Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen - The Finnisher Edition -upd p92 Debut Tonight!

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Re: Lauri Markkanen - The Markksman Edition #3 - Merged 

Post#961 » by sco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

He definitely look a little stiff and didn't seem to have his legs under him when shooting.

Don't forget the fatherhood effect, which I expect to be there for the rest of the season.
:clap:
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#962 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Thoughts on the game against the wizards:

Lauri first half took lot more shots that were forced cause guys weren't looking for him.

2nd half it was almost like Fred yelled at the team for NOT passing him the ball. Players actually used him.

Thoughts schemes:
Fred is doing all he can to get this guy the basketball for whatever reason this team still adjusting to Lauri.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#963 » by Indomitable » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Lauri looked this way the last time he had time off. He takes a few games to find his timing.
:banghead:
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#964 » by Louri » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 am

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/no-bull-life-is-better-for-lauri-markkanen-when-kris-dunn-is-on-the-floor/

Good article. Seems that Hoiberg sees problem with Zach and Lauri and they are working on it.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#965 » by erlim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 am

Louri wrote:https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/no-bull-life-is-better-for-lauri-markkanen-when-kris-dunn-is-on-the-floor/

Good article. Seems that Hoiberg sees problem with Zach and Lauri and they are working on it.

It's worth giving them some time, they haven't played a huge volume of games together until now.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Post#966 » by Taikuri » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 am

There's a poll about rookie of the season on realgm basketball start page.

https://basketball.realgm.com/
bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,009

Post#967 » by bennjuiced34 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:09 am

Kinda crazy that Lauri has struggled with his shot through stretches and is still blowing away rookie shooting records. Honestly his shooting inconsistency has been the most disappointing thing about this season...and that was his elite trait. Kid is gonna be so damn good.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#968 » by Hugi Mancura » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am

bennjuiced34 wrote:Kinda crazy that Lauri has struggled with his shot through stretches and is still blowing away rookie shooting records. Honestly his shooting inconsistency has been the most disappointing thing about this season...and that was his elite trait. Kid is gonna be so damn good.

Actually Mitchell will get this. Lauri most likely will break current Lillard's record, but most likely Mitchell will have 10-20 more made 3 pointers in the end of the season. This all can chance if Lauri starts taking 10 3 pointers per game, because Mitchell seems to take about 8 per game. And that ain't happening.
Koristossu
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#969 » by Koristossu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am

A long article about Lauri's 3pt throws pace, and potentiality to break 3pt records compared to Lillard by YLE (Finnish Broadcasting Corporation). Article talks also about increasing importance of 3pt throws in contemporary NBA. Article is in Finnish but it contains some rather self-explanatory graphs.

Feb 14th 2018:
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-10072160

Could be worth of proper translation to English, but I personally lack both time and language skills to do that.

In graphs:
white = 2pt and red = 3pt percentages.
'Pistekeskiarvo' = average points/game

EDIT: The last graph is maybe most interesting as you can compare directly Lauri and his 3pt pace to various other players and their paces including Michell, Lillard, Kuzma, Curry, Tatum, Porzingis and so on. Graph shows cumulative 3pt average per each game. Note that red color change indicates games a player didn't play.
Bulls #24 - Wizball
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#970 » by VolumePoster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Louri wrote:https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/no-bull-life-is-better-for-lauri-markkanen-when-kris-dunn-is-on-the-floor/

I was thinking, last game, that he really misses Dunn. And apart from the Minnesota game, it was more a function of Grant at the point guard than Lavine getting shot happy.

It’s not that Grant doesn’t want to pass, either. He does. It’s just that, mentally, he’s consistently a beat slow. He doesn’t anticipate players coming open. Consistently, they flash free - he sees them late, passes elsewhere, and does a little wince of frustration. Game after game, it’s as if he doesn’t know who will be coming open, and when.

I do hope they’re spending as much time coaching up Grant as they are Dunn. I’m a lot higher than Kris than most, but it’s obvious Grant has some talents as well.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#971 » by Axolotl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

VolumePoster wrote:I do hope they’re spending as much time coaching up Grant as they are Dunn. I’m a lot higher than Kris than most, but it’s obvious Grant has some talents as well.

Agreed. At this point in time at least Grant is an adequate second unit PG. His game is not very eye-friendly, as he is often somewhat frustrating to watch, but he has been putting up decent enough numbers on a reasonable salary.

I do not see much of an upside in Grant, but if he is able to adopt a quicker decision making process (a major if), he will be less frustrating and probably impoves his stats as well.

Dunn is clear first choice now. Difference in stats between him and Grant is not huge, but differences in entertainment value and possible upside are.

