Image ImageImage Image

What should be the rotation now?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Fizer21
Ballboy
And1: 1

What should be the rotation now? 

Post#1 » by Fizer21 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 am

Seems like we will be short at PF for a long time so what do you think should be the rotation?
IMO Lauri Should start at PF and Nwaba at SF. I see extended minutes for Zipser at PF!
The good thing about the whole situation is that Lauri will see more playing time if he doesn't get into foul trouble!

What do you guys think?
Samo Levski (Sofia),Manchester United and Chicago Bulls!!
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Re: What should be the rotation now? 

Post#2 » by erlim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am

I don't think Portis should be out longer than 3 games. Maybe less. Meta World Peace got like 1 or 2 games for a huge cocked elbow that put James Harden out, right? I'm guessing Portis will be back before you know it.

I could see Portis getting 30+ mpg, Lauri 15-20.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#3 » by SimonFish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 am

interested to see the team going super small and play Valentine at PF at times.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#4 » by kingkirk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 am

SimonFish wrote:interested to see the team going super small and play Valentine at PF at times.

This would be distarious.

Lauri takes Mirotic's role, Zipser takes Portis', Nwaba gets the starting role from Zipser.

It's the most balanced way of handling it without giving 35+ minutes to Zipser at both forward spots.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#5 » by erlim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 am

SimonFish wrote:interested to see the team going super small and play Valentine at PF at times.

Felder-Grant-Holliday-Val-Zipser

Would be a very entertaining lineup to see.
SimonFish
General Manager

Post#6 » by SimonFish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 am

Mark K wrote:

This would be distarious.

Lauri takes Mirotic's role, Zipser takes Portis', Nwaba gets the starting role from Zipser.

It's the most balanced way of handling it without giving 35+ minutes to Zipser at both forward spots.

if our end goal is to get a high lotto pick, then Val at PF could do wonder.
Plus I remember some commentator said Val is like the "Boris Diaw of SG", so I'd be interested to see if Val could even do half of what Diaw did at PF.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by kingkirk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am

SimonFish wrote:if our end goal is to get a high lotto pick, then Val at PF could do wonder.
Plus I remember some commentator said Val is like the "Boris Diaw of SG", so I'd be interested to see if Val could even do half of what Diaw did at PF.

Tanking doesn't need to involve playing players so desperately out of position that they get destroyed.

It would be a bad decision. The crappy talent in their natural positions will take of it just fine.
SimonFish
General Manager

Post#8 » by SimonFish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 am

Mark K wrote:
SimonFish wrote:if our end goal is to get a high lotto pick, then Val at PF could do wonder.

Tanking doesn't need to involve playing players so desperately out of position that they get destroyed.

It would be a bad decision. The crappy talent in their natural positions will take of it just fine.

I don't see the downside of playing a 6'6" versatile player who can already play at 3 positions at PF for a short period of time.
Even Thabo played PF for a short period of time back then.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by kingkirk » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am

SimonFish wrote:I don't see the downside of playing a 6'6" versatile player who can already play at 3 positions at PF for a short period of time.

By saying Valentine can play 3 positions, I'm assuming you're suggesting he can play point guard, which he can't because he can't guard a point guard because he is far too slow, nor could he guard a four because he is a bad athlete who is too small and weak.
SimonFish
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: What should be the rotation now? 

Post#10 » by SimonFish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

Mark K wrote:
SimonFish wrote:I don't see the downside of playing a 6'6" versatile player who can already play at 3 positions at PF for a short period of time.

By saying Valentine can play 3 positions, I'm assuming you're suggesting he can play point guard, which he can't because he can't guard a point guard because he is far too slow, nor could he guard a four because he is a bad athlete who is too small and weak.

andre miller was slow, and diaw was considered small and weak too. i just don't see any downside to have an experimental run.

