Image ImageImage Image

Mirotic/Portis - Portis suspended 8 games p71 Portis Interviewed

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Mirotic & Portis involved in altercation at practice, Mirotic hospitalized 

Post#1161 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:42 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Rerisen wrote:If this was the Knicks organization, or somewhere that had the reputation for dysfunction the last few years, like we do, Bulls fans would be all over casting a wide net.

First, that already happened here so no need for an analogy. Second, I wouldn't because it's silly. But you're certainly right that many Bulls fans would.

It's not silly when there is a culture of dysfunction exactly in which these type of incidents can brew.

Where one guy breaking his teammates face isn't just about you elbowed me in the ribs on the last play.
bpguimaraes23
Junior
And1: 317

Re: Mirotic/Portis - Portis suspended 8 games Cowley 47: Collins Upset/Details of Fight 

Post#1162 » by bpguimaraes23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Rerisen wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Summary of Cowley article:

- Portis and Mirotic haven't liked each other for quite some time.
- Teammates feel that Mirotic is entitled since he worked out by himself.
- Portis was angry that Mirotic was essentially gifted a starting job, and that it wasn't communicated to him properly.
- At least some teammates are siding with Bobby.
- Doug Collins is unhappy with the chain of leadership, starting with Forman.
- Boylen is trying to impress Forman and is angling for the HC job.

Sounds like the exact same crap as when the rest of the team felt Rose/Noah were getting preferential treatment and it poisoned the atmosphere, effort, sniping, everything.[/quote]

True, but the difference is that Rose and Noah were not playing well at the time. Specially Rose. Niko is better than Portis on both ends of the flor. Judging by the preseason, Portis should’t even be the backup as he was easily the worst big man.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Re: Mirotic/Portis - Portis suspended 8 games Cowley 47: Collins Upset/Details of Fight 

Post#1163 » by Risk Addict » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 pm

League Circles wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
sonny wrote:Or that Bobby actually knows how to throw a punch

No, I'm saying many players in the NBA probably know how to throw such a punch, but when these incidents happen purposely don't throw that kind of punch. Because they know its not to that level of seriousness, that their not fighting as if someone is trying to kill them and they need to incapcitate the other person.

The argument that if someone comes at you, you better be able to end it, doesn't make sense in an NBA or practice environment, because its never going to get that far, and past the first punch will be shortly broken up.

What youre describing (being angry enough to punch but deliberately throwing a softer, less serious punch than they are capable of has never happened in the history of people IMO.

It’s entertainment. It’s acting. You think lebron, Bosh etc really drawing offensive fouls??? Flop is acting... charging a player is acting bc Kirk Hinrich knows his teammates will “hold him back”....

A punch is uncalled for in a team practice. It’s malicious and I wish they would have cut the idiot
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1164 » by GimmeDat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Don't know that Niko was gifted the starting job when Portis played like ass all preseason.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1165 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm

League Circles wrote:What youre describing (being angry enough to punch but deliberately throwing a softer, less serious punch than they are capable of has never happened in the history of people IMO.

Thought you were an NBA fan, most of the 'fights' in the NBA consist of girly wide flailing punches.

These guys aren't as dumb as you make out, I think, and know most of the time they don't really want to take someone out cold, because it would jeopardize their career and of course income.

A basketball floor isn't an ally outside a bar, everyone knows in the back of their mind, the time limit on escalation in these scuffles is very short and it wont' last long. Just don't look like a sissy to your teammates and the crowd, fling some wild punches, look tough, and then get broken up.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#1166 » by League Circles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Risk Addict wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
No, I'm saying many players in the NBA probably know how to throw such a punch, but when these incidents happen purposely don't throw that kind of punch. Because they know its not to that level of seriousness, that their not fighting as if someone is trying to kill them and they need to incapcitate the other person.

The argument that if someone comes at you, you better be able to end it, doesn't make sense in an NBA or practice environment, because its never going to get that far, and past the first punch will be shortly broken up.

What youre describing (being angry enough to punch but deliberately throwing a softer, less serious punch than they are capable of has never happened in the history of people IMO.

It’s entertainment. It’s acting. You think lebron, Bosh etc really drawing offensive fouls??? Flop is acting... charging a player is acting bc Kirk Hinrich knows his teammates will “hold him back”....