And we haven't seen the last of commander Payne yet...

As for Markkanen, his usage in the Magic game seemed to be higher than usual. Maybe he lost his invisibility cloak, because not only were the others seeing him, but it seemed like they were actively looking for him.
erlim
Lead Assistant

Post#972 » by erlim » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm

VolumePoster wrote:

I was thinking, last game, that he really misses Dunn. And apart from the Minnesota game, it was more a function of Grant at the point guard than Lavine getting shot happy.

It’s not that Grant doesn’t want to pass, either. He does. It’s just that, mentally, he’s consistently a beat slow. He doesn’t anticipate players coming open. Consistently, they flash free - he sees them late, passes elsewhere, and does a little wince of frustration. Game after game, it’s as if he doesn’t know who will be coming open, and when.

I do hope they’re spending as much time coaching up Grant as they are Dunn. I’m a lot higher than Kris than most, but it’s obvious Grant has some talents as well.

I just get the sense that Grant is below the mean for NBA talent but in the top percentile of being impedingly terrified.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#973 » by The Box Office » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Since people are comparing Lauri to Dirk Nowitzki, Lauri surpassed Dirk's rookie year stats by tons. That's a great start. However, Lauri needs to get better at racking up assists. That would be huge for the team.

If he can be a perennial 27 ppg scorer, 10 boards, and 3 assists then he's absolutely a Franchise player. Time will show us.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#974 » by kodo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Axolotl wrote:As for Markkanen, his usage in the Magic game seemed to be higher than usual. Maybe he lost his invisibility cloak, because not only were the others seeing him, but it seemed like they were actively looking for him.

Magic decided to go smallball with Hezonja at PF. Bulls actively attacked that and threw the ball down to Lauri at the rim and low post. I feel it also threw off his normal repetitions and messed up his 3 point rhythm, but he scored well down low.

Markkanen is doing a lot of different things his rookie year, instead of most rookies who are asked to do just 1 thing and try to get that right. Heck, Grant is still in that mode now in his 3rd year.

Lauri would have better #s if he was just a stretch 4 and asked to just master that this season, but changing his roles & duties and throwing new challenges at him (like ballhandling recently) is good for his ultimate development.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#975 » by sco » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:14 pm

kodo wrote:
Axolotl wrote:As for Markkanen, his usage in the Magic game seemed to be higher than usual. Maybe he lost his invisibility cloak, because not only were the others seeing him, but it seemed like they were actively looking for him.

Magic decided to go smallball with Hezonja at PF. Bulls actively attacked that and threw the ball down to Lauri at the rim and low post. I feel it also threw off his normal repetitions and messed up his 3 point rhythm, but he scored well down low.

Markkanen is doing a lot of different things his rookie year, instead of most rookies who are asked to do just 1 thing and try to get that right. Heck, Grant is still in that mode now in his 3rd year.

Lauri would have better #s if he was just a stretch 4 and asked to just master that this season, but changing his roles & duties and throwing new challenges at him (like ballhandling recently) is good for his ultimate development.

Really good point. I was very much against Lauri playing anything but stretch four for the confusion reason, but he is such a smart and talented player, he has proven me wrong. In contrast, I think the Bulls blew it in developing Bobby - he has so many under developed aspects of his game...sad.
:clap:
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#976 » by ZOMG » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 pm

The Box Office wrote:Since people are comparing Lauri to Dirk Nowitzki, Lauri surpassed Dirk's rookie year stats by tons. That's a great start. However, Lauri needs to get better at racking up assists. That would be huge for the team.

Lauri is a very good passer, he's shown it quite a few times this season. But it all comes down to the ball movement of the whole team - you're willing to give the ball up and look for assists if you know you'll get the ball back too if you're open. The way the Bulls are playing now, ball movement is clearly worse than it was in December - and so is the off-ball movement of the players. Lots of standing and watching going on.

I guarantee Lauri would get a lot more assists if he got the ball more as a result of flowing ball movement instead of situations like "OK rook, here's the rock and there's 10 seconds on the clock, shoot your shot".
erlim
Lead Assistant

Re: Lauri Markkanen - The Finnisher Edition #3 

Post#977 » by erlim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Lauri seems like a sociable guy. I feel like he will probably end up recruiting somebody here down the road when he is further along in his career.
Derkach77
Junior
And1: 192

Post#978 » by Derkach77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:33 pm

TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#979 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Lauri talking with other rookies in Open Court. Too many short clips so bare with me.

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#980 » by PaKii94 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Lauri talking with other rookies in Open Court. Too many short clips so bare with me.

Thanks for putting this together! I wanted to watch this. This is a show right? is there any place to watch the full episode?

Return to Chicago Bulls