Sent from my HTC U11 using RealGM mobile app
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#11 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 pm

erlim wrote:I don't think Portis should be out longer than 3 games. Maybe less. Meta World Peace got like 1 or 2 games for a huge cocked elbow that put James Harden out, right? I'm guessing Portis will be back before you know it.

I could see Portis getting 30+ mpg, Lauri 15-20.

It depends on how it went down. Could be 3-5 games, could be waived. But regardless of what happens, if Portis gets double Lauri's minutes, that would be ridiculous. Lauri is a core player and it's not entitlement: he clearly outplayed Portis in the preaseason.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#12 » by MadGrinch » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:29 pm

lopez/feliciano
lauri/bobby
denzel/zipster
holiday/nwaba
dunn/grant

all the fight did was make sure nikola isnt the rotation ...and really there is no one else and everyone should be concerned with overburdening lauri until zach can come back.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#13 » by Andi Obst » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Definitely want to see some Zipser at the 4 now.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#14 » by CoachD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Knowing the Bulls F/O like you guys do, what's your best bet on how long before they make a Portis announcement?

Is anyone thinking Bobby gets a death sentence and is out altogether? I've read many people say they would like to see him released ... does anyone believe that WILL happen?

FWIW, if Portis is released, this is an instance where i'd be in fav of FULL ON collusion, and all of the GMs across the league deciding to not bring him in. At least not THIS season.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:29 pm

CoachD wrote:Knowing the Bulls F/O like you guys do, what's your best bet on how long before they make a Portis announcement?

Is anyone thinking Bobby gets a death sentence and is out altogether? I've read many people say they would like to see him released ... does anyone believe that WILL happen?

FWIW, if Portis is released, this is an instance where i'd be in fav of FULL ON collusion, and all of the GMs across the league deciding to not bring him in. At least not THIS season.

Again, it all depends on how it went down. The FO will have a short investigation and make a decision. I would assume it is announced today or at the latest tomorrow afternoon before the season kicks off.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Lineup excluding injuries and Portis:

Grant/Archie
Holiday/Nwaba/Val
Val/Zipser
Lauri/Zipser
Lopez/Felicio

And Lauri and Holiday should get the most minutes. Give Lauri every opportunity to run away and hide with the starting 4 spot.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#17 » by League Circles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 pm

DuckIII wrote:Lineup excluding injuries and Portis:

Grant/Archie
Holiday/Nwaba/Val
Val/Zipser
Lauri/Zipser
Lopez/Felicio

And Lauri and Holiday should get the most minutes. Give Lauri every opportunity to run away and hide with the starting 4 spot.

Yep. For one of the first times that I can remember, at least for the moment, the proper rotation isn't even in question.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#18 » by MarkDeeks » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Zipser should probably be a power forward anyway, even prior to this.
rowseyna
Veteran
And1: 864

Post#19 » by rowseyna » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Grant (36) / Arcidiacono (12)
Nwaba (18) / Blakeney (12)
Holiday (36) / Valentine (30)
Markkanen (24) / Zipser (24)
Lopez (24) / Felicio (24)
with Felder playing spot minutes...
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by DuckIII » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 pm

rowseyna wrote:Grant (36) / Arcidiacono (12)
Nwaba (18) / Blakeney (12)
Holiday (36) / Valentine (30)
Markkanen (24) / Zipser (24)
Lopez (24) / Felicio (24)
with Felder playing spot minutes...

There are not 66 minutes at small forward, and Holiday and Val need to be out there together. And next to Lavine (and to a much lesser extent Dunn), Markkanen is the current franchise. Zipser isn't.

Markkanen isn't some sort of raw prospect that strategically needs to be brought along slowly. Any depression of playing time is artificial, not organic. The previously existing artificial reason (pumping Mirotic's value to generate trade potential) is off the table for several weeks it appears. And Portis will be out for some period as well, and was being outplayed by Markkanen anyway. And we aren't actually trying to win.

Failing to play Markkanen major minutes, right off the bat, will be a sign of incompetence.

Return to Chicago Bulls