A punch is uncalled for in a team practice. It’s malicious and I wish they would have cut the idiot

Of course a punch is uncalled for. Not sure what your comments about flopping have to do with my post. When a punch is actually thrown, it's always the same intent. There are no deliberately half hearted punches thrown as rerisen was claiming.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#1167 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Rerisen wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:OK, so basically the rules are different if a player is of a certain standard.

Therein lies the nub of this issue and people's perception of it.

Unfortunately this is true even of NBA teams and the league office though.

I don't know how they do things in jolly ole England, but it's true in almost every job I've had as well. I'm in my 50s, I've had a lot of jobs and a lot of employers in my life, and it was the same whether I was the boss or the worker bee.

In a widget factory, the guy who puts out 10 widgets per hour is going to get more slack from his bosses than they guy who produces 3 widgets per hour. If MJ would have broken Kerr's jaw, there's probably not even a suspension.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Mirotic & Portis involved in altercation at practice, Mirotic hospitalized 

Post#1168 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

League Circles wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
fleet wrote:Well its on everybody Who had a chance to resolve the underlying problem(s). If I'm Pax, In pulling in my coach for a meeting and asking him why he is down 2 veterans. And he better have a good answer.

It would be hard for the Bulls to justify NOT having such a response, where they cover all bases of this that could be factors, when like I pointed out way back in the beginning, they did hold the D-League in partial responsibility when one of our guys got knocked out there.

Do you have any evidence that they held the D league partially responsible?

They stopped sending any players to the D-league for several years. Pretty sure Pax even made a statement about it.
Habs72
Rookie
And1: 449

Post#1169 » by Habs72 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm

League Circles wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
sonny wrote:Or that Bobby actually knows how to throw a punch

You think :lol: ?
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#1170 » by League Circles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Rerisen wrote:
League Circles wrote:What youre describing (being angry enough to punch but deliberately throwing a softer, less serious punch than they are capable of has never happened in the history of people IMO.

Thought you were an NBA fan, most of the 'fights' in the NBA consist of girly wide flailing punches.

These guys aren't as dumb as you make out, I think, and know most of the time they don't really want to take someone out cold, because it would jeopardize their career and of course income.

A basketball floor isn't an ally outside a bar, everyone knows in the back of their mind, the time limit on escalation in these scuffles is very short and it wont' last long. Just don't look like a sissy to your teammates and the crowd, fling some wild punches, look tough, and then get broken up.

You are very wrong IMO. Yes, most "fights" are fake "hold me back" style. But when an actual punch is thrown IMO, it NEVER is done half heartedly in a deliberate way to "not be too serious". Punching someone is a reaction, it isn't usually a strategy for 98% of people.

Being in actual fights is not an accomplishment, but for most people, including most posters, who likely haven't, it may be easy to guess on motive ot intent, but for people who have fought IMO, they know it's way more simplistic than that.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,676

Post#1171 » by Dez » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

8 games is weak, contract should have been terminated or at the very least he should be out longer than Niko.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1172 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm

League Circles wrote:You are very wrong IMO. Yes, most "fights" are fake "hold me back" style. But when an actual punch is thrown IMO, it NEVER is done half heartedly in a deliberate way to "not be too serious". Punching someone is a reaction, it isn't usually a strategy for 98% of people.

Being in actual fights is not an accomplishment, but for most people, including most posters, who likely haven't, it may be easy to guess on motive ot intent, but for people who have fought IMO, they know it's way more simplistic than that.

Video evidence says otherwise. As well as damage resulting.

There have been how many punches thrown over the last say 20 years in the NBA, yet the hit rate matching what Bobby landed is miniscule, almost requiring a Rudy T like cheap shot to achieve.

Though its also true that very few 'clean' punches ever get thrown due to the ease in which these situations seemingly get interrupted before they happen, which makes this one all the more suspicious that it happened so fast no one could do anything.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#1173 » by dumbell78 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Both these guys aren't worth this trouble and drama. Portis should be moved soon and hopefully Niko feels like he wants out and agrees to a trade. Let Lauri get 30+ minutes going forward and Zippy backs him up since he's a PF anyways IMO.

