsewhere I'd definitely have been clamouring for Baldwin as well.

His rookie season was a bit of a shocker, but I do think there's potential to be a late bloomer there, from the bits I've seen he's improved his PG skills a bit and as others have mentioned, in college he seemed to be a very good shooter so you would assume he's better than he's shown so far in the league shooting the ball. And of course, he has lottery level physical tools.

There's really not room and he'd have a better opportunity elsewhere, but if we're willing to cut Payne, I do think Baldwin is a better talent to bring in. You can probably run him at PG or SG, maybe even SF as a pure stopper if we're shorthanded and otherwise he could get burn in the D-league.

Bit of a red flag that Memphis were willing to waive him, though Jarrell Martin and Mario Chalmers had great preseasons.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#26 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Baldwin is worth a waiver claim, though it shouldn't be ignored why he's on waivers to begin with. Even bad first round picks usually don't get cut after their rookie season. That's a huge red flag, especially coming from a team like Memphis who are big on intangibles and work ethic.
IcemanGervin
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Post#27 » by IcemanGervin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:42 pm

Yea If Fizdale didn't see it in him then he might not have it. Fiz is one of the best in the league.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#28 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 am

DuckIII wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Neither. Hopefully this just emboldens the FO to waive Payne. We don't need another point guard on the roster. Dunn, Grant and Archie are plenty for now.

I think Payne hant been cut yet because of injury, and because we basically gutted the team for him. I think the FO will try to include him in a trade or keep him on IR until next offseason.

The Payne trade sucked, but the only asset we actually traded for him was McDermott, who was regressing and playing like a bust in his third NBA season. We didn't even come close to "gutting the team" for Payne.

That said, I don't trust the FO to take their medicine like Memphis did and just admit their mistake to move on. I'm just saying I hope they do that. But they probably won't.

They traded a top second rounder when they had to know that if they didn’t do well in the playoffs that they’d maybe blow it up. Again, it was a terribly shortsighted and awful expenditure when they did it.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#29 » by SimonFish » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:23 am

Grizzlies waived two players on the same date and Wade Baldwin is the worse one.

The other player got waived was Rade Zagorac, #35 pick in last year draft. He is a poor man's Dario Saric, and I'd love to see a Balkan trio of Doncic/Zagorac/Niko on our team next season.
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#30 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 am

SimonFish wrote:Grizzlies waived two players on the same date and Wade Baldwin is the worse one.

The other player got waived was Rade Zagorac, #35 pick in last year draft. He is a poor man's Dario Saric, and I'd love to see a Balkan trio of Doncic/Zagorac/Niko on our team next season.

Zagorac doesn't look bad for a 6'9" SG/SF, and he's already signed for 3 years at the minimum (just over the minimum this season).

Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#31 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am

Shoutout to the Baldwin & Luwawu fans before last year's draft. You were wrong.
holv03
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#32 » by holv03 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:Shoutout to the Baldwin & Luwawu fans before last year's draft. You were wrong.

One season doesn't determine a player. Baldwin could turn out to be a very good player in the right situation.
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#33 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

holv03 wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Shoutout to the Baldwin & Luwawu fans before last year's draft. You were wrong.

One season doesn't determine a player. Baldwin could turn out to be a very good player in the right situation.

It doesn't? Have you ever read this board before? :lol:

Obviously one season doesn't determine a player, yet this board currently has 2 threads running on the front page asking whether or not a pair of players who have only played one NBA season (Dunn and Valentine) are "busts".
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#34 » by Chitownbulls » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Ryan Arcidiacono is NOT a NBA player.

Go get Wade Baldwin IV. Only 21yrs old
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#35 » by Flopper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Not sure I've ever seen a player test that well at the combine and then looks as slow and non-explosive on the court as he does.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#36 » by HomoSapien » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I didn't watch Baldwin in college or last season. His rookie stats are terrible. That said, it's pretty evident that he has a nice skill set and feel for the game in the clips that were posted earlier. It's odd for a team to give up that quickly on a first round pick, but it also wouldn't be the first time that a team judged a player far too quickly. I think there's a good chance that he's a better gamble than Payne and Arcidiacono;
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#37 » by R3AL1TY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:44 pm

I remember when this guy was this board's favorite. When you compare Valentine to him, at least Valentine can contribute with the 3 ball, some rebounding, and some assists as a bench player. It seems like there is no room on the roster for Baldwin, but he probably can get some G-League experience on Windy City to see how much he progresses.
holv03
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#38 » by holv03 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 pm

R3AL1TY wrote:I remember when this guy was this board's favorite. When you compare Valentine to him, at least Valentine can contribute with the 3 ball, some rebounding, and some assists as a bench player. It seems like there is no room on the roster for Baldwin, but he probably can get some G-League experience on Windy City to see how much he progresses.

All Baldwin needs is some playing time something he wasn't getting at Memphis. He could still become a solid player he showed some flashes last season in a limited role.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#39 » by PlayerUp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm

holv03 wrote:All Baldwin needs is some playing time something he wasn't getting at Memphis. He could still become a solid player he showed some flashes last season in a limited role.

He was awful last season. Worst offensive PG and played poorly defensively. He needs more than just playing time but is a far better option than Cameron Payne.

I don't see either PGs making it in the NBA.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#40 » by PlayerUp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:Ryan Arcidiacono is NOT a NBA player.

Go get Wade Baldwin IV. Only 21yrs old

Baldwin will get better offers. Arcidiacono on a 2 way contract and Baldwin will get a guaranteed contract somewhere for much more money. Bulls need to cut Pondexter or Payne to clear up space for Baldwin and even then I doubt he signs here because of how many PGs are currently on the roster vs going to another team he'll get minutes.

Here is our PG rotation right now.

Grant - Dunn - Felder

All 3 are better than Baldwin though I prefer to get rid of Grant personally and feel eventually Dunn and Felder will end up being the Starting PG and Backup PGs.

Return to Chicago Bulls