Also I don't like the punishment not equalling the time injured payer will be out. Portis needs to be gone for 2 months. You see it in hockey quite often, guys gets slashed, out for the year and the violator gets 4 games.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#1174 » by stl705 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Agree that Portis needs to go. He's not even good, doesn't have any real potential... the only reason he's here is because the rest of Gar's drafts have been THAT bad.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Re: Mirotic & Portis altercation: upd Portis suspended 8 games 

Post#1175 » by MadGrinch » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Habs72 wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:
Indomitable wrote:This happens all the time. Move on or grow up is the answer.

Oh well that's that settled then, thanks buddha

You dont need to be a "buddha" by doing that, just a person with maturity.

why is the onus on portis to walk away or to deescalate ?

if nikola had not come at him at least twice ,

not shoved him at least twice

and then lunged at him

he wouldn't need surgery

he's at least 5 years older than bobby where are the calls for his maturity ?

if he had simply walked away when it was deescalated the 1st time we wouldn't need a near 60 page thread .

by all accounts now mirotic was the aggressor , therefore regardless of the outcome most of the blame for the altercation lies with him.

in the simplest terms , mirotic was the bully here

bobby didnt start the fight , he just ended it.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1176 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

If teammates detest Niko to the level they dodn't even think Bobby needed to apologize, then doesn't take much stretch to think no one was caring much to prevent Bobby from putting him down, and that's not absolving Niko's responsibility if he rushed forward. But makes you wonder.

Also why even bring Niko back on a new deal if he's that disliked.
Bulls_Fan
Head Coach
And1: 815
Location: Don't mess with the BULLS young man, you'll get the horns

Re: Mirotic & Portis altercation: upd Portis suspended 8 games 

Post#1177 » by Bulls_Fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Habs72 wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:
Oh well that's that settled then, thanks buddha

You dont need to be a "buddha" by doing that, just a person with maturity.

why is the onus on portis to walk away or to deescalate ?

if nikola had not come at him at least twice ,

not shoved him at least twice

and then lunged at him

he wouldn't need surgery

he's at least 5 years older than bobby where are the calls for his maturity ?

if he had simply walked away when it was deescalated the 1st time we wouldn't need a near 60 page thread .

by all accounts now mirotic was the aggressor , therefore regardless of the outcome most of the blame for the altercation lies with him.

in the simplest terms , mirotic was the bully here

bobby didnt start the fight , he just ended it.

Poor Bobby. I understand. He's a victim here. He was minding his own business when the evil, shot-chucking Niko attacked him. Whatever is he going to do to protect himself?
Bulls_Fan
Head Coach
And1: 815
Location: Don't mess with the BULLS young man, you'll get the horns

Post#1178 » by Bulls_Fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Rerisen wrote:If teammates detest Niko to the level they dodn't even think Bobby needed to apologize, then doesn't take much stretch to think no one was caring much to prevent Bobby from putting him down, and that's not absolving Niko's responsibility if he rushed forward. But makes you wonder.

I can care less about Niko Mirotic. I was hoping he would be out of Chicago this offseason.

That being said, i can give two craps what his awful teammates think of him. The only Bulls that matter on this roster are Lauri and LaVine. The rest are a bunch of bums who shouldn't be dictating what players stick around. They should be more concerned w/ elevating their horrid play to try to reach crappy level.
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#1179 » by stl705 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Rerisen wrote:If teammates detest Niko to the level they dodn't even think Bobby needed to apologize, then doesn't take much stretch to think no one was caring much to prevent Bobby from putting him down, and that's not absolving Niko's responsibility if he rushed forward. But makes you wonder.

You're questioning a franchise that went from ECF to bottom 3 team. Noone else was interested in Niko, the Bulls just signed him because "what the hell". We've seen 3 seasons in a row about Gar/Pax preaching culture, yet for 3 seasons going on 4 in a row, we've been one of 2 teams getting clowned/made fun of. The only team that gets it as much as us is the Knicks. Do we still believe Gar/Pax aren't toxic??
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1180 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 pm

So basically with it only being 8 games, Bobby gets what he wants? Fred better still bring him off the bench.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops

Return to Chicago Bulls